Can I do do this if I do not have a firewire port? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-15-2016, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Can I do do this if I do not have a firewire port?

I have a mini DV Sony camcorder, and it has a firewire (I-link) out. My old computer was a windows vista, and I had installed a firewire port years ago, but that computer has since died a few years ago.

My new computer is a Lenovo A720 all in one and has no firewire port or and expansion slots. Can I buy one of the newer external HDD (like the Fantom G Force (here is the link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fantom-Drives..._cd_al_qh_dp_t) that has firewire and USB ports and then connect the camcorder to the HDD, and then connect the HDD drive to my PC via USB and then download the MiniDV? I need a new external HDD anyways, so I don't mind spending more and just getting one of these drives and finally download all my MiniDV tapes before the degrade. They say that these HDD can be 'daisy chained' so I think it should be possible, but rather than trying, if someone knows for sure that would be great.

If it cannot be done, I would just buy a new PC and install a PCI card and go that route instead.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page