LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pboff: The RMTM CD SD DVD Multiregion Hack is stored elsewhere and overrides any SD DVD Region specified in the EEPROM. When you've used the RMTM CD the Region will be specified by this no matter what EEPROM code you use.

As Robert says 80 and 8D are equal, when you use the RMTM CD. Personally I'd use 8D as we know LG have used that themselves, although that is on the BH100, so is only a weak connection at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM

LOL. That's cool. I might change it to 80 then.

On the other hand, it sounds like the 8D is more official and you do have it on the front page. Maybe I won't change it then.

Decisions decisions...
post #723 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

I just checked those forum links but I didn't see anywhere that talks about enabling VCD. The only vcd reference I saw were the side links on the vcdhelp site and not in the actual forum threads.

I was referring to this link : http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/lg-6353/3032

)Switch on dvd, leave it till it says "no disc"
2)Press pause then 1,4,7,2,. you will enter the technical screen
3)default is: 55 53 00 DD 16 55 60 FF
i just modify the second D to 7
if i put 1 instead of the firs D as dave sais, my picture goes black'n white. i think it's changing the tv standard (pal/ntsc...)
Like this: 55 53 00 D7 16 55 60 FF
4)swich off swich on the player
5)enjoy watching VCDs

The EEPROM setting is very similar to the one on BH200 and so I tried D7 and D0 but it didn't solve my resolution problem.

No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.
post #724 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 02:53 PM

But isn't the 4th double digit area used to set region free "80" or "8D"? I guess either you do VCDs or you do region free DVDs.
post #725 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Personally I'd use 8D as we know LG have used that themselves, although that is on the BH100, so is only a weak connection at best.

0D is not a supported country model number on the BH200, yet -- if you use it, the System Log reports "MODEL: Non name model" -- therefore I would mildly council against using 8D (which is just 0D with the PAL bit turned on), in case a later version of firmware assigns 0D to a country that might give you unexpected behaviour (like China or something).

Rather, I suggest that you pick a currently-supported country model number that gives you the behaviour you want, for example, 00 (USA model) or 01 (Canada model) if you want BD Region A and Network Update capability. Then turn on the high order bit (00-->80 or 01-->81) if you also want PAL support.
post #726 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

Maybe your Pio doesn't have (or report) a 1080i/50hz timing, and the PAL-tweaked BH200 looks for one, can't find it, freaks out, and goes back to Auto? That doesn't explain why it's seeing a 1080p timing, but maybe there's something wrong with your Pio's EDID data -- maybe it mistakenly reports 1080p/50hz instead, even though it can't support it.

nikonjava: You can test peterjcat's theory by using the BH200 hack to display the EDID information (see the latest version of the first post in this thread). If your TV does not in fact support 50Hz resolutions, you are out of luck for playing PAL discs on the BH200, at least until you replace your TV.
post #727 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Personally I'd use 8D as we know LG have used that themselves, although that is on the BH100, so is only a weak connection at best.

Short story.
As dring mentioned above, 8D isn't really official in the BH200. 80 *is* (along with a slew of others discovered by petercat and dring).

More detail...
In the region hack thread, both dring and petercat found that all "official" 4th byte codes are "translated" to the MODEL entry in the system log. An invalid byte code--or at least one that's not yet assigned--shows up as "MODEL: Non name model". 8D is such a case (as dring noted above) and therefore should not be considered an official 4th byte at this juncture. That could change if LG assigns something to that value...at which point who know what would happen. Consequently, for now, it's better to use the other ones.

(dring and petercat please correct if I'm wrong on any of the above. thanks.)

See here fore a string of four extremely informative posts from petercat on the issue.

dring confirms petercats findings, and discovers a few more valuable pieces of info here.

Before we get too crazy jumping from thread to thread on the issue of regions and byte codes and such, we should probably keep that discussion in the LG BH-200 SD-DVD region hack thread.

edit: Or maybe even a new thread as we've clearly gone beyond SD DVD regions now. That would also allow us to keep a first post updated with all the valid codes (and the respective features of each).
post #728 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dring: I've replied here -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13825373

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

But isn't the 4th double digit area used to set region free "80" or "8D"? I guess either you do VCDs or you do region free DVDs.

So far we know the fourth value controls:

* BD Region Coding
* SD DVD Region Coding
* PAL Support

It's feasible it controls VCD support too, although that is possibly a stretch.
post #729 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dring View Post

nikonjava: You can test peterjcat's theory by using the BH200 hack to display the EDID information (see the latest version of the first post in this thread). If your TV does not in fact support 50Hz resolutions, you are out of luck for playing PAL discs on the BH200, at least until you replace your TV.

Yes, will try it over the weekend. I will go with 80 and test it with my TV.

Thanks.

No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.
post #730 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:

So far we know the fourth value controls:

* BD Region Coding
* SD DVD Region Coding
* PAL Support

and also whether the "Network Update" menu item appears under SETUP->OTHERS.
post #731 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

Or maybe even a new thread as we've clearly gone beyond SD DVD regions now. That would also allow us to keep a first post updated with all the valid codes (and the respective features of each).

+1 for a new thread. Any takers?

post #732 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dring View Post

and also whether the "Network Update" menu item appears under SETUP->OTHERS.

I knew I forgot something

Quote:

As dring mentioned above, 8D isn't really official in the BH200. 80 *is* (along with a slew of others discovered by petercat and dring).

Thanks. I knew most of it and what I didn't was backed up but what Dring said. I've replied to him here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13825373

You could edit your post post, copy/paste the text to the Hacking thread then delete the original. That would put it in the suitable thread.

Quote:

edit: Or maybe even a new thread as we've clearly gone beyond SD DVD regions now. That would also allow us to keep a first post updated with all the valid codes (and the respective features of each).

I don't think that's necessary. Things can get a bit silly if we start a new thread too often.

I don't think it's important if it happens to be called "LG BH-200 SD-DVD region hack", it's just a name. It's now more of a General Hacking thread and crucially already has pages of very useful General Hacking info in it.

We just need to be more disciplined and not discuss such topics in this "General" thread (which is why I replied in the Hacking thread).

That's just my two pennies worth.
post #733 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Considering what I replied to is in here...I'm leaving my reply here.

Only problem with the other region thread is that none of the people discovering all the codes and such are able to update the first post. With a new thread--particularly one by petercat or dring--the first post could be kept up-to-date.

That said, it's certainly not a requirement to start a new thread.
post #734 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That was just a suggestion btw

I've sent an e-mail to The Admin team asking they split off the Hacking thread here, to a new thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13742415

That way Peterjcat is the owner and it takes all subsequent discussion with it.
post #735 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonjava View Post

I was referring to this link : http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/lg-6353/3032

)Switch on dvd, leave it till it says "no disc"
2)Press pause then 1,4,7,2,. you will enter the technical screen
3)default is: 55 53 00 DD 16 55 60 FF
i just modify the second D to 7
if i put 1 instead of the firs D as dave sais, my picture goes black'n white. i think it's changing the tv standard (pal/ntsc...)
Like this: 55 53 00 D7 16 55 60 FF
4)swich off swich on the player
5)enjoy watching VCDs

The EEPROM setting is very similar to the one on BH200 and so I tried D7 and D0 but it didn't solve my resolution problem.

Tried D7, but VCDs "DO NOT WORK"

Interestingly enough, when I checked the info, it still says Region 0, BD A and PAL DVDs still work on it.

(I also reset my settings to "80" instead of "8D" now. )
post #736 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for trying Pobff. I only have a handful of VCDs, which work in my DVD Recorder.

It's also dead easy to play VCDs on a computer too.
post #737 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone else seen a slight oddity with Mono advanced authored discs and SPDIF DTS Recode?

My Integra Research preamp correctly puts the mono track out of the centre only in default mode but displays DTS stereo on the display. Dolby Digital mono is displayed correctly.
post #738 of 2819 Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 PM

Have you ever had a DTS mono source through the amp before? Maybe the amp presumes DTS is always at least stereo? At least the output is correct (centre channel only).

All our receiver does is light up DTS (or DD) as appropriate, sans stereo/5.1/7.1 indicators, so unfortunately I can't confirm/verify the stereo label. Hopefully others can with something like the Casablanca HD DVD over SPDIF.
post #739 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Have you ever had a DTS mono source through the amp before? Maybe the amp presumes DTS is always at least stereo? At least the output is correct (centre channel only).

All our receiver does is light up DTS (or DD) as appropriate, sans stereo/5.1/7.1 indicators, so unfortunately I can't confirm/verify the stereo label. Hopefully others can with something like the Casablanca HD DVD over SPDIF.

I've never come across a native DTS mono source (I have a DTS Stereo Laserdisc); maybe it is outside of spec. Would be interesting to see what other SPDIF DTS Re-Encode users see for mono discs.
post #740 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 AM

Does anyone have issues with the BH200 not outputting 24p on certain HD DVDs? For instance, with King Kong, Bourne Ultimatum or any Blu-ray my Samsung LCD displays 1080p at 24hz. Whereas, if I put HD DVD Pan's Labyrinth, 300 or a couple of other HD DVDs the display readys 1080p at 60hz. I have an A35 that consistently outputs 24hz with my entire HD DVD collection.

I have tried with two firmwares, the March 'unofficial' one and the new April one, both of which with Film Mode on and Resolution at Auto and 1080p but no difference.

Any ideas?

- Barry
post #741 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 07:10 AM

I got my BH200 unpacked and hooked up last night. Updating it via the USB port was amazingly slick. I was very impressed. After doing the main firmware update I did the update to 0702 via my network and that was slick as well. Then I did the DSP update on my Onkyo 705 and this weekend I'll be in HD audio heaven! I can't wait!

The only boring part of this will be reprogramming my Harmony. But I'll do it...one little sacrifice...taking one for the team.
post #742 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Anyone else seen a slight oddity with Mono advanced authored discs and SPDIF DTS Recode?

What Mono format? I presume PCM Mono? That would be a problem for me too. Mono is Mono not Stereo, well by force it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Dolby Digital mono is displayed correctly.

Phew! That is far more popular.

Are we talking HD Discs or DVDs here? The manual says DTS Re-encode doesn't work on DVDs.
post #743 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post

Does anyone have issues with the BH200 not outputting 24p on certain HD DVDs? For instance, with King Kong, Bourne Ultimatum or any Blu-ray my Samsung LCD displays 1080p at 24hz. Whereas, if I put HD DVD Pan's Labyrinth, 300 or a couple of other HD DVDs the display readys 1080p at 60hz. I have an A35 that consistently outputs 24hz with my entire HD DVD collection.

I have tried with two firmwares, the March 'unofficial' one and the new April one, both of which with Film Mode on and Resolution at Auto and 1080p but no difference.

Any ideas?

Yes, I don't think this is a defect. The BH200 will only switch into 24p mode when it detects the proper cadence on the disk. In my experience, about 95% of feature films on Blu-ray will display in 24p and about 80% on HD-DVD's will.

Non film based content, such as documentaries or TV shows will almost always display as 1080p60.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #744 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys...I was dithering on whether to purchase this unit, but I just went to Crutchfield and saw that they dropped the price again - the unit is now selling for $450, still with free shipping. I tried to use a coupon code for $20 more, but I'm not sure it worked - awkward system they have for those.

Anyhow, thanks to all of you for your informative commentary. What ultimately pushed me to get this is that my HD-A20 can't bitstream TrueHD to my Onkyo 605, coupled with the need for a Blu-Ray player, and this forum helped me confirm that with the firmware update, I'll be able to do that.

Plus I really wanted to see/hear Master and Commander in Blu-Ray / DTS-MA when it comes out in a little over a week.

Once again, thanks everyone.
post #745 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Grrr. another American store which only ships to America, from the Crutchfield site:

"We appreciate your interest in Crutchfield, and our shipping is restricted to United States addresses only"

They appreciate people not living in America so much they don't want our custom. Idiots!
post #746 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Grrr. another American store which only ships to America, from the Crutchfield site:

"We appreciate your interest in Crutchfield, and our shipping is restricted to United States addresses only"

They appreciate people not living in America so much they don't want our custom. Idiots!

Relax! I would guess the cost of exporting including labor, special packaging and paperwork costs is their reason. Not that they dislike you in Europe or elsewhere.
post #747 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's cool I am relaxed. It's still a stupid policy though, as I'm sure those who would want to import would be happy to pay the extra costs.

I think companies don't want to make money sometimes.
post #748 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post

Hey guys...I was dithering on whether to purchase this unit, but I just went to Crutchfield and saw that they dropped the price again - the unit is now selling for $450, still with free shipping. I tried to use a coupon code for $20 more, but I'm not sure it worked - awkward system they have for those.

Anyhow, thanks to all of you for your informative commentary. What ultimately pushed me to get this is that my HD-A20 can't bitstream TrueHD to my Onkyo 605, coupled with the need for a Blu-Ray player, and this forum helped me confirm that with the firmware update, I'll be able to do that.

Plus I really wanted to see/hear Master and Commander in Blu-Ray / DTS-MA when it comes out in a little over a week.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Thank you Ubertrout for the info! I called Crutchfield to get the difference of $80 for my order since it was in 30 day window.

post #749 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonjava View Post

Thank you Ubertrout for the info! I called Crutchfield to get the difference of $80 for my order since it was in 30 day window.

+1

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
post #750 of 2819 Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Augh...for another $20 more for what I paid, I could have gotten it from Crutchfield with a free cable label AND full warranty!!! You can't register and get warranty from Ebay right?
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page