post #181 of 616 Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch View Post

i just bought a DVR2160 myself and i would like to know how to get the replay & skip functions to work from the remote from a Mitsubishi set (WS-55613)? what codes or buttons to press? thanks.

My Mits will induce a skip (might be 30 seconds) by hitting the channel up or down button when the DVR is playing. Good for getting through commercials fast. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 616 Old 01-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

From my call to Mitsubishi.... I should be hearing from a higher level person to complain to. Been searching several things on the net and trying to get names & emails for when I finally blow my top!

DVR2160....
According to the manual, if you check the third level of the DTV Link setup:
Select the third level if you want to continuously record (buffer) digital programs and autotune the TV to the DTVLink component by pressing most transport buttons. When the DVR is turned on, it begins recording digital channels. The continuous recording creates a temporary live-TV buffer by continuously recording a digital channel.

Notes from the second selection:
Pressing RECORD while you watch a digital program tunes the DTVLink device and begins recording. This lets you watch the program you're recording and use Instant Replay, Jump Ahead, and time-shifting while still recording the program.

I have not gone back to the setup of the Mits to see if I can change anything there that may allow the Mits to view the device as a different type of device (AVHDD).as opposed to a DVR or visa versa..

Just got mine. HDtoys $111.99 and was delivered next-day by UPS.

I just hooked-up the RCA DVR2160 to my Mit WS-65511. My netcommand is v2.0 and I have no menu to change sub-channels or change from the default recorder settings (opt#1). Luckily only FOX has a sub-channel (Tube) and it will record both just fine. I can program recordings up to 7 days out, weekly or daily. I work nights so it is just in time for the playoffs.

I called Mits and they are sending a netcommand update for me. It should be here Mon or Tues. Don't know what improvements it will have if any, will find out. Just happy they had an upgrade for my 65511.

I can use the DVR2160 as a HD-VCR but can only pause and skip (forward and backward) while it is recording a program. On my 65511 I can watch any video input while it is recording a digital program (Dish508, VCR, Dish6000, DVD, X-Box). If I switch to analog input (cable) it stops recording.

I'm happy with it and the picture is great. I'm looking forward to my netcommand update to see if I can activate the buffer (opt#3) so I can watch and pause live HD.

Dish 508
Kenwood VR-409 w/ JBL Studio 5.1 setup
Sony DVD
X-Box
RCA DVR2160 w/Firewire
Florence, CO

Sharp 60LE810UN /wall mounted
Yanaha HTR-5063 - JBL Studio speakers
Dish ViP-722
post #183 of 616 Old 01-08-2006, 01:05 PM

MitsuHelp- It looks like you have a SA 3250HD STB, MIts HD2000U DVCR, and Mits 55513 HDTV.

I have/(had) a similar setup- SA 3250HD/Mits HD1100U/Mits 65869, but I could never get the 3250HD to put a picture on the 65869 via firewire as long as the DVCR was also in the chain. It would output a picture to the HDTV if the DVCR was disconnected, AND, I could manually record firewire out of the 3250HD if I ONLY connected the 3250HD and DVCR. My fix was to dump the 3250HD. (I put it on another TV).

Based on the posts here (thanks to all) I've ordered a DVR2160 from hdtoystore today. I realize that you bought one hoping that you could turn in your 3250HD, but due to the multiple subchannel issue, that isn't the case. I'm just hoping I can bring the SA 3250HD (SARA) back into my main system by substituting the DVR2160 for my Mits 1100U DVCR.

While I'm waiting for the UPS truck, I hoping you could answer a few questions for me:

1. Do you currently have your SA 3250 connected via firewire to your 55513 along with the DVCR and the DVR2160?

2. Before you had the DVR2160, did you use the 55513 to control firewire recording (e.g. timer) from the 3250HD to the DVCR?

3. Can you now use the 55513 to do timer recording between the 3250HD and the DVR2160?

4. Is there anyway to record from the 3250HD to the DVR2160 WITHOUT the 55513 in the loop? (I could do manual recording this way with my DVCR, but it has a manual record button on it. I don't see any buttons on the DVR2160.)

I'll report back my "luck" with the the DVR2160 next week!

--hourglass
post #184 of 616 Old 01-08-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

My Mits will induce a skip (might be 30 seconds) by hitting the channel up or down button when the DVR is playing. Good for getting through commercials fast. John

HEY, That works great! Thanks

Dish ViP-722
post #185 of 616 Old 01-09-2006, 05:09 AM

[quote=hourglass]MitsuHelp- It looks like you have a SA 3250HD STB, MIts HD2000U DVCR, and Mits 55513 HDTV.

While I'm waiting for the UPS truck, I hoping you could answer a few questions for me:

1. Do you currently have your SA 3250 connected via firewire to your 55513 along with the DVCR and the DVR2160?

YES...

2. Before you had the DVR2160, did you use the 55513 to control firewire recording (e.g. timer) from the 3250HD to the DVCR?

YES... on the 3250, I would schedule the recording, then I would schedule the recording on the Mits as well. You don't have to do the programming on the 3250 but this way if I forgot and changed the channel, the 3250 would change back at recording time.

3. Can you now use the 55513 to do timer recording between the 3250HD and the DVR2160?

YES... the same way as above. I hit record on the Mits remote and set the recording through the Mits.

4. Is there anyway to record from the 3250HD to the DVR2160 WITHOUT the 55513 in the loop? (I could do manual recording this way with my DVCR, but it has a manual record button on it. I don't see any buttons on the DVR2160.)

Don't think so?.... The only way that I have been able to record is via the netcommand.

As far as your working with the 3 all connected...3250, Mits & the DVHS...that's odd. Does your Mits see the 3250 when you connect it and you define it in the netcommand? The netcommand device that is created when the 3250 is first connected to the Mits I lable it 3250FW. If I want to see the FW connection from the 3250 via FW, I just change to the device 3250FW.....it takes a few seconds for the picture to start but I can view through the FW.

You will like the 2160...it's great! Let us know how it works! Hay... is that a UPS truck I hear?
post #186 of 616 Old 01-09-2006, 06:56 PM

I got my 2160 today, It records OTA just fine, like a couple others I cannot get it to record cable HD channels. IT records for a couple seconds then nothing. Does anyone know if there is a way to override the Mits menu and instead allow me to use the RCA menu that is built in to the DVR.
That gives me the option to choose what subchannel i want, the Mits menu does not. I have the Mits wd52525 with latest firmware 4.05.
Thanks
post #187 of 616 Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Anyone know if the 2160 has an IR that can pick up a signal from a remote? If so maybe there is a remote out there that will allow us to control the DVR that way instead of with the TV's menu we can use the RCA menu. Amazon lists this item as coming with a remote, I can't find anywhere else that says this device has a remote.
post #188 of 616 Old 01-09-2006, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No remote comes with it. I doubt that it can even receive a signal from a remote. The menues are made by the controlling device (TV). John
post #189 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjr92 View Post

I got my 2160 today, It records OTA just fine, like a couple others I cannot get it to record cable HD channels. IT records for a couple seconds then nothing. Does anyone know if there is a way to override the Mits menu and instead allow me to use the RCA menu that is built in to the DVR.
That gives me the option to choose what subchannel i want, the Mits menu does not. I have the Mits wd52525 with latest firmware 4.05.
Thanks

No luck with digital cable. I had decided to just use it as a backup for my moto box incase the cable goes out during the day so I don't miss my soap opera Days of our Lives
post #190 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgibo1 View Post

No luck with digital cable. I had decided to just use it as a backup for my moto box incase the cable goes out during the day so I don't miss my soap opera Days of our Lives

The 2160 will only record one subchannel...the problem is the Mitsubishi Tuner passes all subchannels as discussed in previous posts......call Mitsubishi and complain like the rest of us are doing!
post #191 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 AM

I am working on it. What number is everyone calling? I called this one
866-252-4333 (Mon - Fri 9am-10pm EST. Sat 9am-5pm. Sunday 1-5pm) this morning. I have a trouble ticket in. They wanted to try to help me over the phone (good luck) I am not at my tv right now. I am going to call again when I get home. I spoke to a Susan. I think it could help if we all called the same support number. Even better if we all talk to the same person then they will really know it is a big issue! Then again if that person is a prick it could hurt too. anyway.. I have called the 939 or whatever the long distance # in california is in the past, but not on this issue.
I also sent a detailed message to mdeaservice@mdea.com that is not their technical support email, but I asked susan if I could send an email somewhere to better explain my problem she said they didn't have one!! So I emailed the service email address and asked them to forward it.
I hope they can get this issue resolved as well as being able to configure timeshifting!!
post #192 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a difference between the way last years Mitsubishi TVs (xxx25 models) and this years (xxx27 and xxx28 models) handle AV Disc? I've seen what I perceive to be conflicting information on this. It seems clear that last years models send the entire transport stream (i.e. all sub-channels) to the AV Disc. I've seen at least one post that indicates this years models allow, or more likely require, you to select a particular sub-channel to record.

Can someone verify or contradict this?
post #193 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnderson View Post

Is there a difference between the way last years Mitsubishi TVs (xxx25 models) and this years (xxx27 and xxx28 models) handle AV Disc? I've seen what I perceive to be conflicting information on this. It seems clear that last years models send the entire transport stream (i.e. all sub-channels) to the AV Disc. I've seen at least one post that indicates this years models allow, or more likely require, you to select a particular sub-channel to record.

Can someone verify or contradict this?

I have a Mits 73927, and I can record to the 2160 just fine. I go into the recording menu of the TV, select my source channel, select my target AV Disc, date & time, and that is it.
post #194 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post

I have a Mits 73927, and I can record to the 2160 just fine. I go into the recording menu of the TV, select my source channel, select my target AV Disc, date & time, and that is it.

But are you recording from direct cable through your QAM "integrated tuner" on the Mits a channel with multiple subchannels? If you are recording OTA, try a PBS station, they usually have about 4 subchannels.
post #195 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post

For the record, this does not at all answer my question.
post #196 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnderson View Post

For the record, this does not at all answer my question.

Well, I can't answer as to the comparison of this year's model to last, as I don't have last years model. But if you say last years model does not work with the 2160, and I indicate this year's model does work, then you can make an inference that the models behave differently.

I am feeding no OTA into my Mits. I feed QAM cable into both "integrated tuners", and see no way to select a certain sub-channel. On cable-1 with CableCard, the channels are discretely separated in accordance with the Comcast channel line-up. On cable-2 with naked cable input, the channels are identical to cable-1, except I do not have the channels over 100. Instead, the TV has inserted the in-the-clear QAM channels into the existing analog lineup...so, I have PBS on 26, ABC on 27, and it inserts a 26.1 between them which is the digital PBS equivalent.
post #197 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 12:51 PM

Ok so I talked to mits first line support of course he really didn't know anything. He tried to get me to delete my netcommand setup and reconfigure it I refused.
He said that could be the problem, I said how it records fine from OTA, and went on to explain more. He told me to call RCA I told him they told me to call you. long story short he elevated it to ther senior support. They are supposed to call me.
I saw on here that a few of you were supposed to get higher level support call backs. Did they ever call you back, and what did they try to tell you? This way i can be prepared for some possible generic statements from them.
If you remember who did you talk too?
I'll post who I talked too when they call me then we will have some sort of contact.
Thanks
post #198 of 616 Old 01-10-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Scoombs
I have PBS on 26, ABC on 27, and it inserts a 26.1 between them which is the digital PBS equivalent.

What if you try to record channel 26? When you go to watch it does it only show you what was on channel 26, or does it record 26.1 and other PBS stations?
When i try to record one PBS channel it instead records all 5.
post #199 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 04:45 AM

Yesterday I used my 2160 to record an OTA HD Channel, I wanted to test to see if I could turn off the TV and it continue to record. Sure enough it did worked perfectly in that regard. I did this, because I wanted to record Boston Legal last night. I am an early bird, So I don't stay up late enough to see it.
I set up the timer ( I had tested this before with the TV on it worked just fine)
confirmed the recording, and also confirmed that the time on my tv was correct.
Got up today checked the recording and noticed several things, for one it recorded 4 or 5 channels, which is to be expected given my 52525 and the noted issues with it. That i can deal with for now. Here is the odd part, for one my recording said it was for 7 and 1/2 hours! When i played one of the files recorded in that time span the first minute was jay leno
Hence 2 of my first problems
1 Leno is on at 11:30 I set it for 9:58-11:02
2. Leno is on NBC I set it to record ABC No doubt in my mind i set it this way especially since on the recording itself it say channel 9-1 which is my ABC channel in Cincinnati ,
3 While watching the first minute of leno and scratching my head, suddenly there is david letterman He is on CBS! So a couple of minutes of dave go on and then i see that the simpsons are on and the simpsons are on from 11-12 on Channel 19! I didn't have time to see the rest of my recording nor verify if it really did record for 7 hours, or if something else is wrong
4. This is all one recording, not the seperate subchannel recordings, I didn't have time to check all those other sub channels recordings over.

I am wondering if the fact that my tv was off when the recording was going on if maybe that affected all of this somehow.
any other ideas
Thanks
post #200 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I am supposed to hear from someone sometime this week regarding the recording issue... nothing yet tho...
post #201 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD_Terp View Post

I am supposed to hear from someone sometime this week regarding the recording issue... nothing yet tho...

Hope you get a better response!

I called 12/30 and was told an upper level manager would call by Thursday.....Called last night 1/10 for the same manager that told me someone would call....guess what he nor any other manager was available. I was told someone would call me back by tonight and that the person was going to escalate the call as well to the home office. I did mention to the guy that if he looked at the history, I have been calling for over a year and obviously I was not going to give up!

I'm holding my breath!
post #202 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjr92 View Post

Yesterday I used my 2160 to record an OTA HD Channel, I wanted to test to see if I could turn off the TV and it continue to record. Sure enough it did worked perfectly in that regard. I did this, because I wanted to record Boston Legal last night. I am an early bird, So I don't stay up late enough to see it.
I set up the timer ( I had tested this before with the TV on it worked just fine)
confirmed the recording, and also confirmed that the time on my tv was correct.
Got up today checked the recording and noticed several things, for one it recorded 4 or 5 channels, which is to be expected given my 52525 and the noted issues with it. That i can deal with for now. Here is the odd part, for one my recording said it was for 7 and 1/2 hours! When i played one of the files recorded in that time span the first minute was jay leno
Hence 2 of my first problems
1 Leno is on at 11:30 I set it for 9:58-11:02
2. Leno is on NBC I set it to record ABC No doubt in my mind i set it this way especially since on the recording itself it say channel 9-1 which is my ABC channel in Cincinnati ,
3 While watching the first minute of leno and scratching my head, suddenly there is david letterman He is on CBS! So a couple of minutes of dave go on and then i see that the simpsons are on and the simpsons are on from 11-12 on Channel 19! I didn't have time to see the rest of my recording nor verify if it really did record for 7 hours, or if something else is wrong
4. This is all one recording, not the seperate subchannel recordings, I didn't have time to check all those other sub channels recordings over.

I am wondering if the fact that my tv was off when the recording was going on if maybe that affected all of this somehow.
any other ideas
Thanks

I use my 2160 to record with my TV off just fine. I work nights and sleep during the afternoon. I programed my 2160 to record all the play-off games this past weekend, TV was off and it worked fine with my old 65511.

Dish ViP-722
post #203 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canondave View Post

I us my 2160 to record with my TV off just fine. I work nights and sleep during the afternoon. I programed my 2160 to record all the play-off games this past weekend, TV was off and it worked fine with my old 65511.

Glad to hear that some people are having success with the 2160..... are you recording OTA or cable direct?

I am trying to find out what TVs can record via the integrated QAM tuner without having the subchannel issue.
post #204 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 04:46 PM

My RCA DVR2160 arrived today (Wed)!!!! I ordered from HDtoystore on Sunday, so 3 days delivery. My TV is a Mits 65869- the first model with Netcommand (no learning mode), and has an integrated tuner. I upgraded the Netcommand software last year. When I press MENU 0170 on the TV remote, it displays NetCommand Software: V19 001.4 I think this is the latest version for the V19 sets. (Canondave- Can you confirm?)

For initial tryout, I left out the SA3250HD (see my earlier post) My main setup currently has an SA8000HD w/o firewire), but I have an attic OTA ant and get good signals from Philadelphia. I powered up the DVR2160, waited a minute and then connected a firewire cable to it. The firewire lineup was Mits65869 HDTV----Mits 1100U DVCR----DVR2160. NetCommand recognized the DVR2120 and assigned it as AVDISC.

First Test- Record OTA to DVR2160 under NetCommand control- Result:OK (KYW3DT "Dr Phil")- Nice to see that the resulting "guide" of recordings listed "Dr Phil" in addition to the date/time, but you only see the "Dr Phil" tag when you select it to play.

Second Test- Transfer DVHS recording of "Medium" (the 3D glasses episode) to the DVR2120 under NetCommand control. Result:OK, Note- The NBC station that I recorded the show to DVHS from (WCAU-DT) mutiplexes a weather channel. The DVHS tape recorded both, AND both transfered to the DVR2160.

First Problem- When getting ready for the Second Test, I originally got a NetCommand error message when trying to set the input device to the DVCR, but after powercycling the HDTV (left the DVCR and DVR 2160 powered), both were rediscovered, and all was well.

Will do more testing soon. MitsuHelp- Yes when I had the 3250HD (SARA) firewire connected, NetCommand discovered it OK and named it "Tuner". But when I selected Tuner, the screen was black even though the 3250HD was set to a digital channel. Some old posts said this was called the video muting problem and was due to SA not handling the provisions for Emergency Broadcast System correctly. (I think it has to do with the fact that if they drop the BIG ONE, whille your watching Cable TV via firewire, the STB has to get you to switch over to the analog input so the FEDS can tell you to duck & cover, but I could be wrong

--hourglass
post #205 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 04:58 PM

--hourglass

With my 3250 I can view the direct FW output...wierd issue with the SARA & 1100U!

Have you tried recording with the cable direct into your Mits to the 2160 via the integrated tuner?
post #206 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear that some people are having success with the 2160..... are you recording OTA or cable direct?

I am trying to find out what TVs can record via the integrated QAM tuner without having the subchannel issue.

OTA only, My cable system (Bresnan) in "small-town" Colorado has -0- HiDef channels

Dish ViP-722
post #207 of 616 Old 01-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hourglass View Post

My RCA DVR2160 arrived today (Wed)!!!! I ordered from HDtoystore on Sunday, so 3 days delivery. My TV is a Mits 65869- the first model with Netcommand (no learning mode), and has an integrated tuner. I upgraded the Netcommand software last year. When I press MENU 0170 on the TV remote, it displays NetCommand Software: V19 001.4 I think this is the latest version for the V19 sets. (Canondave- Can you confirm?)

--hourglass

I still haven't received the update program-card from Mits. I will post it when I get it and update my 65511. I think she did say it would be 1.4

What did it update on your set from the original netcommand that came on your set?

Dish ViP-722
post #208 of 616 Old 01-12-2006, 02:10 PM

Not sure what the heck was going on with my 2160 the other day when it recorded several other channels for 7 hours even though at set it for one, but it seems to be fine for recording OTA channels now. I set it ot tape lost with no problems!

Mits called me back yesterday a second level guy i guess named Brian, he left a message and said they would let me know when a software update is available to correct this. We'll see. I was told that last year when I had problems with Cable Cards and they did fix it within a month or two.
Of course the Cable Card issue is bigger than the DVR issue.
I am not as optimistic about that
post #209 of 616 Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canondave View Post

... I think she did say it would be 1.4

What did it update on your set from the original netcommand that came on your set?

I went from NetCommand V19 1.02 to V19 1.04 (I'm not sure if there ever was a 1.03 from Mits) The only thing the upgrade did that I saw was add a few more devices that NetCommand could run via the IR blasters. The list was/is still very limited for the V19 version of NetCommand. I envy folks with newer Mits sets which can LEARN just about any devices' remote. 9But I do love my 65869's PQ!)

--hourglass
post #210 of 616 Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:

--hourglass

With my 3250 I can view the direct FW output...wierd issue with the SARA & 1100U!

Have you tried recording with the cable direct into your Mits to the 2160 via the integrated tuner?

Its on my list for the weekend, but last month I connected the raw Comcast feed into the DTV ANT jack and did a scan. I found that in my area, Comcast had digital "twins" of all the non-premium analog channels, but they were arranged mostly as subchannels, so given the Mits lack of demux for recording, I 'm not hopeful.

BTW, I'm thinking Comcast does it that way just to keep us renting STB's/cards. I thought it strange that they would use bandwith to pipe the same channels as both analog and digital. Perhaps they're getting ready to kill the analog channels and force everyone with (analog) cable-ready sets (like the four I have upstairs) to rent extra STB's. That would cause a quite a stir, but they'll probably SAY its necessary in order to add some more HD channels.

I'll update my DVR2160 findings Saturday. So far I've recorded and playback OTA just fine. Love that CH UP/DN feature to skip 30 secs! Did somebody say the FF/REW has multiple speeds? It seems to, but do you hold the button down longer or press it more than once? The 30 sec skip and smoother FF/REW make playback from the DVR2160 better than from my DVCR.

--hourglass

Update- The FF/REW speeds are 3x, 15x and 60x by tapping the button (see Mits3.jpg in Post #19 (VideoBruce) of this thread. --hourglass
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page