Mits HD2000U & Playback Thru PC via 1394? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2006, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
OK. I've managed to record some digital content on the 2000U using firewire from my 8200HD STB. Drivers were also added to my XP box when I first connected the 2000U. I am also able to control the 2000U tape transport via VLC Media Player using this device; Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device.

The problem is I can't get any video to display. Is there something simple I'm overlooking in configuring VLC properly? Can VLC be used for playback from the 2000U via Firewire? What device driver should I be using for the 2000U? Is there another software player that can be used?

Any thoughts?

redjr...

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you playing back copy-protected recording? In that case, you can't.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2006, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you can record from the STB to the PC, you can move content to the PC from the DVHS to the PC with the right software.

If you cannot record from the STB to the PC, the content is 5c protected and you will not get it from the DVHS to the PC either.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2006, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can you get 5C protected (copy once) material from the STB to DVHS? I've given up on getting it on my Mac, but I'd like to back it up for later viewing somehow.

Although since HD-DVD is significantly better than HD movies on my FiOS (and they crop it to 16:9, too!), rather than spend $500 on a DVHS deck and $8.50/tape on DVHS tape, I'm probably better off buying the HD-DVDs instead! A little more expensive, but a lot less headache and a lot better quality! When HD-DVD decks came down to $200 it would be a MUCH easier decision.

David
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2006, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn
Can you get 5C protected (copy once) material from the STB to DVHS? I've given up on getting it on my Mac, but I'd like to back it up for later viewing somehow.

Although since HD-DVD is significantly better than HD movies on my FiOS (and they crop it to 16:9, too!), rather than spend $500 on a DVHS deck and $8.50/tape on DVHS tape, I'm probably better off buying the HD-DVDs instead! A little more expensive, but a lot less headache and a lot better quality! When HD-DVD decks came down to $200 it would be a MUCH easier decision.

David
According to the 2000U manual, it is capable of copying non-copyprotected, and copy-once material via the 1394. And I was able to achieve this through the proper cable channel/content of my 8300HD STB. Given that, I assumed I would be able - at a minimum - to get the non-copyprotected content to transfer(via 1394) to my XP PC. I was able to get VLC to control the 2000U deck, but never able to view any content. Perhaps I had some other configuration parameter that was not set correctly. But, after a very late night I finally gave up. :confused:

Unfortunately, since the 2000U does not have an internal MPEG2 CODEC and output directly to HD via component video, the recorder is of little value to me with my present system setup. And, I don't need another S-VHS Hi-Fi recorder, so it's going back today. It was my own fault for not realizing and understanding the limitations of this D-VHS deck. :o I think my money could be better spent on a HD-DVD player.

redjr... :)

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Closed Thread Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page