post #1261 of 1308 Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckee1
I popped Harry Potter in this morning and it plays fine. I got maybe an hour in and no problems to speak of.
Did you get to or past chapter 17?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1308 Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson

Great. Just bought these today. Thankfully, I picked up the combo packs. Maybe I will just throw in the DVD's.
BD combo packs at $20+ each and can't play the HD version. Free rentals at redbox with promo codes for same. Priceless
post #1263 of 1308 Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in its entirety last night with no issue.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #1264 of 1308 Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckee1 View Post

I popped Harry Potter in this morning and it plays fine. I got maybe an hour in and no problems to speak of.

That's about where I started having issues...in chpt 15 when they are standing on the rocky craig...started breaking up then froze...
post #1265 of 1308 Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumsp View Post
That's about where I started having issues...in chpt 15 when they are standing on the rocky craig...started breaking up then froze...
This isn't the 1st time that someone has had issues with a HP BD. I recall maybe last year sometime after the release of 1.6 or possibly before someone saying that their HP disc (can't remember what movie) did that same thing. I wonder if WB/HP titles have a hard to navigate layer change that trips up some 5ks? I rented same title from BB and had no issues. Most of my HPs are HDs and I only have the later ones on BD. Perhaps a good laser cleaning might clear this up? Also on occasion I have ran into a brand new BD that is just too shinny and new and they play a little better after a light cleaning and polish. Some I have ran into a slight film from the manufacturing process that escapes QC at the factory and a light buffing helps those as well.
post #1266 of 1308 Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozbyrt View Post

I plan on watching it this morning. Will let you what I experience. I'm trying Voyage of the Dawn Treader and it eventually plays the previews or trailers but when it gets to the menu the display is black and the word menu is displayed on the 5K. I've left it there for about 10 minutes now and no go.

The new narnia played for me just fine. It may appear to get stuck on the update notice screen. Just chapter skip through that. It loads very slowly if you don't and acts like other recent major fox releases since avatar. It may also appear to get stuck while loading the menu, but eventually runs. I have found it best to hit chapter skip after it seeks and reads over and over few times at the upgrade warning. If you let it sit too long it might get stuck more later. I have not let it sit to see how long it goes before moving on. You can also hit stop at a bunch of points and then hit disc menu. If you do you will see the fox icon loading idler that does not come up when loading it normally, which it why I think it appears to get stuck at a few points. I have played maybe 50 min. of it so far before I fell asleep late last night. I was going to wait to rent this from redbox for free, but since no one has reported success yet I thought I should try it and get it reported if it would not play. I will report the slow loading and getting stuck to samsung just to make me feel better, not that they will do anything about it.

I rented this from bb and will probably not buy it until I can find it used for cheep. The movie so far is actually better than the others. I did not bother to see this one when it first came out. I did see the others and bought the bds shortly after release, but that was when they were Disney and there were decent week of release coupons out. I'm sure there will be plenty of walmart exclusive single disc versions listed at some point for under $10.
post #1267 of 1308 Old 04-24-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: when I went back to resume Narnia I let it chunk along after the update warning. It chugs and chokes for a minute or two then continues on. I still suggest chapter skipping through that to save your loader a bunch of wear and tear it does not need to endure. Seems like some other recent Fox titles do this under 1.6 as well; Ice Age 3, Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang, The Illusionist or was it High Anxiety? Anyhow, those were no where as bad as this one. Bear in mind that this is the BB BD rental exclusive with a funky UPC that does not match up with the releases online. I'm sure it is the same content as the single disc WalMart and the BD disc in the multi-pack, but you never know.
post #1268 of 1308 Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Sorry for not posting in a few days but my basement flooded and I'm trying to sort all that out as well! As others have stated, I too was able to watch HP7 in its entirety without issue.
post #1269 of 1308 Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I finished the new narnia sunday afternoon without trouble. I actually probably watched most of it 3 times due to falling asleep Saturday and not paying attention sunday and having to go back and watch scenes and about a half hour in the middle when I was surfing for deals on bds.
post #1270 of 1308 Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6288
post #1271 of 1308 Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

EDIT: This is a non issue. Got a replacement, plays fine just like when I originally rented it. It's the first disc I have ran into that was this damaged/defective. Leaving this post her just for posterity sake.

This disc will not play running 1.6. It loads and plays the previews, but when you select either theatrical or directors cut at the 1st menu the player freezes with a black screen and MENU on the display. You can stop/eject out of the theatrical loop, but if you select directors cut you will have to power cycle the player to get the disc out. This movie plays (sort of) under 1.4/1.5 however you can't select the directors cut at the 1st main menu, you much switch to it at the movie menu or with pop-up while playing the theatrical release. If you select it directly it will lock the player like under all releases of code.

I have reported this issue to Samsung. Behavior observed on 2 5ks and by another user on the forum.

EDIT: I am adding this note that I think I got a bad disc from BB on this one. They have shipped me another copy, which I hope is not the same one. Given I put it in the mailbox Saturday and they shipped me the new one early this morning, I would hope that is not the case. If it is, I will request they send another, rather than just mark it damaged online to get my queue rolling again. I will be retracting this and the report to Samsung, if I can finally get a copy to act ok for me.
post #1272 of 1308 Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM

My blu-rayplayer is working perfectly! I don't have a problem....Indeed i don't use it so often , just 5 times per month, depends of my spare time, but it works just fine!

Hope that mine won't broke or anything else!Good luck to all!
post #1273 of 1308 Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydenalex View Post

My blu-rayplayer is working perfectly! I don't have a problem....Indeed i don't use it so often , just 5 times per month, depends of my spare time, but it works just fine!

Hope that mine won't broke or anything else!Good luck to all!

If it is a Samsung BD-UP5000 and you are running firmware update 1.4. I dare you to play any version of Avatar (or any of a number of major movies released since then). If you are running firmware update 1.5, I dare you to play any of about 20 Fox titles that won't play (Sunshine, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Speed, iRobot, Cast Away and the 1st 3 Die Hards are good examples of this). If you are running firmware update 1.6 then I dare you to play any of the following; Bambi, Tron Legacy, The Incredibles, Splice, Superman/Batman Apocalypse, Thirteen Ghosts (the US version packaged as a double disc with House of Wax), or Chaplin.

Perhaps you have not tried these movies, with those firmware releases. My guess is you are on an older release and have not tried some of these titles. But if you have a BD-UP5000 you have both a BD and an HD player, not just a BD player.
post #1274 of 1308 Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The Secret Life of Bees is fine. Just had a defective copy.
post #1275 of 1308 Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post
I was able to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in its entirety last night with no issue.
Played fine on fw 1.3 with no issues either, but Robin Hood would get stuck on the load screen. No biggie just had to use the BDT300, and also got a prompt for new fw for the 300. They added Cinema Now and updated BD keys.
post #1276 of 1308 Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Just to report: Received Star Wars this morning. Just loaded Star Wars IV: A New Hope. One hour in and absolutely no problems.

Resistance is not futile.
We refuse to be assimilated.
-rjp
post #1277 of 1308 Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The Lion King does not play. Same issue as Bambi, Tron Legacy and The Incredibles. Gets stuck on Castle screen and does not advance. Can't use stop/menu trick. You will need to downgrade to 1.4 to play this movie as it does load and play there just fine.

In an interesting turn of events the DVD will not load on 1.6 or 1.4. The disc gets stuck on LOAD (at least in both my 1.6 player and 1.4 player) then never advances to MENU. I thought I might have a bad DVD, but it plays fine in an older Sammy DVD only player.

I need a couple other folks to verify the DVD issue as I have never seen this before.

I have reported this to Sammy online and will be calling them tomorrow to update my ticket AND open another ticket for this disc.
post #1278 of 1308 Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried the BR of Tora! Tora! Tora! w/1.6?
Any problems?
Thanks-
post #1279 of 1308 Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

Has anyone tried the BR of Tora! Tora! Tora! w/1.6?
Any problems?
Thanks-

Not, yet, but I expect it to be fine since there have not been Fox title issues in quite some time, but you never know. I forgot about that release, thanks for the reminder.
post #1280 of 1308 Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Fright Night will not play running 1.6, you must downgrade to 1.4. Disc loads up to Touchstone intro then a language screen comes up and after you select a language it gets stuck like some of the other Disney releases. This is the 1st Disney release I have encountered not under the main Walt Disney label/studio that won't play. Doesn't sound good for other Touchstone (and other Disney studio releases).

It's playing now just fine on one of my new units I sourced a few weeks back and I took it down to 1.4. Strangely this unit will not read a CD-r/w, but it does read CD-Rs. 1st unit/loader I have encountered that on also.
post #1281 of 1308 Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Strangely this unit will not read a CD-r/w, but it does read CD-Rs. 1st unit/loader I have encountered that on also.

Silly me. The reason one of my new units would not take a CD-r/w is because the disc i thought had 1.4 on it (and it did) has the latest update for the Sony BDP-S300 on it. I forgot that I had used that disc to update that old player before I gave it to my daughter and son-in-law a few weeks back.
post #1282 of 1308 Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Can anyone out there with the latest POTC 4 (On Stranger Tides) DVD confirm whether it is playable on the BD-UP5000 ?

My two BD-UP5000 players refuse to play this DVD, ejecting it quickly with an odd error message, the likes of which I have never seen before, but the same disc will play in every one of my other 5 DVD players of various ages and types. (Even a 2005 vintage GoVideo DVD/VCR unit.) There is no problem playing any other DVD I own.

Interestingly, the Blu-ray discs of this movie seem to load and play just fine in my 5000.

Is this another Samsung firmware issue?
post #1283 of 1308 Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyscroll View Post

Can anyone out there with the latest POTC 4 (On Stranger Tides) DVD confirm whether it is playable on the BD-UP5000 ?

My two BD-UP5000 players refuse to play this DVD, ejecting it quickly with an odd error message, the likes of which I have never seen before, but the same disc will play in every one of my other 5 DVD players of various ages and types. (Even a 2005 vintage GoVideo DVD/VCR unit.) There is no problem playing any other DVD I own.

Interestingly, the Blu-ray discs of this movie seem to load and play just fine in my 5000.

Is this another Samsung firmware issue?

You have been bit by the new infamous Disney DVD issue. You are probably seeing the error "The disc cannot be played. Please Check the TV system." which normally indicates that you are trying to play a PAL or non-region 1 dis k (you will get the same error if you attempt either with this player). Many Disney DVDs released in the ~year will not play on the 5k running firmware update 1.6. Most if not all of them will play running 1.4 (The Lion King is one exception I have found). If you check back at older postings here, and possibly in the problem discs thread, you will see notes of several that have this issue. A few examples are; Old Dogs, The Sorcerers Apprentice, 2011 versions of The Fox and the Hound, Dumbo, Snow White, Disney's a Christmas Carol and The Lion King already mentioned. I haven't checked all of mine in combo packs yet, but hear of new problem Disney DVDs all the time. And yes, this is a new firmware issue introduced with 1.6, but seems to only affect newer Disney releases. I have reported the issue several times by phone, chat, E-mail and my now what seems like worthless direct contacts at Samsung and the "official" problem discs reporting method that they use internally. I have had it acknowledged that they are aware of the issue, but it has not been confirmed to me that this or any of the other issues are being investigated and addressed. In the meantime, enjoy the BDs, at least the ones that do play. Several recent Disney BDs will not play of have various workarounds to get them to do so, including downgrading your player to 1.4. Since you have two players, I would suggest keeping one at 1.4 and one at 1.6. That's what I have done (actually I have 5 working players and 2 of them are running 1.4 the other 3 on 1.6).
post #1284 of 1308 Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

You have been bit by the new infamous Disney DVD issue. You are probably seeing the error "The disc cannot be played. Please Check the TV system." which normally indicates that you are trying to play a PAL or non-region 1 dis k (you will get the same error if you attempt either with this player). Many Disney DVDs released in the ~year will not play on the 5k running firmware update 1.6. Most if not all of them will play running 1.4 (The Lion King is one exception I have found). If you check back at older postings here, and possibly in the problem discs thread, you will see notes of several that have this issue. A few examples are; Old Dogs, The Sorcerers Apprentice, 2011 versions of The Fox and the Hound, Dumbo, Snow White, Disney's a Christmas Carol and The Lion King already mentioned. I haven't checked all of mine in combo packs yet, but hear of new problem Disney DVDs all the time. And yes, this is a new firmware issue introduced with 1.6, but seems to only affect newer Disney releases. I have reported the issue several times by phone, chat, E-mail and my now what seems like worthless direct contacts at Samsung and the "official" problem discs reporting method that they use internally. I have had it acknowledged that they are aware of the issue, but it has not been confirmed to me that this or any of the other issues are being investigated and addressed. In the meantime, enjoy the BDs, at least the ones that do play. Several recent Disney BDs will not play of have various workarounds to get them to do so, including downgrading your player to 1.4. Since you have two players, I would suggest keeping one at 1.4 and one at 1.6. That's what I have done (actually I have 5 working players and 2 of them are running 1.4 the other 3 on 1.6).

Thanks for the verification of the issue, and for the idea of running two different firmwares in my two machines.

I can somewhat understand a slight lag in coming out with new firmware to address the ever changing Blu-ray protection schemes, but to have DVDs not play, especially ones that used to play in previous firmwares, is inexcuseable in my book, and reflects a total disregard of the customers that help fund their corporation.

It seems that the DVD "Standard" has been set in stone for a number of years now and there should be NO situation where a perfectly valid disc should refuse to play.

Hate to repeat what everyone probably already knows but it appears as if Samsung has permanently given up on what was probably their most expensive Blu-ray player to date...even when it comes to simple DVD compatibility.

It is a terrific shame that they do not continue to support their customers when they clearly should.
post #1285 of 1308 Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Midnight in Paris didn't work with PCM on 1.4. Also, it did not play the Sony Pictures introduction. You could hear some music but no dialogue, even with the the 5000 set to reencode. I forgot to reset it when I downgraded from 1.6 to 1.4.

Went back to 1.6, and it was playable. However, when the 5000 was set to Bitstream Audiophile, my AVR (Yamaha RX-V3800) did say it was getting DTS-HD MA whcih was good, but it was only getting L-C-R (3.0) and not 5.1/7.1.

We really need a 1.7/2.0 firmware soon. I am looking for a new BD player, but don't want to give up on my 5000 yet.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #1286 of 1308 Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljanderson View Post

Midnight in Paris didn't work with PCM on 1.4. Also, it did not play the Sony Pictures introduction. You could hear some music but no dialogue, even with the the 5000 set to reencode. I forgot to reset it when I downgraded from 1.6 to 1.4.

Went back to 1.6, and it was playable. However, when the 5000 was set to Bitstream Audiophile, my AVR (Yamaha RX-V3800) did say it was getting DTS-HD MA whcih was good, but it was only getting L-C-R (3.0) and not 5.1/7.1.

We really need a 1.7/2.0 firmware soon. I am looking for a new BD player, but don't want to give up on my 5000 yet.

The mix on Midnight in Paris is 3.0 (L/C/R) so on bitstream you were getting what you were supposed to get. We are lucky that we can even get a 3.0 mix out of A Woody film. He hates surround sound any many of his older movies are in mono. What you experienced on 1.4 is similar to what to what happens with Vicky Cristina Barcelona however that is LPCM and for some reason the 5K does not send the center channel when set to bitstream or PCM (which actually outputs the same thing) so you have to use DTS re-encode to hear the dialogue.

I haven't rented Midnight... yet. I want to but there is a wait on Blockbuster by mail, my local stores only stock DVDs of that one and I have been too busy with TV and other stuff to get it from RedBox. Perhaps one of these days I will get around to it.
post #1287 of 1308 Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Horrible Bosses played without issues for me last evening.
post #1288 of 1308 Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

I watched "I don't know how she does it" the other night on my 5000. It was a redbox rental and played fine, I think it was a Blu-Ray but I didn't check and my wife rented it.

Really would be nice to get another firmware for this unit though. I still love this player in the system I have it hooked up too. I need to fix my LG one though as it only plays DVDs now. What amazes me more than anything is we are still talking about disk issues how many years into Blu-Ray now? I've even had a few disks not playing nice with my Oppo 83 of late and haven't seen a firmware update on it in some time.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #1289 of 1308 Old 01-22-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws_kahuna View Post

I watched "I don't know how she does it" the other night on my 5000. It was a redbox rental and played fine, I think it was a Blu-Ray but I didn't check and my wife rented it.

Really would be nice to get another firmware for this unit though. I still love this player in the system I have it hooked up too. I need to fix my LG one though as it only plays DVDs now. What amazes me more than anything is we are still talking about disk issues how many years into Blu-Ray now? I've even had a few disks not playing nice with my Oppo 83 of late and haven't seen a firmware update on it in some time.

Unless there was a problem, probably best to post this in the main owners thread. I forget sometimes also. That one is a stars/anchor bay release and some of those have had issues in the past, mostly with ddthd, but they have switched to dts-HD ma and the past few I have played from them have been fine.

Lingering and new issues are always possible when you release a technology which allows for customization with a universal programming language like java. It would have been better for them to have established hard and fast rules as to what essential elements of the interface etc, had to be 100% standard in order to at least play a disc like loading up and initial menu screens and playing the movie. Since that is not the case we get to suffer as a user of the technology.
post #1290 of 1308 Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Can't play John Carter (Blu Disc) on my BD-UP5000
Had to watch the DVD instead.

The Disc can't get past the Disney Logo Animation. Anybody else experience this problem?
My machine has the latest firmware installed (1.6) that was released back in June 2010
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page