LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 2819 Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soapbox Kid View Post

The PS3 decodes onboard because it is not technologically capable of bitstreaming HDM codecs.

True. I was just saying, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason I gave is another reason why Sony decided to do it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caanda45 View Post

just played the Dream Girls in Dolby Digital + and it sucks!!!

Don't say that. I love that film. Be thankful you bought the HD-DVD because the BD sounds worse. The HD-DVD has Full-rate DD+ (1.5Mbps) but the BD only has DD5.1 @ 640Kbps.

I own the HD-DVD too. Isn't it funny that only a few years ago we all thought Full-rate DTS on DVDs was amazing (which should sound the same as Full-rate DD+) but today it's considered poor. Times move on.

Quote:

I have not compared it to Dolby True HD(is it sonically the same as DTS HD MA?)

It should sound identical, presuming the master they used was the same. In other words the audio master tends to be the same if it's a disc with both PCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, so it should sound identical.

If however, another studio used a better master for their release of the same film (maybe they've remastered it) then one could sound better than the other. That's obviously because of the Master used not the resultant Format. An example of this is the Hong Kong BD Flash Point which has PCM and DTS-HD MA, but it's thought they used different Masters as the PCM sounds much bassier (actually too bassy). You can read the review here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1286/flashpoint_hk.html

Apparently in this case the DTS Legacy Core actually sounds better to the PCM.

PCM is a RAW Uncompressed Lossless Format, both DTS-HD MA and TrueHD are the same PCM audio just encoded first (which results in a lot less space being used), but when all three are uncompressed they're all bit for bit identical.

If you want an in-depth answer, read this excellent article:

Uncompressed (PCM) vs. Lossless Audio (Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 2819 Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Liked: 18
ok...ok... I just tried to update my firmware and I just get "No updates at this time...you have the latest version". Do I have to manually update with cd/usb??????

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #513 of 2819 Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes. I don't think LG have actually sent Firmware over Ethernet yet, just the Driver (i.e - 0702). As they've not done that, your BH200 won't be able to find the new April firmware to download it. It's odd they haven't, when the Service Site has a PDF for upgrading over Ethernet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the April Firmware: What's the verdict on the USA Sunshine BD? Does it generally work for most or generally not work?

I see the Samsung BD-UP5000 has an issue with it, what about the LG BH200?
post #514 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 12:09 AM

Considering LG included a PDF complete with instructions for updating over the Internet, it should be possible (presuming you already have the March firmware). Of course that hinges on whether the update file is available on their update site. Maybe it takes a couple days after posting to the website.

That said, given the size of the firmware file, I'd rather go the USB route (or even disc) instead of network. Could be my imagination, but network update seems like it would have a greater chance of corruption simply because of the time involved the download the file over the net vs. from a USB stick.
post #515 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you have a decent Broadband speed, it shouldn't take long to download the firmware to the Player. I'd rather go the USB Stick/CD/DVD route too though.

Officially the April firmware is the only one that can be updated online. There isn't much point putting the April firmware online when users of the November/January firmware won't be able to see it, and the March firmware isn't supposed to exist (outside of the labs). I bet that's why the March firmware Players don't find it.

I bet LG are getting themselves ready for the next firmware.
post #516 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 AM

I am not sure how this thread rating works on this site. I have rated this thread a solid 5 stars, but I do not see it at all.

No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.
post #517 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'm glad we/I can help.

I do find it interesting how you usually find fans provide better and more useful information on forums than the source company can ever seem to manage.
post #518 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I do find it interesting how you usually find fans provide better and more useful information on forums than the source company can ever seem to manage.

This is true. It's called crowdsourcing.
post #519 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonjava View Post

I am not sure how this thread rating works on this site. I have rated this thread a solid 5 stars, but I do not see it at all.

I would assume a minimum amount of people have to vote. I'm going to vote now, although rest assured, nikonjava... Everyone knows how great this thread is and how much bradavon does to keep it up to date.

**EDIT: Looks like that last vote did it... We are now rated
post #520 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again guys.

Orangekid has kindly uploaded the April firmware to his website (like he did for the March firmware). If you're having trouble downloading it from the somewhat complicatedly laid out LG Service sites, it can be downloaded there.

I've put the link in the first post.
post #521 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

Everyone knows how great this thread is and how much bradavon does to keep it up to date.

I agree 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

Looks like that last vote did it... We are now rated

Hooray!

No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.
post #522 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the March firmware is the April one better or just the same?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #523 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's Official and looking like it's virtually the same. I say virtually as the size of the ROM files is slightly different so it cannot be the same update exactly and there must be a valid reason why it was delayed for a month.

As it's Official and offers the same functionality the March one does I'd definitely upgrade. Official in my opinion means a lot. We do know it fix the March firmware has an issue with HD-DVDs released by Studio Canal, other than that I'm not sure how it exactly differs.
post #524 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 PM

Liked: 18
April firmware fixed menu flicker in POC: At worlds End. It also seems that some HD DVD load faster.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #525 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

April firmware fixed menu flicker in POC: At worlds End. It also seems that some HD DVD load faster.

I also concur that the load is a lot faster and the flicker is gone.

Western Canada
post #526 of 2819 Old 04-18-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:

As it's Official and offers the same functionality the March one does I'd definitely upgrade. Official in my opinion means a lot. We do know it fix the March firmware has an issue with HD-DVDs released by Studio Canal, other than that I'm not sure how it exactly differs.

Well, the March one was official too...at least as long as it was posted.

Seriously though, upgrading to the April version makes sense as it's the most recently posted firmware on LG's site. Next to that is the January version. Plus, as mentioned, it has fixes for some discs that gave March firmware trouble. So, it's worth the upgrade.
post #527 of 2819 Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think it was ever official. The March firmware was listed with a January firmware version number and it's Change Log was for the January firmware.

My guess is LG intended to release the January firmware and as they always used to use the same ZIP file name I bet someone picked the wrong folder when choosing which firmware to upload (March instead of January). In a few days they realised this and quickly replaced it.

I bet that's why the new firmware has the date in the ZIP file name. Someone definitely stuffed up at LG but of course once the firmware is out there they cannot take it back.
post #528 of 2819 Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I will install it today.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #529 of 2819 Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:

I bet that's why the new firmware has the date in the ZIP file name. Someone definitely stuffed up at LG but of course once the firmware is out there they cannot take it back.

bradavon: Well, I did have a smiley on my post (was mostly just having a bit of fun with the "official" designation). BTW, I agree that LG probably didn't intend to release the March firmware. However, March *was* posted on LG's website. Exactly where April is now.

All we know is, April is the most recent BH200 firmware currently posted.
post #530 of 2819 Old 04-19-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't being all serious with my post too .
post #531 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 08:09 AM

I've had the BH200 since January. Purchased it online along with the HD-DVD set of BSG Season 1. Everything has been fine with it up until last night. Had some friends over to watch some movies. I had rented "We Own the Night" and "30 Days of Night" on BluRay from Netflix.

Popped them in the LG and could NOT get my Denon AVR-4806 to see anything but 2 chnl audio. I was ready to poke my eyes out (not literally....). I didn't build a 27x18 room equipped with a full blown 7.1, 10ft screen, shaking platform, hi-def theater to watch a movie in stereo !

First thing this AM I started searching around and found this thread with the latest SW update which specifically seemed to address the issue when a disc does not have a specific DD+ soundtrack. I stuck my USB drive in to the BH200, uploaded the new SW, rebooted and switched the Audio setting to DTS re-encode and now the TrueHD was re-encoded to a 5.1 format my 4806 can recognize!

Should I just leave it in DTS Re-encode for any disc I put in the player (HD-DVD, BluRay, DVD) ?

Anyway, I'm SOOOO happy knowing that I don't have to upgrade my frig'n 4806. I am so thoroughly satisfied with this receiver. I definitely didn't want to start looking for a replacement, at least not in the immediate futere

See the Supercharged 10second II here :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See the ConcreteBunker Build w/8x18" IB subs here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #532 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 AM

How does one know once connected the Lan it is working or not. On boot up I get the little world icon on just above the Super-blu for a few seconds. Does that mean it is connected to the Net and working?

Western Canada
post #533 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone having a problem going from the March to April firmware?

I have burned a CD and DVD with the April firmware and the BH200 will not run the update. It only see's the CD or DVD as a data disk.

I can put my old March CD in and that one still runs fine.

I have even used Active ISO to burn the image.

Strange...

Later

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #534 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

Should I just leave it in DTS Re-encode for any disc I put in the player (HD-DVD, BluRay, DVD) ?

Anyway, I'm SOOOO happy knowing that I don't have to upgrade my frig'n 4806. I am so thoroughly satisfied with this receiver. I definitely didn't want to start looking for a replacement, at least not in the immediate futere

Why wouldn't you set the BH200to PCM Multi-Ch? That does proper onboard decoding of all next gen codecs except dts-HD MA which will be sent over your HDMI connection as dts (core).
post #535 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

I have burned a CD and DVD with the April firmware and the BH200 will not run the update. It only see's the CD or DVD as a data disk.

Strange...

Later

Worked smoothly for me but I did not use a disc I used a USB flash drive.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #536 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 PM

liltalkm:
You mentioned burning an image...don't do that. Just make it as a data disc (as though you were backing up some files, or putting family photos onto a CD). Make sure the ROM file is in the root folder of the disc.

Unlike the Toshiba firmware updates, you should be able to browse the contents of the disc on your computer. If the file is there, and in the root, you should be set. Just read through the PDF instructions and you should be fine.

That said, if you have a USB stick kicking around, that method seems the easiest.
post #537 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How does one know once connected the Lan it is working or not. On boot up I get the little world icon on just above the Super-blu for a few seconds. Does that mean it is connected to the Net and working?

I have found that the globe icon does not guarantee that the connection is established. If you navigate to one of the Network options, IP Mode I think, you will see a graphic indicating LAN status. Red circle with a slash through it obviously means no connection. With my setup I always have to go into the menu, and toggle IP Mode to get the player to link up. Have not installed the 2 April f/w yet, hoping it will improve on this.
post #538 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soapbox Kid View Post

Why wouldn't you set the BH200to PCM Multi-Ch? That does proper onboard decoding of all next gen codecs except dts-HD MA which will be sent over your HDMI connection as dts (core).

Why?...Because PCM Multi-Ch is only recognized by my 4806 as a 2 chnl source via the HDMI.

See the Supercharged 10second II here :

See the ConcreteBunker Build w/8x18" IB subs here:

post #539 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

Exactly the same situation as mine!!!!! I was going to type the exact statement after doing testing with my HD DVDs. The Bourne Ultimatium is the prime example with the menu in DD+ (which is the helicopter sound) and the movie in TrueHD (plays flawlessly).

If LG straightens this out, I promise will never contact customer support ever again!!!!

Same problem for me with my 94 elite.
post #540 of 2819 Old 04-20-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does one know once connected the Lan it is working or not. On boot up I get the little world icon on just above the Super-blu for a few seconds.

Can you connect to Web enabled content? Is there an option in the LAN/Ethernet config screen to say if the connection is active?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

Did you use the same settings when burning the March and April firmware? Is the March firmware on a CD-R or CD-RW (it shouldn't matter)? And is it the same brand of disc?

Personally I'd stick to CD-RWs. There shouldn't be any need to use a DVD. How did you burn it? I presume:

1. New or Blank CD-RW or New CD-R
2. Single Session disc, not Multi-session
3. ISO Mode 1 or Mode 2 /XA - Mode 2 is newer. I forget how they otherwise differ.
4. ISO 9660 or ISO 9660 + Joliet
5. Max of 11 Characters (8.3 Filename) - Level 1
6. ISO 9660 Standard CD Character set
7. Track at Once instead of Disc at Once
8. Finalize Disc

I would imagine numbers 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 are the important ones but I'd check all of them.

Also make sure:

1. The file size of the file LG_BH_LV221BH.ROM is 38,952,338 bytes
2. The LG_BH_LV221BH.ROM file is on the root of the disc, so it reads:

E: \\LG_BH_LV221BH.ROM (Where E is the name of your CD/DVD drive)

Make sure nothing else is on the disc.

Finally if none of that works you could try a USB Stick (formatted as FAT or FAT32 not NTFS, check via Disk Properties).

Quote:

As Oilblue says, can you clarify what you mean here? There's no need to mess around with Images or ISO files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

Why?...Because PCM Multi-Ch is only recognized by my 4806 as a 2 chnl source via the HDMI.

Isn't DTS Re-Encode designed for users with SPDIF not HDMI connections? Unless your Amp has HDMI but not HDMI 1.3, you may then need to use it.

What version of HDMI does your Amp support? Does your Amp support TrueHD? If so you don't want to be using DTS Re-Encode. You can see here what version of HDMI adds TrueHD and DTS-HD over Bitstream:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Versions

I see TrueHD Bitstream wasn't added until HDMI 1.2 and DTS-HD until 1.3. If your Amp is older than HDMI 1.2 you'll want to let it on-board decode, so it can then be sent out as PCM. DTS Re-Encode will be converting the Lossless TrueHD to Lossy DTS when you should be able to pick up the Lossless TrueHD.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page