post #181 of 1308 Old 06-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I want to hear more about the Rambo dropouts/issues, too. The reason I didn't add it was because I didn't get a consensus as to what setting it is happening on for everyone who has experienced it. I might rent it soonish and check for all the above listed problems.

I think the lack of consensus on the Rambo dropouts comes from the fact that people are using all sorts of audio connections, and it appears that this issue may only effect certain specific outputs on the 5K. Also, the early reports of this issue did not specify that Audiophile mode was necessary for it to happen, so the early testers may have been using re-encode mode without mentioning it.

The factors that I believe are important to the audio dropout issues are:

1) spdif output (optical in my case.)

2) 5K is set to Audiophile mode and NOT re-encode. (When I set the 5K to re-encode, the dropouts do not occur at the spots listed.)

3) The dropouts occurred at various places throughout the film, but the ones I listed for testing are during Chapter 2 at 8:17, and then again right away at 8:25.

For the video, I'm using HDMI (to DVI), and the TV is NOT 24fps capable, so it's 1080i. The scene that showed the odd "stuttery" video was Chapter 8, from 43:52 to 44:13 (as the team walks up to and through the cave.) As soon as the next scene starts (shot of plants in water) the issue no longer occurs.

The menu glitch occurred when bonus view was on -- while it was on, when I would pull up the menu to change chapters, the words "Chapter Selection," as well as the little chapter stills, were missing. If I navigated around a bit the text and stills would return.

Thanks for testing this if you get a chance.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1308 Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
OK, finally broke down and bought the movie (bad expensive habit this is becoming with known problem discs ). I'm not connected optically but I am using Audiophile. HDMI didn't produce any audio dropouts in those locations or anywhere else, I don't believe (heard something that could possibly be construed as such during a scene transition from the cave where you witnessed the video problem but didn't put much stock in it due to its location between scenes). So, it seems likely there are some glitches when the machine utilizes the DTS core (maybe I should connect an optical cable and see if the dropouts you experienced before are realized) with this film. The good news is the bitstream doesn't manifest these and apparently neither does analog according to others here (which I can't explain since it also utilizes the same core...must be an intermediate problem in the decoding process that resolves when the DAC gets utilized ).

On a related note, I thought I might have heard some crackling with louder orchestral passages and possibly in some of the explosions. I'm not sure on this so I'll revisit again. This might relate to what is happening on some of the other DTS-MA 7.1 titles (i.e. Pan's Labyrinth HD DVD) if true.

I can confirm the frame skipping you saw. This is similar to what I witnessed with some HD DVD special features in the past. The player trips up on these for some unknown reason.

That menu navigation problem you chronicled was similar to mine (all I had to do was navigate up or down the chapter selection menu with a single button press and all text/icons appeared. EDIT: on my backup/bedroom player, it required a few more button presses to resolve). This is a very minor problem and didn't bother me...but I had a couple of other more severe menu/navigation problems crop up while experimenting. While navigating the special features, all text disappeared and I had to stop the disc and restart to regain control (only happened once). Also, while watching the feature I attempted some quick, successive chapter skips in the reverse direction and the machine locked up, requiring a reboot.

So, this just seems like another Lionsgate disc that is perhaps complicated by the presence of Bonusview and 2.0 features. Next to Fox, Lionsgate discs seem to trip up this player the most.

I'll add this title to the list shortly.

EDIT: Listened for 30 mins in headphones connected to Onkyo receiver with above settings. I couldn't really detect any crackles (or dropouts) present.
post #183 of 1308 Old 06-23-2008, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, finally broke down and bought the movie (bad expensive habit this is becoming with known problem discs ). I'm not connected optically but I am using Audiophile. HDMI didn't produce any audio dropouts in those locations or anywhere else, I don't believe (heard something that could possibly be construed as such during a scene transition from the cave where you witnessed the video problem but didn't put much stock in it due to its location between scenes). So, it seems likely there are some glitches when the machine utilizes the DTS core (maybe I should connect an optical cable and see if the dropouts you experienced before are realized) with this film.

Thanks for testing this vinnie. If you end up having time, I'd be quite interested to find out whether or not you hear the audio dropout issues in chapter 2 (see specific times above) when using the optical connection and audiophile mode. It's VERY helpful when other people can confirm the same issues, and it saves sending the unit in for repairs if the same issue can be confirmed on other units.

Quote:
I can confirm the frame skipping you saw. This is similar to what I witnessed with some HD DVD special features in the past. The player trips up on these for some unknown reason.

Thanks for confirming this. Did you report this to Samsung, or are you planning to? If so, how did/would you describe it? I'm going to call them to report it, and I think it's important to use similar terminology so that they'll realize that more than one person is seeing the same issue.

Quote:
That menu navigation problem you chronicled was similar to mine (all I had to do was navigate up or down the chapter selection menu with a single button press and all text/icons appeared. EDIT: on my backup/bedroom player, it required a few more button presses to resolve). This is a very minor problem and didn't bother me.

I agree that it wasn't a deal breaker, but it was still irritating, and I wanted to be thorough in my reporting.

Thanks for your help and information on these issues.

Larry
post #184 of 1308 Old 06-23-2008, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, that particular menu problem was actually more bothersome on my second build (actually mirrored your initial description), so I agree the combination of the menu problems we both experienced should definitely be addressed.

As far as how to vocalize the frame issue problem, "skipped frames causing jumpy video" would probably be sufficient. I haven't reported anything to Samsung since reporting 24fps Paramount/Dreamworks flicker but I intend to call and mention some of these other bugs in the near future.
post #185 of 1308 Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You likely have a bunk player. There is a batch (or 2) of BD-UP5000s that are unable to play Fox titles (likely to be a BD+ DRM issue).

Has anyone determined what batch? Mine was made in Jan., 2008 and has the problem. Is it limited to just machines made that month? Also, I don't see anywhere on the box where it shows the manufactured date.

I've been playing the affected Fox titles on my other machine (Panasonic). I've also got an unopened BH200 I can use in the future. Therefore, no need to get it fixed.
post #186 of 1308 Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

Has anyone determined what batch? Mine was made in Jan., 2008 and has the problem. Is it limited to just machines made that month? Also, I don't see anywhere on the box where it shows the manufactured date.

I've been playing the affected Fox titles on my other machine (Panasonic). I've also got an unopened BH200 I can use in the future. Therefore, no need to get it fixed.

There is no way to tell, its just a batch of players made within a few months time. There are players that work fine and there are a handful that dont.....

If you ever want the problem resolved you are going to have to exchange it or get it repaired there is NO way around this...IMO if you havebackups I would just send it in while its on Samsung's dime...

You will not be able to see the manufacturing date on the Box the only place is on the back of the player where it gives month\\year...
post #187 of 1308 Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

As Ph8te mentioned, it's random as far as is known. We haven't taken a tally to get the official word on any specific batch (maybe I'll start a poll).
post #188 of 1308 Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Could not play Patton BD and Please Rewind BD.Called Samsung for 1.3.

Be Kind Rewind loaded just fine for me, started the movie but did not watch it....
post #189 of 1308 Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 PM

+1

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
post #190 of 1308 Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

This won't play. Just gets stuck in "load" requiring powering off and then pressing eject to get it out: Mr. & Mrs. Smith HD DVD

Plays fine on the XA1.

This is pretty disappointing because the blu-ray version won't play either (rsod).
post #191 of 1308 Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM

JETJETJET I am experiencing the same issue. My Player does not play blurays after installing V 1.3, I get the error 000000ff.

Could you finally find the way to solve it?
post #192 of 1308 Old 07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

There is no way to tell, its just a batch of players made within a few months time. There are players that work fine and there are a handful that dont.....

If you ever want the problem resolved you are going to have to exchange it or get it repaired there is NO way around this...IMO if you havebackups I would just send it in while its on Samsung's dime...

You will not be able to see the manufacturing date on the Box the only place is on the back of the player where it gives month\\year...

There is now a "Continue" button on the RSOD screen. At least there is on "Point Break". After choosing "Continue" it plays.... but looks like a mis-tracking video tape.

Everything but the movie itself plays perfectly. The previews of other movies, the photo gallery, deleted scenes and the featurette. Trailers played but were in low resolution. I'll have to check the trailers on my other player.
LL
post #193 of 1308 Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 PM

I get the same 00000ff error on Hellboy. Just got the player. So far, got audio dropouts in the middle of Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds, League of Extr. Gentlemen played without a hitch.
post #194 of 1308 Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post

I get the same 00000ff error on Hellboy. Just got the player. So far, got audio dropouts in the middle of Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds, League of Extr. Gentlemen played without a hitch.

Does it have the 1.3 firmware? If not, updating may solve your issues.

Larry
post #195 of 1308 Old 07-07-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

OK...so Ph8te, get this. I finally broke down and nabbed Clerks II. To abbreviate my experience, I don't get a black screen or any freezing that I can readily detect. What I do notice is the time display hangs at the spot you mentioned (104:44) for about 2 seconds with no detectable interruption of audio/video and then continues on at 104:46. It could be a fault tolerance difference between different players and/or some discs are further outside of the authoring spec than others. I'll give it a go on my other player but I'm thinking this will be a harder bug to squash than most (I didn't even notice it on the first time through the movie and then remembered this was a problematic flick for this player). If my second player doesn't exhibit the problem, I'm half-tempted to delete it from the list.
post #196 of 1308 Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK...so Ph8te, get this. I finally broke down and nabbed Clerks II. To abbreviate my experience, I don't get a black screen or any freezing that I can readily detect. What I do notice is the time display hangs at the spot you mentioned (104:44) for about 2 seconds with no detectable interruption of audio/video and then continues on at 104:46. It could be a fault tolerance difference between different players and/or some discs are further outside of the authoring spec than others. I'll give it a go on my other player but I'm thinking this will be a harder bug to squash than most (I didn't even notice it on the first time through the movie and then remembered this was a problematic flick for this player). If my second player doesn't exhibit the problem, I'm half-tempted to delete it from the list.

The scene itself isnt the "best" spot for a glitch either lol....Its almost at a "cut" so sometimes its hard to tell if its the player or the disc.....Since this is the only disc I have really had issues with, I am not gonna mess with my player....There is a definite "skip" at 104:44, and I dont always get a black screen, sometimes its just frozen video, sometimes is shorter than others, sometimes its longer.....

I think this is one glitch I can deal with as, that movies doesnt get much play..and the movie itself is still playable...If I FFW\\RW through that spot I generally get the "black screen" almost every time....
post #197 of 1308 Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Odd...I didn't notice it on any rewindings but tried rewatching it several times. Never a black screen, though sometimes I wonder if the video had frozen for a split second (seemed more like my imagination than anything). I won't be able to compare it on the second unit yet as I don't have a display conveniently set up in that room at the moment.
post #198 of 1308 Old 07-08-2008, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Odd...I didn't notice it on any rewindings but tried rewatching it several times. Never a black screen, though sometimes I wonder if the video had frozen for a split second (seemed more like my imagination than anything). I won't be able to compare it on the second unit yet as I don't have a display conveniently set up in that room at the moment.

Regarding "freezes," I just saw some of these on an Andy Griffith show SD DVD. One of the extra sponsor spots had several freezes in the video while the audio continued to play normally. When I re-played the section, it played fine. I just chalked it up to yet another in a long line of Samsung 5K glitches.

Larry
post #199 of 1308 Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 AM

Has anyone played through the HD-DVD of Underworld (German import)?
I got video and audio hic-ups at the layer change (Blonde vamp turning off the main power breaker ). After that it continued normally. Played fine on my A1,A30,A35 so I know the disk is good.
post #200 of 1308 Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 PM

Found a second problem disk I have not seen mentioned.
Die Fledermaus, HD-DVD by Opus Arte.
Does not fully load the menu so you can play the disk. The background plays (glasses and bubbles). Anyone else?
post #201 of 1308 Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for mentioning that, Larry...too bad the player will always be riddled with these most likely. I have so few DVDs that it fortunately won't be a primary concern but one still has to wonder why legacy support is buggy.

Thanks for the import reports, DHabeck. We'll need a 2nd confirmation on those two but it wouldn't surprise me if they're afflicted. I also wonder if anyone can follow up with Les gendarmes de St Tropez (the MIA Eurotrance forum member had this title) loading failure. It seems Samsung didn't do nearly as much testing on European titles (likely not Japanese either) as with US titles. That may be in part due to the fact that the player wasn't released outside of North America.
post #202 of 1308 Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

I would like to add the 'BCI' disc "Galaxina" as a menu troubled disc as the BD-UP5000 does not hi-lite menus correctly, while my A20 & A2 hi-lite correctly.

--David

Yes, same for me, too. Galaxina HD DVD menu screen you see a large black rectangle covering up the highlighted option and screen area around it. The disc plays, but if you forget what item you are about to select, you have to move off your highlighted item to see what it was.

Prof. Bergman, Moonbase Alpha
post #203 of 1308 Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

Does it have the 1.3 firmware? If not, updating may solve your issues.

Larry

I was hoping that Firmware 1.3 would settle the regular audio dropouts on SD DVDs that I experience. I have given the player months of trial to determine whether it was specific disc issues or not. Every SD DVD I play has anywhere from 1-10 non-repeatable audio dropouts, so these cannot be disc-related. I am returning my player for service.

Prof. Bergman, Moonbase Alpha
post #204 of 1308 Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowar View Post

JETJETJET I am experiencing the same issue. My Player does not play blurays after installing V 1.3, I get the error 000000ff.

Could you finally find the way to solve it?

I'm having the same problem. Anyone figure anything out?

No BDs will play after installing 1.3. All kick out with error 0x000000ff or try to load at the splash screen until i get impatient and reboot the player. So far the only BD to load is Fifth Element (Original) but it will not play smoothly, extreme jitters. DVD and HD-DVD play just fine. Build is 2007.12. Purchased today, Circuit City Open Box. All discs loaded/played fine before firmware upgrade (not sure what original version was).

BDs that won't play:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pirates of the Caribbean 2
Pirates of the Caribbean 3
Casino Royale
Live Free Or Die Hard
Memento
T2
Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Fountain

post #205 of 1308 Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I've installed that firmware on two 5000s with no problem at all. I wonder if the disk you made is bad. I'd try burning a new disk, use a good Japan made CD-R like I did, and try it again.
post #206 of 1308 Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

No BDs will play after installing 1.3. All kick out with error 0x000000ff or try to load at the splash screen until i get impatient and reboot the player. So far the only BD to load is Fifth Element (Original) but it will not play smoothly, extreme jitters. DVD and HD-DVD play just fine. Build is 2007.12. Purchased today, Circuit City Open Box. All discs loaded/played fine before firmware upgrade (not sure what original version was).

BDs that won't play:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Casino Royale
Live Free Or Die Hard
Memento
T2
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Fountain

You might want to try reloading the software, as I havent had any issues since the new firmware...In the end though you might need to send it in.
post #207 of 1308 Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

I've installed that firmware on two 5000s with no problem at all. I wonder if the disk you made is bad. I'd try burning a new disk, use a good Japan made CD-R like I did, and try it again.

I tried twice, both times with Sony CD-R discs, once with a free iso burning program, the second with Nero 8 Demo, both times throttled down to 4x. I'll talk with Samsung tech support tonight, but I'd like to avoid sending it in, but I'd rather send it in than return it since I got a screaming deal and I don't think there are any more in the area.

post #208 of 1308 Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 PM

Hi all,

New to the forum, but found this problem to be annoying and glad there is a forum to try to figure it out. I have a few also to add to the list.

I have a Dec 2007 BDUP5000 (that does play silver surfer!)

Could not play:
Vantage point- (never could get to load, tried rebooting 5 times)
Drillbit Taylor - (same)
AVP Requiem (gets stuck at 4:15 after the first two previews. Menu never loads)

All of these were rented from Blockbuster and Netflix. All looked brand new... no traces of scratches anywhere...

any ideas?
Neither of these discs would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

BDs that won't play:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Casino Royale
Live Free Or Die Hard
Memento
T2
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Fountain

post #209 of 1308 Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like another faulty player (or damaged/defective discs). Drillbit is Paramount, Vantage (already confirmed to play) is Sony and AVP (already confirmed to play) is Fox, so it's difficult to trace a pattern other than them all being BDs. That Stephen Hopkins case is also another instance of bad hardware from the looks of things. A few questions for you:

1) Did you upgrade to firmware 1.3?
2) Do you have any other hardware on which to test those discs? If so, have you tested them and what was the result?
post #210 of 1308 Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM

I have upgraded to Firmware 1.3... twice, once via network and the other via CD.

I actually called samsung today and the gentleman told me that unfortunately they are still doing research on the issue, and said that Vantage Point was on their list of non playable discs.. .something about computer languages... yada yada.... AND they were releasing a firmware update at the end of the month that should fix it....

Took the discs back to BB and got Untraceable which didn't load the menu either (stuck in perpetual PLAY, then blinking red play light) I put in house of flying daggers and it played without a hitch.

Just for kickers I put in Fantastic Four Silver Surfer and it did play.... so vexing. How do I get Samsung to replace my unit... would that really fix it?
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page