post #1 of 143 Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Going to start a new thread for the updated firmware. You can download it here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...p_nm=BD-UP5000

This firmware is for "compatibility issues" nothing specific has been mentioned. Please report things that still need to be fixed, or things that have been fixed in this thread. As wit the last thread please keep things respectful and positive in this thread. Hopefully this will stay "on topic" with only users reporting back. I should have this installed tomorrow, but hopefully we can get some early reports back.

Reported (Global) Bugs:

Once Updated to Ver 1.1 the Ethernet connection fails. Falling back to 1.0 fixes this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Going to start a new thread for the updated firmware. You can download it here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...p_nm=BD-UP5000

This firmware is for "compatibility issues" nothing specific has been mentioned. Please report things that still need to be fixed, or things that have been fixed in this thread. As wit the last thread please keep things respectful and positive in this thread. Hopefully this will stay "on topic" with only users reporting back. I should have this installed tomorrow, but hopefully we can get some early reports back.

Can someone please check if this new V1.1 fixed the gurgling (or motorboating) audio problem that the V1.0 firmware introduced on Ratatoulle BD DVD movie? How about the popping up angle icon in same movie, does it still pop up during the movie? Thanks!

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #3 of 143 Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Good news, unbiased. Five minutes in on Ratatouille on the PCM source over HDMI (audiophile bitstream setting within the 5000), there is no motorboating/distortion and the angle icon is gone.

EDIT: Meh, spoke too soon...new audio dropout I hadn't heard before (nonrepeatable) on this disc.
post #4 of 143 Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Didn't have much time to play. 90 seconds actually.

Meet the Robinsons gurgling on the PCM track appears to be fixed. With me, it ALWAYS happened in the rain at the beginning of the movie.

PCM still shows as 7.1

More play time tomorrow.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #5 of 143 Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 PM

It would freeze around the dinner scene under 1.0. I had to reboot the player. Now it works fine. It used to freeze all the time same scene.
post #6 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Paramount/Dreamworks HD DVDs: 24 fps appears to be resolved. The flickering has subsided during movie playback (confirmed on Beowulf and Disturbia)

Beowulf HD DVD: Still hangs before the web update activates. Proceeds after 30 seconds to a minute. The movie itself is still riddled with audio dropouts (dolby digital plus selected). Since this movie newly released, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for an April fix (I'll also give support a ring and advise everyone else with the disc to do the same).

Sunshine: Played perfectly for 12 minutes. Apparently resolved.

Addendum on Sunshine: With DTS-HD selected as the audio track, fast forwarding in the film will halt video AND audio playback (though the player controls are still responsive, including movie navigation). Any other subsequent movie loaded will exhibit this same behavior until a power cycle is performed. Major software bug.
post #7 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 01:21 AM

Just tried to download new firmware throught the ethernet connection on the player, and it is still not recognized. Anyone get it through the player yet?
post #8 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMM1 View Post

Just tried to download new firmware throught the ethernet connection on the player, and it is still not recognized. Anyone get it through the player yet?

Usually the update is a few hours(at least) behind the internet...Should be available by morning....
post #9 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well now, this may require a call to Samsung.

Last night, I downloaded and installed the firmware via a CD. Went well, took all of about 10 minutes.

I noticed when I went into the System Menu and selected System Update, I received the message that the unit couldn't connect to the internet. (It did connect prior to the 1.1 update). Knowing I didn't have much time last night to play around, I decided to check Meet The Robinsons.

This morning, I had a little time to play. I powered on the 5000 and let it sit. I couldn't see the unit connected to my network. Hmmm.

I reboot the 5000, and it still hasn't connected.

I set the IP address manually, and still no go. Reboot, still no go. Went back to DHCP. No go. Held down the FF button until the 5000 asked me to set the language, and tried again with DHCP. No luck.

Anything I am missing as it related to troubleshooting? I can think of any.

I am hardwired to a WGR-125, bridged to another. It was working prior to the FW 1.1 update.

Looks like the 1.1 killed my network port.

post #10 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post

Confirmed on my setup. Worked before, now it doesn't

Kevin Windrem
post #11 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Well now, this may require a call to Samsung.

Last night, I downloaded and installed the firmware via a CD. Went well, took all of about 10 minutes.

I noticed when I went into the System Menu and selected System Update, I received the message that the unit couldn't connect to the internet. (It did connect prior to the 1.1 update). Knowing I didn't have much time last night to play around, I decided to check Meet The Robinsons.

This morning, I had a little time to play. I powered on the 5000 and let it sit. I couldn't see the unit connected to my network. Hmmm.

I reboot the 5000, and it still hasn't connected.

I set the IP address manually, and still no go. Reboot, still no go. Went back to DHCP. No go. Held down the FF button until the 5000 asked me to set the language, and tried again with DHCP. No luck.

Anything I am missing as it related to troubleshooting? I can think of any.

I am hardwired to a WGR-125, bridged to another. It was working prior to the FW 1.1 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post

Okay - has anyone tried to roll back to v1.0? I went ahead with the upgrade this morning, but did not have a chance to do any testing prior to leaving for work.

If it improves playback with issues related to Sunshine, I'll keep it on for a while.

Besides, I performed the v1.0 upgrade via a direct 10MB connection, and the 1.1 upgrade via download & burn to CD, and the 1.1 upgrade was far faster than downloading directly into the player via my LAN. ...I haven't compared the size of the firmware update which may have something to do with the speed of things, but overall I'd say that the CD upgrade method was a bit faster.

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #12 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM

I had reported that I had repeatable dropouts on Apollo 13 SD DVD playing the DTS track in Audiophile mode (PCM mode is clean). One place that's easy to find is the chapter 4/5 chapter change. There's also one in the DTS intro! V1.1 does NOT fix this.

This problem occurs with audio via HDMI or S/PDIF. (Audiophile and Reencode modes). (Note Reencode is the same as Audiophile mode SD DVDs.)

Kevin Windrem
post #13 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post

Please call Samsung. 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864), options 5-1-2.

I am currently on the phone with Level 2 support, and they are offering me a replacement. I am refusing at this time, since I am 99.9999% sure it isn't hardware, and I am not taking the chance of upgrading to 1.1 on the new one and losing the network port again. Too much of a hassle right now. I may take him up on the replacement in a few weeks.

The Level 2 guys said I was the first person to call in about this.

post #14 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

Okay - has anyone tried to roll back to v1.0? I went ahead with the upgrade this morning, but did not have a chance to do any testing prior to leaving for work.

If it improves playback with issues related to Sunshine, I'll keep it on for a while.

Besides, I performed the v1.0 upgrade via a direct 10MB connection, and the 1.1 upgrade via download & burn to CD, and the 1.1 upgrade was far faster than downloading directly into the player via my LAN. ...I haven't compared the size of the firmware update which may have something to do with the speed of things, but overall I'd say that the CD upgrade method was a bit faster.

edit - attempting to roll back right now. Found the 1.0 CD.

and yes, the CD upgrade is faster.

roll back results -

10:56 AM PST - Able to roll back to version 1.0. Redid the system settings, and then checked for firmware update form within the 5000. Unit indicates that I have the latest firmware. My Trend Micro Internet Security now discovers the 5000. Now checking Meet the Robinsons again.

11:03 AM PST - Within the first 120 seconds of the Meet the Robinsons, I am able to reproduce the distorted sound from the Uncompressed 5.1 track. A quick pause and restart fixes it. Time for another call to Samsung.

post #15 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

edit - attempting to roll back right now. Found the 1.0 CD.

and yes, the CD upgrade is faster.

roll back results - PENDING

It will be interesting to see if the LAN port comes back with the prior version - this would give Samsung some valuable info in troubleshooting.

...of course they should have discovered this in testing.

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #16 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

A General Question:

How serious are the audio drop out on the Samsung? Are they something only an audiophile (such as you gents) would notice or (sexist hat on) something the girlfriend and/or family would notice too?

Thanks.
post #17 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

on the phone with Level 2 support as I am upgrading again to 1.1 explaining what I can and can not do in each version.

Man this guy is a gem. I liked the first guy I talked to much better. Slower speaker (southern type accept), listened to me much more than this guy is. Sounds like he is forcing me to a repair I don't want.

post #18 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Whew. They are going to send me a firmware CD. US Postal Service it sounds like. 7 - 10 business days before I receive it.

post #19 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Whew. They are going to send me a firmware CD. US Postal Service it sounds like. 7 - 10 business days before I receive it.

What good does that do? You already have the FW--or is this an even newer FW??

post #20 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Anyone done the 1.1 update and had it NOT bork your ethernet?
post #21 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Are they sending you the same 1.1v firmware are something entirely different?

Are they going to look into these issues?
Thanks.
post #22 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 94
If you're not connecting your player to the network, does firmware update to 1.1 make sense since you aren't worried about breaking the network connection?

post #23 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM

My internet ability is gone now too. Tried a few times to set it back up. All settings just like before but no internet access. 1.1 screwed it up. Was working perfectly before.
Will call Samsung!

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

post #24 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGavin View Post

Anyone done the 1.1 update and had it NOT bork your ethernet?

I'm waiting to hear an answer to this as well. If this is consistently breaking network access, how could Samsung have missed that?? On the other hand, I'm sure that will prompt a quick fix.

Ph8te, could you keep the first post updated with a bulleted list of reported bugs? It'll make the thread easier to navigate as the bug reports roll in.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #25 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post

I'm waiting to hear an answer to this as well. If this is consistently breaking network access, how could Samsung have missed that?? On the other hand, I'm sure that will prompt a quick fix.

Hopefully they'll just flip back on whatever switch they accidently flipped off, and repost the firmware within a matter of days.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #26 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

What good does that do? You already have the FW--or is this an even newer FW??

Well, we shall find out. The guy did say they were sending me a 1.1 CD. Maybe Samsung released a FW to the web that was different that what is on the CD? Nothing major, but maybe the dev team sent the wrong FW to the web?

I am just happy I don't have to ship it anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamJNS View Post

Are they sending you the same 1.1v firmware are something entirely different?

Are they going to look into these issues?
Thanks.

Well, if I am the only one to call in, then I am sure they are NOT going to look into it until I send my unit in. So again, to those of you who have upgraded to 1.1 and the network connection is no longer functioning, please call Samsung as soon as you can.

The 2nd Level 2 guy I talked to said that he was able to access the network on both version 1.0 and 1.1.

post #27 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

- if you have a 5000, make sure you have the 1.0 firmware available. Upgrade to 1.1, and if it breaks the network call Samsung. Then, you can roll back to 1.0.

Quote:

Ph8te, could you keep the first post updated with a bulleted list of reported bugs? It'll make the thread easier to navigate as the bug reports roll in.

- I agree

post #28 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM

Has anyone tried Live Free or Die Hard with 1.1? I am one of those unfortunate souls who couldn't play it after 1.0 (just get the red screen of death)...
post #29 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM

With regards to firmware v1.1, I downloaded it from the website and burned to a CD. The update went smoothly.

However, reading other people's problems with the internet connection post the 1.1 update, I have now lost my LAN connection as well. I was able to update via the LAN connection with v1.0.

I don't really care if I have the LAN connection or not, but I thought I would try given other user's problems.
post #30 of 143 Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruginator View Post

With regards to firmware v1.1,... The update went smoothly... I have now lost my LAN connection as well.

Make sure to call Samsung to report it.
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page