Indigita AVHD IEEE 1394 Hard Disc Drive - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 616 Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking of getting a store demo 56MX195 for $2k (actually first it was a 62HM95 untill i saw the bulb life) and everything looked great untill i saw the post about the average PC resolution for this TV, max of 768x1024.

"Here we have their best "1080p" display that will not even handle 1280*720p, let alone its own native resolution of 1920*1080 @ 60fps. Shame, shame, shame!"

I was hop[ing for 768x1366 for better quality images from a PC.

I need a large screen to present high quality photographic images and 16:9 slide shows and movies from a PC. Was looking at plasma but will get screen burns eventually from a PC.

One thing I noticed about digital TV specs is that some screens are listed with a PC resolution i.e 768x1366 and some TV's are listed with a video resolution of say 1080i, whatever that is. Whats the diff? Are the ones with the video resolution listed as the default resolution not meant for PC output? Are the ones with a native PC resolution of 768x1366 better for PC's? All digital TV's have video and PC resolutions listed, how do i tell which ones will display a PC signal at its best?

roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 616 Old 05-24-2006, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya I can't believe places will try to sell you a 1024x1024 plasma as "HD".
Who are they kidding.

To answer your question, check HDTV displays subforum, or to summarize, the ones that advertise a PC resolution usually have D-Sub or DVI inputs, and ones that only advertise '1080i' do not but that's not a general rule.
post #453 of 616 Old 06-02-2006, 12:47 PM

I called Samsung tech support 2 days ago and told them that the TVguide firmware is crippled for HLR (Aug 2005) sets. It doesn't support controlling the RCA2160. The TV recoginizes the 2160, but won't let you use the advanced features of TVguide to record. If you go to the TVgos.com websit they indicate many control features for the AVHHD recorder...only Samsung has an old firmware and won't update it. I know Toshiba and Mits update theirs all theirs quite often. I wrote Samsung and told them they sold me a bag of goods since they aren't going to make it work right. So far all I got back was an automatic response. This will be my last Samsung product if they don't make it work right. All I can do with my RCA2160 now is record what I'm watching and pause or rewind and then continue. I can't set it up to record unattended. It gives me a great picture in 5.1 DD, but doesn't offer enough capabilities. If your a Samsung owner and pissed like me, please right them and sound off.
I'd like to keep it if someone can tell me a STB it will work with for programming.

UPDATE: I got a cryptic email back from Samsung saying that they are working on a firmware update...the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. It also asked me to call Samsung back and describe my problems...just make it work!!!! I called back and after 20 mins of "all techs are busy", I got 1st level tech and immediately asked for higher level...since 1st level told me that there is no update planned. Well higher level was clueless to whether they are working on new firmware or not...so he took my complaint and someone will call me next week. I'll let you'all know.
post #454 of 616 Old 06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Aside from the VD Guide part, there isn't a separate menu to do a manual recording from the TV??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #455 of 616 Old 06-08-2006, 12:55 AM

Roger Beck,

There several Toshiba owner's threads that detail connecting a computer to Toshiba TVs, including the model you own. Do a search for these:

Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD

The Official Toshiba 56/62/72 MX195/HM195 HTPC FAQ Thread

This issue is covered in detail in those threads.

However, the short answer is that the low resolutions you mention are only for an analog (VGA) connection from the computer to the TV. If you use a video card with a digital (DVI) connection, as is used for connecting a digital flat panel monitor, you can connect to the TV at either 720p or 1080i using a $15 DVI-to-HDMI connector cable.

I believe you'll find that the consensus is that Nvidia-based cards are the way to go if you want 1080i, otherwise ATI and Nvidia can both do 720p easily. Based on my experiences trying to connect my 56HMX195, I can verify that this is true.

Good luck!

*** Sorry about the off-topic post, but I've been distracted by the $25 RCA 2080 DVR deal (see the postings in this forum or visit techbargains). With $7.95 shipping, it's taking all my willpower not to get one, even though it's "only" 80MB and I really have no use for it! ***
post #456 of 616 Old 07-11-2006, 01:26 AM

You can buy a DVR10 or DVR2080 on the cheap from Ebay right now. It seems like people who bought a bunch of RCA DVR from Thompson are finding out the limited market for these DVRs and some are selling below cost.

There is one guy selling it for $30 shipped, which is below what they paid to Thompson. I hope this will teach those Ebay profiteer not to scoup up every deal by buying everything in sight, hoping to make some quick bucks. The 80G hard drive in the DVR10 or DVR2080 is worth $30 by itself.
post #457 of 616 Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 AM

When I hook up the 2160 to my RCA DLP one of two things happens:

- it will not recognize it in the 1394 screen (i.e. TV doesn't know it's connected)
- TV gets a "1394 loop error" or something like that (not at home now to check)

Usually after I get the error message, I can no longer get to my TVGOS screen and I have to reboot the TV to get the TVGOS back - one time it required the restart of the TVGOS altogether (enter zip code, etc.)

I know the 1394 was working at one point as I had tried the one month trial of the Firebus software and was able to get my computer recognized and record some HD successfully. I did not pursue this as the computer I have near the TV is not powerful enough for playback and the Firebus software is pretty buggy.

Anyone else seen these errors or have any idea what to try next? I have a Mitsu 2000U DVHS on order (needed a new VCR anyhow and they are priced right) so I will check to see how this works.
post #458 of 616 Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

What is the difference between a DVR10 and a DVR2080? They are both 80GB drive.

I use a DVR2160 fine with my Hitachi tv.
post #459 of 616 Old 07-12-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Previous revision of indigita chip.
probably nothing important
post #460 of 616 Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

I have the DVR10 connected after the DVR2160, both work great.

Now I just wish the clock on the TVGO would correct itself.
post #461 of 616 Old 07-19-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I just posted this at the LCD forum but this might help others decide about this box if they have an HP OEMed Sharp LCD TV. Note if your HP/Sharp has onscreen guide not all of these comments apply:

I just got ahold of a RCA AVHD cheap on Ebay and was playing around with it along with my LC2600N.

Rant No. 1: It amazes me how badly consumer electronic makers are at designing usability. From the manuals I had completely failed to realize that all of the TV remotes transfer control buttons (FF, REW, PAUSE, PLAY, REC, etc) are completely ignored when using a iLink/Firewire device. Instead you push the iLink button which displays an on screen menu of buttons to push and you must use the arrow keys to highlight the on screen picture of the buttons and then use the select key to press them. They could have at least allowed the remote setup for the DVR button to have an option for iLink device and then allowed the real buttons to do the same thing. This weekend I will be seeing if I can program macros for a learning remote to make these usable.
(BTW it appears even the Sharps with guide did it this horrible way).

Rant number 2: It has always annoyed me that the set doesn't display what is playing when you press the Info button (since that info is in all HD streams). When you use an AVHD it does pass the title of the show and the channel number to the recording title so this proves the TV already has the logic to extract that info from the broadcast stream.

rant 3: I knew this from reading this thread over the months alread but if they bothered to put in iLink at all couldn't they have at least supported the screens for timed record (they could have done that without having guide).

rant 4. If you use this to continuously timeshift it has no capability to loop when it gets full. If timeshifing HD, once every 9 or 18 hours (depending on your capacity) you will need to delete the buffer and start recording again. They have a loop option on play they could have done the same for record.

On the good side the picture is as good as the original and the device is quiet.

Since I got the AVHD cheap I didn't feel I needed lots of value added out of it (especially since I have an HD DirecTivo). But with the usability this bad I may resell it to someone with a set that has better iLink capability.

Any other owners have any tricks to make this more usable?
post #462 of 616 Old 07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, thats the best you can do.
Silly that play/stop/ff buttons on your remote don't operate the device, but out of like 3 different sets I've used with AVHDD, they all had the same function - you'd bring up a i.link 'control panel' on screen to operate the transport. Nothing really stopping the manufacturer from doing it with buttons though, just laziness.
post #463 of 616 Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Do any of the DVR10/DVR2160's actually have their own remote, or does 100% of everything go through the tv's remote?
post #464 of 616 Old 07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMH View Post

Do any of the DVR10/DVR2160's actually have their own remote, or does 100% of everything go through the tv's remote?

Everything goes thru the TV using its remote -- even the on screen controls completely depend on your set. The sample pictures in the manual are all based on the RCA Scenium DLP sets but you actually have to use the iLink section of your displays manual to see what really will be available.
post #465 of 616 Old 07-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post

Nope, thats the best you can do.
Silly that play/stop/ff buttons on your remote don't operate the device, but out of like 3 different sets I've used with AVHDD, they all had the same function - you'd bring up a i.link 'control panel' on screen to operate the transport. Nothing really stopping the manufacturer from doing it with buttons though, just laziness.

My Sony KDL-L40HVX remote RM-J1100 has discrete buttons for PLAY/PAUSE/STOP/FF/REW that work fine with both AVHDD and D-VHS devices. It also has a pop-up i.Link panel as well. The additional functions available on the i.Link panel that are missing remote buttons are 10 minute skip (forward/backward) and 30 second skip.

I imagine that issuing the IR codes from a universal remote will probably work on most AVHDD capable Sony sets even if the included remote is missing the buttons. Now if only I could find the IR codes for 30 sec and 10 min skip.

One major annoyance with this set though is that is takes me about 10 key presses to get into the menu for the programs recorded on the DVR2160. Some of it I have automated with my MX-700 remote, but not all of the required keypresses can be automated.
post #466 of 616 Old 07-19-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMH View Post

Like Paul_PDX said, the RCA DVR10, DVR2080, and DVR2160 must be controlled 100% by the TV. The only other similar units that I know of that actually DO come with their own remote are the I-O DATA REC-POT series of recorders available here in Japan. I'm not sure about their most recent unit, but their earlier REC-POT F series had the ability to show up as either AVHDD or virtual D-VHS machine to the TV, making compatability less of an issue. The downside is that for about $375 - $450, these are quite a bit more expensive than the RCA units.

As soon as I-O DATA comes out with one that will allow me to burn shows on to DVD, I will probably pick one up. Even so, this 600GB is awfully tempting. It may be worth it to spend the money on one of these since my DVR2160 seems to become glitchy and refuses to record every couple weeks or so.

P.S. For those outside of Japan that want to get their hands on these units, there are several online buying services that will drop-ship to other countries for a mark-up. I know of people that had good luck with two of the more popular services, but YMMV.
post #467 of 616 Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Hi,
Trying to understand why new DVR10 doesn't work with my new Samsung HL-R5667W tv, I found the IEEE 1394 trade group's site & this list of approved devices. The DVR10 is on the list but the Samsung HL-R5667 is not. The Samsung has two ports identified as IEEE 1394 and the owner's manual of the tv has many references to the technology but, sadly, it doesn't work.
1) Has anyone been successful hooking an IEEE 1394 device to a Samsung HL-R5667W?
2) Has anyone been successful connecting non-listed IEEE 1394 devices together?
I wonder if listing with the trade group is required or significant or else just an often-ignored formality. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I've been mislead to think that this tv has capabilities that it doesn't actually have.
Thanks
post #468 of 616 Old 07-21-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Find someone nearby with a DVHS deck you can loan.
Chances are, D-VHS can connect properly.
If it does, then you can start bothering Samsung for updated AVHDD firmware.
If it doesn't, then you're probably out of options, or you can bother them for firmware that acutally enables firewire ports.
post #469 of 616 Old 07-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roebling View Post

Hi,
Trying to understand why new DVR10 doesn't work with my new Samsung HL-R5667W tv, I found the IEEE 1394 trade group's site & this list of approved devices. The DVR10 is on the list but the Samsung HL-R5667 is not. The Samsung has two ports identified as IEEE 1394 and the owner's manual of the tv has many references to the technology but, sadly, it doesn't work.
1) Has anyone been successful hooking an IEEE 1394 device to a Samsung HL-R5667W?
2) Has anyone been successful connecting non-listed IEEE 1394 devices together?
I wonder if listing with the trade group is required or significant or else just an often-ignored formality. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I've been mislead to think that this tv has capabilities that it doesn't actually have.
Thanks

The DVR-10 did not function properly with my Toshiba 50HP95 either, everything else does, so I returned it.
post #470 of 616 Old 09-02-2006, 01:48 PM

I was in a store the other day and saw an AVHDD plugged into a Mits. Unlike the others I'd seen, this one actually had a logo - CinemaVu. A quick search of google reveals that Indigita seems to have set up its own - non OEM - line of AVHDD. One of the sources even had a 500GB version.

Has any one tried either taking a disk from a 250 and placing it into a 160 OR imaging the 250 and replicating it into the 160? I'm thinking that imaging the 500 might be a generally useful thing assuming the underlying hardware isn't locked to a specific size.

Mike
post #471 of 616 Old 09-02-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I offered a 160gb image for those who were bored and wanted to play with it, but I guess only one person accepted and I havent heard from them since, shows how much interest is in these boxes
post #472 of 616 Old 09-05-2006, 08:53 AM

Timecop....somehow I missed your posting regarding the image....have you made an image and tested it? Did you try it on a larger drive? Did you use ghost?

I would be interested in a copy if it's possible!

Thanks!
post #473 of 616 Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 AM

I have been successful in moving an image over to a larger drive. It is completely functional, but it retains the original partition size on the target drive. I have not been able to resize or create larger partitions.
post #474 of 616 Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I can't find the post where I offered this image, either.
I know I did, but the search feature is currently failing me.

Anyway, here's the offer: You can download 3.85gb sector-copy image of DVR_2160 that I made using http://www.opensourceforensics.org/tools/windows.html (basically dd.exe) from me - privmsg me for download info. Up to you what to do with it. Maybe exploring the filesystem (or lack of it), trying to fit it into a bigger drive, trying to resize partition, etc.
post #475 of 616 Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 PM

FYI. I bought the Toshiba 160HD4 which I belive from posts here is the OEM from Indigita. WHile it claims only to work with Toshiba, It works as adverstised and well witht he 2007 Mitsubishi DLPs. While recording I can change channels or inputs, but thats not a problem with the recorder, but my selection of a single tuner TV.
post #476 of 616 Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 AM

The 160hd4 can be found now for $100 new.
post #477 of 616 Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 AM

For those of us who missed the $25 deal
Beach audio has the DVR-2080 for $62.99
http://www.beachaudio.com/product_in...ducts_id=74306

Has anyone put the 160gb drive from the 2160 in the 2080 yet?
If not, I'll let you know how it turns out
post #478 of 616 Old 09-27-2006, 08:16 AM

post #479 of 616 Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by largdiag View Post

The 160hd4 can be found now for $100 new.

Where?.
post #480 of 616 Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

Where?.

Yeah, where??? At that price I'd buy two!
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page