BD-UP5000 problem discs - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1308 Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am having issues with Toy Story 1. I am running 1.3 firmware - when I install 1.4 every BD I play freezes. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1308 Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

I am having issues with Toy Story 1. I am running 1.3 firmware - when I install 1.4 every BD I play freezes. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have not tried Toy Story 1, but I do have the same issue of my 5k freezing up when I load it with 1.4. After trying every form of installation possible, and on more than one occasion for each, I have given up on moving to 1.4.

I only have 5 HD movies now after replacing the others I had with their BD version. I have relegated the 5k I have to my exercise room.

I had such high hopes for this player when I first got it. Have turned to an Oppo for my BD movie viewing.
post #783 of 1308 Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Haven't tried my Toy Story movies yet... but I've been running 1.4 for a while now without problems on any other movies.

I'll update once I've tried at least the first movie.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #784 of 1308 Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Methinks you have a defective player if 1.4 will only cause BD discs to freeze. I haven't tried the Toy Stories yet but I'll give it a go and report back as well.
post #785 of 1308 Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

I just watched Toy Story 1 tonight without any problems. As I noted earlier, I am running 1.4 firmware though and haven't had any issues lately except some audio glitching a little during "UP"... and the problem a lot of folks have with "Akira" starting where you have to monkey around a little to get to the system menu.

post #786 of 1308 Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Liked: 10
Yeah, I tried to play TS1 last night and it didn't work. TS2 played fine. I will try playing it again and see what happens. Sometimes a disc won't play, but when I try it a day or two later it works fine.

Has anyone had trouble with Sherlock Holmes? It played, but it would jump around or like or skip like 3 secs on it's own. Disc is brand new.

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
post #787 of 1308 Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

For all 2 of you who still have this player, I checked Sherlock Holmes. I noticed that on chapter change, it skips 1 or 2 frames. Minor but noticeable and I'm glad this is no longer my primary player.

EDIT: This may be related to the disc, as the skip only occurred near the beginning of chapter 3. In addition, it behaved the same way when played back on the LG BH200. The only problem I can see on the 5000 is the lack of visibility of the image on the menu screen, though the menu selections are visible and selectable fortunately (this is the first Warner title I've had that doesn't start movie playback automatically).
post #788 of 1308 Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Be prepared for possible issues with the soon-to-be released "Avatar". A friend of mine was able to obtain his copy prior to street date (he works at a video store), and it comes up with the message indicating that the player needs to be upgraded in order to play the movie.

I have yet to confirm the possibility that the message is the very same warning that we see on so many other titles and that he may have jumped the gun (waiting for a few minutes may allow the player to get beyond this), however he has had is 5000 for about two years now and I assume he would know this.

In addition to Avatar allegedly not playing back on his 5K, he is unable to view "Public Enemies". Public Enemies just goes to a black screen - no error - nothing.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Also is there anyone else out there with an advance copy of Avatar who may be able to confirm what my friend is seeing?

Thanks

Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #789 of 1308 Old 04-18-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you know if your friend is running the 1.4 firmware? IF not, then all bets are off.

post #790 of 1308 Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Do you know if your friend is running the 1.4 firmware? IF not, then all bets are off.

My buddy is running 1.4. He doesn't have broadband and so relies on me for updates. ...I feel somewhat responsible as I had talked him into a 5K after I had purchased mine. I have since sold off my 5K in favor of a 3600, so I feel obliged to help him. ...he is also my source for PRP movies so...

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #791 of 1308 Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have Public Enemies.. and wasn't planning on buying Avatar when it first comes out... but I actually haven't ever had any problems like you describe. Is it possible he has one of those players that had problems originally playing FOX movies and got the red-screen-of-death?

I never had that problem with mine... but I wonder if folks who did might not have been completely fixed.

post #792 of 1308 Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I don't have Public Enemies.. and wasn't planning on buying Avatar when it first comes out... but I actually haven't ever had any problems like you describe. Is it possible he has one of those players that had problems originally playing FOX movies and got the red-screen-of-death?

I never had that problem with mine... but I wonder if folks who did might not have been completely fixed.

I believe we can ignore the issue that I had mentioned pertaining to Public Enemies. I received a text indicating that he reset his player to defaults and he can now play Public Enemies.

Avatar is altogether different. I believe that he still has issues but will confirm it.

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #793 of 1308 Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Public Enemies is all good, however it is confirmed that Avatar comes up with a red screen and a message.

The red screen is not the Fox "Red Screen of Death". My friend has many Fox titles and has never had the issue. He is also able to play everything (including Public Enemies) without issue. He works part time at video store chain, so believe me - he watches a lot of movies (the same Avatar disc plays without issue on a PS3 that they use for playback within the store)!

The red screen message reads exactly as follows;
Quote:

"Warning your Blu-ray player requires an upgrade to play this disc. Please visit your player manufacturer's web site and follow their instructions to update this player. For additional information on blu-ray player updates please visit the blue-ray update website at http://blu-raydisc.com/forbestresults"

I have yet to see a review of the Blu-ray release of Avatar on either The Digital Bits or Blu-ray.com. I expect that if this holds true - many of you who still own Samsung's BD-UP5000 may have the same experience. If you do, be sure to let Samsung know about this and pressure them for an update to their firmware.

I am anxiously hoping that it will play in my 3600 when I receive it on Tuesday.

Regards,

Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #794 of 1308 Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

Be prepared for possible issues with the soon-to-be released "Avatar". A friend of mine was able to obtain his copy prior to street date (he works at a video store), and it comes up with the message indicating that the player needs to be upgraded in order to play the movie.

I have yet to confirm the possibility that the message is the very same warning that we see on so many other titles and that he may have jumped the gun (waiting for a few minutes may allow the player to get beyond this), however he has had is 5000 for about two years now and I assume he would know this.

Damn it all...

So what does this mean? That everyone whose blu-ray players no longer receive firmware upgrades have to run out and buy new players because Fox decided to change the DRM?

Click here for my home theater setup
post #795 of 1308 Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

For all 2 of you who still have this player, I checked Sherlock Holmes. I noticed that on chapter change, it skips 1 or 2 frames. Minor but noticeable and I'm glad this is no longer my primary player.

EDIT: This may be related to the disc, as the skip only occurred near the beginning of chapter 3. In addition, it behaved the same way when played back on the LG BH200. The only problem I can see on the 5000 is the lack of visibility of the image on the menu screen, though the menu selections are visible and selectable fortunately (this is the first Warner title I've had that doesn't start movie playback automatically).

I experienced the same thing with my BD-UP5000 on Sherlock Holmes, as well as Terminator: Salvation (another Warner Brothers release). Both discs were from Blockbuster and were the grey "Rental" editions that they get in special. Are you firmware 1.3 or 1.4? I never bothered to upgrade to 1.4.

post #796 of 1308 Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Damn it all...

So what does this mean? That everyone whose blu-ray players no longer receive firmware upgrades have to run out and buy new players because Fox decided to change the DRM?

Right now, it only means that one person's 5K will not play a BD rental copy of Avatar. It gives him a red screen and a message that the movie will not play and that his 5K (running FW v1.04) requires an update in order to play it.

Other than that - it is entirely possible that other 5K owners will see something similar. If they do, they should be prepared to make themselves known to Samsung. The most recent firmware update for the 5K dates back to well over a year ago. While I believe that they have an obligation to ensure continued functionality of their product (even after it is no longer in production and out of warranty), their lack of regular updates may be of concern.

Right now there is the slimmest of chances that the rental copy is in some way different than a retail copy of Avatar, however he is not holding his breath.

5K owners will know for sure on Tuesday, when they give retail copies a spin for the first time.

I hope you all fare better than my friend - he is beyond angry that his 5K will not play Avatar.

Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #797 of 1308 Old 04-19-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I experienced the same thing with my BD-UP5000 on Sherlock Holmes, as well as Terminator: Salvation (another Warner Brothers release). Both discs were from Blockbuster and were the grey "Rental" editions that they get in special. Are you firmware 1.3 or 1.4? I never bothered to upgrade to 1.4.

Interesting.. I own Terminator Salvation and it played for me with no problems... so I suppose it is possible the rentals are different.

Still, that poses the same problem as I believe rental copies should play too.

As I've long said... It's one thing if Samsung doesn't add new features for us... but if standard non-3D Blu rays stop playing because of encryption changes... they are going to get major backlash.

No one should have to go buy a new player just because of encryption changes... and any company that would leave "old" customers hanging can be assured they will get less new customers the next go around.

We'll have to wait and see what happens when the release day hits this week.

post #798 of 1308 Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Spanbauer, I've been using revision 1.4 since released. I don't remember seeing the menu anomaly in Terminator: Salvation (if that's what you're asking).
post #799 of 1308 Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Spanbauer, I've been using revision 1.4 since released. I don't remember seeing the menu anomaly in Terminator: Salvation (if that's what you're asking).

No, not the menu thing. I'm referring to the picture skipping or freezing for a second occasionally throughout the film, presumably near the chapter points, while the audio continues without a hiccup. I found an owner of a Samsung BD-P1600 who was experiencing the same thing, so it must be a Samsung thing not specific to the BD-UP5000.

post #800 of 1308 Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, not Samsung-specific, as it also exhibited on the LG BH200. Maybe Broadcom specific?

I need to retry it on the Oppo to see if I observe the same thing. May be an authoring anomaly on some Warner discs.

Okay, I didn't see this frame skip on Sherlock on Oppo BDP-83 playback at the location it manifested on the BD-UP5000 and BH200.
post #801 of 1308 Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a bit more on Avatar - I know that Avatar has it's own "Problems" thread, but thought I might catch more 5K owners here. I hope that if anyone experiences a similar issue will contact Samsung post haste and let their voices be heard.

Here is the latest from my friend with the BD-UP5000

Note - this was his second contact with Samsung regarding the issue. His first attempt resulted in Samsung suggesting that he perform a reset, and re-apply the v1.04 firmware. He did, and of course the issue remained unchanged.

Quote:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Pamela'

Visitor: Hi. I was wondering when a firmware update will be avaial for my Blu-ray player Bd-UP5000. I have the current release but yet Avatar says I need an update to play movie.
Pamela: What is the firmware version on your player?
Visitor: Version 1.4, which is the latest on your download center for my player.
Pamela: Yes it is the latest firmware version on your player
Visitor: Does that mean one is not in the works adn any other 20th Century movie I can't watch??
Pamela: Just to confirm, all the other discs works fine with no issues on your player?
Visitor: Correct, this is the first time I have ever encountered a red screen after loading saying that my player needs an update adn to check manufacter's website. I have been extremely please with thsi player until that night. ;-)
Pamela: I apologize for the inconvenience. It appears to be a firmware issue, we had similar issue and we forwarded the issue to product support department. New firmware will be releases as soon as possible.

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #802 of 1308 Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully they really will issue firmware as soon as possible. Maybe there aren't a lot of us out there with this player... but it does no company good if they can't keep their customers happy and IF this is definitely a player problem and not a bad-pressing of the movie itself.

post #803 of 1308 Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Best bet to get the firmware process moving is for those interested to enter into a live chat to point out the conflict with avatar.
post #804 of 1308 Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post

Best bet to get the firmware process moving is for those interested to enter into a live chat to point out the conflict with avatar.

I took the liberty of doing that today. Specifically, I asked when I could expect a firmware update for the BD-UP5000 that would allow it to play the Avatar blu-ray. They of course didn't have an answer for me, but promised to pass my concern along to the powers that be. I'd suggest everyone else take a few minutes to do the same.

post #805 of 1308 Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

Here is a bit more on Avatar - I know that Avatar has it's own "Problems" thread, but thought I might catch more 5K owners here. I hope that if anyone experiences a similar issue will contact Samsung post haste and let their voices be heard.

Hi,

I just wanted to post in the thread to let you know that your friend it's not the only person which has this problem with Avatar's BD.

In my case, spanish version of the movie (it's a 20th Century Fox BD too) and BD-UP5000 with 1.4 firmware.

Had no problems with the player since I've imported it two years ago (I'm a spanish owner ).

I hope that Samsung can take care of us and fix the problem soon.

Regards
post #806 of 1308 Old 04-22-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for chiming in, viericrespo. It'd be awsome if you could take a few minutes to contact Samsung and let your voice be heard.

post #807 of 1308 Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I don't care about this flick (and this player is not my primary or even secondary), so I'm not interested in joining the fight (however, it might be in my best interest in terms of resell value ).
post #808 of 1308 Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Text of my live chat:

Patrick S: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?

Visitor: Hi there. I have a BD-Up5000 blu ray player. I have the current firmware installed (1.4). I am trying to watch the movie Avatar and it is telling me that I need updated firmware to do so. The player works with all other discs.

Patrick S: Please give me few minutes while I gather the information.

Visitor: No problem.

Patrick S: Thank you.

Patrick S: Thank you for holding.

Patrick S: Please once again upgrade the firmware on your player.

Visitor: Why? Again, I have the most current version available on your website (v. 1.4) and I have never had a problem before the Avatar disc today. Sounds like you guys need to issue new firmware to address problems with Avatar's copy protection scheme.

Patrick S: At present, we have the latest(1.4) version available for this player.

Patrick S: We do not have any further upgrade version available.

Patrick S: I will escalate the issue to level 2 and the concern department to resolve the issue.

Visitor: Are you saying that Samsung has no plans to issue further updates for this model? If so, what I am supposed to do with an $800 player that is less than two years old?

Patrick S: I apologize for the inconvenience.

Patrick S: As of now we did not get any reported issues from the customers with the firmware(1.4 version).

Patrick S: As the technology is increasing, everyone is trying to develop and release the disc using different format and techniques which is causing the playback compatibility issues and to overcome this problem firmware's are released to fix the compatibility issues.

Visitor: Yes, I understand the reason for firmware updates. What I am asking is whether there is going to be one to address this issue? Just ran a quick google search and it appears that this issue has already been reported to Samsung (see here for examples: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...007434&page=27)

Patrick S: Avatar is the latest movie which has some compatibility issues with the Blu-ray player. Our research team is working on the issue.

Visitor: Ok. So there is going to be a firmware update to address this issue, correct?

Patrick S: Yes.

Visitor: Any idea of when?

Patrick S: Once the latest firmware is available, this issue will be resolved.

Patrick S: We don't have exact time frame when it is going to be released.

Patrick S: We are from Samsung technical support, we do not have information about the research and development issues.

Visitor: OK. So I guess I'll sit tight for a couple of weeks. Thanks.
post #809 of 1308 Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Well mine doesn't work with avatar either. cuss! i'm going to samsung's website!

2011 Buick Regal turbo owner
post #810 of 1308 Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 PM

I have never had problems with this player until I rented Avatar this evening and got the same red warning as reported. I updated this player over a year ago and tried downloading the 1.4 update tonight on Samsungs home site and instead of being able to update it just says page not found. Unbelievable! I do not appreciate this when this is such an expensive play toy....Samsung give me my six bucks back for renting a movie I cant even watch.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page