BD-UP5000 problem discs - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1308 Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I actually sort of like Transformers, I'll stick with my HD DVD version and will not double dip.

Not that I even have my UP5000 yet...come on UPS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1308 Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^As you may have seen over at HDD (or here), there is a volume differentiation between the two (TrueHD being louder)...on top of that, the bass is apparently channeled to the .1 channel more so in the TrueHD encode. It's not an ideal comparison unfortunately...especially not enough for me to double dip with this mediocre movie.

I did read about the volume differentiation as well as the LFE being refocused although I forgot which forum. I didn't volume match the two tracks, but what I did notice at the default setting I have is the dialogue on the DD+ track seems a bit more sharp, but that's what I notice about most DD and DD+ tracks. The bass was at times a lower frequency than the TrueHD track but at the expense of being more muddy vs a tight bass sound. What I'm curious about, although too lazy to move the BH200 downstairs and hook it up, is whether the 5K and BH200 bitstream the same since I've read but can't find definitive evidence that the BH200 is not as loud.

I wouldn't double dip on this title but my distributor got it for me cheap, less than $10. The movie wasn't great, thought it was fun and brought back some childhood memories.

Going to let the 5K give Nightwatch and The Forbidden Kingdom a quick run tonight.
post #273 of 1308 Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM

Hi. It's 23:20 and I just received Transformers BD from Amazon USA around 20:45 (late delivery from Canada Post). I had a little 'double skip' before she opens the door and goes to check the engine...but when rewinding back to the point and playing it again, it played fine...the rest of the movie plays fine, menus, extras, HUD, etc. all play great. I only have a digital headset (Sony) that can decode DTS so I am limited for the audio checkup but after playing the HD DVD at the introduction and playing the BD immediately after, I must say I like the sound better on the HD DVD...Maybe it's just me but I do get goosebumps when listening to the HD DVD but none listening to the BD....
My audio setup is at 'bitstream re-encode'. This BD seems to be a perfect copy of the HD DVD except for the box color and the discs and the audio, 'bien sur'(of course). As for getting it on both formats, well it's just me, what can I do...
Regards.

Jean-Yves--HD DVD's: 17--BD's: 111--65vt25--bd-up5000--ps3
post #274 of 1308 Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
sounds like Kill Bill 1 and 2 wont play on the BH200, so yeah theres another reason I want this player. Can anyone with the UP5K confirm if the Kill Bill movies work ok?
post #275 of 1308 Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM

We watched Kill Bill 1 on the 5k without problems. Just popped it into the BH200 and nothing unusual so far.
post #276 of 1308 Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jylavmtlcda View Post

Hi. It's 23:20 and I just received Transformers BD from Amazon USA around 20:45 (late delivery from Canada Post). I had a little 'double skip' before she opens the door and goes to check the engine...but when rewinding back to the point and playing it again, it played fine...the rest of the movie plays fine, menus, extras, HUD, etc. all play great. I only have a digital headset (Sony) that can decode DTS so I am limited for the audio checkup but after playing the HD DVD at the introduction and playing the BD immediately after, I must say I like the sound better on the HD DVD...Maybe it's just me but I do get goosebumps when listening to the HD DVD but none listening to the BD....
My audio setup is at 'bitstream re-encode'. This BD seems to be a perfect copy of the HD DVD except for the box color and the discs and the audio, 'bien sur'(of course). As for getting it on both formats, well it's just me, what can I do...
Regards.

Thank you I thought I was the only one. I had a stutter during that part too.
post #277 of 1308 Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 PM

I had issues with "CJ7" last night -- the part where Dicky wears the magic glasses to class, the movie froze and wouldn't budge until I skipped to the next chapter. It did the same thing during fight between the fat boy and fat girl. It was a Netflix rental, but there wasn't a mark on the disc that I could see, and I even cleaned it with a lint-free cloth. Altogether, I missed around 5-6 minutes of the movie because of this. Hopefully it was just a flaw in the disc -- plan to buy it soon, so we'll see.
post #278 of 1308 Old 09-14-2008, 06:45 PM

I'll check out CJ7 sometime this week, do you happen to know which chapter is giving you issues?

Also, has anyone else experienced loading problems with The Forbidden Kingdom? After inserting the disc, the display just keeps displaying "loading" and there is a sound as if the drive can't seem to properly find where to access the disc. I hate that sound since my 2nd 5K eventually did that to over 50% of my BDs and I ended up sending that unti back into Samsung only to have it replaced by a lousy BD-P1500.
post #279 of 1308 Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Nah I don't, I already sent it back to Netflix. When you do watch it, it'll be, and I don't think I'm giving anything away here, when Dicky arrives in class with his new glasses, that entire scene in the class. And if you can get through the whole fight scene (the only one in the movie), then you got through both areas that gave me trouble
post #280 of 1308 Old 09-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Just a note, tried playing Made of Honor blu ray tonight and nothing would happen. Had to watch it on ps3. Anyone else encounter this issue?
post #281 of 1308 Old 09-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I'm testing out an open box UP5000 and could not get Street Kings or Fool's Gold to play (both bluray). The Departed (HD-DVD) played fine. My kids watch a couple of regular dvd's with no problems.
post #282 of 1308 Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkk41 View Post

Just a note, tried playing Made of Honor blu ray tonight and nothing would happen. Had to watch it on ps3. Anyone else encounter this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter View Post

I'm testing out an open box UP5000 and could not get Street Kings or Fool's Gold to play (both bluray). The Departed (HD-DVD) played fine. My kids watch a couple of regular dvd's with no problems.

It would help if you would list the firmware your players have. If you don't have the latest, I would suggest you upgrade to see if that helps: sometimes newer titles have features or implementations that bugger up the older firmware versions.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #283 of 1308 Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

It would help if you would list the firmware your players have. If you don't have the latest, I would suggest you upgrade to see if that helps: sometimes newer titles have features or implementations that bugger up the older firmware versions.

shinksma

My bd up 5000 is up to date on firmware. This is the first disk that i have encountered a problem with since the sunshine issue.
post #284 of 1308 Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

I updated to the latest firmware this past Friday when I set-up the player. Tried a couple of more blu-rays and none of them would work. All blurays work on the PS3. I'm wondering if it a problem because it's not hooked up to the internet anymore after updating firmware. I've never had this problem with the Toshiba HD-DVD players not hooked up to the internet.
post #285 of 1308 Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

I updated to the latest firmware this past Friday when I set-up the player. Tried a couple of more blu-rays and none of them would work. All blurays work on the PS3. I'm wondering if it a problem because it's not hooked up to the internet anymore after updating firmware. I've never had this problem with the Toshiba HD-DVD players not hooked up to the internet.

Nah. You don't need connect to internet. BluRay doesn't require that (yet). There is known issue about some players that can't play Fox BluRays and need to send the player back to Samsung to fix it. If your player can't play any BDs, it looks like a hardware problem unfortunately.
post #286 of 1308 Old 09-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:

If you're having issues with quite a few BDs, then it's a hardware problem. I was able to load up Street Kings and start the movie. By the way, when you load up BDs does the machine just make a slight mechanical loading noises every few seconds?
post #287 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

I watched Street Kings about two weeks ago without issue......
post #288 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 10:18 AM

I tried playing Iron man last night, and it would not play. I got the menu and then hit play, then it was blank. I might not have give it enough time to play. I believe I gave it about 2 min., but I had friends over so I broke out the Panny BD to play it.
post #289 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post

If you're having issues with quite a few BDs, then it's a hardware problem. I was able to load up Street Kings and start the movie. By the way, when you load up BDs does the machine just make a slight mechanical loading noises every few seconds?

Thats what mine did with iron Man.
post #290 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkid4 View Post

I tried playing Iron man last night, and it would not play. I got the menu and then hit play, then it was blank. I might not have give it enough time to play. I believe I gave it about 2 min., but I had friends over so I broke out the Panny BD to play it.

Since Iron Man won't be released until next week, you won't see much help here

When your disc freeze next time, try power off the player and power back on. See if it can play w/o problem. There is something about the power board on these players that are not designed or manufactured correctly. Sometimes, this power cycle procedure can clear up the things.
post #291 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkid4 View Post

Thats what mine did with iron Man.

I hate that noise as that's what my second 5K was doing with 50% of the discs I tried, eventually I just sent it in for servicing and never got that player back. Whenever I hear that noise with my current player, I just quickly eject it.

As Foxbat mentioned, many people don't have Ironman yet so you'll have to wait but there are reports already that people are having issues with certain Sony and Samsung players. I had the loading problem with The Forbidden Kingdom which required the use of my PS3.
post #292 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I will say it again...I am sooooooo glad I bailed out of this player. BD30 and A35 work perfectly!

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #293 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Oh please, a slight mention of a problem and you're back to complain about this player, having not owned it for many months. Troll somewhere else.

I am soooooo glad I kept this player, in spite of the few problems remaining.
post #294 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There was no noise while trying to load. When I insert the disc it starts to load while still showing the blue screen, then the screen turns black while still trying to load. I've let it run for over 5 minutes. At this time the drawer doesn't open to remove disc and I have to unplug and plug back in order to remove the disc. The front of the player says loading during all of this.

Edit- listen for the loading noises and there definetly is a clicking/grinding noise every few seconds. Called samsung and they said to send the unit in to them. Hopefully it can be fixed because I got a good deal on the player.
post #295 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

I hate that noise as that's what my second 5K was doing with 50% of the discs I tried, eventually I just sent it in for servicing and never got that player back. Whenever I hear that noise with my current player, I just quickly eject it.

As Foxbat mentioned, many people don't have Ironman yet so you'll have to wait but there are reports already that people are having issues with certain Sony and Samsung players. I had the loading problem with The Forbidden Kingdom which required the use of my PS3.

Ill check FK tomorrow to see if I have any issues. I have it, but like many discs I havent had a chance to watch it yet.
post #296 of 1308 Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Edit- listen for the loading noises and there definetly is a clicking/grinding noise every few seconds. Called samsung and they said to send the unit in to them. Hopefully it can be fixed because I got a good deal on the player.

I would be cautious about that. I had two 5Ks before and one of them really started to act up with BD playback. I went through at least a dozen titles where that loading issue with the mechanical noises would come up before I gave up since my other 5K loaded all of them just fine. I called Samsung and they told me to send it in. That was almost 2 months ago and they said they weren't going to repair my player and send me a BD-P1500 instead... which I have yet to receive. See if you can exchange the player from where you bought it from first before sending it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Ill check FK tomorrow to see if I have any issues. I have it, but like many discs I havent had a chance to watch it yet.

Cool. Hopefully yours will load up without any issues.

Same here, I have a ton of discs but usually we watch our new releases from Netflix first before digging into the general collection. But just popped in a rare HD DVD purchase I made recently, Rides Volume 2 and it played perfectly. Great looking HD DVD, now I'm on the hunt to find Vol 1 and 3 for a good price.
post #297 of 1308 Old 09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I had no problem with Forbidden Kingdom at all. I'm only disappointed at the movie itself. So, if it doesn't load, you didn't miss much

Here is the scope of Iron Man, it apears to have problem loading on Samsung players and a few other brands of players. As a result, all stores are notified to send the current stock back and hopefully the replacement will be in store on time for next week's release. For those of you received the early copy, you will have to get a replacement copy from where you bought it
post #298 of 1308 Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I had a repair ticket issued for my BD-UP5000 that would not play ANY BluRay after updating to 1.3 (though DVD and HD play fine). I let it expire as I was out of the country when I received the email shipping info. I had it reissued today and will be mailing it off tomorrow. I will be a little upset if they try to replace it with a BD-P1500. The lack of HD playback and HQV scaling make it an inferior player in comparison. A BD-UP2500/2550 would be equal in DVD scaling, advanced in BD playback, but still obviously lack HD playback requiring me to pull my A2 from the living room and be back at 2 players, the main reason I went to the BD-UP5000 in the first place.

post #299 of 1308 Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I had a repair ticket issued for my BD-UP5000 that would not play ANY BluRay after updating to 1.3 (though DVD and HD play fine). I let it expire as I was out of the country when I received the email shipping info. I had it reissued today and will be mailing it off tomorrow. I will be a little upset if they try to replace it with a BD-P1500. The lack of HD playback and HQV scaling make it an inferior player in comparison. A BD-UP2500/2550 would be equal in DVD scaling, advanced in BD playback, but still obviously lack HD playback requiring me to pull my A2 from the living room and be back at 2 players, the main reason I went to the BD-UP5000 in the first place.

I received your PM reply. This is the same problem that I have and I requested a repair ticket as well. Hopefully they can fix. I don't want a standalone player or I would purchased one from the start. If they can't fix the Blu-Ray problem with the UP5000, that doesn't give me great confidence in the BD-P1500.
post #300 of 1308 Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Given the fact that they don't currently have a duo player in their lineup, I can understand offering a BD only replacement if repair is impractical... but the BD-P1500 isn't even comparable as a BD and DVD only player. HQV is a major feature for DVD playback, especially on large (i.e. front-projection) screens. For this reason I will not accept a BD-P1500 as a replacement and will escalate as high as I have to (including help from the BBB) if they refuse to offer at least a BD-P2500/2550. Luckily I still have an A2 in the house... if I didn't, I would be pushing for Samsung to pick up the tab on an HD player as well, seeing as their replacement is lacking a major feature of the unit being replaced.

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page