LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2819 Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this thread is ****ing amazing. thank you to everyone who worked so hard on figuring out this hack. I picked up this player 2 weeks ago after walmart announced their refunds for the a2 machines, but only had my first time to mess around with it, yesterday. I applied the new driver, firmware and the region/pal hack (in that order) and it now plays everything I can throw at it. I tried my PAL Ichi the Killer disc and it recognized it right off the bat with no problems. this is a giant step forward for this player in my opinion and relieves what little concern I might have had for it being 2.0 upgradeable. I dont even care anymore now that it can play my PAL discs. Thanks again to everyone involved in this thread and the BH100 threads, you guys are champs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2819 Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM

Well, I'm joining pobff and 'defecting' to the LG from the 5000. Well, sort of...I have two 5000s right now. One in the bedroom and one in the HT. The one from the HT will now go back to Amazon and will be replaced with the LG so I'll have one of each. With the recent price drops and the HD audio working on the LG I couldn't resist. I love the upconverting on the 5000 so I hope the Qdeo in the BH200 lives up to the REON. Honestly I don't watch much in SD anymore so it will probably be just fine for me.

My new sweatheart arrives on the 7th...here's hoping for a long an successful relationship!
post #633 of 2819 Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

I just posted this in another thread, too but wanted to confirm what bigrockies said. I got Sunshine the other day and have been meaning to share my experiences and just haven't gotten around to it until today. While I wouldn't say it worked "great" for me, it was pretty good. The video got a little buggy from time to time, but it never froze up or completely stopped working.

Thanks Casey for the update.

Would you say the video being buggy is an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

Though the PS3 will do some great stuff, but it still doesn't play my HD DVDs and I certainly don't want to use up the optics on movies when my sole purpose for it is for gaming.

I agree. That's the thing most people seem to forget when saying the mighty/overrated (pick one) PS3 is the best BD Player.

It's first a Games Console and second a BD Player. The fact it plays BDs well doesn't stop it first being a Games Console. Off the top of my head: It's noisy and completely the wrong shape for me. Why would I pay for a games controller I'm never ever going to use? I've not played computer games for year. I was really into games when I was at school but not any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstepisodeever View Post

this thread is ****ing amazing. thank you to everyone who worked so hard on figuring out this hack. I dont even care anymore now that it can play my PAL discs.

No worries. Glad we could help.

I hope LG are reading these threads so they can see how pleased people are a hack has been found to play PAL back. Hopefully it will mean next time they just leave it enabled, particularly when we've proven it's literally a few value changes to enable/disable it. For the majority of Americans who never sway away from NTSC/R1 DVDs they'll not be affected anyway.

Sadly I bet they won't change their protocol due to some bizarre and illogical ancient policy in America where PAL is simply not supported (for the most part).
post #634 of 2819 Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Thanks Casey for the update.

Would you say the video being buggy is an issue?

Well, I watched most of the movie again last night with bonus view feature enabled and it only got jittery once and none of the problems have been repeatable in the same spot twice. So, I might have a buggy version of the disk; I'm just not sure.

Until you get more feedback from others, I'd say it is a VERY minor issue at the worst.

-C.
post #635 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 04:14 AM

hi everyone,

BRAVO to everyone that made a contribution here, the result of this thead is beyond expectations.

a couple of things:

I can confirme that 402 update works fine in europe (as 702 driver update).

but, still in europe, no ethernet access !! (??)

one little thing that i find very annoying: no display dimmer or off setting. it is my only device (among over 20...) that can't do that. BOUH

maybe a hidden function !
post #636 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So am I understanding correctly that you can update the firmware via discs but the driver update has to be done via ethernet?
post #637 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 04:28 AM

I performed the driver update through CDR, not ethernet
post #638 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

Until you get more feedback from others, I'd say it is a VERY minor issue at the worst.

Thanks Casey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO-HD View Post

I can confirme that 402 update works fine in europe (as 702 driver update).

Thanks. What country do you live in?

Quote:

but, still in europe, no ethernet access !! (??)

AlfaGT (who lives in Switzerland) has said that. I presume you have the option? But it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

So am I understanding correctly that you can update the firmware via discs but the driver update has to be done via ethernet?

No, not quite:

1. Firmware: LG seem to imply can be done over Ethernet but I'm not sure this is correct/it actually works. Most update it by downloading/copying the ROM file to a CD/DVD/USB Stick.
2. Driver: Can be updated by Ethernet but also downloading/copying the ROM file to a CD/DVD/USB Stick. Someone at LG e-mailed it to me and I've put it online.

The 0702 driver can be download by looking in the first post of this thread. It is not known why it's not on LG website as it's official and was sent to me by an LG Engineer.
post #639 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 PM

bradavon,

i live in bordeaux, france.

and actually the option isn't shown... and so, it doesn't work...
post #640 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's weird. You said you're running the April firmware and 0702 driver so should see it, others do. I could understand it not working but it's odd it doesn't appear period when the firmware/driver files are the same.

Thanks btw. So to confirm the LG BH200 is easily available in France? What about the Samsung BD-UP5000 too?

It's really, really hard to get hold of in the UK. I've heard one store up North (Liverpool to be precise) as it in stock.
post #641 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 05:44 PM

it's available in france but you get really hustled...

fnac stores managed an exwclusivity with lg for the bh200 and they are selling for 999 euros !!! not even dollars !!! but with the fnac card, they give it to you for 799 euros !!! it's a shame i wanted it...

but no news about the samsung...

in french forums, lg france wrote weeks ago that they abandoned any development on the bh200 and that it will be profile 1.0 compliant only ! i'm glad, they were a bit wrong...
post #642 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

fnac stores managed an exwclusivity with lg for the bh200 and they are selling for 999 euros !!! not even dollars !!! but with the fnac card, they give it to you for 799 euros !!!

I've heard about FNAC. My god that's expensive. It's rumoured to be £500/638 hear and that store I mentioned was selling it for £799/1020. It simply wouldn't sell at that Euro price.

Quote:

in french forums, lg france wrote weeks ago that they abandoned any development on the bh200 and that it will be profile 1.0 compliant only ! i'm glad, they were a bit wrong...

That's scary.

It sounds like LG Europe have given up on it but LG USA/Canada and LG Korean haven't. It's also good the Firmware designed for USA/Canada also works on the European models.

Except for that one store I mentioned I also heard LG would only sell suppliers a minimum 30 units at a time. Which considering how unknown and how small the Combo market that is I'd be very surprised if any UK retailer would be interested in buying that many, especially on an unproven technology (i.e - unknown whether it will sell).
post #643 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 PM

Now that we know it will play all world standards, you could ask your Canadian friends to pick it up for you for only $499 Canadian

BH 200 (55 53 00 80 00 05 00 40) PAL/NTSC w.Network Update and region code hack, F/W December 08, driver 702 connected by SPDIF to Yamaha HTR 6060 and by HDMI to Toshiba Monitor 26HL84
post #644 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was that directed at me? . I don't have a Canadian friend. I may have mentioned I have an American friend though. My plan (when I can afford one) is to buy one from ********* and hope HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) doesn't force me to pay too much.
post #645 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Well, I'm Canadian....

BH 200 (55 53 00 80 00 05 00 40) PAL/NTSC w.Network Update and region code hack, F/W December 08, driver 702 connected by SPDIF to Yamaha HTR 6060 and by HDMI to Toshiba Monitor 26HL84
post #646 of 2819 Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh right, understood. Thanks that's kind of you but I'm broke.
post #647 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Dammit, little crazy koreans
Is that the reason the april-firmware is "US/Canada only" ??? Whats the point behind it? They sell the BH200 in some countrys but never will bring out a newer firmware?? So, they think they can let the european players on the pre-installed january-firmware ?? I think thats one of the dumbest things I ever saw!! Bring out a piece of hardware for a very high price and then let the customers down by not giving future support with newer firmware ??

I think it's time to make an email to LG and give them a gentle kick in the ass

So it seems it's not only a problem of mine, that I have (since updated to the april-fw) no longer access to my network. Looks, like in this point there is a difference between US and EU players-software.

Update: 60 minutes later, I finished my email (about 1 page) to LG Europe/Austria. I am looking forward to what they answer me
post #648 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 02:56 AM

lg needs a class action...
post #649 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

it's available in france but you get really hustled...

fnac stores managed an exwclusivity with lg for the bh200 and they are selling for 999 euros !!! not even dollars !!! but with the fnac card, they give it to you for 799 euros !!! it's a shame i wanted it...

but no news about the samsung...

Hi ISO-HD,

What is an FNAC card? Is it difficult to get?

Samsung have publicly stated that the UP5000 will not be released anywhere in Europe.
post #650 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 04:05 AM

it's a fidelity card and a credit card also if you want it to be...

very easy to get (in france !) if i remember well, it costs something like 15 euros for three years
post #651 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

A quick question I need to ask becasue it seems the manual is not up to date. When connected by SPDIF and using the Primary Pass Thru setting, what gets output for each of these Formats?:
True HD
PCM 5.1
PCM 7.1
post #652 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGT View Post

So it seems it's not only a problem of mine, that I have (since updated to the april-fw) no longer access to my network. Looks, like in this point there is a difference between US and EU players-software.

Maybe. Stardustone hasn't mentioned it.

For those who don't know he lives in Switzerland but has a USA Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Samsung have publicly stated that the UP5000 will not be released anywhere in Europe.

Have they? Where? I don't doubt it for a second but don't remember reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

A quick question I need to ask becasue it seems the manual is not up to date.

Have you downloaded the updated manual? Which says (page 36):

True HD - DTS if DTS Re-Encode is enabled otherwise PCM 2ch
PCM 5.1 - DTS if DTS Re-Encode is enabled otherwise PCM 2ch
PCM 7.1 - DTS if DTS Re-Encode is enabled otherwise PCM 2ch

7.1 will come out as 5.1. I'd imagine the PCM 5.1/7.1 is converted to DTS 5.1 but remember all BDs with PCM always have 640Kbps DD5.1. TrueHD 5.1 definitely comes out as DTS 5.1. That has been confirmed.

If you're a SPDIF user DTS Re-Encode is the way to go. Everything is converted to DTS except MPEG Audio which is always PCM 2ch.

I presume Dolby Digital 2.0 is converted to DTS 2.0. In fact I'm sure it would be.
post #653 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To find the latest manual, go to:

1. http://us.lgservice.com/
2. Click "Owner's Manuals" in the middle of the page
3. In the "Model No." field type "BH200" (without quotes)
4. Don't change anything else and click "Search"

You can narrow the search down further before clicking "Search" but there's no point, you'll still only find one result.
post #654 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

There should be a sensible SPDIF option. It makes no sense re-encoding PCM 2Ch and DD 5.1 to DTS over SPDIF (Just reduces quality and makes processing difficult).
post #655 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree but you shouldn't really be able to tell the difference.

DD5.1 you can choose to send out RAW if you don't want it to be converted to DTS. It may sound better though. Upscaling Audio can make it sound better like Upscaling the Picture. That is presuming it is upscaling it to DTS 1.5Mbps. It may just send it out as DTS 640Kbps, either way it shouldn't sound worse.

PCM 2Ch to DTS 2 Ch should also sound fine. Reading reports on this forum it sounds like it does a good job and doesn't struggle with the processing.
post #656 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I agree but you shouldn't really be able to tell the difference.

DD5.1 you can choose to send out RAW if you don't want it to be converted to DTS. It may sound better though. Upscaling Audio can make it sound better like Upscaling the Picture. That is presuming it is upscaling it to DTS 1.5Mbps. It may just send it out as DTS 640Kbps, either way it shouldn't sound worse.

PCM 2Ch to DTS 2 Ch should also sound fine. Reading reports on this forum it sounds like it does a good job and doesn't struggle with the processing.

Decoding DD5.1 and then encoding it as DTS 5.1 will do nothing but hurt SQ. I understand I can change the setting dependning on the Disc but you would think LG would offer an optimal setting for people using SPDIF output with a 5.1 amp.

Optimum for SPDIF would be:
Disc Audio - Output
DD 5.1 - DD 5.1
DD 2/0 - DD 2.0
DD+ 5.1+ - DD5.1 (Providing there is a DD5.1 core track)
DD+ 2.0 - PCM 2.0
DD TrueHD 5.1+ - DTS Re-encode
DD TrueHD 2.0 - PCM 2.0
DTS - DTS
DTS HD - DTS Core
PCM 2.0 - PCM 2.0
PCM 5.1+ - DTS Re-Encode
Any PIP titles with 5.1+ Audio - DTS Re-Encode
Any PIP titles with all stereo only tracks - PCM 2.0 Re-Encode
post #657 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd agree with that list but that's just the way it is.

All I know is, I am very, very pleased LG have given us what they have than what we had prior to March
post #658 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am fairly sure that PCM 2.0 is output as PCM 2.0 over SPDIF even with DTS-Recode on. I hooked up a USB Flash drive and played some files, my receiver lit up the PCM light. As soon as I switched to a movie and played DTS 5.1, the PCM went out.

MEC2
post #659 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting. That would contradict what the manual says but I did think it was illogical to convert PCM to DTS, or DD for that matter.
post #660 of 2819 Old 05-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Krobar, it's not as bad as you think. DTS Re-encode is only active for "advanced content" hi-def discs. From the manual:
Quote:
If the [HDMI] or [SPDIF] option is set to [DTS re-encode], the DTS Re-encode audio is outputted for BD and HD DVD advanced discs, and the original audio is outputted for the other discs (like [Primary Pass-True]).

Note that not all content on BD and HD DVD is flagged as advanced content either.

The BH200 will pass-through DVD audio, and re-encode hi-def audio to DTS. The only possible hiccup is advanced content DD tracks. Not too common outside of special features.

Given that, I don't see the problem with LG's implementation.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page