Is an i link 1394 to hdmi cable possible for a multichannel PCM signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just curiuos if this type of cable would be possible to make? The idea is this, I have an i link receiver which works great for dvd audio, sacd, cd etc. I realize up to this point all hddvd and bluray players have been outputting lpcm from the HDMI port which is from the decoded DD+ or True HD signal in the player. So any i link receiver should be as capable as any HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 receiver for getting the full resolution from these formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Would not be a cable but a convertor. Is possible but fairly complex, could also be AACS compliant so all that is needed is for someone to make one.

Me, I think I will wait for the Pioneer BDP-LX90.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Krobar define, I was thinking of the cable with a 1394 pin on one end and a 19 pin hdmi on the other. Realizing it would only carry the audio output from the hdmi end much like a hdmi to dvi cable only carries the video portion. So are you saying the hdmi cable would need to plug into a converter box so to speak and then the firewire cable carries the audio portion from there?
post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Definitely would need a convertor. ILink uses different transport protocols, different encryption and different control protocol. I think you need to do a little reading up on HDMI and ILink (A&M Protocol).
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback Krobar, your expertise is admittedly greater than mine. Okay so my question is is it possible to carry the decoded DD+, True HD, DTS-HD signal that is lpcm of course from the hi def player to a receiver. The funny thing is Dolby even lists 1394 firewire as an option along with HDMI 1.1 and 1.2 for carrying the decoded lpcm, but full resolution DD+ and True HD signals from players to receivers having the added benefit of DSP and bass management of course.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes ILink can transfer multichannel PCM. AFAIK DVD-Audio is simply encrypted PCM using ILink and can offer stereo 24/192 or 5.1 24/96. Most ILink receivers can handle 5.1 24/192 in hardware but i'm not sure if the firmware can. Unfortunately I do not know of an ILink recevier wired for 7.1, this is not a lmitation of ILink only a limitation of current implementations.

There is no disadvantage in most cases in using full res PCM over native stream. For example my RDC-7.1 can handle 24/96 5.1 PCM with full resolution, DSP modes and BM over ILink.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2007, 11:45 PM

Liked: 10
Is it possible to use a HTPC for audio processor and output the audio via firewire?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre View Post

Is it possible to use a HTPC for audio processor and output the audio via firewire?

Yes, using a cheap $20 firewire card too. Trouble is no one has written the software to do this and there would likely be some big Encryption / Licensing issues to make any such software legal.
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page