AVS Forum banner

BD-UP5000 problem discs

178K views 1K replies 186 participants last post by  PrinceLH 
#1 ·
Bug list: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dg6dggdj_15dmw8bqcq (this can be viewed without the need of a Gmail acct, btw)

Here's the running list of confirmed problems for those who would rather view them here:

Issues remaining after firmware 1.6, released 06/12/10 :

01) Various (Paramount/Dreamworks HD DVD) : upper screen flickering in 24fps mode on certain AVC/h.264 titles, (see working list here) *unchanged*

02) The Kingdom (HD DVD) : sluggish IME (U-control) menus *unchanged*

03) Bubble (Magnolia HD DVD) : Menu fails to load (logo screen simply cycles repeatedly) making movie inaccessible *unchanged*

04) La Haine (French Studio Canal HD DVD) : unable to access scenes in scene selection *unchanged*

05) Clerks II (HD DVD) : issue at 1:04:44 (able to duplicate going both FW/BK). Blk screen, "freezes", then continues as normal *unchanged*

06) Eagles Live in Melbourne (HD DVD) : disc menu fails to draw properly (track titles either don't appear or line up properly) *unchanged*

07) Akira (Bandai Visual BD) : disc hangs when loading (tempfix: When stuck in slide show mode, stop the disc, wait until it comes to a full stop and then hit "Disc Menu" to access the movie) *unchanged*

08) Brotherhood of the Wolf (HD DVD French/UK Import) : player locks when attempting to change subtitles, will not display English subtitles *unchanged*

09) Atonement (HD DVD) : audio/handshaking incompatibilities result in silence on playback of bitstreamed DD+ soundtrack (tempfix: Switch player's audio mode to PCM) *unchanged*

10) Sherlock Holmes (BD) : various locations where frames are skipped on playback; background graphic on menu fails to load *unchanged*

11) Top Gun (HD DVD) : problems with DDTHD if skipping directly to chapter 2 *unchanged*

Previous issues that need testing:

01) Resident Evil - Extinction (BD) : Blu-wizard feature not working

02) Les gendarmes de St Tropez (French HD DVD) : none of the 4 discs go past the M6 logo

03) Rambo (BD) : during playback, skipped video frames from 43:52 - 44:13; potential audio dropouts over optical using Audiophile (need more confirmation on this last one) *new*

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I got one taker so far (kudos SpenceJT) but it wouldn't hurt having a few more December 2007 owners on board. As I mentioned in another thread, before adding a problem or marking one as resolved, it might be a good idea to wait for at least 3 confirmations first. Feel free to share your thoughts.

#3 ·
I think it's a good idea.

Does "Issues remaining after firmware 1.2" mean the discs mentioned in the firmware 1.0 & pre-1.0 firmware lists are now fixed or they've simply not been reported and could still be a problem?

For example does Planet Earth (HD-DVD) now work with Firmware 1.0 and 1.2?

Can I suggest:

1. Changing it from Firmware 1.2 to Firmware 1.1/1.2 to save possible confusion.

2. Adding that some users can watch Sunshine using DD5.1.

Thanks

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13383613

I think it's a good idea.

Does "Issues remaining after firmware 1.2" mean the discs mentioned in the firmware 1.0 & pre-1.0 firmware lists are now fixed or they've simply not been reported and could still be a problem?

For example does Planet Earth (HD-DVD) now work with Firmware 1.0 and 1.2?

It was reported fixed previously, though I don't have it to check myself (problem discs from previous firmware versions are marked with the "FIXED" flag and not carried over to the more recent lists in order to make the current problem list more legible and succinct).

Quote:
Can I suggest:

1. Changing it from Firmware 1.2 to Firmware 1.1/1.2 to save possible confusion.

That's possible...however, there have been a few instances where people (may have just been one) reported different disc behavior across the 2 revisions (possibly just related to the lack of web availability in 1.1). There's just not enough data to reliably include them together, IMO. Please refresh, however. I did go ahead and make a mention of 1.1 (hopefully not creating more confusion, lol).

Quote:
2. Adding that some users can watch Sunshine using DD5.1.

In my case, I can actually watch it using either soundtrack (for the first 20 minutes at least, haven't viewed the rest). It's just that fast forwarding navigation results in making it unwatchable without power cycling.

Thanks for the thoughts.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/13383684

It was reported fixed previously, though I don't have it to check myself (problem discs from previous firmware versions are marked with the "FIXED" flag and not carried over to the more recent lists in order to make the current problem list more legible and succinct).

Thanks. I missed the FIXED text. I see only 9 titles are on the 1.2 list, that's much better than it used to be.

I see Soprano's Season 6, Part 2 is still on the pre-1.0 firmware list but not mentioned since. Any idea if that is fixed?

I see the following titles aren't mentioned at all, are they now fixed? -

* Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End : For some it works fine, others menus display improperly, making selections difficult but even then the film plays!

* Die Hard 4.0 (aka - Live Free or Die Hard) : For some it works fine, others it refuses to load.

* Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer : For some it works fine, others it refuses to load.

Quote:

Please refresh, however. I did go ahead and make a mention of 1.1 (hopefully not creating more confusion, lol).

Confusion I'm afraid: What does "DHCP snafu, YMMV" mean? I only know of DHCP as a computer term. Does YMMV mean "Your mileage may vary"?

Quote:

In my case, I can actually watch it using either soundtrack (for the first 20 minutes at least, haven't viewed the rest). It's just that fast forwarding navigation results in making it unwatchable without power cycling.

I just mean as it's a general list, saying some users can fix it using DD5.1 may help others, even if not yourself.

Thanks again Vinnie.

#8 ·
ooh, not sure on the Sopranos situation. I think someone may have reported that later firmware version(s) fixed it. I'll have to look through this forum to verify. Those Fox titles you mentioned not loading are the exception rather than the norm. Besides Sunshine, I've had good luck with Fox titles (including Fantastic Four: Rise..). I *believe* that Pirates menu issue was resolved as I do remember seeing reports about it being fixed subsequently.

And yes, DHCP, an IT term, refers to Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (protocol for automating the configuration of computers that use TCP/IP). The player acts as a DHCP client when connected to a router with an enabled DHCP server. This enables it to get an IP address automatically. Version 1.1 mistakenly disabled the DHCP client on the player, rendering it incapable of receiving an IP in that fashion and thus unable to connect to the WAN (internet). You were correct on YMMV.

Re: Sunshine and DD5.1, I wanted to see at least 2 reports of said success before differentiating the two on the list (but I made a note as per your request).

EDIT: It doesn't appear the Sopranos lockup was resolved with 1.0. Can those who experienced the problem with 1.0 report on if it's gone with 1.2?

#9 ·
Oh I thought snafu was a forum member and he had reported it

That's what completely threw me. I couldn't work out what DHCP had to do with anything, other than I knew it was connected to the Samsung's Ethernet problem on Firmware 1.1.

I've never heard the word snafu before, maybe it's American English like Asinine. I didn't have a clue what that meant when my American friend first said it, we don't use that word over here.

I wonder if "reportedly identical to 1.1 except for a DHCP snafu resulting in no internet connectivity, YMMV" is too colloquial? It confused me and English is my first language. I don't want to tell you how to run your own list though, sorry. Maybe? -

(reportedly identical to firmware 1.1 except for a Ethernet/DHCP issue resulting in no internet connectivity, fixed with 1.2)

Quote:
Re: Sunshine and DD5.1, I wanted to see at least 2 reports of said success before differentiating the two on the list (but I made a note as per your request).

Thanks. I thought more than one member had confirmed this works for them, no?

Quote:
Those Fox titles you mentioned not loading are the exception rather than the norm.

Thanks. I thought so.

Agreed we don't want to add "maybe dodgy" titles as the list would be huge if all unconfirmed titles were added. Just stick to properly confirmed titles.

Thanks again. I'll leave you in peace now
, keep up the good work.

#10 ·
Thank you. I amended the wording a bit (just didn't want to be too verbose...oops, too late
). On Sunshine, one reported that it played through perfectly but also said they did no navigation, which is why I'm not sure exactly what behavior can be pinned down on this title, except for what I've experienced.

#12 ·
Brad

I am sorry but you are not verbose? A member since march 2 and without even owning a dual format player you are now the resident expert here averaging 12 posts per day.

I have rarely seen so many multipart quotes-its like you need to comment on everything. Why.?

Our English has slang . So does yours. You smoke "****" for example
There are also Canadian slang, Australian slang etc. Whats the problem?

You are welcome here but be part of the community not its advisor.

#13 ·
Sorry I wasn't trying to be an advisor, just giving advise if I know something and it's asked of me.

There's no problem. I know all English countries have slang. I was only making a suggestion, nothing more. I just meant it may confuse non-English speakers even more. Anyway sorry if I caused offence, it wasn't my intention.

I think Vinnie has done some excellent work here and was just trying to help out, that's all

#14 ·
From the other lengthier thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 /forum/post/13386806

Star Trek TOS HD DVD now works with the 1.1 firmware. I just finished going through my previous list of STTOS problem episodes and they are all fine now.

Scott

Scott provided some detailed experiences previously, off the 1.2 list this goes.

Brad, I was actually going to leave out any mention of 1.1 but it makes sense to at least have it in a footnote (thanks for that advice). SNAFU apparently came about during WWII as a reference to the chaos of military life: situation normal all f*cked up
- I actually was not aware of the history of this acro, interesting how the military made it a part of our vernacular.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/13389259

SNAFU apparently came about during WWII as a reference to the chaos of military life: situation normal all f*cked up
- I actually was not aware of the history of this acro, interesting how the military made it a part of our vernacular.

Fubar is another military acronym which means basically the same thing: ****ed up beyond all recognition. Snafu is definitely the more common of the two.

#17 ·
Yea, another one that I'm aware of but didn't realize it was military in origin (or the meaning).

Span, I think you mentioned something in the other thread about Warner titles reverting to 60 fps. I haven't noticed this but I'll pay closer attention next time.

EDIT: I tested 8 Warner HD DVD titles. All with the exception of 2 played at 24 fps, TMNT and Blood Diamond. Phantom of the Opera, Superman Returns, Million Dollar Baby, Gothika, Corpse Bride, and a Scanner Darkly all showed as being at 60 hz on my Samsung display. I don't have any of the titles you listed in the other thread but we might be onto another glitch here.

I also tested the Kingdom, U-control was functional but all menus were a bit sluggish when loading.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13385311

If you don't want to be too Verbose you could just say:

Also 1.1, which is identical to 1.2 except for an Ethernet/DHCP error

Why go into detail? It's not the right place to explain what the Ethernet problem was.

I was unable to play Elizabeth TGA combo disc with firmware versions 1.0 or 1.1 installed. The player kicked out the disc and indicated that it could not be played. I also had significant problems loading the AG disc unless I double tapped the Fast Forward key on versions 1.0 and 1.1.

As soon as I installed version 1.2 I stopped have any difficultie with these two discs. From my perspective, it appears that there are differences between 1.1 and 1.2 other than restoring the ethernet connection. I guess the other possibility is that 1.1 did not install properly on my player but 1.2 did.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13394855

Thanks Smoore for that.

What is AG?

AG is American Gangster. My copy works fine on the BD-UP5000. As for Beowulf, it took a while to load the 1st time, but the wait time seems much shorter to me now on subsequent viewings. I don't know if that title really qualifies as an issue.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/13390325

Span, I think you mentioned something in the other thread about Warner titles reverting to 60 fps. I haven't noticed this but I'll pay closer attention next time.

EDIT: I tested 8 Warner HD DVD titles. All with the exception of 2 played at 24 fps, TMNT and Blood Diamond. Phantom of the Opera, Superman Returns, Million Dollar Baby, Gothika, Corpse Bride, and a Scanner Darkly all showed as being at 60 hz on my Samsung display. I don't have any of the titles you listed in the other thread but we might be onto another glitch here.

Warner Bros HD DVD titles I have which the BD-UP5000 plays in 60hz mode include:

- Oceans Eleven, Oceans Twelve, Oceans Thirteen, 300, Harry Potter/Order of the Phoenix

Coincidentally, I have watched two of those films in their entirety with the BD-UP5000 (Oceans Thirteen and 300) and they are the only two films I've experienced audio dropouts with so far of any format (seems to happen within a minute of a chapter break).

Warner Bros HD DVD titles I own which the BD-UP5000 presents at 24hz include:

- Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions, Troy, The Departed, Charlie/Chocolate Factory.

Of those Warner films, I've watched Charlie & the Chocolate Factory in its entirety with no audio drop outs.

I would not be surprised if all of the Warner Bros films that force a 60hz mode also have audio drop outs, while those that play in 24hz mode do not; as I watch more of these films on the BD-UP5000 I will try to confirm if that is the case or not. So far these two issue seems to coincide with one another.

#22 ·
Spanbauer, you're indeed onto something. TMNT on my 5000 also exhibited dropouts!

Eurotrance, I only listed Beowulf as I've still seen several reports (which mirror my own) of minute-long waits before the web update graphic even appears. Welcome back, btw. I hope you don't mind what I've done here during your forced hiatus.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore /forum/post/13392228

I also had significant problems loading the AG disc unless I double tapped the Fast Forward key on versions 1.0 and 1.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance /forum/post/13395078

AG is American Gangster. My copy works fine on the BD-UP5000.

American Gangster is one of my current rentals, and I was also having difficulty getting the disc to load. My BD-UP5000 is connected to the internet, so the first thing the disc tries to do is download content. My fifth trial and error got the disc to load (skip 1-4 if you don't want the long story):

1st try: the network loading screen came up for a bit, followed by an error message that it couldn't connect at this time and gave me the option to try again or go on without. I accidentally chose to try again, which may have been the source of my continued troubles. It never got anywhere so I ejected the disc and put it back in.

2nd try: nothing but a blank screen this time, with the counter running on the front of the player. Waited 2-3 minutes and ejected the disc.

3rd try: the network load screen returned this time, but neither the load bar or the counter on the front of the player were doing anything. ejected the disc to try again.

4th try: the network load screen hit the ground running this time, but after five minutes of nothing I decided to try the "cancel" button which did no good. Powered the unit down.

5th try: Went in to the persistent storage management in the player's setup/system setup menu. There were Warner Bros entries, a New Line entry, and then several unknown entries. Not sure which was American Gangster, I deleted all of the entries that weren't labeled as another studio (American Gangster is Universal). After that, I started the movie again after after a minute or less of the network loading screen the disc proceeded to the menu just as it should. Henceforth, the network screen only appears for a second as it's already loaded what it wants to load.

Hope this helps others.

#24 ·
Just to throw in 2cents... A number of problems with these players and internet download able content may vary depending on your connection speed. Anyone with a player that is wired to an ethernet bridge or wireless adapter is going to have more data loss and thus, a longer download time for the info from the studio. Also keep in mind, when (time wise) you are watching a movie... is it prime time on the east or west coast (of the USA) all of these factors can significantly effect the download speed of the player as well as the content that is being downloaded from the web. As far as 24hz v. 60hz on Universal discs, I am going to sit down now and re-analyze my library... I have many of the movies already mentioned, but if anyone wants a detailed list posted here I would be more than happy to test em all!

#25 ·
Has anyone else tried the BD "Hitman"?

For me, it refuses to load -- "This disc cannot be played" or something of the sort. I tried rebooting the player and still no go; tried to play it several times. Nov. build, FW 1.2. For my player anyway, this is the first disc to do this repeatedly.

By the way, it's a brand new disc -- not a rental.

#26 ·
How can you connect the Samsung BD-UP5000 by Wireless?

It only has an Ethernet port. Besides most peoples Broadband is no more than 8Mb (correct me if I'm wrong) which is much less than 54Mbps G.

For those with American Gangster problems, have you tried disabling the Ethernet port? It sounds more trouble than it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.