1394/SATA 8300HD Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any info with this 8300HD and it's external connectors? I hear always the 1394 connection is disabled, and the MSO does this. Why? Please at least tell me the SATA connection is active so I can throw an exra drive on it. I hope. Sheesh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 194
The eSATA connection is active for most, if not all 8300HDs. As for the 1394 there was a firmware update released last year that was supposted to enable the 1394 ports. Some cable companies (including Comcast here in Ft. Myers, FL) are supplying 8300 HDs with older firmware that does not enable 1394. When I lived in Virginia last year I got Cox to update the firmware in my 8300HD to the version to enabled the 1394, but I found that it still could not successfully do the handshake with my JVC D-VHS VCR. By the way the SA3250 (non-DVR) does support 1394 that can be used with the JVC D-VHS VCRs.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 5 Old 06-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Ron,
Just to the north of you in port Charlotte FL, I have a Comcast SA8300HD but have not been able to get output out of the firewire ports to my DVD recorder.
The firmware is SARA 1.89.18.1 with a firebus version of 1.9.12.1 The 1394 firewire ports are listed in the diagnostic screen as disabled/disabled. I have tried to get Comcast to enable them but they don't have a clue...
Do you have any advice as to how to get the firewire working. Convince them to give me a new box perhaps or is there a way to turn them on ?
Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2007, 06:21 PM

I have the SA 8300HDC from Time Warner Cable, and just starting messing around with the firewire port today. It seems as if it only outputs pre-recorded content. Live TV, wether it be basic or premium channel, my MacBook wasn't recognizing a stream.

BTW I'm using AVCVideoCap, which is part of the Apple FireWire SDK, for capturing.

Now if I could only figure out how to encode the resulting .m2t files to something suitable for making SD DVDs. I've tried .avi, .mov, .dv, divx and XviD, and the audio has either been missing or gradually goes out of sync.

"How am I not myself?"
post #5 of 5 Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 AM

lets see i couldnt get the latest sci atlantic dvr box to output the signal via its firewire out to my jvc dvhs 40000 no matter what (cable changes,different cablebox)and of course i thought it was the jvc? then i got rid of the dvr box and got the new 4250 hd box from sci-atlantic(my area long island new york is cablevision)and it worked flawlessly,making some beautiful hd copies to archive,all though sometimes theres still some digital glitches when i play back the recordings,ive accepted thats part of this whole firewire digital situation! anyway for the most part it works quite well,i think most of the new boxes are firewire enabled.But lets be honest the cable companies could care less about firewire connections......good luck.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page