LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 95 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #2821 of 2835 Old 01-04-2015, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjdye View Post
I need the April 2008 firmware for my LG BH200 and I have been unable to find it anywhere. Do you still have a copy? Mark.
Have a look in the first post of this Mini-FAQ thread, then under:

- Miscellaneous - Firmware

Then:

Where do I find older Firmware?

You will see it shown in red there. I can confirm the download link still works.

p.s. - After all these years my LG BH200 is still going strong. I've still only ever had two problem discs too (one was a HD-DVD and one was even a DVD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2835 Old 02-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey, brad i'm having some problems viewing any hddvd. I have the player set to region B for my overseas stuff, but I thought that wasnt an issue because hddvds are region free. But even though, when I am in region A I still have issues. Im on the last firmware. Should I go back to an earlier version?

Samsung 60F8500
Samsung 51F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
OPPO 103D
2 PS3's
post #2823 of 2835 Old 04-06-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Mine doesn't read HDDVDS OR SD Dvds anymore.... it works fine for BD, but is a turtle of course.
I just updated, have gone through a few FW updates, even going back a ways.

The fact that it will no longer read standard DVDS is confusing me.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #2824 of 2835 Old 04-06-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Took the drive out and cleaned the heads manually, and it now plays DVDS no problem.
Still doesn't play HDDVDs though.
I can hear the drive searching, but it takes awhile, and then says Disk Error and opens the tray.
I've tried the unplug power/Hold button, I've cleared and initialized...
Not sure what I can try next, I just updated it again, so I know it has the latest.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #2825 of 2835 Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Update:

BH200 is back in business 100%!

I shut it off, grabbed an old Maxell DVD lens cleaner, turned it back on, ran the cleaner and tried a few discs.
ALL of them work now......not sure what happened, but I'm not complaining!
tripleM likes this.

post #2826 of 2835 Old 04-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just purchased my second BH 200 on EBay for 120.00 after my first one died. I was getting the please wait and nothing would open which is a symptom of a bad mainboard. I'm keeping the old drive incase I need to replace it. Good to know you got everything playing properly again.

-----------
Robert

Last edited by microbob; 04-06-2015 at 09:42 AM.
post #2827 of 2835 Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, good idea.
Pretty happy the BH200 is back in business, I always liked this machine, so I was a lil bummed that I had to ad the Tosh A2 to the rack just to play DVDS/HDDVDs.

The A2 is staying in the rack for awhile to make sure the 200 doesn't start acting up.

post #2828 of 2835 Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Yeah, good idea.
Pretty happy the BH200 is back in business, I always liked this machine, so I was a lil bummed that I had to ad the Tosh A2 to the rack just to play DVDS/HDDVDs.

The A2 is staying in the rack for awhile to make sure the 200 doesn't start acting up.
You happened to do all the things I was going to suggest. Use a lens cleaner. I have found the Maxell that has the wind tunnel affect works well and also I have a couple with brute force ones with brushes. Two different Dishwasher versions and a Bib one that has what looks like many small paint brushes. All of them have had various results. I revived my A35 with the Bib cleaner years ago. For some reason it decided not to play some HD discs and after that it has been fine. The next step after that is the manual cleaning, which in your case SHOULD have revived both DVD and HD. Perhaps it just needed a swift kick in the pants.

Our BH200 is also running great. It has not had much use but the boss did watch Big Hero 6 over the weekend with no issues. I only own the one, but I own 6 working Samsung BD-UP5000s and parts enough to make a 7th. Overall I think the BH200 is a better machine but for some reason I globbed onto the 5ks.
post #2829 of 2835 Old 04-09-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

May have been coincidence with the Maxell cleaning, maybe the lens wasn't dry enough, or maybe there was a little film on it that the Maxell cleaned off....
I don't know, but it works now.
I couldn't even use that Maxell DVD Brush cleaner before I manually cleaned the lens, it wouldn't read DVDS!

Either way, I've always had luck manually cleaning lenses in the past, it seems it is still the best way....although a PITA.

post #2830 of 2835 Old 04-09-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
May have been coincidence with the Maxell cleaning, maybe the lens wasn't dry enough, or maybe there was a little film on it that the Maxell cleaned off....
I don't know, but it works now.
I couldn't even use that Maxell DVD Brush cleaner before I manually cleaned the lens, it wouldn't read DVDS!

Either way, I've always had luck manually cleaning lenses in the past, it seems it is still the best way....although a PITA.
Good point. The Bib one with brushes is a CD. Maybe that would have worked? Glad to hear you got it going again. Loaders for the 5k are non-existant these days and I bet for the BH200 it is even worse? I hope ours lasts forever otherwise I will need to install a 5k as the bosses player but she does not watch much media anyway, just whatever comes on cable.
post #2831 of 2835 Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I was hoping for HDDVD to win, as I thought it made more sense, but alas Sony threw a ton of $ at BD and it won.
I have way more HDDVDS than BDs(because I stopped buying BDS due to their cost back then, will buy a few now).
This plays BD and HDDVD fine, although it's slow, it works NP.....not buying another BD player until this one stops working, I can deal with a small delay.
tripleM likes this.

post #2832 of 2835 Old 04-09-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was hoping for HDDVD to win, as I thought it made more sense, but alas Sony threw a ton of $ at BD and it won.
I have way more HDDVDS than BDs(because I stopped buying BDS due to their cost back then, will buy a few now).
This plays BD and HDDVD fine, although it's slow, it works NP.....not buying another BD player until this one stops working, I can deal with a small delay.
Ya, I used to feel the same way, but I got over it. I have a couple racks of HDs and triple that for BD with tons stacked all over everywhere. These are now the days of BD like DVDs back in the day. I just ordered four movies in two double packages brand new and the entire cost to me will be only $2.46 (thanks Freeshipping.com). Granted they are not the best movies out there (The Messengers/Freedomland and Running with Scissors/The Squid and the Whale). I'm collecting Kristen Stewart movies (don't know why) and wanted The Messengers and came upon these BD doubles. I will sell my copy of Running with Scissors and end up making a profit on the whole ordeal.

You are smart waiting. Most movies that have been out for more than a year are cheep and if you don't mind buying used are great values. I typically see many older BD releases or under a buck ("B" titles) and always under $10 for most stuff. Even the new release catalog stuff is usually under $15.
post #2833 of 2835 Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Gone are the days of paying 30+ for a BD movie.
Been there, done that.....
" Wow, this movie looks and sounds fantastic"
"I just got this...wow"
.......collecting dust, it wasn't that good...

Bah, no more of that, I like my $ too much, and I need it for gear!
tripleM likes this.

post #2834 of 2835 Unread Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You guys are starting to make me tear up thinking about those days back in '07 when we were all scrambling around to get the last Toshiba's & this LG to play our vanquished HDDVD format.

I still use my LG200 about 3-5 times a year...mostly for my watching the Batman trilogies over & over. And soon the Star Wars saga to prep for the the new SW7 this Xmas

Still my main player (only player really).
Haven't updated its firmware since I don't know when but it plays everything that we put in there.
Takes forever to boot upto the play screen but man, it is smooth as butter.
It's really the first machine that I enjoy the audio as much as the video reproductions i.e. TrueDolby & DTS-HD sound is just awesome on it.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #2835 of 2835 Unread Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post
You guys are starting to make me tear up thinking about those days back in '07 when we were all scrambling around to get the last Toshiba's & this LG to play our vanquished HDDVD format.

I still use my LG200 about 3-5 times a year...mostly for my watching the Batman trilogies over & over. And soon the Star Wars saga to prep for the the new SW7 this Xmas

Still my main player (only player really).
Haven't updated its firmware since I don't know when but it plays everything that we put in there.
Takes forever to boot upto the play screen but man, it is smooth as butter.
It's really the first machine that I enjoy the audio as much as the video reproductions i.e. TrueDolby & DTS-HD sound is just awesome on it.
I was late to the party. I didn't start collecting HDPs and HD media until the Spring/Summer of '08 AFTER HD had been killed off. Actually I had a D-VHS player (by mistake, $40 on a clearance table) but did not realize what I had until way after I purchased it (for it's firewire output and dubbing old home movies from VHS). I started with collecting, buying, trading, bartering D-VHS tapes and did very well with that then discovered HD-DVD after the fire sale and slowly started collecting BDs once I had purchased all the HD DVD movies I desired at the time. I still purchase a few here and there. They have now taken over my life and living space. I bought my one and only BH200 from Crutchfield as an outlet open box but in actuality it was brand new, just being closed out. I had purchased my first Sammy 5k prior to that and a Sony BD player and a A35 for the bosses TV (which is now in the great room). When I got the BH200 I put it in place of those two units, got rid of a HDMI switch box, gave the Sony to my daughter for a wedding present (didn't get it back after the divorce) and put the A35 in storage. I still get the A35 out every once in a while if I run into a disc that won't play on the LG or the Sammy's. I still have one (Bubble) that won't play on the Sammy. If I remember right it plays just fine on the LG and of course the A35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page