TrueHD or DTS-HD MA over 1394? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Can someone from the 1394 Trade Association comment on whether and when we might expect to see full quality TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio from HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players over 1394?

Ideally this would be as high bandwidth, multi-channel PCM so that the player is doing the decoding (for in-player audio mixing). But expectations on transmitting the UNdecoded TrueHD or DTS-HD MA "bitstream" to an appropriate receiver (a la HDMI V1.3) would also be interesting.

I presume the only limitation here is licensing, but perhaps not.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Umm, hello? I thought this question would be a softball to get things going....
(grin!)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3 of 17 Old 03-29-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to know as well.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #4 of 17 Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I-Link is AACS approved and has more than enough bandwidth so there is no technical limitation. Currently I-Link Receivers/Prepros can all accept 6 channel 96/24 or 2 channel 24/192 PCM (Even the Sony Receivers can) and the same formats in MLP (Maybe not Sony though). All the required support is there in current recievers, the question is if a manufacturer will bother making one.

Incidentally I-Link can support 8 channel of 32/192 audio in some implementation, I wonder if some receivers already released support 6 or 8 channel 24/192 and are just waiting for an appropriate source. I'm currently testing a I-Link Windows audio player, maybe I will get to find out.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-15-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would very much like to know this as well. I have a Pioneer VSX-55TXi with i link and multichannel pcm capability. With hddvd and bluray this would prevent me from buying a new receiver as the one I have now is more than capable of decoding the new formats DD+ True HD and DTS-HD from the LPCM that the players send through their HDMI ports.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
i wonder just how many people would go out and purchase a new hd-dvd or blu-ray player
if it had 1394 that are still setting on the fence due to this hdmi thing and not wanting to
replace their 4000.00 or higher priced rec or pre-pro.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I would!

If Pioneer (or other) company offered an Elite BD player with full DVD-A & SACD support over ILink so I could replace my existing DVD & BD players with ONE player, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If a new flagship receiver was also introduced that had both Ilink & HDMI 1.3 so that one would not lose something in the process of updating, I'd buy it at the same time. Otherwise, they can keep their crippled product lines. That's about $5000 lost sales revenue from only 1 buyer.

IMO, Pioneer and others are missing the target from a marketing perspective. They do not have a coordinated product line where a buyer can mate a player and a receiver and get all audio capabilities. All they have to do is include Ilink on the receiver or HDMI 1.3 on a player line. To have one without the other is marketing stupidity.

ss9001

Steve
post #8 of 17 Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I would!

If Pioneer (or other) company offered an Elite BD player with full DVD-A & SACD support over ILink so I could replace my existing DVD & BD players with ONE player, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If a new flagship receiver was also introduced that had both Ilink & HDMI 1.3 so that one would not lose something in the process of updating, I'd buy it at the same time. Otherwise, they can keep their crippled product lines. That's about $5000 lost sales revenue from only 1 buyer.

IMO, Pioneer and others are missing the target from a marketing perspective. They do not have a coordinated product line where a buyer can mate a player and a receiver and get all audio capabilities. All they have to do is include Ilink on the receiver or HDMI 1.3 on a player line. To have one without the other is marketing stupidity.

ss9001

well said i hope they have someone reading these threads just give us
what we want we will buy it after all most of us are lifers in this hobby.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yep wanting to know the same thing as my RX-Z9 these inputs.

RX-Z9 to KHORNS/SVS & FULL HERITAGE 8.3 HT Setup

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it
post #10 of 17 Old 08-17-2007, 06:29 PM

I have a high-end universal transport. It will output multichannel audio off an SACD only from its iLink connection. Otherwise I can listen to high quality analog from an SACD but only the left and right channels. However the preamp I use (also high end) does not have an iLink input and there are, as far as I know, no plans to add one.

Is there a device that can take the iLink output from the transport and convert it to HDMI or some other format that will deliver the multichannel audio to the preamp either via digital or analog connections?
post #11 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

well said i hope they have someone reading these threads just give us
what we want we will buy it after all most of us are lifers in this hobby.

I think the problem is that firewire has no built-in copyright protection like HDMI/DVI's HDCP protocol. I think you'll find that is the reason there are no hi-def players currently touting i.link. Heck, Pioneer even left off the i-link connection from the new line of Elite receivers. It seems the industry is pretty happy to include HDMI because it pretty much does everything i.link does plus video! I think they've decided they can leave off i.link and just use HDMI and save some money, not that they couldn't do that by removing a few of the freaking composite and s-video connections on the back of current receivers.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder18 View Post

I think the problem is that firewire has no built-in copyright protection like HDMI/DVI's HDCP protocol. I think you'll find that is the reason there are no hi-def players currently touting i.link. Heck, Pioneer even left off the i-link connection from the new line of Elite receivers. It seems the industry is pretty happy to include HDMI because it pretty much does everything i.link does plus video! I think they've decided they can leave off i.link and just use HDMI and save some money, not that they couldn't do that by removing a few of the freaking composite and s-video connections on the back of current receivers.

Not true, Ilink has 3C encryption. 3C Encryption is AACS approved too so is considered secure enough for HDDVD and Bluray.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Not true, Ilink has 3C encryption. 3C Encryption is AACS approved too so is considered secure enough for HDDVD and Bluray.

Thanks for the catch on that Krobar.

Is firewire in any way related to the mini-dv interface used by many camcorders and dvd-recorders? If so, then it would beg the question, why hasn't it been utilized more. I know my Panasonic dvd-recorder has a dv input.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would love to see this happen! I would just love to connect my devices separately and directly without the need for a switcher.

I hope someone does it soon.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

nothing promising from what the sites have shown at cedia.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Was the 1394 ass at CEDIA????

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #17 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The sister amp to the BDP-LX90 was shown at CEDIA and is announced and does have ILink. No show on the BDP-LX90 yet but since pictures of both products were from the same batch it is very likely the BDP-LX90 is real and will be released. I suspect they are waiting for Profile 2.0, a $4000 BD player is a tough sell if it cannot access all the content on the disc.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page