LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 2819 Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

You're running April firmware, right? I believe the June firmware removed support for AVCHD.

Yes it also removed support for BD5/BD9 (Blu-Ray disc structure on DVD+R). I reverted my firmware to the April version and these latter now work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2819 Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got this from LG:

Firmware update 2.0 BDFriday, October 3, 2008 2:29 PM

I just found out that we are not currently looking at upgrading to BD 2.0. The BD300 came out yesterday and it has 2.0 in it.
post #1503 of 2819 Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

I just got this from LG:

I just found out that we are not currently looking at upgrading to BD 2.0. The BD300 came out yesterday and it has 2.0 in it.

So? I don't care about profile 2.0. Hmm...didn't I hear that it was causing problems with the Iron Man BD disc anyway?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1504 of 2819 Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

I just got this from LG:

Thanks for relaying that news.

I wasn't too concerned about the 2.0 profile update.

But it might indicate that LG will reduce or even eliminate any new firmware releases for the BH200.

I was hoping that the 4:3 stretch issue with SD material might be eliminated with a firmware update.
post #1505 of 2819 Old 10-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

So? I don't care about profile 2.0. Hmm...didn't I hear that it was causing problems with the Iron Man BD disc anyway?

I believe the problem with Iron Man blu ray discs were only if they were being played on a Sony PS3. Iron Man works fine on my LG BH200
post #1506 of 2819 Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertF View Post

Thanks for relaying that news.

I wasn't too concerned about the 2.0 profile update.

But it might indicate that LG will reduce or even eliminate any new firmware releases for the BH200.

I was hoping that the 4:3 stretch issue with SD material might be eliminated with a firmware update.

And I was just going to post asking if there was any word on IF LG was ever going to add BD 2.0 as well as FIX the 4:3 stretch problem on the BH200, and this settles it. Guess I will either think about keeping the Samsung 2550 I have now, or *MAYBE* look at the new BD300. I really DO like the quality of LG better than Samsung!!!!!!! But, as the BD300 has no mention of that great, awesome QDEO, then again, I guess I am stuck with the 2550 which has the Reon HQV in it. And as there is mention that even the newer Panasonics (BD35/55) with their upgraded UniPhier chip still is weak on SD upscalling, again it appears that the 2550 is the better choice - unless the new Sony S550 is found to be good.
post #1507 of 2819 Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

see this:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f66/how-con...r-dvd-r-61142/

or
www.videohelp.com

tons of information on converting. It could be anything from the media to the disc is authored.

Thanks convertxtodvd I now have and works and burns it and puts on chapters and yes it plays on the BH-200. In this quest I have tried about 4 or 5 converting programs, I must say this one is the best by a country mile!!!!!!!!!!!.....thanks, thanks, thanks.....been working on this for awhile. Nice to be able to download torrents and play then on the big screen!!! (legal in Canada)

Western Canada
post #1508 of 2819 Old 10-09-2008, 10:49 PM

Dumb question, but does the BH200 have a setting where you can count down the time instead of the standard count up? I looked in the manual and tinkered with the remote and if it can do this, I must be overlooking it. Can anyone confirm yay or nay and if so, how to access it? Thanks!
post #1509 of 2819 Old 10-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post

Dumb question, but does the BH200 have a setting where you can count down the time instead of the standard count up? I looked in the manual and tinkered with the remote and if it can do this, I must be overlooking it. Can anyone confirm yay or nay and if so, how to access it? Thanks!

Thought there was, but looked at the manual and there isn't. I had tested so many players, I foget which one does which now It was the Sony S350 that would show time elapsed on the bottom when you pressed the info (or display) button, and if you pressed the time button, it would switch between the two. Kind of neat, and I miss that with the current Samsung 2550 I have now.

BUT, seeing as it appears that both the Samsung and LG seem to share a few simularities (info screen is VERY close to each other as an example), and I don't have the BH200 to check if true - when I press pause, and then again when I press play on the 2550, up on the top there will be a time line that would show (though way too briefly!!) how far into the movie you are and what the length of the movie is. Might check to see if the BH200 has that too.
post #1510 of 2819 Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Most BD and HD DVD titles show that info on the screen when you pause the movie.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1511 of 2819 Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Most BD and HD DVD titles show that info on the screen when you pause the movie.

Yeah, but I am looking for it for other things such as extras, standard dvds, etc. It is nice to know how long an extra can be before you get really into it.
post #1512 of 2819 Old 10-10-2008, 12:50 PM

Gentlemen,

Good day to all,

I have been reading your forums about the region free DVD players. It is really amazing what you guys are doing. I really appreciate it.

Iam planning to buy an Bluray player in US and take it back to India. Problem i face here is whether this player be able to play Indian DVD's which is of a different region. I browsed a lot in Internet there are few websites which sell region free players which they cost around $900.
For India :
Bluray - Region C
SDVD - Region 3 (Not sure about this #)

Would anyone be so kind enough me to advise which Blu ray player is the best to use it in India and play all India DVD's with PAL system.

Thanks
post #1513 of 2819 Old 10-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Your in the right place....Refer to page one of this thread for the instructions on how to make your SD region free/PAL and how to move around the different Blu Ray regions. It's actually quite simple took me a matter of minutes to do the needed hacks. Welcome to the forum.

Dan Sholtis

post #1514 of 2819 Old 10-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.
So you mean to say that if i buy this player it can be hacked easily and play any kind of region. In India there are not enough blu ray movies available in the market. So all iam planning to buy Blu ray movies from USA and use my existing Indian DVD's.
Could you please let me know...which BD player is the best in the market or suit my requirements. I have an Denon AVR1507 home theater amplifier.
I went thru the 1st page of this forum. all it tells about LG BH200, can all the player be hacked in the same way.
Could you please let me know your review about this player and suggest me any other player in the market.

Thanks
post #1515 of 2819 Old 10-11-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanth View Post

Thanks for the reply.
So you mean to say that if i buy this player it can be hacked easily and play any kind of region. In India there are not enough blu ray movies available in the market. So all iam planning to buy Blu ray movies from USA and use my existing Indian DVD's.
Could you please let me know...which BD player is the best in the market or suit my requirements. I have an Denon AVR1507 home theater amplifier.
I went thru the 1st page of this forum. all it tells about LG BH200, can all the player be hacked in the same way.
Could you please let me know your review about this player and suggest me any other player in the market.

Thanks

No, AFAIK, the BH200 is the only player where the Blu-Ray region can be changed on the fly. There are hardware modifications to the Panny DMP-BD30 and the PS3 available with a substantial markup that make those two units region free. Quite a few players (e.g., the BH200, the Sammy BD-P1400, etc.) can be made SD DVD region free with back door hacks.
post #1516 of 2819 Old 10-11-2008, 04:04 PM

Hi all -

I just purchased the BH 200 from Best Buy for $319.99. Problem is I can't update the firmware. I tried connecting my player to the internet but there is no update option. I tried downloading the file in the original post and both burning it to a CD and putting it on a flash drive. Both times the player recognized the cd/flash drive but did not automatically update. What do I need to do to update the firmware?
post #1517 of 2819 Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottye84 View Post

Hi all -

I just purchased the BH 200 from Best Buy for $319.99. Problem is I can't update the firmware. I tried connecting my player to the internet but there is no update option. I tried downloading the file in the original post and both burning it to a CD and putting it on a flash drive. Both times the player recognized the cd/flash drive but did not automatically update. What do I need to do to update the firmware?

Haven't updated on the internet, so I don't know the exact steps or any tricks outside the manual.

Did you copy the files to the root directory of your flash drive?
Did you create the CD from the ISO and not just burn the ISO file to the CD as a data CD?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

post #1518 of 2819 Old 10-11-2008, 04:46 PM

For some reason deleting all the other files from my flash drive fixed it. I have a Pioneer VSX-03TXH and currently it's running in PCM when I watch a blu-ray. Does that mean I'm hearing DTS-HD or would there be a DTS-HS logo that comes up on my receiver? When I set my BH-200 to Pass-Through it only ran in Dolby Digital, I know that's not right.
post #1519 of 2819 Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have it set to PCM and your receiver is connected via HDMI, it should be in the advanced audio codecs. I know others here have Pioneer receivers and can answer better.

The only time you will see the logo is if you have it set to bitstream and your receiver can decode it.

post #1520 of 2819 Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When the BH200 is outputting in PCM the Receiver/Amp will never be able to display TrueHD/DTS-HD as it's not receiving that signal. It still maybe picking up a lossless signal though, just like on the PS3 converting everthing to PCM (even though it supports TrueHD/DTS-HD).

To put it simply:

* Does your Amp support DTS-HD and TrueHD? Set it to Primary Pass-thru (aka Bitstream).
* If it doesn't support DTS-HD and TrueHD, set it to PCM. That way you'll get everything at it's highest bitrate (including TrueHD), except for DTS-HD (HR or MA) where you'll get the Lossy DTS Core instead. You need an Amp that supports DTS-HD HR/MA to be able to get those, this is because the BH200 can on-board decode TrueHD but not DTS-HD HR/MA.

That's for Amps with HDMI. If your Amp only has Optical set it to DTS Re-encode.

The exception to this rule is PIP/Bonus View Commentaries, where you have to set it to PCM Multi-Channel or DTS Re-encode as these don't work when set to Primary Pass-thru. Personally if I had an Amp which supports DTS-HD/TrueHD I'd leave it on Primary Pass-thru except when I wanted to watch one of these extras (which wouldn't be very often).

Sadly there is no option which fits all modes:

* Primary Pass-thru - No PIP/Bonus View Commentaries
* PCM Multi-Ch. - No DTS-HD HR or MA

That's again for Amps which support TrueHD and DTS-HD HR/MA. If your Amp doesn't support DTS-HD HT/MA anyway it's an easier descision, leave it on PCM Multi-Ch (or DTS Re-encode if you only have Optical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyE83 View Post

I have a Pioneer VSX-03TXH and currently it's running in PCM when I watch a blu-ray. Does that mean I'm hearing DTS-HD or would there be a DTS-HS logo that comes up on my receiver?

No, you'll be hearing the Lossy DTS Core. DTS-HD doesn't work when set to anything other than Primary Pass-thru, it also relies on your Amp supporting DTS-HD HR/MA.

* Does your Amp support DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA and TrueHD?
* Are you connecting by Optical or HDMI?
post #1521 of 2819 Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 AM

I am connected via HDMI and my Pioneer VSX-03 TXH definitely supports DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. When i set the BH-200 on pass through while watching a blu ray the receiver says it's running Dolby Digital. Any thoughts?
post #1522 of 2819 Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 AM

Well, I figured it out that it was playing in DOlby Digital because that's what I had selected in the DVD menu. Can you tell I am new at high def audio? Here's the weird part though. When watching a movie with DTS-HD with DTS-HD selected the receiver displays DTS (which it does with both DTS core and DTS HD, no way to tell by looking) it doesn't seem to sound as good as it does when running PCM, which makes we think I'm hearing lossy DTS. The really weird part it, when I choose Dolby True HD my receiver switches to 2 channel stereo. I'm so lost right now. This is with the receiver running on stream direct.
post #1523 of 2819 Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyE83 View Post

The really weird part it, when I choose Dolby True HD my receiver switches to 2 channel stereo. I'm so lost right now. This is with the receiver running on stream direct.

Sounds like you have a pre-March firmware. The pre-March firmware would only output True HD via 2-channel using bitstream.

post #1524 of 2819 Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM

Haha, I didn't realize the firmware and the driver were 2 different things. Updating it now.
post #1525 of 2819 Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM

This is frustrating me to no end. I have an onkyo 606.

I have tried March, April, and June firmware on the bh200. I have the 0702 driver installed. This is a March 2008 built unit.

If I bitstream, then dts hs ma tracks have a really annoying crackling or popping sound over them that sounds like static.

Sounds like a receiver issue, right?

But, here's what's really strange, if I try to send multichannel pcm or re-encode to dts I no longer hear the static sound but instead there is a strange high pitch whistling/shrieking sound. I get this same sound if I send the signal straight to my tv! No matter what I can't listen to a disc that has a dts hd ma soundtrack. TruHD works great though. What the!?

Also, when I downgrade to a pre-march firmware I lose out on dts hd ma but somehow it is passing on the dts to my reciever just fine and it sounds normal.

I'd rather not miss out on the advanced sound tracks, but I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. I tried a couple different hdmi cables.

Do you think I have a bad circuit or chip? It's almost like it's a problem in getting the track off the disc, and maybe the whistling is the player decoding those pops that I hear when the track is bitstreamed.

Ideas before I call LG? I'm really bummed, especially since my 30 days with best buy has passed. I'm never buying from best buy again.
post #1526 of 2819 Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wish they would have just made one more HD DVD/BLU RAY system before hd dvd got canned
post #1527 of 2819 Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM

I have a 606 and audio is perfect from my BH200 regardless of whether it is bistreamed or PCM. I think there is problem with your receiver...
post #1528 of 2819 Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 AM

hi can anyone help i have the latest update but fearless hd dvd has no main menu ie english or french you have to guess also my planet earth hd dvd has the main menu but no play or chapter selection and no matter what i do it wont play?? does anyone else have problem? they both play fine on xbox hd player.
thanks
post #1529 of 2819 Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis1975 View Post

hi can anyone help i have the latest update but fearless hd dvd has no main menu ie english or french you have to guess also my planet earth hd dvd has the main menu but no play or chapter selection and no matter what i do it wont play?? does anyone else have problem? they both play fine on xbox hd player.
thanks

Check here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1002769

Can I assume that you are using a European version of the Planet Earth. 5 discs.
Got the same problem as you... so it used as a dust magnet now... sad...
post #1530 of 2819 Old 10-17-2008, 07:13 AM

so what your saying there is no way to play planet earth hd dvd on my player?
do the blu-ray copy play on this player?
thanks will
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page