LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A voltage mod is unlikely. LG ship these players with two different PSUs, one is 110V only, the other is 100-250V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't realise they went as far as providing different PSUs. I know of at least one Panasonic BD Player which just has a different transistor attached to the Main Board (which is about 1.5mm long).

I'm no expert on this though. Interesting a European model will work in The States. I guess the European model does need to be 100-250v as it could be sold anywhere world-wide except for North America, hence why it supports both NTSC and PAL. I guess North America being so populated (and people can generally afford them) they can afford to make two versions.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

0702 Driver Update:

Samsungmaster has kindly e-mailed me the 0702 Driver.

I have uploaded this to Mega Upload and included it in the first post, it should make it easier to upgrade the BH200 than over Ethernet. You should just need to put the file on to the root of a CD/DVD/USB Stick but if you get stuck please read the enclosed Instructions.doc.

Make sure the ROM file is 1,257,962 bytes before transferring it to the CD/DVD/USB Stick.

Here is the relevant PM:
Quote:

0702 driver fixes issues with Saw IV, Hitman and Enchanted on Bluray.

It should be recognised automatically when you put the usb stick in. You can use this on European models. 0702 is the first version to be released as a fix.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM

Cool. Glad to know what it actually fixes. Thanks Samsungmaster!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I asked Samsungmaster what prior versions fixed, he didn't know.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I asked Samsungmaster what prior versions fixed, he didn't know.

Does he know any details of when the March beta-firmware might be officially released and whether LG has made any headway on the video dropouts?

A while back, an LG engineer (I think his nickname was something like osofast) posted in one of these threads (possibly this one) saying that he was looking into the dropouts.

It would be awesome if they could throw us a small progress report...

I love my unit, but intermittent video dropouts really suck (and I actually exchanged my unit at the advice of LG Canada, but the replacement unit does the same thing). It seems like something so basic... of all my video-related components (cable box, xbox, SD dvd player) the LG is the only unit that does these video dropouts. That being said, only my LG and my cable box are connected via HDMI, but my cable box doesn't drop out... never once.

The dropouts aren't terrible, but they're really annoying, and video-related products should establish/maintain a stable video connection. That should go without saying. I guess based on that, you could say they are terrible.

Sigh...

Have I rambled enough? Sorry (frustrated).
Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Does he know any details of when the March beta-firmware might be officially released

I asked and he said May was the last he heard. I don't think he knows much more on this front than we do. To be fair it's LG Korea who decide when to release it and when to upload it to the website.

Quote:

and whether LG has made any headway on the video dropouts?

I'd like to know that and audio drop outs. I'll PM him asking if he can comment.

Quote:

A while back, an LG engineer (I think his nickname was something like osofast) posted in one of these threads (possibly this one) saying that he was looking into the dropouts.

osofast35801 to be precise.

It was in the Owners Thread and you're right he did say he was looking into drop outs (video or audio it doesn't say). I'd forgotten about that. The link can be found in the first post of this thread (under Miscellaneous) but here it is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13280409

Quote:

That being said, only my LG and my cable box are connected via HDMI, but my cable box doesn't drop out... never once.

To be fair they are very different pieces of kit. I know you were just making a general statement.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 PM

On a related note, our A3 wasn't completely immune from video drop outs. They were rare, but the video did drop a few times for about a second with our A3 (video went to "snow", but not just grey, there was some colour in there). Upon rewinding and playing the scene again, the video was fine. Perhaps the HDMI handshake was temporarily lost. Similar "snow" picture has happened with our BH200. Again, only rarely. I'd be quite frustrated if it was happening as frequently as some others have experienced.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 AM

Audio/video dropouts happen for a number of reasons. BD+ is a major reason, for those who do not know this is can read this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD%2B.

Different brands of equipment especially when connected via HDMI. The BH200 is rock solid when you use a LG TV but when connected to a different brand audio/video dropouts and handshake issues. But the same can be said for a Samsung/Sony Bluray player when connected to a LG TV, they have issues also. Basically all manufactuers have to release firmware to fix these issues.

There are a number of other reasons but keep in mind Bluray is still in its infancy. It is not a perfect product yet. The hardware manufacturers take a lot of heat for the issues but the people who write the software for the disc need to be held accountable also. But in the end it is up to the hardware manufactuers to release firmware since the disc are printed and it's not like they are going to recall their product so they can fix some code. Sorry for the rant but this is how it works.

We all know computers will need software/driver updates to fix issues we are now at that point in consumer electronics where the same thing will need to be done.

Life is Good
Old 04-09-2008, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Personally speaking I'd like the Audio Dropouts, Video Dropouts and Disc compatibility problems fixed before Lossless Audio support, however I'm confident these are much trickier to fix 100%.

I'd imagine LG are working on them though. Can I suggest you pop osofast35801 a PM. That's the exact name of his handle, you never know he may reply. If he does please let us know.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

Audio/video dropouts happen for a number of reasons. BD+ is a major reason, for those who do not know this is can read this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD%2B.

Different brands of equipment especially when connected via HDMI. The BH200 is rock solid when you use a LG TV but when connected to a different brand audio/video dropouts and handshake issues. But the same can be said for a Samsung/Sony Bluray player when connected to a LG TV, they have issues also. Basically all manufactuers have to release firmware to fix these issues.

There are a number of other reasons but keep in mind Bluray is still in its infancy. It is not a perfect product yet. The hardware manufacturers take a lot of heat for the issues but the people who write the software for the disc need to be held accountable also. But in the end it is up to the hardware manufactuers to release firmware since the disc are printed and it's not like they are going to recall their product so they can fix some code. Sorry for the rant but this is how it works.

We all know computers will need software/driver updates to fix issues we are now at that point in consumer electronics where the same thing will need to be done.

Hi,

Before I start, thanks for coming to the "frontlines" like this and responding.

So can I take from this that LG is working on the dropout issues with other vendor's display devices? I called LG Canada support, and they told me they hadn't heard of the problem and suggested I exchange my BH200 if I could. Given that someone from LG called osofast35801 posted in this thread acknowledging the dropouts, it was frustrating being turned away by LG support like that.

I'm guessing in my case, it's just an HDMI handshake issue (my BH200 is connected to a Sony kds55a2020 tv). I've gotten dropouts during bootup, listening to music off a USB fob drive through the "home" menu and while watching HD-DVD movies, so I'd say that (hopefully) rules out BD+.

I understand what you're saying about hardware manufacturers taking the heat for disc-specific software issues, but since I (and others) are experiencing dropouts when not even viewing discs, that kind of rules that aspect out...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Personally speaking I'd like the Audio Dropouts, Video Dropouts and Disc compatibility problems fixed before Lossless Audio support, however I'm confident these are much trickier to fix 100%.

I'd imagine LG are working on them though. Can I suggest you pop osofast35801 a PM. That's the exact name of his handle, you never know he may reply. If he does please let us know.

Hi,

I sent him a PM, but looking at his profile, he's only posted 2 times... either he just basically lurks, or he doesn't spend much time on here (unlike us
Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1st Line support desks are infamous for not knowing a thing. It sucks, but it's true.

Hopefully he'll reply STPAT.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 AM

Hey bravadon,

Any chance Samsungmaster can send you 0701? I've been unable to bitstream HD DVD audio since I upgraded to 0702 and I am wondering if it's related. Bitstream works fine for BD and SD.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll ask but I don't believe so, based upon:
Quote:

0702 is the first version to be released as a fix.

There was some talk of a Factory Reset option (secondary to the main one) which may revert it back. I don't know if that's true or the BH200 even stores prior firmware/drivers.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:

1st Line support desks are infamous for not knowing a thing. It sucks, but it's true.

Hopefully he'll reply STPAT.

Trust me, I know it's to be expected. If they don't have a service bulletin, then they tend to say "this is the first we've heard of this problem."
Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soapbox Kid View Post

Any chance Samsungmaster can send you 0701? I've been unable to bitstream HD DVD audio since I upgraded to 0702 and I am wondering if it's related. Bitstream works fine for BD and SD.

Here is his response:

"Only the 0702 is available as an update. The others were revisions done in the factory during manufacturing. Everyone should update of 0702."
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM

I've been reading here for about a month, but today felt compelled to post.

I have had the BH200 since January 23, 2008, and it is connected via HDMI to the LG 60PY3D. Along with these I am using the Onkyo 705 and Polk Audio speakers. The whole system was installed by a professional (a great local guy - not a hack), not by me, so I am not positive that the video is connected directly to the LG, but I suspect so, based upon some of the behaviors. Sometimes we get video from the BH200 and audio from the cable box thru the Onkyo (strictly user error: one remote, and STILL some family members can't operate it). This is what makes me think the signal goes directly from player to the tv.

On to the reason for my post.I am sorry to report that Samsungmaster's comment that the BH200 is rock solid when connected to an LG tv seems to be untrue.in at least one case! Sorry! I, too, am experiencing the video dropouts that everyone speaks about; since I've had the system such a short time, I can't say if it would have happened eventually, but I can state that it did not happen at all prior to the Jan. firmware. I'd watched about 40 movies since the getting this player, DVD, HD, and BD, all without issue. Watching Bourne Supremacy on HD DVD recently, suddenly the screen flashed black, twice within a one-second time span, at about 1:26:00. There was no audio loss. It also happened on Stardust (BD). Like everyone else, I rewound, and on replay, the problem was not reproduced in either case.

I updated the firmware (from 1119R) a couple of weeks back in an attempt to solve a different issue (later found to be unrelated to the BH200). The driver has not been updated, and I *think* it is 700, but can't swear to it. I've got 702 now and will likely update it this week.

I don't recall reading about anyone else using an LG display with this player, so I thought I'd weigh in. I had no problems with some of the other "problem" discs referenced elsewhere, but will go back and restest now that I am using Jan FW.

You all have been a fantastic reference for me in the past few weeks, I appreciate the fact that everyone has shared so much detailed information.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Binx for sharing your experience. What discs worked for you which didn't for others?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Of those reported in the other thread, these worked fine for me:

No Country for Old Men USA BD
Gone Baby Gone USA BD
King Kong USA HD

The others, I have not watched.

The Pianist HD is coming in the mail shortly, I will report accordingly.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx77 View Post

No Country for Old Men USA BD
Gone Baby Gone USA BD

Thanks again Binx.

Both these discs seem to be related to Profile 1.1 or similar as far as their problems go, others too have reported no issues. I think I'll remove them from the list.

Quote:

King Kong USA HD
The Pianist HD

I'm going to presume you mean King Kong 1976. The issue with that disc affects all Studio Canal HD-DVDs (i.e - Kong Kong 1976 in Europe/Australasia) but it only affects the March firmware, not January firmware I see you're running.

I presume you mean the Studio Canal HD-DVD for The Pianist from Europe/Australasia not the American Universal HD-DVD, which is a different disc and no one has reported problems with. Presuming you mean the Studio Canal version I'd imagine that will work for you too, as you're running the January firmware.

Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Here is his response:

"Only the 0702 is available as an update. The others were revisions done in the factory during manufacturing. Everyone should update of 0702."

Thanks Bradavon.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome.

Oh dear, I'm turning American . Next I'll be saying Y'all
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Brad,
You are quite right on both counts. The Pianist is actually coming from a friend in France, it would not play for him, so he is passing it on, as it were.

I do wonder if the dropouts are a different issue entirely from the problems reported with the menus or with discs not playing at all? Since those issues are generally random and the menu probs are consistent, it would seem so.

Don't worry, not all Americans say "y'all"... certainly not those of us in the north who could somewhat rightfully be called "Yanks."

Cheers
Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM

Thanks a million for all your great efforts here. I connected my lan connection and really haven`t had the time to get it to work. So I used the meagaupload link and a USB key and now have driver 702. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!

Western Canada
Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caanda45 View Post

So I used the meagaupload link and a USB key and now have driver 702.

I've not used it myself. What happened when you put the USB Stick in? I presume some type of message appeared and it started to update.

No worries. Glad I could help. Most of the thanks needs to go to Samsungmaster for kindly e-mailing it to me though. I then made it available online. I heard it was tricky to get it download over Ethernet so having a download link is handy.

Why LG Korea haven't put it on their website is anyone's guess.

Quote:

Don't worry, not all Americans say "y'all"... certainly not those of us in the north who could somewhat rightfully be called "Yanks."

He he touché, you're observant. Y'all has always struck me as a rather odd abbreviation, we have some dumb ones too: guesstimate comes to mind and recently chillax, oh please!

Thanks for the rest of your post/info.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
chillax

?!?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chill + Relax.

I know, lazy English by the highest order. It's especially stupid when Chill and Relax essentially mean the same thing anyway.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

I experienced my first anomaly with the BH200 last night, while loading Bourne Ultimatum in HD-DVD.

Popped in the disk and noticed it was taking a very long time to load. Looked over and the unit had completely powered itself off. Pushed the Power button on the remote... Waited... Now the unit locks up while loading the Java code. Ooo Kay...

Pulled the disk out completely... Unplugged the unit... Plug it back in ...and then... Everything works fine all of a sudden! The disk loaded quickly and played through to the end with no problems whatsoever.

Anyone have a similar experience?

A_C

[April firmware (beta) w/702 driver]

Manhattan Supremacist
Old 04-10-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You mean March Beta firmware right?