post #91 of 143 Old 03-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruginator View Post

But given other members' audio problems, I am beginning to wonder if the audio/video problems experienced by other 5000 owners are not HDCP handshake problems isolated to specific pieces of equipment i.e. not really a 5000 issue, but rather how the 5000 interfaces with these pieces of equipment.

You mean HDMI handshake issues? I can verify that the audio dropouts on standard DVDs are definitely NOT due to any HDMI issues since I'm using the optical output.

I think that it's entirely possible that ALL 5000s actually ARE exhibiting this issue with standard DVDs, but that some users have systems that recover so fast that they go by unnoticed. I know that I heard numerous dropouts on the "Into the Wild" standard DVD the other night, but my wife only heard a couple. These dropouts can be VERY fast and if they happen in the right spots, it would not surprise me if many people didn't always notice them.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 143 Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM

I had originaly bought the up5000, but took it back because of the issues with it. But BB dropped the price to $599, I said ok, & bought it. I just loaded the 1.2 firmware tonight. Before with 1.1 FW the BD "Sunshine" would lock up at 4:46 into the movie with audio set for DTS HD, I could switch it to DD 5.1 & it would play. Now in DTS it plays, but I switch to DD it locks up. Go figure.
post #93 of 143 Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old AV Buff View Post

I had originaly bought the up5000, but took it back because of the issues with it. But BB dropped the price to $599, I said ok, & bought it. I just loaded the 1.2 firmware tonight. Before with 1.1 FW the BD "Sunshine" would lock up at 4:46 into the movie with audio set for DTS HD, I could switch it to DD 5.1 & it would play. Now in DTS it plays, but I switch to DD it locks up. Go figure.

DTS is still the issue . I verified this with 1.1 just a few days ago. If you set it to DD 5.1 then it is fine. DTS freezes at about the 11 minute mark or so, it will also mess up if you skip chapters, change settings ect.
post #94 of 143 Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Saying "everyone" is overstated....I still havent had audio dropouts like that on films that have worked.....

Vinnie, just watched though the first hour of Beowulf with no audio dropouts\\glitches......Have to do so house work before the "boss" comes home so I had to stop it for now.

I just checked again with 1.2 to see if I'm going mental. HDMI --> Audiophile (Bitstream) --> Dolby Digital Plus English track. Playing back from the beginning with no interruptions warrants 3 audible dropouts between 4 and 6 minutes.

EDIT: Playing the first 20 minutes, those are the only ones I noticed. I'll watch the feature in full one of these days thanks to this discovery...not exactly a showstopper like Sunshine.
post #95 of 143 Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I just checked again with 1.2 to see if I'm going mental. HDMI --> Audiophile (Bitstream) --> Dolby Digital Plus English track. Playing back from the beginning with no interruptions warrants 3 audible dropouts between 4 and 6 minutes.

EDIT: Playing the first 20 minutes, those are the only ones I noticed. I'll watch the feature in full one of these days thanks to this discovery...not exactly a showstopper like Sunshine.

yeah i was listening for them too and didnt notice any especially early on. The move is "different" not sure worth all the hype. I preferred Sunshine as it felt more "satisfying" IMO.

The DTS track on Sunshine though is wow, I hope we do get it to play again Id watch the movie just to hear it again The DD is no slouch, but it is missing the extra "punch".
post #96 of 143 Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Ok, I am experiencing something new. When I fwd or reverse and hit play, I sometimes get a pop sound from my speakers . It does this with any disc. I tried it with 1.0 firmware and it doesn't do this, 1.1 and 1.2 it does. Anyone else?
post #97 of 143 Old 03-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

NO way to edit the thread title now . I am going to "report" myself and see if a Mod can do it. The only thing that I can change is the "inner" thread title. I am happy to hear though that the fix came out so quick.

Ah -- I didn't know that this board had that limitation.

Thanks for letting me know.

Larry
post #98 of 143 Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Everytime I set my display menu to 1080p or 720p or whatever, it always forgets my choice when the power gets turned off and when turned back on will be 1080i everytime so every time I want to watch something I have to change it.
post #99 of 143 Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
After 1.2, I can no longer watch ANY of my HD discs, whether HD-DVD or BR, without losing the picture intermittently. I had watched some of these discs before without issue. Grrrrrrrr
post #100 of 143 Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

After 1.2, I can no longer watch ANY of my HD discs, whether HD-DVD or BR, without losing the picture intermittently. I had watched some of these discs before without issue. Grrrrrrrr

Turn AnyNet off. ?
post #101 of 143 Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM

For those having Sunshine playback problems (the same goes for at least the 2 of you who reported intermittent audio dropouts on Beowulf), give Samsung a ring at 1-800-Samsung and explain them in detail. After having just gotten off the phone with level 2 support and documenting the problems above, I was told there have been no other reports and that I would need to send in my player for repair. I'm at the end of my 90-day labor warranty but I'm not exactly enthused about sending in what I believe is a functional unit that they will later tell me has no problems and that they can't recreate my problem in the lab.

Considering the sheer lack of problems I have on most high-def titles (DVD audio drop-outs notwithstanding, I don't own many DVDs) and that I only complained about 2 titles, for them to diagnose my unit as one in need of repair seems a bit excessive/premature.
post #102 of 143 Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jascias View Post

Ok, I am experiencing something new. When I fwd or reverse and hit play, I sometimes get a pop sound from my speakers . It does this with any disc. I tried it with 1.0 firmware and it doesn't do this, 1.1 and 1.2 it does. Anyone else?

Yup, it happens to me too... I can't wait until they get their act together and fix these problems... The new ones and the old ones... Geezzzzz!!!!

Peace...
post #103 of 143 Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Oh yea, Blopid...forgot to mention that this same tech gave an approximate HD audio fix date for May as we have been told before.

Unfortunately, I got sidetracked by the offer to send the player in all because of a bleepin audio dropout and a disc playback problem others are experiencing.
post #104 of 143 Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jascias View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blopid View Post

Yup, it happens to me too... I can't wait until they get their act together and fix these problems... The new ones and the old ones... Geezzzzz!!!!

Peace...

Well, this is scary. It's one thing to have a slew of problems and fix them a few at a time in multiple updates, while leaving us all hanging. It's quite another to add new problems with each update. Introducing new audio/video problems is inexcusable. Combine that with the 1.1 Internet fiasco which shows that the firmware testing stinks, and I begin to lose faith.
post #105 of 143 Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:

For those having Sunshine playback problems (the same goes for at least the 2 of you who reported intermittent audio dropouts on Beowulf), give Samsung a ring at 1-800-Samsung and explain them in detail. After having just gotten off the phone with level 2 support and documenting the problems above, I was told there have been no other reports and that I would need to send in my player for repair. I'm at the end of my 90-day labor warranty but I'm not exactly enthused about sending in what I believe is a functional unit that they will later tell me has no problems and that they can't recreate my problem in the lab.

Considering the sheer lack of problems I have on most high-def titles (DVD audio drop-outs notwithstanding, I don't own many DVDs) and that I only complained about 2 titles, for them to diagnose my unit as one in need of repair seems a bit excessive/premature.

This post emphasizes a fear I have had ever since buying my 5000 and following this and other threads. There appears to be very little internal communication at Samsung. The customer service reps vary greatly in competence, none of them seem to know what the others are doing, and there appears to be no central database of reported problems. I find it impossible to believe that vinnie97 is in fact the first person ever to complain about this problem. It appears to be easier for the reps to approve a repair order than it is for them to report up the line about a new (to them) complaint.

What disturbs me the most is that the service reps are always ready to blame their own hardware. It never seems to occur to them that the vast majority of known problems with the 5000 are software related.
post #106 of 143 Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM

Amen, and this was *after* a 3-minute hold time so that he could research my complaints. He told me a firmware engineer or some such had no record of having any reports about these discs. That is a little hard to believe, especially in the case of Sunshine.

Give 'em hell, people.
post #107 of 143 Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Give 'em hell, people.

Most definitely.
post #108 of 143 Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 PM

Liked: 14
I really haven't had a chance to go through other discs yet, so this may be an issue related to me needing to set all speakers to small.

I watched the TFE blu the other day, using the UPCM audio out the analog jacks to get 5.1 sound, as we all know using the TrueHD I just get two channels which sucks.

Anyway that was my first time trying the 5000 using the analog outs, as my Sunfire Pre has 8 channel (7.1) analog inputs. Overall it sounded good, but when it got into intense scenes, like some of the firefights/explosions, the outputs would sharp kinda chatter noises, like the peaks were clipping off or something. Hell with the dynamics the new HD movies can have, they sure shouldn't be clipping on us like that. I know the Sunfire can handle dynamic content, as with normal DD stuff, it can rumble the floors!

So maybe I need to set the speakers to small, which sorta bites with the capabilities of my speakers, but if it stops the chatter on UPCM stuff that would be nice.

Overall I like the 5000, but 2-channel when watching movies just isn't going to cut it. So I am praying they fix it...
post #109 of 143 Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM

The last time a did a firmware update was in December. Yesterday I did a firmware update via ethernet I am guessing it is the latest update because after downloading it the screen stated you have the latest update. After the update Fifth Element and Resident Evil Extinction wont play the DD track. I have tried several audio options on the player and none will show DD on my receiver. All of my other discs Blu ray and Hd dvd dont have this problem. Is anyone experiencing this problem or am I doing something wrong?
post #110 of 143 Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john19 View Post

After the update Fifth Element and Resident Evil Extinction wont play the DD track. I have tried several audio options on the player and none will show DD on my receiver. All of my other discs Blu ray and Hd dvd dont have this problem. Is anyone experiencing this problem or am I doing something wrong?

I don't know about "Fifth Element," but I know that on the "Resident Evil: Extinction" BD, the only English track is Dolby TrueHD, which is downmixed and output as 2 Channel with the 5000 (a problem that were waiting for a firmware update to fix.) This might explain what you're experiencing. The new firmware, however, had nothing to do with this -- this has always been a problem with this player.

Larry
post #111 of 143 Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM

thanks I though I was doing something wrong.
post #112 of 143 Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know where I could download 1.0 and/or 1.1 firmware. As soon as I setup my player I updated the firmware before actually testing anything and now when I have my player setup with hdmi I have black/grey dots all over the screen in movies or the main menu. It looks fine with component inputs, but even with a different hdmi cable (which works with my SA 8300) and a different input looks crappy. Btw, I have a sony 60xbr1 if anyone has had the same problem.
post #113 of 143 Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Does anyone know where I could download 1.0 and/or 1.1 firmware. As soon as I setup my player I updated the firmware before actually testing anything and now when I have my player setup with hdmi I have black/grey dots all over the screen in movies or the main menu. It looks fine with component inputs, but even with a different hdmi cable (which works with my SA 8300) and a different input looks crappy. Btw, I have a sony 60xbr1 if anyone has had the same problem.

You dont want 1.1, and 1.0 would be included with 1.2. If you update to 1.2 it would include all fixes released prior including the most recent changes introduced with 1.2. 1.1 will kill your Ethernet connection and the only known difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is the Ethernet fix that came with 1.2.

Are you going direct connect from the 5K to the Xbr? If not I would try that to see if your receiver is introducing these issues. Make sure that you have DNR turned OFF on the player, you do not want need any enhancements when playing HD DVD\\Blu-ray. The enhancements should only be used with SD DVDs. I remember people saying they saw dots before, but since then I believe it was corrected.

If you want 1.0 you would have to have someone upload it for you as I dont think Samsung would ship that version to you. I have it, but I dont think its going to solve the issue you have. I can upload it for you, but probably not until sometime tomorrow.
post #114 of 143 Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, I did a search in the owners thread(XBr1) and other people have had this occur, so it could be the TV as well. There were a few people who had the same issue as you and a cable switch out, firmware upgrade on the TV\\Projector also fixed this issue for them. You have the player set up to 1080p\\60 right?, if not I would try that as well. I am not too familiar with that TV so troubleshooting will only be basic.
post #115 of 143 Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The hdmi cable goes directly to the tv. I have tried 1080i, 720p, 480p with the same results. I don't believe any firmware upgrade is available with my tv as it's nearly 3 years old and I don't see anything posted on sony's website. I did try a different hdmi cable that works perfect with my cable box, so I would imagine it isn't that, but I can't be too sure I suppose.

I always keep DNR/crappy processing effects off on my stuff.

I couldn't really find anything in the owners thread relating to my problem... though maybe my searching skills suck.

I'm not entirely sure if the player had these problems before I upgraded, I was just going to give it a shot if I could find the firmware quick. Still waiting for samsung to get back to my email. I'll call tonight and give em heck.
post #116 of 143 Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I always keep DNR/crappy processing effects off on my stuff...

That's the idea I had. You are aware that, when you upgrade the FW, it resets everything to factory presets? I can't remember, but isn't DNR one of the settings that defaults to "on"? Check and make sure it's still turned off.

Good luck,
Doug
post #117 of 143 Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM

regarding CD firmware upgrade...my 1.2 disc is in the mail...

the first time didnt go so well, it wiped out all the firmware on my machine to the point nothing would load or even open the tray...

looking over the instructions, i just want to make sure i get it right rather than blow up another machine and hav to wait 5 weeks again... the player basically reads the disc first verifying the firmware, then it stores the info, you remove the disc, and then it does the upgrade?

also, did anyone have issues with Dan in real Life? i didnt see it on the other lists but mine wouldnt play

on a side note, samsung's answer to the reason why these discs dont play (or this is wat the level 2 tech told me over the phone) is because newer discs come with newer stuff on them...why is it then that EVERY disc ive tried on my PS3 loads properly and way faster than the BD-UP5000? they also play the special features...
post #118 of 143 Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM

My 5000 is presently using FW 1.0. I have been reluctant to go to 1.2 because of a couple of problems which have been reported earlier in this thread. Two people stated that they get occasional pops from their speakers when using 1.2 but did not under 1.0. And one poor person had the disc tray fail immediately after installing 1.2. That last problem may have been a coincidence---a hardware failure occurring at a very bad time. But more than one person has reported the pops. And I haven't heard about any problem disc that 1.2 completely fixed, although there were some partial fixes.

Can anyone recommend 1.2 and, if so, why?
post #119 of 143 Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisincalif View Post

My 5000 is presently using FW 1.0. I have been reluctant to go to 1.2 because of a couple of problems which have been reported earlier in this thread. Two people stated that they get occasional pops from their speakers when using 1.2 but did not under 1.0. And one poor person had the disc tray fail immediately after installing 1.2. That last problem may have been a coincidence---a hardware failure occurring at a very bad time. But more than one person has reported the pops. And I haven't heard about any problem disc that 1.2 completely fixed, although there were some partial fixes.

Can anyone recommend 1.2 and, if so, why?

For me it was a vast improvement. With 1.0 and 1.1 AG would only load if I used a double tap on the FastForward key and Elizabeth TGA would not play at all. As soon as I uploaded the 1.2 firmware both discs played without any problems. I have not had any speaker pops with this firmware.

I realize that the information we have is that 1.2 only corrected the ethernet problem which was created by 1.1. However, it corrected additional disc incompatibility problems for me.
post #120 of 143 Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john19 View Post

The last time a did a firmware update was in December. Yesterday I did a firmware update via ethernet I am guessing it is the latest update because after downloading it the screen stated you have the latest update. After the update Fifth Element and Resident Evil Extinction wont play the DD track. I have tried several audio options on the player and none will show DD on my receiver. All of my other discs Blu ray and Hd dvd dont have this problem. Is anyone experiencing this problem or am I doing something wrong?

I loaded the 1.2 FW & was able to watch Sunshine all the way through with DTS HD as long as I did not skip any chapters or switch to DD which now locks up as it did with DTS HD at the 4:46 minute mark with 1.1 FW. As for TFE BD not playing DD, it lists in the audio selection English 5.1, which plays as DTS on my receiver.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page