Is Concast still mandated to provide firewire? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By m. zillch

post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2002 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Is Concast still mandated to provide firewire?

Comcast/Xfinity is insisting in mailings that I swap my Motorola DCH3416 for a new "X1 platform" DVR or else I may "lose channels" next month. I watch HBO mostly and don't care about any of the added new features that X1 may offer, but I am afraid if I lose this DVR box I may lose a functional IEEE 1394 firewire port I currently use to record HBO to D-VHS.

Talking to them on the phone about this is useless since "firewire" is not part of their CSRs' vocabulary. I also can't find a listing of what channels I will "lose". Anyone?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The CSRs might not know what Firewire is, but if the letter says you might lose channels, they should know what that is referring to. Do they?
Personally, I don't think you are likely to lose channels. Seems like a sales pitch.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-02-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No specifics, but in the FAQ section on their "HD Enhanced Program":

Question #2

Q. What happens if I don't switch my cable box?
A. You will lose access to some HD channels on TVs with older cable boxes.

Oh wait, I see , you mean the CSRs themselves should know what channels. Good point, I'll call them. If anyone else knows or can provide a list, that would be appreciated. Also a technical explanation along the lines of, let's say as an example, "They are switching to H.264 blah blah blah on channels x-z, etc." would be helpful.

edit to add: I called them. She had no knowledge of what model the new boxes will be nor if they have firewire. She claims all HD channels will be replaced, over time, one by one, switching from MPEG2 to MPEG4 format.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 10-02-2015 at 12:35 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Oh wait, I see , you mean the CSRs themselves should know what channels. Good point, I'll call them. If anyone else knows or can provide a list, that would be appreciated. Als a technical explanation along the lines of, let's say as an example, "They are switching to H.264 blah blah blah on channels x-z, etc." would be helpful.
Yes. My guess is that they are going to roll out H.264 in stages, with the least watched/premium channels being first to transition. Unfortunately for you (if my guess is accurate) that would mean your HBO would be affected relatively soon. Since the CSRs are clueless, you might go into a Comcast retail shop and see if the new cable box that you'd be getting has Firewire. From what I can tell, they are using the H.264 transition to try to up-sell you to X1, but I believe you can insist and get a tradition cable box that has H.264.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-02-2015, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't drive and getting to the stores is a real pain, but thanks anyways.

There used to be a mandate from the FCC that they must provide me with firewire if I insisted:

" Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any leased high definition set-top box, which does not include a functional IEEE 1394 interface, with one that includes a functional IEEE 1394 interface or upgrade the customer's set-top box by download or other means to ensure that the IEEE 1394 interface is functional. "

Source:
https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/part76.pdf

... but I don't stay up to date on such laws, i.e. I don't know what the current law says.

If anyone else reading this has any info on firewire functionality on the new boxes, please speak up. Thanks.

Last edited by m. zillch; 10-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I don't drive and getting to the stores is a real pain, but thanks anyways.

There used to be a mandate from the FCC that they must provide me with firewire if I insisted:

" Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any leased high definition set-top box, which does not include a functional IEEE 1394 interface, with one that includes a functional IEEE 1394 interface or upgrade the customer's set-top box by download or other means to ensure that the IEEE 1394 interface is functional. "

Source:
https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/part76.pdf

... but I don't stay up to date on such laws, i.e. I don't know what the current law says.

If anyone else reading this has any info on firewire functionality on the new boxes, please speak up. Thanks.
From what I've seen most new boxes only have 1 firewire port. I don't think d-vhs recording will work unless you have 2 ports on the unit. Don't know why as I'm only using 1 but that's been my experience and why I and my sister still have "old" boxes so I can still record to d-vhs off the dvr.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For anyone following this , my new Comcast DVR, Motorola RNG200N, has one firewire port and it works with my JVC D-VHS, even on HBO.
kitti likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-18-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Umm, having trouble today. I can't figure out if it is something I did or if there has been some recent change to 5C, HDCP, DRM, or whatever copy protection scheme might be blocking my use. I was in the midst of cleaning my D-VHS VCR right when this happened so it might be a coincidence or it might not.

Does anyone know how on the service menus of my Motorola Comcast box RNG200N I can interpret the status of the 5C and whatnot outputs? I can get to the screen which indicates the current status, but I don't know how to read things like: "CCI: 0x00 APS: 0x00 RC FLAG: 0x00 CIT:0x00 DRM:0x01 RS: FOREVER, It is all Greek to me but I know this is where I find this info, I just need a translation guide. Anyone? All I see on my VCR is a grey screen and it calls my I-link input "DCX-3500"

On my cablebox DVR service menu it says: 1394 enabled YES, Active NO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page