MythTV and SA3250HD via 1394 Q's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy, I'm ready to upgrade to Brighthouse's HD pack and the cable box I will likely get is the Scientific Atlanta 3250HD. From what I hear, I can get this with an active FireWire port, and I see that MythTV supports this as a capture option.

I've never set up an HTPC before, but I've done some reading and I think I understand the basics.

I have two questions:

Will the firewire port allow me to capture both High Definition and Standard Definition content? If I build a MythTV machine, I would like to use it to replace my aging TiVo, and being able to record both HDTV and SDTV would be a great bonus.

I have two output devices, a Standard Def 32" TV and the Sanyo Z1 575p projector. What I'm not sure of now is how best to go about setting up MythTV to best feed both devices signals that they can understand. I'm trying to figure the logistics of this, but nothing comes to mind. I presume I would use a DVI to Component dongle to get HD signal to the Z1, but I'm not sure how to go about feeding the 32" TV at the same time. If the card has SVideo out as well, should I expect that the SVideo out will automatically downconvert whatever is currently being displayed by the card, thus rendering content (even HD content) viewable on my regular TV?

Sorry if these sound basic, but I've been having trouble finding any information on what to do in a mixed HD/SD environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmrgun
Will the firewire port allow me to capture both High Definition and Standard Definition content? If I build a MythTV machine, I would like to use it to replace my aging TiVo, and being able to record both HDTV and SDTV would be a great bonus.

I have two output devices, a Standard Def 32" TV and the Sanyo Z1 575p projector. What I'm not sure of now is how best to go about setting up MythTV to best feed both devices signals that they can understand. I'm trying to figure the logistics of this, but nothing comes to mind. I presume I would use a DVI to Component dongle to get HD signal to the Z1, but I'm not sure how to go about feeding the 32" TV at the same time. If the card has SVideo out as well, should I expect that the SVideo out will automatically downconvert whatever is currently being displayed by the card, thus rendering content (even HD content) viewable on my regular TV?
Don't have cable or firewire, but it should capture anything that comes over it. HD/SD doesn't matter, it captures a stream of data. Same goes for the ATSC tuner cards (which I do have).
The other part of your question I really don't understand. As for the TV, just hook it up using the Svideo out of the graphics card. Works perfectly on my old analog TV. As for the projector, I think it would perform best just plugged into the standard VGA port. I haven't tried hooking 2 displays to the same box so I don't know what you'll see. Someone else will have to help you with that.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2006, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds good, thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 AM

Highdef content output from S-Video from my 8300HD box is converted to letter box (black bars above/below the picture). Also it does not matter what format is set on the TV, you will still get letterbox for most HD, except PBS where I live. Some digital SD might do it too.

I have not tried firewire yet, but don't expect it to work on the 8300HD from what I read here.

Jim
Closed Thread Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page