Indigita AVHD IEEE 1394 Hard Disc Drive - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Perhaps there was a reason they were $126..notice the price now..

what tv are you using and how well do it work?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post

Thats a lot. Glad I got one of these when they were $126 shipped on Nov 8th.

Two questions:
Anyone know how to hook up a Dvr2160 so I can send the recorded shows to my computer?

Also, how do I install a larger HDD into a Dvr2160?

thanks

$126? How did you get that deal?
post #33 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 07:30 PM

TV is an RCA HD50LPW42. It recognizes it under the IEEE 1394 connection menu. Haven't tried it yet cause I just got back in town today. The deal was posted here.
They ran out of stock in a few hours and the price jumped once the place got more in stock. I think it is only guaranteed to work with RCA HDTVs.
post #34 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Perhaps there was a reason they were $126..notice the price now..
what tv are you using and how well do it work?

You sure this wasn't that older smaller HDD model that RCA sold?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #35 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I received a e-mail probably similar to what Kipp K. received today;
Quote:

The units are available in 160GB and 250GB capacities and can be purchased via our online order form. Although Indigita mainly sells directly to Original Equipment Manufacturers, we are developing a retail based website to answer general questions an end-user may have. This should be operational by the end of the month.

He also said;
Quote:

The AVHD drives are specially formatted to maintain the 5C content protection and are not user installable or replaceable.

Sounds as some retail/Hollywood scam to me. Someone else needs to chime in here on that one. "Not user replaceable" Yea, right. And there are really weapons of mass destruction out there.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #36 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

"Not user replaceable" Yea, right. And there are really weapons of mass destruction out there.

Well I know you can replace the hardrive without a problem, I just don't know if it will automatically reformat it for your or if there is a special partition on those drives that has some certain information on it. I am thinking if you could "image" the original hardrive and put that information on your replacement hardrive, you would have it made....does this make sense to anyone else???

Kipp

Mits 1080p DLP WD-52628
Mits WT-46809
Dish HD DVR 942
Sony DVP-NS70H
post #37 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Formatting is one thing, imaging is another.
I'll have to ask the question in some of the computer forums I visit.

post #38 of 616 Old 11-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Re: AVHD

Does not appear to be nearly as useful as say the LG LST-3410a which does all of the above with any TV, has user swapable automatic reformatting hard drives, and is compatible with 169time recording from satellite as well as harddrive transfer to an Apple computer.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #39 of 616 Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Well.. the DVR10 and my Mits 62725 just don't get along..some of the pre-recorded material on the drive would play, but it wouldn't record due to having a conflict with recorded material..so I deleted all on the drive, but it still shows that
it has 6 hours and 35 minutes stored. if I schedule a record, it will go into record for about 30 seconds and then drop out.

Off to play more now..

are you trying this on OTA or QAM? I have the same problem with the cablecard and QAM on the 2160. OTA seems ok so far.
post #40 of 616 Old 11-16-2005, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Only tried QAM's at this point..will try OTA tonite..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #41 of 616 Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds interesting... I own a Mitsubishi 52725 DLP and would be interested in a firewire based HD DVR... I have a Mits. HD2000U DVCR that works only when recording material from the ATSC tuner fromt he TV. The QAM tuner does not work with the DVCR because of the way the cable company multiplxes several digital channels on one channel. The Mitsubishi TV sends out the entire channel stream rather than the tuned subchannel over the link causing the DVCR to choke as that exceeds the supported bandwidth.

From the specs on this particular DVR, it seems it may very well work with the QAM tuner the way it is... I bet the RCA DVR10 does not demux the full channel stream thus resulting in a failed recording.
post #42 of 616 Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Formatting is one thing, imaging is another.

You're right, I was just thinking out loud, if you can swap drives will it reformat...If it won't reformat, can you just make an image of the original drive and perhaps get the information on it that is needed to be recognized by the unit onto another hardrive.

Kipp

Mits 1080p DLP WD-52628
Mits WT-46809
Dish HD DVR 942
Sony DVP-NS70H
post #43 of 616 Old 11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I won't quote the whole e-mail, but he are the interesting parts of one I received from Indigial;
Quote:
The AVHD drives are specially formatted to maintain the 5C content protection and are not user installable or replaceable.

Quote:
The AVHD is designed specifically for today's new Digital Cable Ready HDTV's. Unlike the 3410, the AVHD incorporates 5C encryption and is able to record authorized copy protected programming from DCR TV's. Although the LG product has a built-in tuner, it was designed in 2003 and its tuner/decoder is already out of date. It also acts as the controlling agent for the incoming video, using the HDTV as nothing more than a monitor. I believe it even converts the signal to analog before output to the TV. If you have a "HD Ready" TV, this may work great. If you just spent the money on a new DCR HDTV with a top-of-the-line HD decoder and built-in TV Guide, then it is not even an option.

Notice the "specially formatted" part. Also notice "not even a option".

Others have mentioned trying accessing the HDD with Lynux and trying a TiVo hack.

post #44 of 616 Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Did anyone figure out about the 1080p source material on this device? I just bought a new Toshiba 62hm195 and just for kicks I would love to see the "1080p" display icon on my screen. Since this set can't do 1080p over HDMI maybe Firewire is its only hope. Thanks for any input!
post #45 of 616 Old 12-05-2005, 01:19 PM

I bought a DVR2160 super cheap (<$100 shipped) the week before Thanksgiving from a place called HDToystore. I hooked it up to my Toshiba 52HM95 and it works ok. I'm having issues with a couple of things, but I really feel it's the TV.

Here's what I've sent to Toshiba Customer Support about the issue (Don't tell them it's not a Toshiba Symbio AVHD or they probably won't help you):

If I pause live TV (local HD broadcast from Ant1 input) and resume playback, I have audio. However, if I try to fast forward through commercials (or between plays) I loose all audio during normal speed playback. Once I get back to live tv (not time shifting via the AVHD), the audio returns until the next time I pause and repeat the scenerio.

My other issue with the digital recording has to do with timer recordings. If I schedule a recording(either manually or via the TV Guide), the only way to stop it is to modify the record event to end one minute later. For example, if it is 6:45 and currently recording a 6:00-7:00 program, the only way to cancel the recording is to go into the program and manually set the end time for 6:46 and wait. Very annoying!
Equally annoying is the fact that when it is recording, I can't use any other inputs on the TV. I can't record off the antenna input and watch a DVD on the HDMI input. Is there something I'm missing here?

My only other question is, I don't seem to be able to pass audio from the HDMI input to the optical output. When I watch a DVD from my Toshiba SD-V593 via the HDMI input on the TV, I have audio on the TV, but it doesn't seem to pass the audio out the optical output on the TV to my receiver. TV sound (from the tuner) is output from the optical output to the receiver and sounds great. Is there a setting I'm missing to pass the digital audio from the HDMI input to the optical out?

Their reply was, feel free to contact technical support at 1-800 blah blah blah...

Anyway, I thought I'd post it all to see if anyone here had any ideas. I'll hook it up to my PC tonight to see if I can see anything on the drive or figure out what format the drive is using.
post #46 of 616 Old 12-05-2005, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the tip on HDToystore. I ordered a 2160, as well.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #47 of 616 Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Bxz

Will u be able to get the content out of the box to ur pc HD? other wise u have to delete some when it's full if i understand correctly?

thx
Bxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

Thanks for the tip on HDToystore. I ordered a 2160, as well.

post #48 of 616 Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 PM

Why are those RCA DVR2160 so cheap??? I just ordered one and noticed that the MSRP is $549.00. Sweet deal!
post #49 of 616 Old 12-06-2005, 07:30 AM

Gdub72 - You need a digital coax cable going from your DVD player to your receiver. Keep the DVD to Toshiba HDMI and keep the toslink from Toshiba to AVR.

This will give you 5.1 on DVD's and Cable stations outputting in 5.1
post #50 of 616 Old 12-06-2005, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone venture to get one of these for either the Sammy, Mits or Toshiba sets?

post #51 of 616 Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah... does anyone with a Mitsubishi set have any one of these products... I personally am interested in anyone who can record from cablecard/QAM tuner to one of these...
post #52 of 616 Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone venture to get one of these for either the Sammy, Mits or Toshiba sets?

These are normal AVHDD. They should work with any firewire TV that supports AVC. I have Toshiba Symbio, (Toshiba says it is only for Toshiba TV's but they just do not want calls from people with other TV's that mau not work correctly) and it works perfectly with my Sharp LCD and Samsung DLP. On Samsung though TV Guide sucks as it has no option to record to firwire devices so no timer recording. No problem on Sharp however.
post #53 of 616 Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

What about with the Samsung SIR-T165?
The t165 sammy user guide does say support for AVHDD
post #54 of 616 Old 12-06-2005, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode1 View Post

What about with the Samsung SIR-T165?
The t165 sammy user guide does say support for AVHDD

I do not know. You have to try it.
post #55 of 616 Old 12-06-2005, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

CKNA; is there any problem recording analog channels or QAM channels that are 'in the clear' (no CC)?

post #56 of 616 Old 12-07-2005, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
These devices sound similar to the IOData RecPot on sale in Japan. These are being used by Panasonic in the UK to demo their HD Ready plasmas, along with a Japanese set-top box to provide MPEG2 decoding duties. The RecPot seems to be an iLink hard-drive that emulates a D-VHS VCR (and in the case of Panasonic is shipped to dealers with a Panasonic branded 1080/60i HD demo loop recorded on it)

http://www.iodata.jp/prod/multimedia...-hdf/index.htm

Is the product page - sadly I'm only one term in to my japanese course...
post #57 of 616 Old 12-07-2005, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One term further than I.

For kicks and giggles, I tried to contact all 3 of the numbers on their site, The one for Texas isn't a distribrutor anymore and the other two don't serve my area. Guess NJ is too far away. Two of the three companies reported problems getting ahold of them.

I did manage to get another cellular number for California that I will try.

post #58 of 616 Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD_Terp View Post

yeah... does anyone with a Mitsubishi set have any one of these products... I personally am interested in anyone who can record from cablecard/QAM tuner to one of these...

I have a Mits 52628 DLP. I'll report my findings when my 2160 arrives, but I anticipate no problems with recognizing the device. Timers, on the other hand, may be a problem.

Edit to reflect I meant the RCA 2160.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #59 of 616 Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

I have a Mits 52628 DLP. I'll report my findings when my AVHDD arrives, but I anticipate no problems with recognizing the device. Timers, on the other hand, may be a problem.

thanks! What I am specifically interested in is when the cableco muxes a few channels on to one stream. A DVHS device can't handle that much bandwidth..
post #60 of 616 Old 12-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Has anybody tried this on a Sharp LCD? Specifically any of the newer 5U/7U units?
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page