Splitter For 1394 (FireWire) Connection for Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Canopus ADVC-500 that is encoding live video from multiple cameras (run through a live video mixer) and feeding that signal via it's two FireWire ports out to two different computers. One of these computers is generating a live stream (Quicktime), and the other is recording the DV stream for archival purposes.

I'd now like to add on a few different versions of the live stream (lower-bandwidth ones) so I need to split the FireWire connection from the ADVC into 3-4 more copies to feed those copies to additional computers. I don't think I want a hub (which would let me connect more firewire peripherals to one computer), I want to split the feed coming from a peripheral into multiple identical feeds.

I know I've seen such devices for sale, but for the life of me I can't find anything now. Anyone have any hints?

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 AM

" ... I don't think I want a hub (which would let me connect more firewire peripherals to one computer), I want to split the feed coming from a peripheral into multiple identical feeds. ..."

Actually, a hub is exactly what you want. FireWire is totally "peer to peer" meaning that the first host to become active on a FireWire network becomes the lead host (lowest addressed host) and other computers (hosts) that become active "log on" to the FW network, but do not have access (directly) to the peripherals on the FW net.

This is not as complicated as it sounds ... just plug it all together and try it ...
http://www.firewirestuff.com/repeaters.html

"Truth is one, paths are many ... " - The Dalai Lama

" FireWire speeds set to quadruple "
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddy23 View Post

Actually, a hub is exactly what you want.

I did end up trying it actually, and not in this case... Video is different than most firewire peripherals, apparently, owing to the fact that it uses bi-directional communication. Using a regular "dumb" firewire hub, only one computer could see the video device at a time. Whichever computer "opened" the Canopus device first would see it, and others would be locked out.

I did find this device (Laird LTM-DVDA5P) which appears to fit the bill, but I haven't scrounged up the money for it yet.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."
post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Hi all,

A hub sounds like a good idea. But if I were to be limited by my budget, and I am only allowed fabricating multiple splicing point from the main host's firewire, will that work?

I have experimented this:
I have a single length (2m) 1394b cable, with both end terminated with 9 pin connector. I cut this length of 1394b cable into two, and tried to re-connect them via pin-socket connection to simulate splicing point, or a male connector-female connector connection.

Result was that my laptop could not detect my storage media drive. =(

I don't know what is wrong with my method. I have tried with various configuration:

> 1394b with 1394b (as stated above)
> 1394b with 2 core twisted
> 1394b with CAT5 cable

Result is still a disappointing no detection from the laptop. It seems like there can't be any break point in between a single length 1394b cable transmission.

Can somebody help me with this??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. =)
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2009, 03:56 PM

I'm a newbie, but this thread sounded like the closest to what I'm trying to do. I have two cameras (firewire out) that I need to send to a device (a mixer or splitter) that will send two ouputs. 1 for live video, 1 for recorded video, so it's going to 2 different PCs essentially. The setup would look like this

Camera 1 -->mixer/splitter -->PC1
Camera 2 -->mixer/splitter -->PC2

First of all, before anyone asks the obvious. I want to select which of the cameras is being recorded/broadcast, not record both at the same time. So that's why the 'mixer' needs to be able to select the which input source in real time. So my question is, where can I get a 'mixer/splitter' like what I have described here?

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM

" ... I want to select which of the cameras is being recorded/broadcast, not record both at the same time. So that's why the 'mixer' needs to be able to select the which input source in real time. ... "

You need professional help ... professional edit/mixdown/switching equipment.

This could all be done with regular home grown equipment and a fancy plug panel, or you could just use the "plug and play" feature if FireWire, plugging in what you want, then unplugging and plugging in what you want later ...

Cameras are treated as disk drives by the Mac OS-X (and Linux ... and on some PCs for certain cameras), so you could also just plug everything together through a 6-port FW hub and run it all from the desktop(s), powering up and down what is needed and what is not, rebooting as needed.

The cheapest solution: don't treat your computers as "swiss army knives" ... just connect what you need for the particular job at hand ... then rearrange as needed for the next job = Time consuming, but that's why pro video editors make the big bucks.

"Truth is one, paths are many ... " - The Dalai Lama

" FireWire speeds set to quadruple "
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddy23 View Post

You need professional help ... professional edit/mixdown/switching equipment.

This could all be done with regular home grown equipment and a fancy plug panel, or you could just use the "plug and play" feature if FireWire, plugging in what you want, then unplugging and plugging in what you want later ...

The cheapest solution: just connect what you need for the particular job at hand ... then rearrange as needed for the next job = Time consuming, but that's why pro video editors make the big bucks.

So basically... it can't be done unless I want to hire it out to a pro... or rig it up so it will KINDA work how I want, but probably not - just headaches trying to get it all going.

Thanks for the input and advice Fast Eddy, I appreciate it.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page