BD-UP5000 problem discs - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1308 Old 10-21-2008, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
OK, so I finally watched the Pan's Labyrinth HD all the way through (bitstreamed DTS-MA)...the sound seems to have resolved from when I first tested the disc with the latest firmware months ago. I am considering removing it from the bug list due to other reports of sound resolution on subsequent playback. This player has enough repeatable, recurrent bugs already to not clutter it with such an anomaly.

Any objections?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1308 Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No objections here. I've played Pan's Labyrinth four or five times all the way through without any issues.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #363 of 1308 Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'd say it is random. Sometimes, I played it without issue. Sometime, it pops like crazy. It may also have to do with how your receiver handling the bitstream. If it buffers them properly, you may not hear pops.
post #364 of 1308 Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 AM

My player always freezes the text on the breadline scene in Pans Labyrinth, same place every time; movie just keeps playing along with the frozen text until I do a quick skip forward or back, than it play fine the rest of the movie. This quirk does not happen on my HD-A1 player.

Mike
post #365 of 1308 Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, if I see one more Pan's complaint about poppy audio, I might leave it. Otherwise, after my problem-free experience last night, I'm willing to let it go.

The Incredible Hulk seems to play just fine on the 5000.
post #366 of 1308 Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

I watched Deja Vu and didn't experience any playback problems whatsoever.

Format Neutral: Samsung BD-UP5000
HD DVDs: 41
Blu-rays: 24
post #367 of 1308 Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

could be down to a bad batch of discs.
post #368 of 1308 Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 PM

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue:

I have a 5000 with FW1.3.
My copy of Dead Space: Downfall locks up in the menu, about 25 seconds in, every time. This requires a reboot.

Also, when accessing the menu from within the movie, after about 25 seconds, the player locks up.

I can watch the film, without issue, if I access the "play movie" button quickly, but maneuvering for special features is next to impossible.
Anyone else, or do I have a faulty disc?

I may be the only 5000 user that buys this movie, so it may be a moot point. If you enjoy the game, or are thinking about picking it up, give Downfall a shot. It's entertaining and probably the goriest animated film ever made.

XBOX GT: Chaos in HD
post #369 of 1308 Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Netflix BD
Firmware 1.3

Will not play. Nothing, nada, kaput.
post #370 of 1308 Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 AM

I experienced serious audio static and popping on "Dark City (Director's Cut)" when using Bitstream (Audiophile) sending DTS-HD MA 7.1 stream to an H/K AVR 354 (over HDMI, obviously). Using any other audio mode worked fine, but I was limited to at most 5.1 audio, which was really upsetting. This exact same thing happened with "Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" (Also DTS-HD MA 7.1).

The effect was reproducible; after each setting change or device restart/reset, the same noise could be heard at the same time index, suggesting the problem exists in the actual audio stream, or that it at least *originates* there. (The actual problem could still be with either the player or the receiver, but it definitely has something to do with what is being read from the disc, and not something environmental.)

I didn't write down all of the specific audio effects, but I do remember a distinct pop at 0:00:51.

I think I've read somewhere on these forums about other similar issues, but does anyone have a specific, quantifiable explanation, and even better, a solution?

I'm Using:
Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Bitstream (Audiophile), HDMI to
H/K AVR 354 (0.46.3.1), HDMI to
Samsung LN-T4661F (1019/1009)
(all latest consumer-available firmware updates to all products have been applied.)
post #371 of 1308 Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBearsFTW View Post

My copy of Dead Space: Downfall locks up in the menu, about 25 seconds in, every time. This requires a reboot.

Also, when accessing the menu from within the movie, after about 25 seconds, the player locks up.

I can watch the film, without issue, if I access the "play movie" button quickly, but maneuvering for special features is next to impossible.

I may be the only 5000 user that buys this movie, so it may be a moot point. If you enjoy the game, or are thinking about picking it up, give Downfall a shot. It's entertaining and probably the goriest animated film ever made.

Same issue here, same firmware version.
post #372 of 1308 Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBearsFTW View Post

Sounds the similar issue to those Paramount BD releases in the summer, i.e. movie plays fine but accessing menu will frize the player. No solution so far.
post #373 of 1308 Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM

Will we never see a new version of firmware to solve these issues?

Dugger
post #374 of 1308 Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm beginning to wonder. I don't like dealing with customer service but it looks like I may have no choice.
post #375 of 1308 Old 10-30-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I'm beginning to wonder. I don't like dealing with customer service but it looks like I may have no choice.

If you have problems, and have a notion that Samsung Customer Service is the solution, then you are in for a WHOLE new set of problems.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #376 of 1308 Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Liked: 23
I love my BD-UP5000 BUT I, like so many others, feel that after Samsung dumped it on the market the company now cares little about supporting it -- or their customer base.

There are a number of Blu-ray released that simply won't work on the unit. This is understandable when the technology is still in the early stages. The problem is that 1) no firmware fixes since May and 2) 10th rate customer support by people who don't know their product line -- or what's wrong with it. Like others, here, I've had lame on-line chats with folks absolutely clueless about the BD-UP5000. One chat was a bit strange since the person from Samsung was making it seem like it was a user (my) issue and not the fault of their hardware.

After I and so many others have had NO useful information about what (if anything) is being done to fix issues I think it's time to bypass the folks who work for "client care". I was able, about a month ago, to get through to the engineering dept. at Samsung Canada (Canadian head office). The question I asked was "can a unit be repaired . . . the rumour I've heard is that it will only be replaced or money refunded". Their answer was quick and direct . . . "if you bring the unit to their repair dept. (head office) in Mississauga, ON the unit can be repaired. If a unit is taken for repair to other Samsung authorized repair depots the units may not be able to be repaired, and then only a replacement of a similar model would be offered". This is something I wanted to know BEFORE investing in a BD-UP5000. The question could only answered by someone who KNEW . . . and sadly, the folks at customer service have proved they don't know much. It certainly isn't their fault . . . they are working for a company that either doesn't offer suffient training or doesn't care to truly offer client support.

It was difficult to get through to the engineering dept. via phone since getting a LIVE person to answer at call at Samsung Canada is difficult. The woman at reception, when I got through, didn't want to let me reach the depts. that have the answers. They normally don't deal with the public.

I think those with real concerns need to call into the company and demand to talk to those who work in service, the engineering, etc. Heck, an email or call to the executive offices wouldn't hurt either. If anyone is interested, PM me and IF I can find the name and number of the person I talked to, I will offer it to you. I don't think those on the inside at Samsung have a clue about the many concerns we have when likely info. from "client care" doesn't reach them.

Call Samsung and demand better. Call their corporate offices -- and politely tell them what we all know ... support is sadly lacking. As someone posted in another thread, Toshiba is nicely supporting their dead-issue HD DVD players -- in fact, they just came out with new firmware for several of their players.

If I get any further information from a future phone conversation with Samsung Canada directly, I will post it here. I hope others have luck trying to reach Samsung by phone.

Ian
post #377 of 1308 Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 PM

Hi. I had a conversation Thursday morning with them (info below) and they were very easy to reach and they seem to know better then the ones on the chat link (http://pages.samsung.com/us/bluraysupport/support.html) Live Blu-ray Support. The one I spoke to knew a lot more then the chat guy but unfortunately could not give a date for next firmware on the 5k. There will be a firmware update on the 5k, but date unknown. It should address all the bugs so far and yes it appears the problem with 'For Your Eyes Only' shall be fixed as well (about the other 5 JB movies, no idea as they all play fine on my 5k.). Again by talking to the guy, I felt he was almost a tech. I take everything now with a 'grain of salt' from Samsung but this guy appeared genuine. We shall see. So again, the problem with the JB movie FYEO doesn't seem to be a defective batch of BD's... We also shall see about that. I had a conversation of about 10min. so I can't put everything we spoke about here. Anyways, that's it for me. Got to go to bed (work at 5am today...). Bonne nuit. (Good night).

''Jean-Yves: ok. you guys are in sales I believe. Do you have direct contact often with the people who work on these upgrades?
Nathan T: Sure, you can reach our tier-2 technical department at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) from 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST''.

Jean-Yves--HD DVD's: 17--BD's: 111--65vt25--bd-up5000--ps3
post #378 of 1308 Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your efforts, northern friends. I've found that sometimes an upper level tech will be more clued up than those in tier 1 (naturally) but not even that is full-proof. Contacting corporate is tricky but I suspect a properly directed phone call or well written letter would be more effective than emails or web forms.

Had another viewing of Pan's Labyrinth tonight and it was afflicted with nasty pops, restarted and there were less but still present sporadically...so it stays on the list. If anyone who has the Blu-ray wants to do a like trade, this is also something I may consider instead of waiting for Samsung's HD DVD fix.
post #379 of 1308 Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Response from Samsung as to why "Made of Honor" will not play:

"Thanks for writing. The movie will not play on your DVD player because the studio that released the DVD made changes to the recording format that rendered it unplayable. These problems have been correct by new firmware releases every time the studios have done this in the past, and you can reasonably expect firmware to be developed and releases that will correct this problem and all others that will occur because of future format changes."

Wonder if they really mean it?
post #380 of 1308 Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM

edit: wrong thread
post #381 of 1308 Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM

edit: wrong thread
post #382 of 1308 Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Rented You Don't Eff Wit the Zohan tonight. Bitstreaming TrueHD with firmware 1.4 yielded at least 10 audio dropouts and 2 instances where the sound devolved to white noise (rewinding a few seconds before the occurrence resolved it). It's such a crappy flick that I'm not sure it's worth complaining to Samsung about.
post #383 of 1308 Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Kung Fu Panda (with the presence of BD-Live, et al) played flawlessly bitstreamed to my Onkyo.
post #384 of 1308 Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hancock, loaded fine with perfect performance in the first 20 minutes (had to stop there).

Don't change a thing, Paramount/Sony.
post #385 of 1308 Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 AM

hi everyone. its my first post here. I found this thread/forum while google searching for complaints about the BD UP5000, which I have had multiple problems with.

I just fired off this email to Samsung using the terrible Contact Us section of their web page. does anyone know anything about forthcoming firmware updates or is this a dead player?

I wish to inquire/complain about firmware updates for the BD UP5000. The player has been far from the best quality since I bought it earlier this year, having technical glitches, lock ups and other problems in movie after movie.

I called your tech support recently and I was told that you were unaware of anything wrong with this model of player and no additional firmware updates would be coming for it.

2 discs (of many) I have recently had issue with are Love Guru and Doomsday. Doomsday was unwatchable as special features documentaries continuously kept popping up mid-film, and the menus in Love Guru only functioned for 10 seconds before the player locked up, so I only had that amount of time to select Play, before the system would become non-functional.

These are only 2 examples of continuous problems with this player.

here is a link to a 23 page forum post where people are discussing their problems with the BD UP 5000

(url)

I would like to know if you have dropped support completely for this player or if firmware updates to fix the many many issues are forthcoming? thank you.

I just read your post, jylavmtlcda. thanks for the info. hopefully by mid 2009 they will get off their butts and give us an update. as soon as I hear anything back from them I'll post here.

-HD DVD to Blu Ray Ratio:
100:1
post #386 of 1308 Old 11-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootie. View Post

hi everyone. its my first post here. I found this thread/forum while google searching for complaints about the BD UP5000, which I have had multiple problems with.

I just fired off this email to Samsung using the terrible Contact Us section of their web page. does anyone know anything about forthcoming firmware updates or is this a dead player?

I wish to inquire/complain about firmware updates for the BD UP5000. The player has been far from the best quality since I bought it earlier this year, having technical glitches, lock ups and other problems in movie after movie.

I called your tech support recently and I was told that you were unaware of anything wrong with this model of player and no additional firmware updates would be coming for it.

2 discs (of many) I have recently had issue with are Love Guru and Doomsday. Doomsday was unwatchable as special features documentaries continuously kept popping up mid-film, and the menus in Love Guru only functioned for 10 seconds before the player locked up, so I only had that amount of time to select Play, before the system would become non-functional.

These are only 2 examples of continuous problems with this player.

here is a link to a 23 page forum post where people are discussing their problems with the BD UP 5000

(url)

I would like to know if you have dropped support completely for this player or if firmware updates to fix the many many issues are forthcoming? thank you.

I just read your post, jylavmtlcda. thanks for the info. hopefully by mid 2009 they will get off their butts and give us an update. as soon as I hear anything back from them I'll post here.

Hi, Hootie. Here's the link for the firmware updates list for Samsung BD Players:

http://pages.samsung.com/us/bluraysupport/support.html

They just issued a firmware update 1.4 on Nov 6th 2008 fixing some problems with discs playback (Paramount films issued July 29th...Top Gun, etc. and James Bond BD 'For your Eyes Only'). I don't have the two discs you have problem with 'Love Guru' and 'Doomsday' so can't say anything about these.
As for Samsung not issuing anymore firmware updates, I don't think its true as they once told me they would issue updates as long as new BD's would give trouble playing, etc. Its just that it takes them a long time to issue these firmware updates, like one every 5-6months. They told me they want to bundle the fixes all together instead of issuing updates like once every month... They sure have a (very) long list of bugs/issues with this bd-up5000. Not sure if they can all fix them or if they really want to... There are experts here on these forums, they can for sure help you or answer you better. Take care.

post #387 of 1308 Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I should also add that the last time I checked finding the 5K on the Samsung site was still fairly "easy", it should be under Bluray......

As far as Doomsday goes VInnie reported flawless playback here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14579896

What it sounds like to me is that you had the 1.1 features "popping" up as they are designed to do, its not really a fault of the player, but rather you need to make sure you turn this feature off in the Disc Selection.

As far as the Love Guru, I believe you are the first report of any issues, you always want to make sure it isnt the disc you have, since the player may be fine and you just caught 2 bad discs.

Make sure you have updated to the latest firmware, without updating it makes it that much harder to determine if the problem is disc or player related (in this case though it seems like disc\\user education type issue.)
post #388 of 1308 Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 PM

I just tried to update the firmware via network cable a day or 2 ago and the player told me that it had the latest firmware... but it has the old version that was released around March 08. I'll try the update again, or else download and burn it.

The problem with Doomsday definitely wasn't that a menu option was turned on. The first thing that I thought of when the issue started was that U Control was on, but that wasnt it. I found the selection in the menu to turn off the pop ups, selected Turn Off, returned to the film, and the pop up documentaries still continued to come up and play throughout the film. I tried half a dozen other things in the menus and on the remote, but the best I could do was to turn the audio off for the pop ups.

I don't know if it was my particular disc of Love Guru that had an issue or not. Once I realized that the player locked up about 10 seconds into the menu, I just rebooted everything and hit Play as soon as the menu came up. The movie played fine all the way through and once the film was over and it returned to the main menu, it locked up again making it impossible for us to watch the special features.

-HD DVD to Blu Ray Ratio:
100:1
post #389 of 1308 Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have to revise my comment about Hancock above. I watched (or tried to watch) Hancock unrated version (I assume these discs with the dual versions use seamless branching) and the experience was not too dissimilar from the Zohan experience. Bitstreaming TrueHD (to an Onkyo 605) resulted in dropouts seemingly around various chapter changes and a few instances where the entire soundtrack devolved into ear-piercing white noise, only fixed by loading the full-screen menu and then resuming the movie from there. I'll be letting Samsung know about this tomorrow...but of course there won't likely be another firmware fix until May 2009 at the earliest. :| If only I didn't have all these HD DVD exclusives, I might pawn off all 3 of my combos. This does not bode well for an uninterrupted movie experience with Sony titles in general. Le sigh.

Paramount (don't change a thing!), Universal (you neither!), Disney, Fox, Lionsgate and Warner/New Line...hold me!
post #390 of 1308 Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 AM

At present I believe firmware update 1.4 isnt available via ethernet. Use the CD-R / CD-RW procedure to update it. When you have 1.4 installed, then you can report bugs/problems with your discs like Doomsday or Love Guru.
Its no use reporting difficulties if you havent got the latest firmware.
Take care.

Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page