1394 to a computer & dvd Burner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally found a forum that may be able to help. I have a sony camera sending a signal to my computer via a 4p to 4p 1394 cable. I use the computer to record a live feed. The camera simple provides the image. I want to connect a DVD burner ( to record the live game) with the exact feed the computer is getting. It also has a DV IN 4p. The purpose is for college video recording ( I taping soccer for my college) and i use the computer and a secondary program called Dartfish to tag and record games, but we are required to give the other team a copy of the game. currently I am using two cameras which makes it very tricky. I want to use one camera, but possibly split the feed, using a repeater or such? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforcechris00 View Post

Finally found a forum that may be able to help. I have a sony camera sending a signal to my computer via a 4p to 4p 1394 cable. I use the computer to record a live feed. The camera simple provides the image. I want to connect a DVD burner ( to record the live game) with the exact feed the computer is getting. It also has a DV IN 4p. The purpose is for college video recording ( I taping soccer for my college) and i use the computer and a secondary program called Dartfish to tag and record games, but we are required to give the other team a copy of the game. currently I am using two cameras which makes it very tricky. I want to use one camera, but possibly split the feed, using a repeater or such? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

I'll take a stab at this...Certainly DVD Burners exist with 1394 interfaces. Something like this:
http://external-dvd-burner-review.to...ou-review.html

I think your biggest problem is going to be the software. If I understand you correctly you have two 1394a feeds going into the computer (one per camera). With a single feed coming in, you would need a recorder that will see that camera in the 1394 datastream, convert it to an MPEG2 datarate that will then fit on the DVD using the DVD burner.

I've used Sony Vegas Pro to select and read a 1394 stream and write it to a hard drive file. I'm not sure if it would allow that to be written to a DVD Burner. If so, you actually might be better off with a SATA DVD-Burner instead.

Sorry, I'm a bit scattered with the answer but I just don't know how well a DVD-Burner would work instead of a hard drive.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforcechris00 View Post

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean you want to use 1 camera.
You cannot record the exact DV ts onto a DVD disc and expect DVD players to be able to play it back since its not in DVD format.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page