Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting.

"The association also said that FireWire would soon be able to operate over cable television coaxial cables, and said S3200 would make the standard fast enough to move uncompressed high-definition television signals over long distances at a lower cost than HDMI, the current standard for HD connections.

FireWire is, according to the association, "the only separable interface today that can record HD programs in their full digital quality while also meeting the content protection requirements of copyright holders."
post #3 of 8 Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by renesis27 View Post

The association also said that FireWire would soon be able to operate over cable television coaxial cables,

I remember them once saying that about Ethernet as well but for a good while they only had a crippled spec of it which was limited to 100 Mbps and that almost no products supported. Firewire is an interesting logical interface but they have this death hold on the physical interface which in my opinion has hurt it in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renesis27 View Post

and said S3200 would make the standard fast enough to move uncompressed high-definition television signals over long distances at a lower cost than HDMI,

Besides that claim being rather hard to believe I personally don't really see any way that Firewire could compete with HDMI.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2008, 12:42 AM

nice :]
post #5 of 8 Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Besides that claim being rather hard to believe I personally don't really see any way that Firewire could compete with HDMI.

Not to mention the fact that some entities dont want an easy, standard interlink between pc and CE devices out of paranoia.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

I remember them once saying that about Ethernet as well but for a good while they only had a crippled spec of it which was limited to 100 Mbps and that almost no products supported. Firewire is an interesting logical interface but they have this death hold on the physical interface which in my opinion has hurt it in the long term.

Damn. I wish that Ethernet (well, maybe Gigabit) became the industry standard, most businesses have CAT 5E or CAT6 everywhere in there buildings, and a lot of new homes do now too. It'd make distribution a lot easier.
I know our church uses Gigabit Ethernet to distribute the channels of the front of house desk to a foldback desk off stage.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

Firewire devices can be daisychained, that would make cabling of complex system easier than with HDMI and would get away from the need to loads of ports on the amp / VP or external switchers.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-24-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Firewire devices can be daisychained, that would make cabling of complex system easier than with HDMI and would get away from the need to loads of ports on the amp / VP or external switchers.

I think HDMI can kinda daisy-chain. Er, I dunno. Like, HDMI from my proc/amp to my TV and then HDMI from the 360 to the TV. And I get surround sound audio passed from the 360 to the amp. I mean, that's basically daisychaining isn't? It's probably more limited, ie. the TV has to support sound pass through or something. But still...
Reply Firewire 1394 Trade Association Q&A

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page