LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 2819 Old 10-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine plays fine minus a few audio and video dropouts not to mention I can't bitstream because of the DD+ issue. Opps, I spoke too soon as i have the US version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2819 Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 AM

could someone tell me what one this is and if i put this on instead june what would i loose on my bh200?
thanks
post #1533 of 2819 Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 AM

where to get the firmware update for april and what do i loose from the june update. please can someone tell me where to get the april update for my bh200 this dont make sence to me also would i damage my player going back to april firmware when already updated to junes????
post #1534 of 2819 Old 10-19-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis1975 View Post

could someone tell me what one this is and if i put this on instead june what would i loose on my bh200?
thanks

They're 99% identical. You can see what June adds in the first post. Some have said that BD-R and BD-RE support is removed with the June firmware.

It was never official to be fair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable

As far as I know that's the only thing June removes over April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis1975 View Post

also would i damage my player going back to april firmware when already updated to junes????

Generally speaking there is always a risk when upgrading/downgrading firmware (e.g - if power is lost for example) but other than that you can upgrade or downgrade firmware as much as you like. It won't do any harm. When you install firmware it overwrites the existing one.

The April firmware can be downloaded from the various LG Service sites (see the link in the first post). The April 2008 firmware is the second one down from the top, saying:

[US, Canada Only] Software Update for BH200

Despite saying that it works with all BH200s (certainly from Europe too anyway). The top one is June 2008, the third January 2008 and bottom/fourth November 2007.
post #1535 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 AM

I am late to the BH 200 bandwagon. I just picked up an open-box unit at a local Best Buy for $175. It didn't have a remote but I am hopeful my Harmony remote will work fine with it. We just moved in and haven't set up the TV room but the room is only wired for 5.1 - our current receiver (Onkyo 674) doesn't decode any of the HD audio codecs.

Couple of questions -

What would be the best way to set up the BH 200 and the receiver?

Since we only have a 5.1 setup, what would be gained from getting a new receiver that did decode the new codecs?
post #1536 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbreen View Post

I am late to the BH 200 bandwagon. I just picked up an open-box unit at a local Best Buy for $175. It didn't have a remote but I am hopeful my Harmony remote will work fine with it. We just moved in and haven't set up the TV room but the room is only wired for 5.1 - our current receiver (Onkyo 674) doesn't decode any of the HD audio codecs.

Couple of questions -

What would be the best way to set up the BH 200 and the receiver?

Since we only have a 5.1 setup, what would be gained from getting a new receiver that did receive the new codecs?

As you can see I use an Onkyo 674 with the BH200. It works really well. I use the Multi-PCM out from the BH200 to the receiver. In other words I let the BH200 decode the audio and send it Mulit-PCM to the receiver. That is the only way you can get TrueHD audio. The setup sounds great. The BH200 does not decode DTS-HD MA but it will decode the 1.5 DTS core. The 1.5 DTS core sounds very good.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #1537 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

As you can see I use an Onkyo 674 with the BH200. It works really well. I use the Multi-PCM out from the BH200 to the receiver. In other words I let the BH200 decode the audio and send it Mulit-PCM to the receiver. That is the only way you can get TrueHD audio. The setup sounds great. The BH200 does not decode DTS-HD MA but it will decode the 1.5 DTS core. The 1.5 DTS core sounds very good.

I am new to this, so does that mean you are feeding an HDMI cable to the receiver as opposed to a Toslink optical cable? I assume so since you say that it is decoding the TrueHD and sending it out but wanted to be sure. Also, is there any special setting that one must do on the receiver itself? Thanks for the help.
post #1538 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

It didn't have a remote but I am hopeful my Harmony remote will work fine with it.

The only problem I had with it (about 6 months ago) was the play button. On my Harmony 880 it wouldn't send the signal long enough for the BH200 to interpret so it did nothing.

I had to learn the command in raw mode from the original remote. Maybe the database has been updated, but just a heads up.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1539 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I am new to this, so does that mean you are feeding an HDMI cable to the receiver as opposed to a Toslink optical cable? I assume so since you say that it is decoding the TrueHD and sending it out but wanted to be sure. Also, is there any special setting that one must do on the receiver itself? Thanks for the help.

Yes, Toslink will not carry multichannel PCM, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD HR (Blu-Ray and HD DVD). Toslink will only carry two channel PCM, DTS and Dolby Digital (the legacy DVD formats).

The receiver should say multichannel PCM on its front display when connected to the BH200 (via HDMI).

Here are a couple of FAQ's to get you started.

An Onkyo receiver mistakes FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949414

A general AVR FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=968859

The TX-SR674 -- http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f
post #1540 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 AM

my harmony 880 play button works just fine on my BH200. id try reloading again.
post #1541 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstepisodeever View Post

my harmony 880 play button works just fine on my BH200. id try reloading again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Yes, Toslink will not carry multichannel PCM, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD HR (Blu-Ray and HD DVD). Toslink will only carry two channel PCM, DTS and Dolby Digital (the legacy DVD formats).

The receiver should say multichannel PCM on its front display when connected to the BH200 (via HDMI).

An Onkyo receiver mistakes FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949414

All excellent info!

Thanks.
post #1542 of 2819 Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM

Just joined the fray with the BH200 compliments of BB. One quick question, as this is my 5th BD/HD player. I've updated to June FW with disc and downloaded the driver through ethernet; The player bitstreams all BD discs fine, but will not bitstream HD discs. It only gives me the stereo 192 comment on the receiver, like Rocky stated a few pages back with the static noise. But, when I set it to PCM multi, it decodes all the DD+ and TrueHD HD-DVD tracks fine with no noise. Do I assume that this is a problem that will not be fixed and I will just have to set the player to pass-through (bitstream) when I watch a BD and PCM-multi (decodes) when I watch and HD? Or, am I simply missing a setting somewhere? Any help is appreciated.
post #1543 of 2819 Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 AM

i have now bought the onkyo 606 t go with my bh200 i have got connected through hdmi what would be the best setting on the player??
cheers
post #1544 of 2819 Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 AM

As previously posted:

Just got off the phone with Pioneer regarding the DD+ bitstreaming error. They believe the LG is partially decoding the signal inside the player in error when it should be passing the bitstreamed signal undecoded. By the receiver indicating a pcm signal, the receiver has received a a decoded codec and can not do anything else to it. If the LG was operating correctly, the receiver would not indicate that it is receiving a LPCM signal. In other words, pioneer has determined that the BH200 is the problem. Not too surprising.
post #1545 of 2819 Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

As previously posted:

Just got off the phone with Pioneer regarding the DD+ bitstreaming error. They believe the LG is partially decoding the signal inside the player in error when it should be passing the bitstreamed signal undecoded. By the receiver indicating a pcm signal, the receiver has received a a decoded codec and can not do anything else to it. If the LG was operating correctly, the receiver would not indicate that it is receiving a LPCM signal. In other words, pioneer has determined that the BH200 is the problem. Not too surprising.

Most players default to PCM before locking to bitstream. Likely two issues could cause this prob; incorrect stream or timing/handshake. It is unlikely to be an incorrect stream as streaming works properly with certain receivers.
post #1546 of 2819 Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just picked up this player as an open box via Best Buy. I changed the region code to 0 for SD DVD's but NONE of my PAL discs will play. Can someone please tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I change that value to 80, hit the pause button and power it off. I've tried 3 different ones and none of them work. I get the "check disc" error and it spits it out.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #1547 of 2819 Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Just picked up this player as an open box via Best Buy. I changed the region code to 0 for SD DVD's but NONE of my PAL discs will play. Can someone please tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I change that value to 80, hit the pause button and power it off. I've tried 3 different ones and none of them work. I get the "check disc" error and it spits it out.

Does your display support PAL? If not check the first page of this FAQ for other settings to try.
post #1548 of 2819 Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertF View Post

Does your display support PAL? If not check the first page of this FAQ for other settings to try.

I don't think it would have anything to do with my display. It won't play it at all. Just spits it out.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #1549 of 2819 Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

I don't think it would have anything to do with my display. It won't play it at all. Just spits it out.

I understand.

Does it play other, non-Pal, discs without a problem? (HD-DVD, Blu-ray, etc.)
post #1550 of 2819 Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Just updated the firmware. Apparently something happened between the march and june that made it ok. Pal works perfectly now!! THANKS!!!

post #1551 of 2819 Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Just got this from LG:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing. Unfortunately there are no plans to update the BH200 to support BDLive 2.0.
post #1552 of 2819 Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Thank you for the helpful post and the excellent links!

I didn't realize that the Toslink connections were limited to the legacy DVD formats.
post #1553 of 2819 Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 AM

its not toslink is limited to dvd standards but the bandwidth available the amount of information it can pass thru or handle is too low to carry uncomprressed or low compression audio streams. someone can correct me if I am wrong but that is what I thought I read somewhere.

Clueless In Pittsburgh, PA :)
JVC 56" D-ILA 1080p HDTV & Toshiba HD-XA1
Model - HD-56FH96 All Black
post #1554 of 2819 Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Thank you to everybody in this forum for helping to update the driver, software and the Region management code system. Last week I bought this player from CC for $380 and i made all the update and it is working fine as well. Only thing i dont have an Indian DVD to run on a different region code.
Thanks again.
Best Regards
post #1555 of 2819 Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 AM

My understanding is that the cable itself is not the limiting factor, but rather the toslink interfaces on the equipment the cable is connecting... the toslink spec defines the interface throughput, and it's just not high enough to handle advanced audio formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesspa View Post

its not toslink is limited to dvd standards but the bandwidth available the amount of information it can pass thru or handle is too low to carry uncomprressed or low compression audio streams. someone can correct me if I am wrong but that is what I thought I read somewhere.

post #1556 of 2819 Old 11-02-2008, 02:25 PM

This FAQ does not do a good job of explaining the difference between "firmware" and "software" updates. I installed 0702 and thought it was a firmware update. I was very frustrated when the player didn't work.

Just something the author might want to clear up at the top of the FAQ.
post #1557 of 2819 Old 11-02-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesspa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

My understanding is that the cable itself is not the limiting factor, but rather the toslink interfaces on the equipment the cable is connecting... the toslink spec defines the interface throughput, and it's just not high enough to handle advanced audio formats.

It's neither. It is actually the lack of copy protection on Toslink/Coax that content providers basically prohibit any advanced audio be transmitted over these unprotected digital links. With no permission from content providers, there is little or no incentive for industry group to put out a new SPDIF standard that can transmit higher bandwith contents.
post #1558 of 2819 Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM

You guys still getting video dropouts? I have my BH200 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR805 which is outputting via HDMI to my Samsung LNT5265F.

The newer B.D live movies, The Hulk for example I usually get 3 dropouts a film.

It really sucks, any work around this?

Xbox LIVE Tag: D O N K E R

Playstation Network Tag: DONKER

Wii number 1548 - 0387 - 3348 - 3546

Proud Aperion owner!!

post #1559 of 2819 Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah i've been getting dropouts* even on DVD's lately!

*AVR = Marantz SR8001

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #1560 of 2819 Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Has anyone using component cables noticed the LG home screen going a little bonkers when you hit "open/close" while ejecting a disc? I don't recall seeing it when I had it hooked via hdmi.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page