Copy from Computer to DVR via !EEE1394? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to copy a DVD from my laptop computer to either LiteOn LVC9015G or Panasonic DMR-EH75VS DVR's, using the IEEE1394 (DVCam) Firewire port?

Recently, the Panasonic had its DVD-RAM drive replaced under warranty after 5 months use. In the interim I recorded several DVD+RW disks off air using the LiteOn. After the Panasonic was repaired, I transferred these recording via analog input to the Panasonic, then edited them and burned DVD-R disks. One of the disks recorded on the LiteOn contained two programs and after transferring the second program, I erased it on the LiteOn. Normally this just leaves more available space on the disk for a new recording, but this disk was trashed and no longer showed the menu page.

I investigated it with my computer, and was able to recover all the video files for this program to the computer HDD, except for VIDEO_TS.VOB (the menu screen file) and also the VIDEO_TS.BUP file, both of which were corrupted. I had another disk which had a single program of similar length on it, and was able to assemble and burn a DVD-R that included the VIDEO_TS.VOB file from the other disk and the files from the trashed disk, and the DVD could be played, complete with sound, on the Sonic Player on the computer. It could also be played on Roxio 6 player on my laptop computer. But the disk would not play at all on the LiteOn unit. It would play on the Panasonic but without sound. It will also play on a different Panasonic DVD player, again minus the sound. On further investigation I found that the problem was AC3 2+1 sound which Easy Media Creator 7. 5 could not convert to the proper format.

What I want to do is copy the working DVD to the Panasonic or the LiteOn to transfer back to a DVD that either of these can play, complete with the sound. Neither computer has an analog A/V output, but both have a Firewire port. Is it possible to transfer the video from the computer (e.g. the laptop) via the IEEE1394 port to the DV Cam input on either DVR and burn a new DVD from it, without losing the sound? Is there some software I need to make the DVR think it's getting the video from a DV Cam instead of the computer's DVD playback? And can the DVD playback be recorded by the DVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is it possible to transfer the video from the computer (e.g. the laptop) via the IEEE1394 port to the DV Cam input on either DVR and burn a new DVD from it, without losing the sound?
I doubt it. It has nothing to do with losing the sound. It is just another one of those things that the MPAA doesn't want you to be able to do. I know it doesn't work on my Panasonic E100. I suspect most other DVD recorders are the same way. My E100 will accept firewire data from my camcorders but not from my computer on it's firewire port.

Dave
post #3 of 6 Old 12-05-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

If the DVD plays on your PC then all you need is a decent DVD authoring application (TMPGEnc DVD Author for example) to author another DVD from its contents, which should play fine in any player/recorder.

Or convert the contents of the DVD in question to DV-AVI (again you will need some video encoding application, again I recommend TMPGEnc, it's what I use for anything like this). Then write the DV-AVI to a camcorder via FireWire, using any application that is capable of such a transfer, like Windows Movie Maker. Then play back the recorded DV-AVI from the camcorder to your DVD Recorder via FireWire.

But really, you should have no problem creating a DVD from anything that can be played on your PC, including another DVD.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-05-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The Firewire input on a DVD recorder only accepts DV video (such as from a DV camcorder). So it won't accept video played straight from a DVD without it first being converted to DV format. Whether a particular brand of recorders can recognize DV from a computer rather than camcorder is another issue. The Firewire-equipped Pioneer recorders could do this but I don't know about others.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart
If the DVD plays on your PC then all you need is a decent DVD authoring application (TMPGEnc DVD Author for example) to author another DVD from its contents, which should play fine in any player/recorder.

Or convert the contents of the DVD in question to DV-AVI (again you will need some video encoding application, again I recommend TMPGEnc, it's what I use for anything like this). Then write the DV-AVI to a camcorder via FireWire, using any application that is capable of such a transfer, like Windows Movie Maker. Then play back the recorded DV-AVI from the camcorder to your DVD Recorder via FireWire.

But really, you should have no problem creating a DVD from anything that can be played on your PC, including another DVD.
This is excellent advice. If you decide to go the DV-AVI to a camcorder via FireWire route, I would just add that if you would like to use something smaller and simpler than Windows Movie Maker, you can try one of these good little free programs:

DVIO

WinDV
post #6 of 6 Old 12-13-2006, 07:50 PM

you can convert video from and burn to a new DVD that can be played on your PC.
So many correlation DVD software, I thought Winx DVD Author is a good choice.
this software is the only one I found that will recognise the DVD RAM coding and convert it and burn to DVD-R or DVD-/+RW.
It is worthy for you to go and try.
Closed Thread Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page