MythTV - IEEE1394a - CableBox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know of the handy mac application that allows me to record programs via IEEE 1394a. I am wondering if this compatibility is build into MythTV. I did find a few resources on Google but I was unable to a definitive answer.

More specifically, can I use multiple boxes as my tuners and record/stream off each box?

If this is possible am I able to access ANY channel or just basic digital cable or HD or my entire programming package...ect...?

I am not a completely new linux (well new to linux but not *BSD in server environments)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, you can do this with Mythtv. There's instructions on the Myth Wiki I believe. You'll only be able to get channles that don't have 5C protection.
-Trouble
post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I could in theory hook up 63 cable boxes to my back end?

How do I find out what channels are 5C protected?
I take it, that it i ill be all of the "pay" HD channels HBO/ESPN/TNT/ect.

Edit-
Ok I have an even better question:

I have my backend serving my DVDs, MP3s, recorded TV shows, ect. I have my from end to decode the backend.

Can I have cable box hooked up via component or whatever to the TV for TV watching but then also hooked up to my front end via IEEE 1394a and record when scheduled and whatnot?

I think that I might just want a DVD server. I would like to be able to record. Any component capture cards on the market that could also serve this purpose? I know that there are no cable card at this moment.

Thanks

Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

So I could in theory hook up 63 cable boxes to my back end?

How do I find out what channels are 5C protected?
I take it, that it i ill be all of the "pay" HD channels HBO/ESPN/TNT/ect.

Edit-
Ok I have an even better question:

I have my backend serving my DVDs, MP3s, recorded TV shows, ect. I have my from end to decode the backend.

Can I have cable box hooked up via component or whatever to the TV for TV watching but then also hooked up to my front end via IEEE 1394a and record when scheduled and whatnot?

I think that I might just want a DVD server. I would like to be able to record. Any component capture cards on the market that could also serve this purpose? I know that there are no cable card at this moment.

Thanks

Thanks

Yes you can hook up multiple cable boxes. I can check the 5c encryption on DCT 6200 (motorola) by looking at the service menu when tuned to a channel.If you have a motorola cable DVR search for the wiki - it gives all the information about how to find the 5C encryption. What is 5c encrypted varies GREATLY from provider to provider and region to region within providers. Where I am I can watch/stream/record almost every channel (including all premium channels and all HD channels). You can record from a box you use to watch tv ( I do this) but don't do both at the same time (at least, don't change the channel while it is recording). Mythtv will change the channel for you on supported boxes. You need to have the cable box firewire hooked up to your backend, as you have to add it as "tuner" that your backend controls. Just make the frontend you have near it a slave backend - that's what I did. This basically turns my cable box into a DVR that I can stream to any of my frontends, live or recorded.

What box are you planning on using this with? Also - the firewire output on the box must be enabled.

There are component capture cards out there, but they are quite pricey and i don't think any of them have linux drivers yet, and the hard drive space required to do so would be enourmous, even by today's standards.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 AM

I'm a longtime Linux user and MythTV user. I just picked up a HDTV and will attempt to extract the content off via the firewire card. I'm also considering picking up an AirStar-HD5000AV capture card as well. It would be nice having a second tuner to record off of. I watched Heroes in HD for the first time last night and it was pretty awesome. I'll let you guys know how I make out with the firewire capture.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I need some clarification.

Say I have the following setup. Master backend and 2 frontends connected via 10/100/1000 ethernet. I have my cable box hooked up via 1492a to my frontends and my frontends hooked up via component to my TV(through a reviever). I also have my cablebox box hooked up via component to my tv (for the rare on-demand).

When I record can I set it up so that MythTV will record to the backend and not the front end?

Can the frontend stream digital audio from the firewire input out a digital input and to a receiver (seems obvious - yes - but you never know in these days of HDCP, content flagging, DMR, ect)?

I guess I can always get 2* the boxes

Unrelated question
Can I have multible backends? IE one serving as the "main" backend and the other one serving just files? I have a rather large BSD server that I can install MythTV on but I do not want it serving MySQL.

The MythTVTalk is down so I am asking these question here.

Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Say I have the following setup. Master backend and 2 frontends connected via 10/100/1000 ethernet. I have my cable box hooked up via 1492a to my frontends and my frontends hooked up via component to my TV(through a reviever). I also have my cablebox box hooked up via component to my tv (for the rare on-demand).

When I record can I set it up so that MythTV will record to the backend and not the front end?

Yes, just use samba or NFS to share the storage on your backend and have the frontends use that to record to. I prefer samba as it allows me to share between xbox, windows pcs, etc.

Quote:

Can the frontend stream digital audio from the firewire input out a digital input and to a receiver (seems obvious - yes - but you never know in these days of HDCP, content flagging, DMR, ect)?

yes, but it takes some trial and error to set up. Best bet is to use Jarod's fedora core guide.

Quote:

Unrelated question
Can I have multible backends? IE one serving as the "main" backend and the other one serving just files? I have a rather large BSD server that I can install MythTV on but I do not want it serving MySQL.

You want to keep the mysql server on the same machine as the main mythtv server. Lots of problems have been caused when it's not local due to the latency and also saturation of the network. I have seen a lot of help messages that were solved on the mailing list due to the mysql not being on the main server.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

I need some clarification.
Thanks in advance.

You can have as many backends as you want, but only one master backend per system. And you only need one mysql server, and it's the one on the master backend. I've got 4 HDTv cards in my master backend/frontend, and 1 card in a slave backend/frontend. I'd say it's best to record to the same box the tuner is in. That's what I do anyway. Otherwise, the recording would have to stream across the net to the master backend storage. The 5th tuner I have rarely gets used and is in my wifes box. I've set the shows that only she watches to record off that tuner and on to her drive.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 AM

I have a mitsu 65" tv with a TV card from the cable company in the back of the TV. The TV has firewire out. Is it possible to use MythTV to record HD channels from that. I know it is a driver issue to make the TV see the computer as a D-VHS. i know i can not see 5c channels but if i wanted to store a football game in HD when i am away can i do it with mythtv

Mitsu 65731 DLP 1080p
Harman AV-435
Harman DV-22 DVD
Koolance Water Cooled Computer
Xbox 360 HD-DVD
PS2
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page