post #271 of 616 Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post

I have a question though...what are you guys trying to accomplish by getting this app to work with the unit? What I would like to do is be able to archive, or capture to the PC itself, in an effort to realize greater storage capacity for my recordings. I am not so overwhelmed with the ability to get a Stop, Play, Pause, etc., button on my PC to do what I could already do before.

Maybe this is useful for people who have a STB with only DVHS support?
If any of your content is 5C/Copy protected, forget archiving to PC anyway.
So for some people this could be useful as a tool to first record to AVHDD from their TV, and then later selectively archive to DVHS (using this app as a control for the process).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 616 Old 02-05-2006, 05:03 PM

For those with the DVR2160 I have a question. I'm looking to buy it but I want to be sure it'll work with my setup. Right now I have the cable going in the television and with that I get the digital subchannels of certain free station such as CBS, NBC, and ABC. So I also get HD for these channels. Would I be able to use this device to record the HD version of say ABC. The regular channel is 7 and the digital subchannel that has HD programs is 7-1. So if I bought the 2160 would I be able to record 7-1?
post #273 of 616 Old 02-05-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Name View Post

For those with the DVR2160 I have a question. I'm looking to buy it but I want to be sure it'll work with my setup. Right now I have the cable going in the television and with that I get the digital subchannels of certain free station such as CBS, NBC, and ABC. So I also get HD for these channels. Would I be able to use this device to record the HD version of say ABC. The regular channel is 7 and the digital subchannel that has HD programs is 7-1. So if I bought the 2160 would I be able to record 7-1?

Yes.
post #274 of 616 Old 02-05-2006, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. As long as your TV has firewire and supports AVHDD thru AVC.
post #275 of 616 Old 02-06-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

Yes. As long as your TV has firewire and supports AVHDD thru AVC.

I believe it has firewire. I'll have to check when I get home. What is "AVHDD thru AVC"?

Thanks for the reply.
post #276 of 616 Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post

Maybe this is useful for people who have a STB with only DVHS support?
If any of your content is 5C/Copy protected, forget archiving to PC anyway.
So for some people this could be useful as a tool to first record to AVHDD from their TV, and then later selectively archive to DVHS (using this app as a control for the process).

Gotcha. I have never owned a DVHS, so am unfamiliar of the operation/limitations of such a configuration. As far as the 5C issue, most of the stuff I record is tagged as "Copy Free" when I pull up the info on the AVHDD. The problem I face is mostly an issue of limited viewing time, combined with the size of HD capture and the relatively small drive sizes to capture on. So for me, once you already have the PC, essentially unlimited drive capacity is very attractive. I just can't find anything to do the trick, since Firebus won't play nicely.
post #277 of 616 Old 02-06-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe it has firewire. I'll have to check when I get home. What is "AVHDD thru AVC"?

Thanks for the reply.

AVHDD stands for Audio Video Hard Drive Disk and AVC is Audio Video Control firewire protocol.
post #278 of 616 Old 02-06-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMH View Post

hey fellow Seattler,

Do you use a cable card? I haven't got one yet.

To delete a tv programme, select it from the tv guide recording, press menu, then select delete episode.
Sometimes it will delete straight away, but you have to have another playback open first, otherwise it will delete after its closed.

Personilise tracks? They keep the title of the programme recorded, BUT you lose these titles when you have to resetup the guide or when the power is lost or when the RCA DVR is unplugged from the tv.

Do you find the KCTS-HD picture quality sometimes poor quality? They are cramming too many channels into their space.

Hey there..thanks for the reply. Are you still trying to cope with the officiating of the SuperBowl aaaaahhhrrggghh. I have the game on my DVR2160, and looks great, but would have hoped for a better outcome. Anyway...

I use Direct TV for SD, and have an OTA Terk antenna for my HD. How do you sync the DVR with the TV Guide feature? I have just been utilizing manual record. Have you tried it this way with Hitachi's screen menu--->in other words via IEEE 1394 Input? When you "list" the recorded tracks, there is no option to delete. Nor is there a way to check how much GB or time is left in the gas tank....
post #279 of 616 Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAHAWKS_1 View Post

I use Direct TV for SD, and have an OTA Terk antenna for my HD. How do you sync the DVR with the TV Guide feature? I have just been utilizing manual record. Have you tried it this way with Hitachi's screen menu--->in other words via IEEE 1394 Input? When you "list" the recorded tracks, there is no option to delete. Nor is there a way to check how much GB or time is left in the gas tank....

AVHDD provides a command to show percentage in use.
I can see it on my sharp LCD tv with another AVHDD recorder. I would imagine RCA should behave the same.

About recording, you should be able to browse EPG and select "record" on whatever show and select recording destination to the RCA box. Without TV telling to record it won't do anything as it has no idea about the TV guide itself.
post #280 of 616 Old 02-07-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:

AVHDD stands for Audio Video Hard Drive Disk and AVC is Audio Video Control firewire protocol.

Ok I checked I do have IEEE1394. I have something called TheaterNet Device Control System (1394/IR). Is this what you are talking about?

Thanks for all the help. I'm still learning what everything is about on this television.
post #281 of 616 Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I checked I do have IEEE1394. I have something called TheaterNet Device Control System (1394/IR). Is this what you are talking about?

Thanks for all the help. I'm still learning what everything is about on this television.

According to specs of some random Toshiba TV, it says
"Two IEEE1394 Ports (DTVLink)"
Assuming the firmware knows AVHDD protocol, it should work.
I'd call Toshiba or whoever and find out for sure.
post #282 of 616 Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:

AVHDD provides a command to show percentage in use.
I can see it on my sharp LCD tv with another AVHDD recorder. I would imagine RCA should behave the same.

About recording, you should be able to browse EPG and select "record" on whatever show and select recording destination to the RCA box. Without TV telling to record it won't do anything as it has no idea about the TV guide itself.

Actually I figured it out. JamesMH - you da man. Basically, I just went to the TV Guide feature of our Hitachi Plasma, and went to the "Recordings" list, from there you can delete, or view the percentage the recording take of the drive, etc. You cannot edit the titles, however it does auto set the channel/program titles from the broadcast....PERFECT. I might just buy another one
post #283 of 616 Old 02-07-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it is Toshiba TV then it will work. Toshiba sells AVHDD, which is exactly the same as RCA unit. They are identical inside.
post #284 of 616 Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 AM

Quote:

According to specs of some random Toshiba TV, it says
"Two IEEE1394 Ports (DTVLink)"
Assuming the firmware knows AVHDD protocol, it should work.
I'd call Toshiba or whoever and find out for sure.

That's exactly what I have. Thanks for the help explaining it.
post #285 of 616 Old 02-08-2006, 05:56 AM

Quote:

If it is Toshiba TV then it will work. Toshiba sells AVHDD, which is exactly the same as RCA unit. They are identical inside.

Yep I have a 46HM95. I have read that this unit is exactly like the Symbio which the manual says would work with the television. I just wanted to be sure this RCA unit was what I was reading before I went out and bought it and it wouldn't work. Thanks again for the help.
post #286 of 616 Old 02-08-2006, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep I have a 46HM95. I have read that this unit is exactly like the Symbio which the manual says would work with the television. I just wanted to be sure this RCA unit was what I was reading before I went out and bought it and it wouldn't work. Thanks again for the help.

It works on my Toshiba 52HMX94. The only problems I have are with the TV, it loses some of the channels on the cablecard once in a while. If I have a recording set on a channel that it "loses" then it can't record. I'm working with Toshiba on this but haven't gotten very far with them as of yet.

Love me some HD
post #287 of 616 Old 02-14-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

My 2160 arrived, with a loose screw inside (one of power supply board mounting screws was just rolling around inside the case). After voiding the warranty and replacing the screw, I can confirm that AVHDDPlayer indeed doesn't work. I traced the crash and it dies while getting root contents list, by allocating some huge amount of memory which doesn't exist

Recording works good, I recorded like 30 seconds of olympics in HD, but playing it back there was a couple glitches in video and sound, almost like bitrate is too high or something.

I'll poke around in the disk image of it when I get free time.

What is the ATSC/QAM cable bitrate in u.s.?
post #288 of 616 Old 02-14-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
timecop,
I have two of them and the second one had a screw out from the power supply board also. I put it back in and saw that the other ps screws were most of the way out and tightned them up. It worked OK after that. John
post #289 of 616 Old 02-14-2006, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My 2160 arrived, with a loose screw inside (one of power supply board mounting screws was just rolling around inside the case). After voiding the warranty and replacing the screw, I can confirm that AVHDDPlayer indeed doesn't work. I traced the crash and it dies while getting root contents list, by allocating some huge amount of memory which doesn't exist

Recording works good, I recorded like 30 seconds of olympics in HD, but playing it back there was a couple glitches in video and sound, almost like bitrate is too high or something.

I'll poke around in the disk image of it when I get free time.

What is the ATSC/QAM cable bitrate in u.s.?

Bitrate does not matter. This drive can record 20-30 Mbps. Glitches are probably in recording that MPEG decoder can't correct on playback.
post #290 of 616 Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 PM

I just received my 2160 today (from HDToyStore) to use with my Mitsubishi ws-65907 and Promise Module. Did everyone else receive a NEW factory sealed unit???? I certainly didn't. I can't tell if mine is a refurbished unit, a return or what. The unit was in a loose covering, the cables were unwrapped with loose cable ties, the was NO manual, NO registration cards. There was no remote but it appears that there is not supposed to be one since the TV controls the DVR.

The site, HDToyStore, certainly didnot indicate that this was not a new unit. I'll be contacting them tomorrow for either a new replacement unit or a refund and return.

What did you others receive??? New or refurb???

Mike
post #291 of 616 Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine (ordered early feb) was definitely new / unopened.
The black shiny cardboard box it came in was shrink-wrapped with some heavy plastic and the cables and manual were inside a plastic bag + tie wrapped. Other than the loose screw which doesnt seem to be an isolated incident (yes, I noticed the other power suppy screws weren't too tight either), there was nothing to show this unit has ever been opened.

p.s. there is no remote to go with it.
hope your promise module supports avhdd.
post #292 of 616 Old 02-14-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bitrate does not matter. This drive can record 20-30 Mbps. Glitches are probably in recording that MPEG decoder can't correct on playback.

Great, as soon as I figure out how to fix avhddplayer, I'm looking forward to trying to dump video from my HDR-HC1 to it for educational purposes.

You seem to know so much about these, are you a RCA employee? Heh.
post #293 of 616 Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM

I tested the 2160 with the Promise Module and it did record part NCIS. Unfortunately in the middle of the recording the Promise module suddenly lost the time and the recording stopped. I was able to rewind and fast foward while it was recording.

It's time for a new unit.

Mike
post #294 of 616 Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 AM

UroDoc- My 2160 from HDtoystore was new, not refurb, but I ocassionally have the "lost time" problem you experienced anyway. Mine's connected to a Mits 65869 HDTV which has the integral tuner & firewire rather than the promise module. I'm fairly certain the problem is on the HDTV end rather than the 2160 end because power cycling the 65869 with the 2160 left on usually clears it. --hourglass
post #295 of 616 Old 02-15-2006, 02:22 PM

Liked: 19
My 2160 from HDtoystore was new but also had the loose screw !!!
In fact, all the mounting screws for the power supply and interface boards were loose. A quick look at the interface board and I'm pretty sure it was built by Indigita (has their chip & name on the CCA). No RCA to be found.
I threw out the the cheapo plasic side panels since they will only make it run hotter.
The unit is connected to a Sharp LCD D5U series with TV guide feature but it has issues !!!! Still plying around with it to determine if the problems are the 2160 or the TV's interface (my guess right now is the TV) ??

Anyone else have this connected to the sharp D5U series ??

Good luck
Todd
post #296 of 616 Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 PM

Hello all, I have been using this unit with my HP LC2600N, recording works fine, but I am unable to figure how to schedule a recording or to access the TV Guide feature. Also wondering how to record standard definition cable, currently have only been able to record OTA HD signals. Has anyone tried using it with this model line, and if the scheduling and SD recording features are even available. Thanks.
post #297 of 616 Old 02-15-2006, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great, as soon as I figure out how to fix avhddplayer, I'm looking forward to trying to dump video from my HDR-HC1 to it for educational purposes.

You seem to know so much about these, are you a RCA employee? Heh.

I do not work for consumer electronics company and never have. I just love this stuff.
post #298 of 616 Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 PM

Brief follow up.
HDToystore contacted me and stated that they only sell new units and that I probably received a returned unit by mistake. They have shipped out a new unit to me and have scheduled a UPS pickup of the original unit.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Mike
post #299 of 616 Old 02-15-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post

Anyone else have this connected to the sharp D5U series ??

Good luck
Todd

Recording / playback works fine with my LC37AD5 but I don't know how different that is from your model. It is 2005/4 model or something similar.
post #300 of 616 Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 AM

I am wanting to use this with a new TV I am going to help my in-laws get... So exactly what TV's does this thing seem to work well with?
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page