LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2819 Old 03-29-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Decode DD+ in the player should be easy. It sould not downgrade to DD unless you use SPDIF as your audio output to AVR. If you output PCM from HDMI, the player should decode everything. If you output bitstream from HDMI 1.3, the AVR should decode everything. The only thing not clear is DTS-HD MA. I believe the player can't decode it internally. If you chose PCM, it may just extract the lossy DTS core and decode it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2819 Old 03-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Foxbat, I have no problem with the BH200 bitstreaming over HDMI of any Blu-ray codec (DD, TrueHD, Uncompressed PCM, or dts-HD MA). It all works perfectly.

It also has no problem bistreaming standard DVD whether it's dts or DD5.1.

What I am having a problem with is bistreaming HD DVD content from the BH200 to my AVR (Marantz SR7002). The data stream is significantly corrupted. My AVR is only detecting two channels and those are a stream of pops (sounds like the bitstream bomb except at a lower volume and repeating constantly). When I switch the player to decode internally and send as PCM, no issues.

While my preference is to bitstream, I can live with the inconvenience of switching to PCM on the player for HD DVD's as long as I am not missing anything. Since I have no HD DVD movies with dts-HD, I am not concerned about core. Since the player now decodes TrueHD on board, that's not an issue. But when osofast described what was in the firmware update, he only mentioned DD+ as bitstream and the manual's pretty unclear.

Intuitively, if it internally decodes TrueHD, it internally decodes DD+ ... I was just wondering if someone had confirmation. Or, an idea how to fix my annoying HD DVD bitstream issue.
post #273 of 2819 Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 AM

So I've finally been able to plug my unit in and use it for the first time. Everything went fine, upgrading the unit to the March firmware and applying the 0702 update.

It's a beautiful stylish player. With the power off, it didn't seem so special, but when I turned it on and saw what it looked like, I was really happy. I guess bright lights and shiny objects make my simple mind feel good

I popped in Bourne Ultimatum and was happy with the PCM output, but when I tried to bitstream, I was disappointed to discover that it's having... difficulties. Whenever a large explosion comes up, no matter what I do, it's like it gets quiet and then the sound comes back and it's all quite harsh. I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver, so it may be one of the earlier units that needs firmware updating. I've just registered the unit, so I'll find out about that when their database indicates that the unit is registered (it still hasn't).

In the meantime, does anyone with the BH200/TX-SR605 combo, have similar issues with 'Ultimatum'? Just go to the car chase scene at the end, with the Touareg and the police car. Any time vehicles collide and it's on bitstream mode, the sound doesn't function properly.
post #274 of 2819 Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

I've just registered the unit, so I'll find out about that when their database indicates that the unit is registered (it still hasn't).

In the meantime, does anyone with the BH200/TX-SR605 combo, have similar issues with 'Ultimatum'? Just go to the car chase scene at the end, with the Touareg and the police car. Any time vehicles collide and it's on bitstream mode, the sound doesn't function properly.

My 605 doesn't work at all when bitstreaming. I registered my reciever lastnight and it instantly told me I needed a firmware update. The bad news is you either have to ship it to a service center or drive it yourself if there is one near by.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #275 of 2819 Old 03-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

My 605 doesn't work at all when bitstreaming. I registered my reciever lastnight and it instantly told me I needed a firmware update. The bad news is you either have to ship it to a service center or drive it yourself if there is one near by.

Well, I called into Onkyo Service, right after posting and no offense to Onkyo, but the gentleman I dealt with, didn't really seem so 'with it'. Anyway, after about 40 minutes, we figured out that I need the firmware update, so I'll have to haul it in on Tuesday and pick it up two days later. I called and they said that would be the time it would take

I do have an old Onkyo TX-SR474 unit that I could use, but it showed its age about 5 years ago, so I probably wont even bother to hook that up. Hopefully that solves my messed up decoding situation. Good luck on your end, XBRSteve.
post #276 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Biba View Post

I don't know if the build date makes any difference here.

I don't think it really means anything, not when you can upgrade the firmware anyway.

Quote:

I hate to say this but I agree that if there is a bug in the March FW update, it is due to the RECEIVERS (with the later Denons likely being the exception) not being able to handle DD+, etc., with the March FW provided by LG.

You say all DD+ works fine then say there is a problem? You say it's a bug in the March firmware then blame the Receiver?

Please explain, thanks.

Has this DD+ issue been reported to LG? Hopefully they can fix it for the official re-release of the March firmware in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

There is no DD+ track, so that is very strange

I am Legend has TrueHD or DD+/DD5.1 depending if it's the HD-DVD or BD. Only TrueHD is available on the Alternate Cut. AFAIK Warner always include both when they include TrueHD, unlike Sony who only include TrueHD
post #277 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 AM

I have experienced several video dropouts since I got my BH200 on Friday. So far it's happened with the German Saw HD DVD and Wolf Creek HD DVD during the movies, and also during a featurette on the Hostel II BD. So far no audio dropouts - I am running audio through a Sony receiver with an optical cable.

I installed the March firmware, but my driver is 701...do I need to update the driver in order to rid the machine of all the bugs? The video dropouts are very brief and sporadic, but enough to be slightly annoying. Seems to be more of an issue with HD DVD though. Is anyone else experiencing video dropouts with the March firmware?

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #278 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post

I have experienced several video dropouts since I got my BH200 on Friday. So far it's happened with the German Saw HD DVD and Wolf Creek HD DVD during the movies, and also during a featurette on the Hostel II BD. So far no audio dropouts - I am running audio through a Sony receiver with an optical cable.

I installed the March firmware, but my driver is 701...do I need to update the driver in order to rid the machine of all the bugs? The video dropouts are very brief and sporadic, but enough to be slightly annoying. Seems to be more of an issue with HD DVD though. Is anyone else experiencing video dropouts with the March firmware?

negative on audio or video dropouts. You might want to try driver 702. I don't have the particular HD DVD's you mention, but i have watched a fair amount from both formats with no issues (besides the Terminator 2 french import bug thats arleady listed at the beginning of the thread)
post #279 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 AM

Not to derail the current discussion but had a BR problem with by BH 200 last night and curious to see if someone could please help me figure it out, please. My BH200 is connect to a Lex MC12B. I usually have no problem getting DD 5.1 via the spdif. Obviously, the unit is older and will not do newer codec. The problem last night, watching 30 days of night, I could not get the lex to do 5.1 on the movie. It ran on the previews fine but when the main feature started not luck,just prologic. I am on pass thru on my outputs. In audio set up for the disc, there is only DD True HD. Thanks
post #280 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 PM

RShlansky:

Dolby TrueHD was a sore point with the BH200 prior to the March firmware update as all output options resulted in 2-channel sound. SPDIF, HDMI, pass-thru, re-encode, etc. Major problem really, given Sony's recent titles where English is in TrueHD only...

March firmware changed all that. Multi-channel sound from Dolby TrueHD...except for one combination. Even with the March firmware, SPDIF Primary Pass-thru is limited to PCM2.0 for Dolby TrueHD tracks.

To get 5.1 sound over SPDIF from Dolby TrueHD tracks, you have to select "SPDIF DTS Re-encode" (March firmware only).

Question is, does your receiver handle DTS?
post #281 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 04:26 PM

I am going to turn off 1080p Film Mode and see if that helps with the video dropouts. I think someone mentioned here that it would. Will report back later...

post #282 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I don't think it really means anything, not when you can upgrade the firmware anyway.

You say all DD+ works fine then say there is a problem? You say it's a bug in the March firmware then blame the Receiver?

Please explain, thanks.

Has this DD+ issue been reported to LG? Hopefully they can fix it for the official re-release of the March firmware in May.

I am Legend has TrueHD or DD+/DD5.1 depending if it's the HD-DVD or BD. Only TrueHD is available on the Alternate Cut. AFAIK Warner always include both when they include TrueHD, unlike Sony who only include TrueHD

Read: all DD+ works fine ON MY DENONS 3808/4308. I was just commenting on those with receivers that are NOT Denons that are having problems with DD+. I am not "blaming any receivers," just SPECULATING LG wrote that driver using the Denons.

Do I know if this supposed problem has been reported to LG? Don't have a clue. I doubt that i could get through to a high level engineer at LG to find out if this "bug" is a problem with other specific receivers (lowly end user) There was some reason LG withdrew the March driver, and I am just guessing that this action was a result of a communication problem between LG and (some) receivers.

All that really matters is that LG can provide a solution to DD+ to those who long to have the luxury of bitstreamed passthrough of the high definition audio formats for decoding by the receiver. I think that I have that now with my 3808/4308 .. at least for now. If I find a disk that herniates (3808/4308) on one of the high definition audio formats, I will report it here immediately.

I would love to know, out of intense curiosity, the true reason why LG withdrew that driver.
post #283 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 PM

I am using a Lexicon 12B which does decode DTS. I tried your suggestion with the March update and I do get DTS 5.1 as DTS Logic 7 5.1. The two questions that I have, do I need to switch this back and forth so if I have a DD 5.1 then I switch back to pass thru and if I have DD True HD switch to DTS re-encode. Also, will this get switched in the future. Do any other players convert True HD to 5.1. I do have Logic 7 which gives me synthesized 7.1.
post #284 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

Well, I called into Onkyo Service, right after posting and no offense to Onkyo, but the gentleman I dealt with, didn't really seem so 'with it'. Anyway, after about 40 minutes, we figured out that I need the firmware update, so I'll have to haul it in on Tuesday and pick it up two days later. I called and they said that would be the time it would take

I do have an old Onkyo TX-SR474 unit that I could use, but it showed its age about 5 years ago, so I probably wont even bother to hook that up. Hopefully that solves my messed up decoding situation. Good luck on your end, XBRSteve.

Slightly off topic.......... I love that scene, especially when the spring comes flying at you with the suttle BOINNGGGGG!

V10 TDI Touareg FTW!!!
post #285 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM

I switched off the 1080p Film Mode and watched Saw and most of Wolf Creek. I didn't notice any video dropouts...and the problems I had with the menus on Wolf Creek and Feast are now gone. It seems that 1080p/24 may be an issue with LG's March firmware. I wonder if that's why it was pulled from their website.

post #286 of 2819 Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM

Oops...I spoke too soon. I just popped in Wolf Creek again and now the main menu works, but the graphics and music were missing. I also noticed that the Dimension logo was choppy and another video dropout happened at the beginning of the movie. I think more work needs to be done to perfect this player.

post #287 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShlansky View Post

I am using a Lexicon 12B which does decode DTS. I tried your suggestion with the March update and I do get DTS 5.1 as DTS Logic 7 5.1. The two questions that I have, do I need to switch this back and forth so if I have a DD 5.1 then I switch back to pass thru and if I have DD True HD switch to DTS re-encode. Also, will this get switched in the future. Do any other players convert True HD to 5.1. I do have Logic 7 which gives me synthesized 7.1.

No need to switch back and forth. Our BH200 / receiver connection is over SPDIF, and we just leave the player on SPDIF DTS Re-encode. Check the audio table in the manual on page 36. Some of that info is now out of date with the March firmware, but the SPDIF DTS Re-encode column looks accurate: every audio track on a BD or HD DVD disc ends up as DTS, which is as good as we can get over SPDIF.

Only time we had to switch away was for Sunshine with the previous firmware. We rented Sunshine to see how well the BH200 handled a Profile 1.1 disc, and it was an interesting experience. According to a review, it has IME for 17 minutes. Well, with DTS re-encode, the IME audio was mixed with the main track, whether the IME was displayed or not. The only way to silence the IME audio was to select SPDIF Primary Pass-thru (IME audio never comes through with Primary Pass-thru as it's on a secondary encoder). Then to avoid the stuttering and such, we selected the Dolby Digital track.

Not sure if any/all of that would be necessary with the March firmware as we only rented Sunshine (good movie, but I don't really feel like renting it solely to test this issue).

Ironically, Sunshine was a DTS-HD MA encode. Should have been quite simple to pull the DTS "core" and send that out as DTS.

Anyway, there's no need to switch back and forth outside of disc problems. If your BH200 is connected via SPDIF, and your receiver can decode DTS, then leave it as SPDIF DTS Re-encode.
post #288 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read: all DD+ works fine ON MY DENONS 3808/4308. I was just commenting on those with receivers that are NOT Denons that are having problems with DD+. I am not "blaming any receivers," just SPECULATING LG wrote that driver using the Denons.

I did read, hence why I asked. Didn't anyone tell you sarcasm is not a healthy form of wit

Thanks for the clarification btw.
post #289 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM

I just purchased the LG BH200 about a week ago. Updated it to the March firmware as soon as I took it out of the box. I use it with my Onkyo TX-SR605 and I have yet to experience an issue. I purchased my 605 about 2 months ago. When I registered it online it said I did not require a firmware update. So far so good, "knock on wood".

I've tested:

HD DVD:
Eastern Promises - TrueHD
Bourne Ultimatum - TrueHD
Batman Begins - TrueHD

Blu-ray:
Live Free / Die Hard - DTS-HD MA
2008 DTS-HD MA Demo Disc
Ratatouille
Spiderman 3
Pirates 1 & 3

EDIT: I use HDMI 1.3 cables and always bitstream
post #290 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 PM

Does anyone know whether the drop-outs are a hardware problem for which LG is telling them to return the unit, or is it an HDMI handshake thing that has a chance of being fixed in firmware?

Someone posted that they spoke to LG, and LG replaced the main board for them and that seemed to fix the drop-outs for them.

Should anyone with dropouts be returning their player because of a hardware fault, or is this issue actually workable being worked by LG? (as hinted by one of their technicians)....

Thanks,
Stuart
post #291 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post

I just purchased the LG BH200 about a week ago. Updated it to the March firmware as soon as I took it out of the box. I use it with my Onkyo TX-SR605 and I have yet to experience an issue. I purchased my 605 about 2 months ago. When I registered it online it said I did not require a firmware update. So far so good, "knock on wood".

I've tested:

HD DVD:
Eastern Promises - TrueHD
Bourne Ultimatum - TrueHD
Batman Begins - TrueHD

Blu-ray:
Live Free / Die Hard - DTS-HD MA
2008 DTS-HD MA Demo Disc
Ratatouille
Spiderman 3
Pirates 1 & 3

EDIT: I use HDMI 1.3 cables and always bitstream

The issues seem to be mostly related to bitstream DD+. There are plenty of HD DVD out there contain only DD+ track, e.g. Transformers. Your testing of HD DVD is TrueHD only.
post #292 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Does anyone know whether the drop-outs are a hardware problem for which LG is telling them to return the unit, or is it an HDMI handshake thing that has a chance of being fixed in firmware?

Someone posted that they spoke to LG, and LG replaced the main board for them and that seemed to fix the drop-outs for them.

Should anyone with dropouts be returning their player because of a hardware fault, or is this issue actually workable being worked by LG? (as hinted by one of their technicians)....

Thanks,
Stuart

After sending my unit back and talking with the repair center (they called me) it was definitely a firmware issue. He did replace the main board for me but said he could not replicate the problem. Since the firmware update, I get some dropouts on boot up but once the movie is playing no dropouts occur. I was having noticable dropouts after updating the driver to 702 but then reloaded the March firmware update and all was fixed with video dropouts. However I still have the HD DVD DD+ problem.... oh well...
post #293 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

After sending my unit back and talking with the repair center (they called me) it was definitely a firmware issue. He did replace the main board for me but said he could not replicate the problem. Since the firmware update, I get some dropouts on boot up but once the movie is playing no dropouts occur. I was having noticable dropouts after updating the driver to 702 but then reloaded the March firmware update and all was fixed with video dropouts. However I still have the HD DVD DD+ problem.... oh well...

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say dropouts "on boot-up".

Do you mean drop-outs during the initial "LG logo/progress meter" or during boot-ups of discs?

I have the March firmware update, but never bothered updating the driver to 702.

I just got off the phone with LG Canada, and he suggested I exchange the unit stating that the repair numbers on these models are low (ie: if it was happening on all units, the numbers would be up) but I'm very skeptical that exchanging it is going to fix anything...
post #294 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

I was having noticable dropouts after updating the driver to 702 but then reloaded the March firmware update and all was fixed with video dropouts. However I still have the HD DVD DD+ problem.... oh well...

You know, other people have reported that re-flashing the march update has fixed this problem too. People have attributed it to going to the 702 driver, but maybe the driver has nothing to do with it.

I wonder if something is corrupting the firmware over time, and re-flashing is fixing it. Sounds odd, I know, but I work in high-tech and have seem some really strange things...

Maybe I should try re-flashing it and see if it clears up my problems. It seems like with the latest firmware, everybody thought the dropouts were fixed, but they seem like they've crept back.
post #295 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM

Just something I've noticed (with march fw)....

With all the glitches I've had with various discs, I've had zero with universal discs. Most have been with HDDVD imports. I've also never experience any drop-outs of any kind.
post #296 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say dropouts "on boot-up".

Do you mean drop-outs during the initial "LG logo/progress meter" or during boot-ups of discs?

I have the March firmware update, but never bothered updating the driver to 702.

I just got off the phone with LG Canada, and he suggested I exchange the unit stating that the repair numbers on these models are low (ie: if it was happening on all units, the numbers would be up) but I'm very skeptical that exchanging it is going to fix anything...

Yep I get dropouts on the LG logo progress meter and also on the LG main screen, but after the movie starts no dropouts...
post #297 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Sometimes I don't hear the English (or German) DTS HD Master Audio sound track after inserting and playing a disc, happend to me with the Leage of the Extraordinary Gentlemen Blu-ray (DTS HD Master Audio 5.1) and with the "Der Geist von Mae Nak" German HD DVD (DTS HD Master Audio 7.1). I could not hear a sound during the 20th Century fox logo animation and when the movie started. The Receiver did not show DTS HD Audio MSTR either. But when I switch through the available sound options it seems to fix it and the English soundtrack is available for playback.

A bit weird but it does not do any harm since playing back the movie was fine. Maybe a hickup in the negotiation while the disc initializes in the player.

Did anyone notice that the Open Season US Blu-ray actually outputs 3/4/.1 sound? The movie should only be English 5.1 PCM uncompressed, yet my Denon 4308 showed me 3/4/.1 sound and I had a + PLII+ in the display together with some Dolby +.
post #298 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

RShlansky:

Dolby TrueHD was a sore point with the BH200 prior to the March firmware update as all output options resulted in 2-channel sound. SPDIF, HDMI, pass-thru, re-encode, etc. Major problem really, given Sony's recent titles where English is in TrueHD only...

March firmware changed all that. Multi-channel sound from Dolby TrueHD...except for one combination. Even with the March firmware, SPDIF Primary Pass-thru is limited to PCM2.0 for Dolby TrueHD tracks.

To get 5.1 sound over SPDIF from Dolby TrueHD tracks, you have to select "SPDIF DTS Re-encode" (March firmware only).

Question is, does your receiver handle DTS?

BIG DISAPOINTMENT....

Having imported a LG200 to Norway based on the discussion in this tread the actual connection to my Denon 4306 (HDMI 1.1 compatible reciver capable of reciving multichannel LPCM up to 7.1 cannels (confirmed from PS3 and Thosiba EP35) was a BIG BIG disapointment!

After the firmware utdate still no multichanel LPCM from the player... Only 2 channel... This both for DD+ and Dolby True HD and DTS Master audio. I have tried all the settings in the audio menu and still only 2 chanels of LPCM.

Please update the first post so no one else does this mistake.... The player does NOT convert these formats internally to multchanel LPCM in the last (Now unofficial) firmware....
post #299 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Heja,

I have had my BH200 for less than a week and I am getting multichannel PCM from HDMI just fine since the March update.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #300 of 2819 Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 PM

Yeah, pretty sure quite a few others have reported that multi-channel PCM is now output from the BH200 over HDMI. Something must not be selected properly as DD+ has always been multi-channel (i.e. that's not a new feature of the March firmware).

Heja:
You mentioned trying all the options, but I just want to make sure. First, ignore the SPDIF audio options in the menu since you're using HDMI. Then, given the capabilities of your receiver, you should select:

"HDMI - PCM Multi Ch"

Symptoms indicate that perhaps the HDMI output is set to "PCM Stereo."

Also, take a look at page 36 of the manual. The tables are no longer 100% accurate given the new capabilities of the March firmware. In particular, the HDMI - Primary Pass-thru columns are no longer close to accurate. However, the HDMI Out - PCM Multi-Ch column has only one change--Dolby TrueHD. Everything else was already multi-channel, including DD+. That again indicates something isn't quite configured properly.

Take another look at the configuration options. It should work... In theory anyway. Good luck.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page