BD-UP5000 problem discs - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1308 Old 09-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems 90% of the problems this machine has is defective Loaders, I have one that motor will no longer spin up (no disc error), One that will fail on every HD DVD & last one that will fail on every BluRay disc. Seems laser failure,
I'm going to see if I can cannibalize them and make one good one..... We see. But in the end horrible quality control on these drives.
Funny in the end that my BH200 is now a 2.0 player and still plays 99% of all discs. (a lot quieter also) All that noise that sammy makes deciding what disc is in it makes you wonder if it helps the drives to fail ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1308 Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 AM

I tired to play Wanted last night (usnig FW v1.4) and after I figured out how to stop Bonusview from coming up the disc just kept halting and would really play.

I saw some other discussion of this disc earlier but seemed like the problems were minor audio drop outs.

I was using bitstream audiophile.

Anyone else having problems with Wanted?
post #723 of 1308 Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTX View Post

I've had my first problem playing a disc in a very long time. "Mutant Chronicles" from Netflix will not play. The previews play fine, but when it starts to load the menu it hangs and menu will not load. I'm using 1.4 firmware.

Same for me with 1.4--first problem in a very long time. Had a bunch of teenage boys waiting to watch it. Thank goodness for the HTPC and Netflix streaming.
post #724 of 1308 Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 AM

I am not sure if my player is starting to have problems or it is the discs. I just got the complete Star Trek The Next Generation box set of films. Every disc begins to freeze and stutter after about an hour or so.

I thought it was the disc and was going to exchange them but then my wife tried to watch Lonesome Dove on BD and it was having the same problem. I put in The Dark Night as a check and it seemed to work fine.

Any thoughts.
post #725 of 1308 Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrick View Post

I am not sure if my player is starting to have problems or it is the discs. I just got the complete Star Trek The Next Generation box set of films. Every disc begins to freeze and stutter after about an hour or so.

I thought it was the disc and was going to exchange them but then my wife tried to watch Lonesome Dove on BD and it was having the same problem. I put in The Dark Night as a check and it seemed to work fine.

Any thoughts.

I've been having the same problem on many Blu-ray discs for a while. It seems to start happening during the layer change. It got so bad that I went and bought a Sony BDP-S550.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #726 of 1308 Old 10-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that is not the news I wanted to hear. I have only had y BD-UP5000 for 16 months and was not planning on replacing a $500 player so soon.
post #727 of 1308 Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 PM

Star Trek: TOS S. 1 Remastered box set. Disc 9 takes about 10 tries to load if it loads at all. No scuffs or marks on the disc, but it is essentially unplayable. Anyone else have trouble with this one?

Prof. Bergman, Moonbase Alpha
post #728 of 1308 Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Interesting... I just had a similar issue with disc 1 in my Star Trek Season 1 remastered.

I had played a couple of episodes when I first got the set months back... but the other day was testing random discs with 7.1 audio to test out my new audio receiver... and the first time I put in disc 1 I got one of those hexadecimal error popups... took it out and put it back and had no further problems.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #729 of 1308 Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM

I've had this player since it was released and somehow managed to never have a disc that wouldn't play.. until now. The new BD release of the movie "Hardware" gets stuck. It plays a 30 second non-skippable intro video and then just hangs. The display on the player keeps switching from 1:00 to 0:00 and my receiver shows the audio modes being cycled between Dolby Surround and DTS over and over and over.

-edit-
Nevermind. Updated to the 1.4 firmware and now it works. What I thought was an intro video turned out to be just the video that plays in the background when the menu is up. After updating I now get the menu overlay and can play the movie.
post #730 of 1308 Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Two recent issues...

The new Star Trek Blu -> Temporary video freeze very early in the movie ~ 5 minutes or so in I think.

Disney's Up -> Several instances of 1-second audio blip/loss not shown on my audio receiver, so must have originated from the bitstream from the player.

post #731 of 1308 Old 11-22-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Star Trek played without a glitch on mine. :O
post #732 of 1308 Old 11-22-2009, 04:29 PM

I am running 1.4 and ran the first 20 minutes twice and the rest of Star Trek once and had no problems.
post #733 of 1308 Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Suppose it could be a bad disc (Star Trek). I took the disc out and looked at it and it looked ok... it only froze at one place in the movie, and always froze there...

Any thoughts on "Up" The dropped audio happened at various times during the movie, and even happened on some of the bonus features too. This seemed like the glitch I've heard others talk about with other movies, but this is the first time I've seen (heard) it.

post #734 of 1308 Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Regarding the movie "UP" I didn't notice the audio drop outs but I did have a freeze up at approximately 50 Minutes. Pausing and stopping and starting did not help. I had to power down and power up to get it to play properly. Any word on the new firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Suppose it could be a bad disc (Star Trek). I took the disc out and looked at it and it looked ok... it only froze at one place in the movie, and always froze there...

Any thoughts on "Up" The dropped audio happened at various times during the movie, and even happened on some of the bonus features too. This seemed like the glitch I've heard others talk about with other movies, but this is the first time I've seen (heard) it.

post #735 of 1308 Old 11-23-2009, 02:36 PM

I too have v1.4 firmware and the new Star Trek movie froze for me late in the movie...the Pirates movies also do this. I can get by it but the process is shutdown the player and restart...then choose the right chapter and FF to a point beyond the freeze point and hit play. When watching with the wife this stinks....on Friday night I got "does this mean we are done now?" Of course it is right in the climax of the movie too.

HD-DVD - 15
BluRay - 30

There was a format war...Best Buy won, I lost.
post #736 of 1308 Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm.nofun@liv View Post

I just played my HD-DVD disc of "Atonement", which I hadn't played since it was released. It played normally then, but now the DD+ English 5.1 audio is completely missing(!). The French audio and commentary are there, but there's no main audio track, not even through the analog outs. Anybody else notice this? Is this maybe a 1.4 thing? Switching to Re-encode or PCM works, though.

I'm having this problem as well. Anyone able to play the main english DD+ using audiophile on this disc with 1.4?
post #737 of 1308 Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

interesting that no one's caught these Deja Vu problems before. When I tried replicating, there was no skip, pause or even audio dropout...just an audible "click" in the exact place where the player stuttered on the initial run.

I ran into this a few weeks ago when I purchased a used copy of Deja Vu. Wish I realized that folks were posting these things here and I would not have worried as much. Someone mentioned that this might be a bad batch of discs, but there are more reports of a problem than no problem. Might be that different audio settings give different results. I use bitstream audiophile through HDMI.
post #738 of 1308 Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, you just found this thread? ;P I have kind've given up on updating because people stopped reporting and this is no longer my primary player.

Deja Vu was a rental (on my part) so could have very well been a part of a bad batch.
post #739 of 1308 Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ93rx7 View Post

Regarding the movie "UP" I didn't notice the audio drop outs but I did have a freeze up at approximately 50 Minutes. Pausing and stopping and starting did not help. I had to power down and power up to get it to play properly. Any word on the new firmware?

No problem whatsoever with UP and 1.3 firmware...

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #740 of 1308 Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm.nofun@liv View Post

I just played my HD-DVD disc of "Atonement", which I hadn't played since it was released. It played normally then, but now the DD+ English 5.1 audio is completely missing(!). The French audio and commentary are there, but there's no main audio track, not even through the analog outs. Anybody else notice this? Is this maybe a 1.4 thing? Switching to Re-encode or PCM works, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I'm having this problem as well. Anyone able to play the main english DD+ using audiophile on this disc with 1.4?

Saw the messages, so pulled out my copy. It is playing fine. Shows as DD+ 5.1 on the display. And I am using Bitstream (Audiophile) to HDMI.

Rick
post #741 of 1308 Old 12-23-2009, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

District 9 is a bit rough...menu navigation is intermittently quite slow and delayed in response (as much as 5-10 seconds for submenus to load/to navigate to other menu items). The movie fortunately played flawlessly.
post #742 of 1308 Old 12-23-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick View Post

Saw the messages, so pulled out my copy. It is playing fine. Shows as DD+ 5.1 on the display. And I am using Bitstream (Audiophile) to HDMI.

Rick

May I ask what receiver you are running. I'm running a Denon. If the OP is still out there, what are you running?
post #743 of 1308 Old 12-23-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

District 9 is a bit rough...menu navigation is intermittently quite slow and delayed in response (as much as 5-10 seconds for submenus to load/to navigate to other menu items). The movie fortunately played flawlessly.

That is too bad, it is a cool movie.

This does not sound like good news for newer Sony titles. If you recall Ghostbusters has problems as well and I ran into some slowness with Men In Black. I'm suspecting that Sony has updated their Java and it is going to cause some problems if Sammy does not update firmware.

Here are all the recent Sony releases from November and December. I'm curious if anyone has had menu slowness with them. Fortunately there is not much here that I care about, except for: Taking...123, Leon and Angles and Demons and of course District 9. I forgot that Taking...123 and Leon were out. Will have to look for those in the used bins after Christmas and the 1st of the year.
The Ugly Truth
The Taking of Pelham 123
Godzilla (1998)
Leon: The Professional
Sex Lies and Videotape
Angles and Demons
Snatch
The Mask of Zoro
Julie and Julia
AC/DC: No Bull (Sony Music)
It Might Get Loud (same date as District 9 - Yesterday)
post #744 of 1308 Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

That is too bad, it is a cool movie.

This does not sound like good news for newer Sony titles. If you recall Ghostbusters has problems as well and I ran into some slowness with Men In Black. I'm suspecting that Sony has updated their Java and it is going to cause some problems if Sammy does not update firmware.

Here are all the recent Sony releases from November and December. I'm curious if anyone has had menu slowness with them. Fortunately there is not much here that I care about, except for: Taking...123, Leon and Angles and Demons and of course District 9. I forgot that Taking...123 and Leon were out. Will have to look for those in the used bins after Christmas and the 1st of the year.
The Ugly Truth
The Taking of Pelham 123
Godzilla (1998)
Leon: The Professional
Sex Lies and Videotape
Angles and Demons
Snatch
The Mask of Zoro
Julie and Julia
AC/DC: No Bull (Sony Music)
It Might Get Loud (same date as District 9 - Yesterday)

Out of your list, the only one I played was Pelham 1-2-3, but I don't remember any delays/slowness with the menus. Seemed normal to me.
post #745 of 1308 Old 01-02-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I noticed some audio drop outs with Up. It wasn't too terrible but noticeable.

I did notice a problem with Beowulf on HD DVD when outputting 24fps. At 60fps it plays fine. At 24 fps it seems to skip or drop frames every few seconds or so. It is that a known issue with Beowulf? I also had a problem with the Eagles Farewell Tour HD DVD using 24fps.

I'm using firmware 1.4, BTW.
post #746 of 1308 Old 01-02-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

^
Quote:

01) various (paramount/dreamworks hd dvd) : Upper screen flickering in 24fps mode on certain avc/h.264 titles, more severe than in firmware revision 1.3 (see working list here) *regression*

post #747 of 1308 Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^

I read the list but the Eagles disc wasn't mentioned as a problem with 24fps. It is listed as having audio drop outs but I've never noticed that problem. It is a live concert so I assume it is encoded at 60fps(video). Then again the Dave Matthews Tim Reynold BR is a live convert and that is 24fps. I couldn't find the specs on the Eagles disc. High def digest just says 1080p.
post #748 of 1308 Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I was only responding to the Beowulf complaint. Rhino Home Entertainment is the studio for the Eagles disc...there are not enough from that studio to make a judgment either way: http://hddvdstats.com/ - it's listed as a VC-1 encoding whilst the Paramount/Dreamworks are AVC, so this could be another bug.
post #749 of 1308 Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 PM

This is my first problem disc in a long time. Has anyone else had a problem loading Public Enemies (Blu-ray)? Loads fine on my Samsung 1200, but not on the 5000.

Rick
post #750 of 1308 Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was only responding to the Beowulf complaint. Rhino Home Entertainment is the studio for the Eagles disc...there are not enough from that studio to make a judgment either way: http://hddvdstats.com/ - it's listed as a VC-1 encoding whilst the Paramount/Dreamworks are AVC, so this could be another bug.

Thanks Vinnie.

The Eagles disc is definately a problem with 24 fps. I haven't seen anyone else post about it but I would appreciate it if someone else could verify it. It plays fine at 60fps as expected.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page