Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p View Post

I'm using a BH200 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR500 via SPDIF and using the DTS Re-encode setting. I have a copy of Jurassic Park on DVD with DTS. I am unable to play the DTS soundtrack. On inserting the disc I see the menu presenting the choice between DTS and Dolby Digital, but selecting either one gives a DD Suround track.

This is with the March Firmware and loader 0702. I didn't try this disc before updating the player.

OK ... so, just a thought here; could the problem be that you have the BH200 set to DTS Re-encode and the audio coming from the disk is already DTS? I don't know, but it seems to me that it might prove problematic if the machine is trying to re-encode something that is already encoded as DTS. Perhaps you should try changing your audio settings to either PCM or Primary Pass-thru. That way, the BH200 should decode the DTS track internally and send it to your receiver or, maybe even better, in the case of Primary Pass-thru it will send it as a bitstream to your receiver for decoding.

Again, I have no idea if this will make a difference or not, it's just the first thing that came to mind. Good luck!

-C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMolding View Post

bradavon and casey.christian:
Thanks for the input. I updated my BH200 with the March firmware and also the 0702 driver and the menu on the HD DVD of this independent movie "Channels" still doesn't highlight properly after the updates.

No worries.

Can the menus still be used otherwise? I presume they can. The BH200 seems to have an issue with several discs menus.

Quote:

I'm using a BH200 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR500 via SPDIF and using the DTS Re-encode setting. I have a copy of Jurassic Park on DVD with DTS. I am unable to play the DTS soundtrack.

Is it the R1 or Japanese R2 DVD?

Can you select DTS with the remote instead of menu? Casey maybe on to something too. If you cannot get the DTS to work I'll add it to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

I have just received the Dragon Tiger Gate Blu-ray disc from Hong Kong (not the US release).

The disc does not show a menu, yet the word Menu appears in the display, the disc icon is spinning though.

Any luck getting it to load? If not I'll add it to the list.

Dragon Tiger Gate HK BD has been confirmed to be Region Free btw (like all other HK BDs) but it's only a BD25 compared with the May USA BD which will be a BD50 and has more extras. The USA BD will have PCM instead of DTS-HD MA/TrueHD. See here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/399/...tigergate.html
post #183 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Casey, but unfortunately the Primary Pass-thru setting gives the same results. I've tried several other DVDs with DTS tracks and they seem to work fine with the DTS Re-encode setting on the BH200 - Jurassic Park is the only one I've run into problems with so far.

Quote:

Is it the R1 or Japanese R2 DVD?

Can you select DTS with the remote instead of menu?

This is the R1 DVD. Unfortunately this is one of those DVDs that doesn't allow changing to/from the DTS track once the movie has started.
post #184 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, Casey, but unfortunately the Primary Pass-thru setting gives the same results. I've tried several other DVDs with DTS tracks and they seem to work fine with the DTS Re-encode setting on the BH200 - Jurassic Park is the only one I've run into problems with so far.

Well ... damn! Sorry, I thought maybe I'd get to look really smart and help you out, too. But -- guess not.

I don't have the Jurassic Park DVD, so I can't test this myself to see if it's a BH200 issue or a receiver issue. I've played the DTS tracks on a couple other SD DVD's and haven't had any problems. Anyone else out there able to test this for us with another receiver?

-C.
post #185 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 11:41 AM

re: Jurassic Park
I'll try to test that one later today. Just a quick note in the meantime that DTS Re-encode has no effect on SD DVDs. From the manual:
Quote:

When [HDMI] and [SPDIF] options are set to
[DTS Re-Encode], the DTS audio will output on
BD and HD DVD advanced disc, and the original
audio will output on the other discs.

post #186 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the info....I have decided against the Samsung, and have ordered the LG...
post #187 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 AM

Just tested the Jurassic Park DVD (March firmware, 0702 driver).

No problems getting either DTS or DD over SPDIF (as expected, the 'DTS Re-encode' option did not transcode DD to DTS as the BH200 doesn't do that for DVDs).

BTW, I could switch back and forth from DTS to DD after starting the movie:
- press "Disc Menu"
- navigate to the "Audio" options
- choose the desired soundtrack
- choose desired subtitles
- press "Enter" (assuming "Menu" is highlighted)
- press "Enter" again ("Play" should be highlighted) and the movie should resume from where it left off

Anyway, main point is the Jurassic Park DTS soundtrack worked fine.
post #188 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 AM

Thanks for taking the time to test, oilblue. I'll give it another try. It sounds like it's either an issue in the interaction with my receiver or I'm doing something wrong.

Update: I tried Jurassic Park again today and had no problems selecting the DTS track from the initial menu and getting it to play. I'm positive the only thing that has changed since yesterday is that the player was turned off. I guess it was one of those problems that could've been fixed by a reboot.
post #189 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

also, stalingrad(enemy at the gates) is unplayable-known issue.

Just to clear this up, I wanted to add that the STALINGRAD (ENEMY AT THE GATES) HD-DVD is actually not a Studio Canal disc, it's Pathe, which is a different distributor. It doesn't work running the March firmware at all, as the earlier poster indicated (won't even load).

It actually didn't work on some early Toshiba HD-DVD players either. Hopefully this can be remedied in a future firmware along with the Studio Canal discs and that "pop up menu" glitch.
post #190 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good to see Jurassic Park works okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

Just to clear this up, I wanted to add that the STALINGRAD (ENEMY AT THE GATES) HD-DVD is actually not a Studio Canal disc, it's Pathe, which is a different distributor.

Thanks. I don't think we said it was a Studio Canal title, did we? It's owned by Pathe in the UK too.

Quote:

It doesn't work running the March firmware at all, as the earlier poster indicated.

Thanks.

Quote:

Hopefully this can be remedied in a future firmware along with the Studio Canal discs and that "pop menu" glitch.

Hopefully. I own three Studio Canal HD-DVDs myself.
post #191 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 PM

bradavon:
The menus work fine even with the highlighting problem. That's the only disc with a problem so far. Thanks for the help!
post #192 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for letting me know. All I can suggest is you log a support call with LG so they know.
post #193 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM

I have my BH200 hooked directly via hdmi to my LG plasma. I just use the tv speakers for the audio. I have noticed a repeatable audio dropout on a couple of titles. Tonight I watched Appleseed Ex Machina. Just after the 42 minute mark, there is a repeatable split second audio dropout.
I tested the disc on my Toshiba HD DVD player, hooked via hdmi to my Sony tv and just used the tv speakers to keep the test equal. NO audio dropout at the same point in the movie.
This same thing happened with The Invasion. A repeatable audio dropout on the LG that couldn't be duplicated with my other HD DVD player.
There seems to be just one per movie though. I wonder if this is due to a layer change or something like that?
post #194 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to this Appleseed Ex Machina HD-DVD is Dual Layer, so maybe:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1260/...exmachina.html

Does it always occur at the same point? Even if you skip right to that point? Without watching the entire movie.
post #195 of 1091 Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I don't think we said it was a Studio Canal title, did we? It's owned by Pathe in the UK too.

No but there was an earlier post where it was sort of lumped in with the Studio Canal titles. Just wanted to mention it as it's an entirely different issue than the SC titles as we know, that's all.
post #196 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

There seems to be just one per movie though. I wonder if this is due to a layer change or something like that?

This is possible. My HD-A2 has an split-second audio dropout on layer changes. The first disc I noticed it with was The Prestige (UK HD DVD) but I've seen it on others too.
post #197 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've added Dragon Tiger Gate HK BD to the list, following Stardust's PM:
Quote:

yes I did, I had it in the other day for about an hour or so. The menu did not appear and the disc did not play.

post #198 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM

I watched BD "Walk Hard" the Dewey Cox story this weekend. Wow! What a disaster it was. More audio dropouts than I could count. In addition, several areas of static. If I would back up and repaly it usually played fine for a few minutes and them more droputs. Anyone else have this problem?

BH200 (bit streamed)--(HDMI)--Denon 3808--(HDMI)--Panny 65

March Firmware.
post #199 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

According to this Appleseed Ex Machina HD-DVD is Dual Layer, so maybe:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1260/...exmachina.html

Does it always occur at the same point? Even if you skip right to that point? Without watching the entire movie.

Yes, it's at the exact same spot every time I skip forward or backwards to it.
post #200 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:

This is possible. My HD-A2 has an split-second audio dropout on layer changes. The first disc I noticed it with was The Prestige (UK HD DVD) but I've seen it on others too.

I tested Appleseed Ex Machina on my HD A2. No dropout at the spot where it drops out on the LG.
post #201 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

Yes, it's at the exact same spot every time I skip forward or backwards to it.

Thanks. That blows my "random" thinking.
post #202 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 PM

I think I have another one for you.

POC: At Worlds End

flickering menu while running in 1080p/24

it is functional, just flickery during the movie ,

I didn't check the menu before the movie, nor with 24hz disabled
post #203 of 1091 Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Halfsane. That title has been mentioned a few times.

I've not been inclined to include flickering menu problems due to how it seems to affect several titles and isn't always consistent.
post #204 of 1091 Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM

I had some issues with the BD version of "Sunshine". At two points in the movie, for some reason, the direction audio commentary would pop in along with the movie soundtrack for about 30 seconds.
post #205 of 1091 Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 PM

So I've already posted in the BH200 sticky thread, about the problem with Bourne Ultimatum, with Dolby TrueHD being bitstreamed and the audio 'hiccups' at certain parts of the movie.

The latest is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (not the US 'Sorcerer' version). Dolby TrueHD doesn't even work, when an attempt to bitstream it is made. If I set the player to decode, then it works fine.
post #206 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepawn1 View Post

I had some issues with the BD version of "Sunshine". At two points in the movie, for some reason, the direction audio commentary would pop in along with the movie soundtrack for about 30 seconds.

Had the same exact problem with Resident Evil: Extinction. I had to rewind back to where the commentary audio started to fix it.
post #207 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepawn1 View Post

Which firmware? SPDIF or HDMI? Was it PiP audio or one of the commentary tracks?

With the original firmware and SPDIF, the only way we could avoid the PiP audio at all was to switch away from DTS Re-encode and go with Primary Pass-thru (and then select the DD5.1 track). Still, for a supposed Profile 1.0 player, I considered it a decent enough test result as it indicated to me that Profile 1.1 support would be coming.

Sunshine was a rental so I haven't re-tested, and I'm curious. Sounds like things have improved, but still not exactly perfect.

In addition to PiP, Sunshine had another Profile 1.1 special feature. "Journey Into Sound: Surround Sound Enhancement" under Special Features where you could control which speaker the ship's voice came from. That one didn't work with the original firmware over SPDIF. No computer voice out of any speaker. Has anyone tried that with the newer firmware? Might work better considering the audio enhancements...

Whether it works or not, it doesn't affect movie playback. Still, would be nice to see things like that fixed via firmware updates.
post #208 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

The latest is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (not the US 'Sorcerer' version). Dolby TrueHD doesn't even work, when an attempt to bitstream it is made. If I set the player to decode, then it works fine.

Is that a Canadian HD-DVD? Has anyone else come across TrueHD not working at all? So far I know of:

* Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone HD-DVD
* Happy Feet HD-DVD

Are there any others? It's weird how the BH200 has much more troubles generally speaking with HD-DVDs than BDs. At least in the case of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone you can get TrueHD by setting it to on-board decode.

I never did understand why it was renamed in America, as if a Philosopher is such a rare word. A Philosopher isn't even the same thing as a Sorcerer
post #209 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I just hooked mine up today and am having problems with the following

Planet Earth HD DVD -- freezes on main menu
Bourne Identity HD DVD -- freezes on main menu
The Matrix HD DVD -- see studio logo then freezes (no menu)
Bourne Ultimatum -- freezes, no menu, no anything.

These are all US releases with March firmware. The only HD DVD I've managed to get to work was Batman Begins....but then I can't bitstream anything with HD DVD either

I guess I will be sending this one back.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #210 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Is that a Canadian HD-DVD? Has anyone else come across TrueHD not working at all? So far I know of:

* Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone HD-DVD
* Happy Feet HD-DVD

Are there any others? It's weird how the BH200 has much more troubles generally speaking with HD-DVDs than BDs. At least in the case of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone you can get TrueHD by setting it to on-board decode.

Just wanted to pop in here real quick and say my North American copy of Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone on HD-DVD seems to work fine; it bitstreams the Dolby TrueHD to my Onkyo 705 without issue. I don't know if I'm just getting really lucky or what, but I guess I'm still waiting for the one, big problem disk to come along.

I'll test more disks this weekend.

-C.
Closed Thread Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page