Is there such a thing as firewire to hdmi cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to be able to connect a video camera that has firewire cable to my computer to save my hi8 and 8mm videos on my computer, but my computer does not have a firewire port. The computer has several usb ports and an hdmi port. What can I do?

Thanks for any assistance you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmom View Post

I need to be able to connect a video camera that has firewire cable to my computer to save my hi8 and 8mm videos on my computer, but my computer does not have a firewire port. The computer has several usb ports and an hdmi port. What can I do?

Thanks for any assistance you can give!

No, there is no FireWire to hdmi or FireWire to USB cable. If your computer does not have built in Firewire, you would generally need some kind of expansion card (such as a PCI-X card) to add FireWire capability (not possible with every computer though). The only exception I am aware of is with the newer Macs that have Thunderbolt ports.

Another option would be to capture the video with a FireWire equipped DVD recorder and then rip that to your computer (with some loss in quality).

Note: FireWire is also known as IEEE 1394(generic name) and i.LINK (Sony name).

post #3 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Liked: 18
post #4 of 5 Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post

A quick search on Google returns this result.

http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-Cable-Digital-Camer-camcorder/dp/B002WPUC5Y

The review ratio on this cable is terrible! eek.gif

If you are the user of a newer Mac, I recommend this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adaptor?afid=p219%7CGOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG-PLA
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post

A quick search on Google returns this result.

http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-Cable-Digital-Camer-camcorder/dp/B002WPUC5Y

Let's discuss why this is such a very very bad idea.

First of all, the protocols used by USB and IEEE-1394 (Firewire) are completely different. So when the Firewire port sends its 1s and 0s across to the USB port, the USB port won't know what to do with the 1s and 0s since they are in the wrong format. It's kind of like someone speaking English to someone who only knows Russian. It won't make any sense.

Secondly the speeds between 1394 and USB are different, so the devices won't even recognize the 1s and 0s.

Finally, the voltage levels used can be different. Luckily the 1394 side is only a 4-pin connector. If it had been a 6-pin 1394 connector there would be a chance that this cable would damage equipment, as well as not working.

The advice to find a card is correct. Some active device/card must translate 1394 data into something your computer can understand. BTW, HDMI would be even more difficult since HDMI transmits uncompressed video and 1394 uses MPEG2 compressed video. Also it is very rare to find an HDMI input port, which is what you would need.

You could see if you can borrow a computer that has a 1394 port. Many laptops from the mid-2000s had them. Save the files and send to your new computer.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page