LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

bradavon, thanks for all your efforts, regarding getting the word out (and now the firmware out) to folks, about the new firmware. It's much appreciated, by everyone.

No worries, glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post

Is there a reason why LG pulled it out of their site? And where can I obtain THE FIRMWARE as I am having a hard time with megaupload. How do I download from there???

Can you confirm the firmware is installed by following the instructions in the second post for checking what firmware is installed? As long as you've put the ROM file on to a CD/DVD/USB Stick it won't matter what type of Computer (PC or Mac) you've used.

What troubles are you having with Megaupload? The March firmware isn't on any LG website any more. OrangeKid seems to have another link, you couldn't post it here could you please? If so I'll add it to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post

Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm a little confused. Is the 38,054KB file now unsafe to install? That's the one I downloaded to my PC the other day (haven't received the player yet). Was it removed from the LG site because it may brick the player?

The honest truth is we don't know why it was pulled, it was there one minute and not the next. I suspect it was a mistake and never should've been there in the first place. LG said it would be coming in May, the March firmware was in fact in a ZIP file with a January date.

But you need to weigh the possbility of something being wrong with the March firmware against all the happy members who've since posted in the Owners Thread. While it's possible it could brick your player (technically whenever you install new firmware you could brick the player) I'd have thought we'd have heard about it by now if it was likely.

You have two choices:

1. Install the Official January firmware and wait for the re-release March firmware.
2. Install the March firmware knowing you can always roll back to the January one if you have problems.

Personally speaking (and this is just in my opinion) the March firmware adds so many new features I'd want to be using it. It could be May or later until we see it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpierre View Post

If the F/W is truly BETA, than it is a fully-functional one.

Exactly! Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-g-m View Post

Good. Because, I'm thinking of getting one today. Anyone, had troubles installing the fw after they pulled it out? Any "bricked" players?

I must've read literally every post on the BH200 over the last 3 days (since the March firmware) and I've not read of one bricked player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Thanks Hawkeye.

Is anyone else having these two problems? I'm not aware of anyone else either with these problems. Thanks.

What connection type are you using please? And what what audio format do you mean? I presume TrueHD or PCM.

It sounds like you're using HDMI but before you'd get 5.1 and now 7.1, right?

Thanks btw.

Hi,

I think he's pushing the wrong button on the remote (the reason I say this is because I did it at first too.)

I was testing out Transformers last night, and hit the "disc menu" button, and instead of the menu sliding up from the botton, it exited from the playing of the menu, and went back to the main menu animation.

There's a button called "TITLE/POPUP" on the right-hand side of the remote just below the circle of navigation buttons. This is the one you want, and it will make the menus slide up while the movie plays back.

I gave Transformers a good work-through last night as I felt that in terms of HDi and online-features it raised the bar, and everything worked excellent. It downloaded the initial web update without any problems, and I tried out the "transformers HUD", "intelligence mode" and "menubots" features, and they all worked perfectly.

The menubots feature didn't work at first on my Toshiba A3 (it downloaded fine, but you couldn't pick a "theme"), so I wanted to see if that worked (seemed like a likely candidate for a failure), but it worked great.

Going online couldn't have been easier either (cable modem to router to BH200).

Cheers,
Stuart
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Thanks Casey, I thought as much after reading all the posts..... the thing is.... that, it is difficult to tell the difference whether you are getting the DTS MA track or the DTS HR (1.5 Mbits core) track, when you are counting on the player to do the decoding. I mean all that the receiver shows is MULTI CH PCM (obviously).
This is about the only thing holding me back right now, from getting the player.

Paul
Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you cannot tell the difference between Lossless DTS-HD MA and Lossy 1.5Mb DTS do you even nee it?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Can you confirm the firmware is installed by following the instructions in the second post for checking what firmware is installed? As long as you've put the ROM file on to a CD/DVD/USB Stick it won't matter what type of Computer (PC or Mac) you've used.

What troubles are you having with Megaupload? The March firmware isn't on any LG website any more. [b]OrangeKid seems to have another link, you couldn't post it here could you please? If so I'll add it to my post.

See, I can't confirm the current firmware by following the steps in the snd post of this thread! I do know for sure that there is no network update to be selected in the set up and I can't select the 1080/24p option in the set up as well- although my TV says its 1080/24p orangekind did give me a link for the upgrade and will try it later tonight. Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Could you post that link here please, two download links are better than one.

What goes wrong when you follow the instructions? You should be able to see what the firmware version number is.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM

when I press the SERIES OF NUMBERS then ENTER button, nothing happens.... I tried to post the link but I guess I don't have enough posts to do so and Moderator needs to approve it I guess.??
Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's weird. What about the second set of instructions for checking the version?

I thought you only needed to have 3 posts to be able to post a link. You could always put a space in the link which will then allow you to post it, it will think it's just normal text. I've not need moderators to approve links before posting them.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:

The honest truth is we don't know why it was pulled, it was there one minute and not the next. I suspect it was a mistake and never should've been there in the first place. LG said it would be coming in May, the March firmware was in fact in a ZIP file with a January date.

But you need to weigh the possbility of something being wrong with the March firmware against all the happy members who've since posted in the Owners Thread. While it's possible it could brick your player (technically whenever you install new firmware you could brick the player) I'd have thought we'd have heard about it by now if it was likely.

You have two choices:

1. Install the Official January firmware and wait for the re-release March firmware.
2. Install the March firmware knowing you can always roll back to the January one if you have problems.

Personally speaking (and this is just in my opinion) the March firmware adds so many new features I'd want to be using it. It could be May or later until we see it again.

Thank you for the response. Just to be clear, is the 38,054KB file the correct "March" firmware?

Thanks again Brad for all the info.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:

That's weird. What about the second set of instructions for checking the version?

I thought you only needed to have 3 posts to be able to post a link. You could always put a space in the link which will then allow you to post it, it will think it's just normal text. I've not need moderators to approve links before posting them.

Check your PM. Maybe you can post it! No go on the 2nd set of instructions as well
Old 03-20-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the response. Just to be clear, is the 38,054KB file the correct "March" firmware?

Where are you getting that number from? I ask as it related to knowing which firmware to download, when it was on LG's website. That specific number is now no longer really relevant.

The March Firmware is in the second post of this thread. It's called BH0208314B (2008-03-14).
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

OrangeKid kindly sent me the link as well, here it is:

efjay, I would make sure that OrangeKid actually wants it posted in public... From what I've seen, he's been PM'ing people with the link, which might imply some bandwith concerns.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Where are you getting that number from? I ask as it related to knowing which firmware to download, when it was on LG's website. That specific number is now no longer really relevant.

That number was the size of the file I downloaded from LG's website earlier this week, which I understood to be the most current firmware. I may play it safe and download it again from the link you posted.

Thanks.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks again Brad for all the info.

I'm showing 38,055kb. The 2nd post of this thread claims a difference size than what you and I have. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link guys. I've put it in the first post, as an alternate link.

Quote:

From what I've seen, he's been PM'ing people with the link, which might imply some bandwith concerns.

Good point. I'll send him a PM.

Quote:

That number was the size of the file I downloaded from LG's website earlier this week, which I understood to be the most current firmware. I may play it safe and download it again from the link you posted.

It's likely you have the right one then, but if in doubt by all means re-download it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology View Post

I'm showing 38,055kb. The 2nd post of this thread claims a difference size than what you and I have. Can anyone shed some light on this?

They're actually the same size but shown in Mb, Kb or Bytes. What is the size in Bytes of the ROM file you have? I bet you'll find it's 38,955,543 bytes.

The reason I am specifically listing it in Bytes is because it's more precise than the size in Kb and it's crucial the file is complete. I cannot stress that enough.

The ZIP file I uploaded to Mega Upload has a different size as it also includes instructions what to do with it not included inside the ZIP file on LG's website, the ZIP file inside the ZIP file you download from Mega Upload is the exact same file that was on LG's website yesterday though. Inside that second ZIP file you'll find the ROM file.

I didn't want to alter the file I downloaded from LG's website in any way, that's why it's a ZIP file inside a ZIP file.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology View Post

I am not a computer expert, so here goes.
LG_BH_LV221BH.ROM
When the file is highlighted=38,043KB
When I go to properties: Size 37.1 MB (38,955,543 Bytes)
Size on disc 37.1 (38,957,056 Bytes)
Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

efjay, I would make sure that OrangeKid actually wants it posted in public... From what I've seen, he's been PM'ing people with the link, which might imply some bandwith concerns.

Quite right, I deleted my link and PM'ed him to apologize. I have another alternative for those with megaupload problems, just PM me your email address and I will send a direct link to download.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schandorsky View Post

Size on disc 37.1 (38,957,056 Bytes)

Ignore Size on Disk.

That is not how big the file actually is but how much space it's taking up based on how your hard disk is partitioned. It's hard to explain, just ignore Size on Disk.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Thanks Casey, I thought as much after reading all the posts..... the thing is.... that, it is difficult to tell the difference whether you are getting the DTS MA track or the DTS HR (1.5 Mbits core) track, when you are counting on the player to do the decoding. I mean all that the receiver shows is MULTI CH PCM (obviously).
This is about the only thing holding me back right now, from getting the player.

Paul

If you are a big fan of audio, as I'm guessing you are, I understand why this is important to you. If you have a decent system I think you can, without a doubt, tell the difference between lossless or uncompressed PCM audio and the older, lossy codecs. The "HD" audio sounds warmer, fuller, and presents a more stable, enveloping sound field. I think it's one of the most exciting parts of both the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats. Sure, the 1080p video is great, but people always seem to forget the sound. It's for all these reasons that both the BH200 and many other Blu-ray players were unacceptable to me. I WANTED THE AUDIO, DAMMIT!

Is your receiver capable of decoding the new HD codecs? If so, you should be able to bitstream the DTS HD/MA to the receiver and see if it is actually putting the sound out. But, of course, if you're asking this question than I'm assuming that your receiver doesn't. Mine does and I should have my BH200 is a couple of days. If your question hasn't been answered by then, I'll be happy to play around with stuff and see what I can find out for you.

On a side, theoretically speaking, any machine that can decode DTS HD should be able to also decode DTS HD Master Audio. The way the decoding works is essentially the same, it's just the Master Audio is less compressed and at a higher bit rate, therefore is lossless. So, if the BH200 is decoding DTS HD at all, it SHOULD be perfectly capable of doing the Master Audio as well. I don't think you'd really get one without the other.

-C.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've added a download link for European Players to the second post. With thanks to AlfaGT for providing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

Sure, the 1080p video is great, but people always seem to forget the sound.

I find that weird too. I've always wanted a HD Player that support Lossless Audio so I can hear it for myself and to future proof myself.

I also think to most people a HD Picture is obvious but HD Audio you need to spend time listening too. I presume that's so. I've not heard Lossless Audio yet. That and some people I suspect would never be able to tell the difference. I seriously doubt my parents could tell the difference.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey. So I'm now using a Toshiba HD-A20 and Onkyo TX-SR605, don't want my purchases of HD-DVDs to be a waste, and want the bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-MA. I'm also worried about these combo players being discontinued.

Is there any reason to wait now?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I've added a download link for European Players to the second post. With thanks to AlfaGT for providing it.

I find that weird too. I've always wanted a HD Player that support Lossless Audio so I can hear it for myself and to future proof myself.

I also think to most people a HD Picture is obvious but HD Audio you need to spend time listening too. I presume that's so. I've not heard Lossless Audio yet. That and some people I suspect would never be able to tell the difference. I seriously doubt my parents could tell the difference.

As I told you in my PM, 7.1 uncompressed PCM sounds really good. Everyone that has heard it at my home can easily distinguish between it and lossy - even those people that are not into HT.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:

While I'd agree that the video is probably a little more immediate, especially on a larger screen, don't underestimate the audio. I think most people, maybe even your parents, could appreciate it if they heard lossless and/or uncompressed audio on a decent home audio setup. It can be a pretty awe inspiring difference, depending on the film you're watching.

It's hard to describe exactly what it is; I think it's probably something a little more abstract than concrete. As I said in my previous most, the sound is just warmer, more enveloping, and more "real." It's kind of like talking to someone on the phone vs. talking to them in person. Even with my nice (but modest to some on these forums) 5.1 setup, the difference is palpable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post

Hey. So I'm now using a Toshiba HD-A20 and Onkyo TX-SR605, don't want my purchases of HD-DVDs to be a waste, and want the bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-MA. I'm also worried about these combo players being discontinued.

Is there any reason to wait now?

There is probably always some reason or another to wait if you really get right down to it. I think that could be said for most any major purchase. But in this case, I say take the plunge. Get the BH200; you won't regret it. And yes, some day LG will discontinue their dual format players. But, think about it. Everything you have already purchased and everything you will ever purchase is going to be discontinued. Your HD-A20 has already been discontinued. Your TX-SR605 will probably soon be as well for the newer 2008 model. Just because something is discontinued doesn't mean it will stop working. You'll probably get years of enjoyment out of your current electronics, including your BH200.

Just my thoughts.

-C.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't doubt you Casey . I'm sure I could tell the difference. My parents cannot tell the difference between Mono and Stereo when it's played back on a TV

I imagine the BH200 will still make a great BD Player if HD-DVD disappeared tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM

For ha ha's I connected my 200 to the internet. I already had the March firmware installed. I got a message that a new driver was available and proceeded to update. My March firmware remained and the driver version went from 700 to 702. Does anyone know if this improves anything or is this just a softwar driver for updates. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpierre View Post

My BH200 has the manufacture date of Jan 2008, came with the network driver 7.01 and I have updated the F/W twice: first to the "P" version from 2007, then to the just-pulled March version. No issues with any of the discs, including Japanese, Dutch and German HD DVDs as well as North American BD. Sound is perfect, with pass-through or re-encoding (DTS 5.1).... If the F/W is truly BETA, than it is a fully-functional one. BTW, both updates were done by disc - it seems a safer way to do so, as the network connection may drop out in the middle of the upgrade....

Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No one seems to know what these Network Updates give extra .

I don't think they're on LG's website and have no Change log I can find.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

There's a button called "TITLE/POPUP" on the right-hand side of the remote just below the circle of navigation buttons. This is the one you want, and it will make the menus slide up while the movie plays back.

Cheers,
Stuart

Stuart, thank you very much for this info. I'm quite happy that I was wrong about this.

Cheers back at ya.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone else notice they fixed the gamma issue? I used to have to crank up the gamma on my TV. After the update I had to turn it off. The picture now looks great without any adjustment.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

There is probably always some reason or another to wait if you really get right down to it. I think that could be said for most any major purchase. But in this case, I say take the plunge. Get the BH200; you won't regret it. And yes, some day LG will discontinue their dual format players. But, think about it. Everything you have already purchased and everything you will ever purchase is going to be discontinued. Your HD-A20 has already been discontinued. Your TX-SR605 will probably soon be as well for the newer 2008 model. Just because something is discontinued doesn't mean it will stop working. You'll probably get years of enjoyment out of your current electronics, including your BH200.

I understand that the model will be discontinued. My concern is that combo players generally are being discontinued and that it may be a now or never sort of thing. Samsung has already cancelled their follow-on model, and their existing unit will be discontinued shortly.