LG BH200: Hidden Hacking Options - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Member
 
Worstepisodeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would I need to have a region B BD to try it out?
Worstepisodeever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Worstepisodeever. Thanks for the reply.

To be of any use, yes you'll of course need a Region B locked BD but NO you don't need one to see if it does anything. Follow these instructions:

Check what your SD DVD and BD Region are set to currently, go to:

1. SETUP
2. TV ASPECT
3. SELECT 16:9
4. PRESS 1397139 ON THE REMOTE
5. PRESS ENTER

Then once you know this:

1. Turn the LG BH200 on
2. Open the tray, with no disc in the tray
3. Press PAUSE, 1, 4, 7, 2
4. Change the fourth HEX value to 96. So for USA Models it reads: 55 53 00 96 00 05 00 40
5. Press PAUSE to close EEPROM Menu

6. Turn the LG BH200 off

Whatever the string is you just want to change the fourth value to 96. DON'T change the other values. Make a note of what the string is before you change it and if you wish you can always put it back afterwards (for USA Models it's likely to be: 55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40). 00 is the default value in The USA.

You will then see what the SD DVD and BD Region code is set to. Is it still SD DVD Region 1 and BD Region A?

If it doesn't change anything I'd recommend putting it back to 00, or 8D if you wish to enable PAL support.

Thanks.
bradavon is offline  
post #33 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
peterjcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think a bit of a EUREKA is in order.

Setting Byte 4 to 96 changed my US BH200 to Region B. As reported in the Region Info screen, and verified with Region B The Simpsons Movie (Australian, Fox, region locked).

Thanks Brad & AlfaGT!
peterjcat is offline  
post #34 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What does "06" do?

I should add that using the last 5 bits for complete region control makes sense. You need 2 bits for Bluray and 3 bits for DVD; what I dont understand is the pattern, could really do with a Japanese or Austrailian BH200 EEP readout.

Going all out straight away with "9F" for the BH200 might be risky (Might also be Region Free ).
Krobar is offline  
post #35 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

Setting Byte 4 to 96 changed my US BH200 to Region B. As reported in the Region Info screen, and verified with Region B The Simpsons Movie (Australian, Fox, region locked).

WOW! I'm impressed.

* What was the SD DVD Region?
* Could you still play PAL Region 2 SD DVDs?
* I presume you could then not play Region A BDs?
* Is the Network Update option still available?

Actually it probably doesn't matter too much what the SD DVD Region number said (as we have the RMTM CD) but it's still worth knowing.
bradavon is offline  
post #36 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Worstepisodeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Hi Worstepisodeever. Thanks for the reply.

To be of any use, yes you'll of course need a Region B locked BD but NO you don't need one to see if it does anything. Follow these instructions:

Check what your SD DVD and BD Region are set to currently, go to:

1. SETUP
2. TV ASPECT
3. SELECT 16:9
4. PRESS 1397139 ON THE REMOTE
5. PRESS ENTER

Then once you know this:

1. Turn the LG BH200 on
2. Open the tray, with no disc in the tray
3. Press PAUSE, 1, 4, 7, 2
4. Change the fourth HEX value to 96. So for USA/Canadian Models it reads: 55 53 00 96 00 05 00 40
5. Press PAUSE to close EEPROM Menu

6. Turn the LG BH200 off

Whatever the string is you just want to change the fourth value to 96. DON'T change the other values. Make a note of what the string is before you change it and if you wish you can always put it back afterwards (it's likely to be: 55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40). 00 is the default value in The USA/Canada.

You will then see what the SD DVD and BD Region code is set to. Is it still SD DVD Region 1 and BD Region A?

If it doesn't change anything I'd recommend putting it back to 00, or 8D if you wish to enable PAL support.

Thanks.

ill try this when i get home if nobody else beats me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

If it doesn't change anything I'd recommend putting it back to 00, or 8D if you wish to enable PAL support.

Thanks.

I assume 82 works as well, i think thats what i set mine too....whichever string is listed first on the front page of the faq. just checking.
Worstepisodeever is offline  
post #37 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Member
 
Worstepisodeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ah, nevermind. i just read the update that 82 disables the Update option. need to make a note of that and change it to 8D when i get home.
Worstepisodeever is offline  
post #38 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstepisodeever View Post

ah, nevermind. i just read the update that 82 disables the Update option. need to make a note of that and change it to 8D when i get home.

Please double check it does disable it in your case. It would be handy to have a second user confirm this is the case. Even though Peterjcat has switched his to Region B it would be useful if someone else confirmed it too (i.e - value 96).

Thanks in advance.
bradavon is offline  
post #39 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If the last 5 bits control Regions......
96 - The last 5 bits are set to 22
Zone B - Region 2?

It still doesnt make sense as to why the USA is 0 though.
Krobar is offline  
post #40 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

If the last 5 bits control Regions......
96 - The last 5 bits are set to 22

Sorry I don't follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

It still doesnt make sense as to why the USA is 0 though.

My thinking is the USA is DVD Region 1 and it's also BD Region A, the USA also tends to lead and others follow. So 00 would follow with that pattern.

That's just a guess though.
bradavon is offline  
post #41 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
peterjcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

WOW! I'm impressed.

* What was the SD DVD Region?
* Could you still play PAL Region 2 SD DVDs?
* I presume you could then not play Region A BDs?
* Is the Network Update option still available?

Actually it probably doesn't matter too much what the SD DVD Region number said (as we have the RMTM CD) but it's still worth knowing.

SD DVD Region was 0 as set by the RMTM CD. It looks like, if you run the RMTM CD, you can't subsequently change the SD region code using the Byte 4. SD region coding can only be changed using the RMTM CD again. This doesn't seem to be a problem except in testing what the EEPROM string means. Anyway, under 96 PAL playback is fine and there is no Network Update option.

Region A playback is not possible with 96 (tested with The Lives of Others, Sony, US, Region A Locked). However, you don't need to reboot the BH200 to change the BD region code. I was able to swap between Region A and B and play Region A- and B-locked movies using PAUSE-1-4-7-2 and changing Byte 4 between 8D and 96.

I guess we need some more non-US BH200 users to post their Byte 4s and see if we can work out the patterns. Ones I have tried are:

00 = 0000 0000 = R1/RA/NTSC/Network Update
80 = 1000 0000 = R1/RA/NTSC+PAL/Network Update
82 = 1000 0010 = R2/RA/NTSC+PAL/No Network Update
8D = 1000 1101 = R4/RA/NTSC+PAL/Network Update
96 = 1001 0110 = R2?/RB/NTSC+PAL/No Network Update

I don't know if the binary values are in any way significant, but it might be the case that Bit 1 enables PAL and maybe Bit 4 is the BD region code. The SD region code could be somewhere in Bits 5-8 but the pattern isn't obvious. Anyway it might not be binary at all, there could be an internal table that translates between the EEPROM numbers and a matrix of values.

I seem to remember that the BD region coding is designed such that there can be no such thing as a multi-region BD player, it has to decide each time whether it's going to be A, B or C. All of the (hardware!) BD multi-region solutions have involved switching between A or B. So we may be out of luck finding a single EEPROM value that will allow A/B/C playback, but the little LG has already surprised us.

As far as I know this is by far the simplest way to play an off-region BD in any BD player. The others involve hardware or flashing the whole firmware. Ours doesn't even need a reboot, though you need to be handy with the remote.

I'd love to sit here and test all the possible Byte 4 values, but given the risk of bricking I might leave that to someone who lives closer to where they bought the unit.
peterjcat is offline  
post #42 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AlftaGT (Swiss Player) has PMed me saying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGT View Post

"I changed my 4th digit from 96 to 8D (Australia: NTSC, PAL & Network-Support) - Result:

* Finally had in the others-menu the long awaited point to make fw-updates over ethernet
* Thats the annoying point: My BR-Region changed from Region B to Region A.

Yes, I already found out that Australia is in B too. But I really set it to 8D and was no longer able to look my Fox and Disney Region B Blu's . There appeared a pop-up when playing the disc: "This FOX Blu-ray disc is ......blablabla (I don't remember)". I didn't check the region info window, but I tried Region B Blu-rays and Code 1 and 2 DVD's

Perhaps the 8D is something other on the BH200 than on the BH100??"

It's occurred to me all the users who've so far tested 8D are using an American BH200 so would be on Region A anyway. The user with a BH100 definitely has a Region B BD Player though (the guy who posted his was 8D originally):

"My player is an Australian player and is SD-DVD region coded to Region 4"

Source: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=720

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:


All of the (hardware!) BD multi-region solutions have involved switching between A or B.

Good point . That's how that Dutch company does it, you do it on the remote.

Quote:


As far as I know this is by far the simplest way to play an off-region BD in any BD player. The others involve hardware or flashing the whole firmware. Ours doesn't even need a reboot, though you need to be handy with the remote.

Agreed. I would be wary about switching back and forth between values in the EEPROm "too much" though. You wouldn't want to brick the Player.

Quote:


I don't know if the binary values are in any way significant.

Where are you getting the binary number from btw?

Great post btw, good work there.
bradavon is offline  
post #43 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
peterjcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's just the hex code expressed in binary -- that's what Krobar was talking about with the last 5 bits.
peterjcat is offline  
post #44 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Following from the likelihood 8D on the BH200 means BD Region A (but on the BH100 it means Region B), these two codes would seem the most useful:

8D = R4/RA/NTSC+PAL/Network Update
96 = R2?/RB/NTSC+PAL/No Network Update

At least we have a some way to switch between Regions, even if it is a bit messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

It's just the hex code expressed in binary -- that's what Krobar was talking about with the last 5 bits.

Understood, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

I guess we need some more non-US BH200 users to post their Byte 4s and see if we can work out the patterns.

Agreed. The Non-USA/Canadian members I know of are:

AlfaGT - Region B bought in Switzerland - Fourth value 96
Krobar - Region B bought in Belgium - On order
ISO-HD - Region B bought in France - Fourth value unknown
Julio Cohen - Mexican but he has a USA BH200
StardustOne - Swiss but he has a USA BH200
Bradavon - I'll hopefully have one soon

I PMed ISO-HD earlier tonight, if he replies I'll ask him to let me know his EEPROM string.
bradavon is offline  
post #45 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Peterjcat: When you set your USA BH200 to 8D did the Region Info window say it was set to SD DVD Region 4?

Irrespective of what you'd set with the RMTM CD, clearly this (as you say) overrides the EEPROM menus SD DVD Region setting.

The reason I am asking possibly the obvious is South America is:

* BD Region A
* SD DVD Region 4

I bet that's what 8D is meant for: South America
bradavon is offline  
post #46 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Member
 
dring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Make a note of what the string is before you change it and if you wish you can always put it back afterwards (it's likely to be: 55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40). 00 is the default value in The USA/Canada.

My Canadian BH200 originally had EEPROM value 43 41 00 01 00 05 00 40.

The initial 43 41 is ASCII hex for "CA", the country code for Canada.

Interestingly, the fourth byte was originally 01, not 00 as in the U.S. models. It had the same characteristics as the U.S. models, i.e., DVD Region 1, BD Region A, NTSC-only, Network Update available.

I have since changed that byte to 8D to enable PAL, thanks to the splendid info unearthed in this forum.
dring is offline  
post #47 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Dring

I don't suppose you could try replacing 8D with 96 and then report back what the:

* SD DVD Region
* BD Region

Are set to in the Region Info menu? You can see how to access this here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=155

By all means then put it back to 8D afterwords. It would be good to have further confirmation that 96 changes a BD Region A model to BD Region B, especially as your model is Canadian not USA.

p.s - Thanks for the info the default Canadian string differs. I've updated the Mini-FAQ.
bradavon is offline  
post #48 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
peterjcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Peterjcat: When you set your USA BH200 to 8D did the Region Info window say it was set to SD DVD Region 4?

Irrespective of what you'd set with the RMTM CD, clearly this (as you say) overrides the EEPROM menus SD DVD Region setting.

The reason I am asking possibly the obvious is South America is:

* BD Region A
* SD DVD Region 4

I bet that's what 8D is meant for: South America

Since I applied the RMTM CD, nothing changes the SD DVD setting in Region Info window. It's always whatever I set using the RMTM CD. Before I applied the RMTM CD, I didn't look at the display but using 8D the BH200 only played R4 SD DVDs.

The 8D came from an Australian BH100... it may be that 8D isn't "meant" for any BH200 -- certainly not the Australian once since that would be Region B, maybe a South American one but I don't know if LG is planning to release a South American version. It sure would be handy if they did!

It may just be coincidence that the BH100's 8D code has the observed effects on a BH200. It all does seem to point to the idea that the binary digits are significant.
peterjcat is offline  
post #49 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

Since I applied the RMTM CD, nothing changes the SD DVD setting in Region Info window. It's always whatever I set using the RMTM CD.

Thanks again Peter.

It would lend evidence to my theory the RMTM CD overrides whatever SD DVD Region is set in the EEPROM menu. I bet if you put it back to R1, changing the EEPROM value still wouldn't change it, the RMTM setting has now taken over.

Hopefully ISO-HD (France) will get back to me so we can see if his is set to 96 too. I'm sure Krobar (Belgium) will tell us his when it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

maybe a South American one but I don't know if LG is planning to release a South American version.

I don't know if they are either but it's certainly possible the code is for South America even if LG haven't actually released one there. The fact the Aussie BH100 is 8D and on the BH200 8D also sets it to SD DVD Region 4 is too big of a coincidence IMO, even if like you say the numbers don't quite add up (Australia is BD Region B). Not that it ultimately matters where the codes are meant for.

The sad truth is (except for the BH100) both LG and Samsung have all but given up on Combos outside of North America. Samsung of course even more so.

I heard in the UK, LGE will only allow a retailer to buy a minimum of 30 units. Who is going to buy 30? That's some risk when they've no idea how well they'll sell and virtually no one in the UK know they exist. If it wasn't for a few loyal fans (like me ) the thread over at AVForums.com (UK equivalent) would be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

It may just be coincidence that the BH100's 8D code has the observed effects on a BH200.

I think the EEPROM menu is the same but the codes each use are different, but some codes share similar functionality. We know for instance 02 does naff all on a BH200.
bradavon is offline  
post #50 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Member
 
dring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I don't suppose you could try replacing 8D with 96 and then report back what the:

* SD DVD Region
* BD Region

Are set to in the Region Info menu?

bradavon,

Note that I had previously used the RMTM CD to set the DVD region to 0. Therefore, my System Information screen was showing:

DVD Region: 0
BD Region: A

When I changed EEPROM byte 4 from 8D to 96, it then showed:

DVD Region: 0
BD Region: B

PAL was still enabled, and the Network Update menu item disappeared.

As you have noted, changing EEPROM byte 4 doesn't override the DVD Region setting made by the RMTM CD. However, I found that if you perform a Factory Reset by pressing PAUSE on the System Information screen, the DVD Region code does get changed to what you would expect, i.e., 8D -> R1, 96 -> R2. Note that this change does NOT occur when you perform a Factory Reset from the normal user menu (SETUP->OTHERS->Initialize->Factory Reset).
dring is offline  
post #51 of 332 Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Member
 
dring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Over in the BH100 thread, Krobar mentioned a few other "remote codes for LG users to try". Unfortunately, the one for turning HDCP off/on didn't do anything for me. But his third sequence did produce an interesting result. Entering:

PAUSE, 2, 4, 8, 6, 5

brought up a screen with three choices:

1. System Log, 2. ATAPI Log, 3. HDMI EDID

Entering 3 displayed the EDID info received from the display via HDMI, which might be useful, e.g., for determining if your display claims to support 50 Hz or 24 Hz resolutions.

But the especially interesting one, with respect to the topic of this thread, was choice number 1, System Log. That displays a typical log of software activity. You can page through it using the up and down direction keys on the remote. Press RETURN to get back to the choice among System, ATAPI, and EDID. Press RETURN again to get back to normal operation.

On about page 15 of the System Log it lists "Player Option Information". For my Canadian BH200 with its factory default setting, it gives the following info:

MODEL: SMB_PLAYER_CANADA
Country: CA
Option Code: 43 41 00 01 00 05 00 40
Initial Language: English
TVSystem: NTSC
BDRE: Enabled
BD: Enabled
BD9: Enabled
HDDVD: Enabled
3xDVD: Enabled
Screen Saver: 5
Show Mode: OFF
Admin Mode: OFF
Auto Power Off: ON

When I change EEPROM byte 4 to 8D, three of the above lines change value:

MODEL: Non name model
Option Code: 43 41 00 FFFFFF8D 00 05 00 40
TVSystem: PAL

(That's probably just a print formatting or conversion bug in the 4th byte of the Option Code, treating it as a signed byte, converted to a 32-bit hex value.)

I would guess that the above list of parameters are all encoded in the EEPROM string. That one labeled "BDRE" looks interesting; might it stand for something like "Blu-ray Disc Region Enforcement"?
dring is offline  
post #52 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
00 = 0000 0000 = R1/RA/NTSC/Network Update
80 = 1000 0000 = R1/RA/NTSC+PAL/Network Update
82 = 1000 0010 = R2/RA/NTSC+PAL/No Network Update
8D = 1000 1101 = R4/RA/NTSC+PAL/Network Update
96 = 1001 0110 = R2?/RB/NTSC+PAL/No Network Update

Looking at this a couple of things are known:
Bit 7 - If on enables PAL
Bit 6 - ?
Bit 5 - Part of BR Zone Control??
Bit 4 - Part Of BR zone Control
Bits 2 & 3 - Control SD Region
Bit 1 - If on disables Network
Bit 0 - ?

94 - Should enable network update on Euro Player

We need to find out if Bit 5 really is involved in Zone Control. Anyone willing to risk trying "A0"?
Krobar is offline  
post #53 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Member
 
AlfaGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post


94 - Should enable network update on Euro Player

I will try changing 96 on my Euro Player (Switzerland) to 94 to find out if it really enables me the network update - Will try this evening when back from work.

By the way: Thanks to All for the endless support and all the testing.
I think some day, we find out some interesting things that let us enable some cool features

Cheers
AlfaGT
AlfaGT is offline  
post #54 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Member
 
peterjcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Looking at this a couple of things are known:
Bit 7 - If on enables PAL
Bit 6 - ?
Bit 5 - Part of BR Zone Control??
Bit 4 - Part Of BR zone Control
Bits 2 & 3 - Control SD Region
Bit 1 - If on disables Network
Bit 0 - ?

94 - Should enable network update on Euro Player

We need to find out if Bit 5 really is involved in Zone Control. Anyone willing to risk trying "A0"?

These are supportable assumptions but I don't think we can call all of them "known" yet. For example, there are six DVD regions (plus Region 0) so you'd probably need three bits to cover all the possibilities. The Network setting might follow from the DVD region (eg if you're in Europe you don't get an update) but I guess we'll see when AlfaGT gets home

I would guess that BDRE stands for recordable Blu-ray discs, ie BD-REs. But maybe that's too prosaic.
peterjcat is offline  
post #55 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

These are supportable assumptions but I don't think we can call all of them "known" yet. For example, there are six DVD regions (plus Region 0) so you'd probably need three bits to cover all the possibilities. The Network setting might follow from the DVD region (eg if you're in Europe you don't get an update) but I guess we'll see when AlfaGT gets home

I would guess that BDRE stands for recordable Blu-ray discs, ie BD-REs. But maybe that's too prosaic.

As I mentioned earlier you need 3 bits to cover all dvd regions and 2 bits to cover all BD zones. Maybe LG thought only Regions 1-4 needed to be available.

I dont understand why they would tie in network connectivity with the DVD region but you are right that we are not 100% sure on what Bit 1 does so AlfaGT you may not want to try 94 just yet.
Krobar is offline  
post #56 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Member
 
AlfaGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

...we are not 100% sure on what Bit 1 does so AlfaGT you may not want to try 94 just yet.

Guys, you are really funny
Decisions, decisions, decisions.......shall I try or shall I not try

I've another 5 hrs to make my decision. I let you know

Cheers
AlfaGT
AlfaGT is offline  
post #57 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
peterjcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

I dont understand why they would tie in network connectivity with the DVD region but you are right that we are not 100% sure on what Bit 1 does so AlfaGT you may not want to try 94 just yet.

I just meant it as an example: not all the features are necessarily represented by discrete bits in the EEPROM. Since Network Update wasn't included until the most recent firmware, and maybe wasn't contemplated on first release, it might not have its own bit in the EEPROM. Then again, it might. We'll see what AlfaGT decides
peterjcat is offline  
post #58 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dring View Post

When I changed EEPROM byte 4 from 8D to 96, it then showed: DVD Region: 0, BD Region: B

PAL was still enabled, and the Network Update menu item disappeared.

Excellent. It's good to have a second confirmation. I wonder why Euro Players have the Network Update option disabled, weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dring View Post

However, I found that if you perform a Factory Reset by pressing PAUSE on the System Information screen, the DVD Region code does get changed to what you would expect, i.e., 8D -> R1, 96 -> R2.

So performing a Factory Reset puts it back. It's good to hear we have a way of reversing the change the RMTM CD makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dring View Post

Unfortunately, the one for turning HDCP off/on didn't do anything for me.

Is there a way to tell if HDCP is enabled/disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dring View Post

1. System Log, 2. ATAPI Log, 3. HDMI EDID

ATAPI log will be about the connection used from the physical drive to the Motherboard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATAPI

That's interesting news about the HDMI EDID log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dring View Post

I would guess that the above list of parameters are all encoded in the EEPROM string. That one labeled "BDRE" looks interesting; might it stand for something like "Blu-ray Disc Region Enforcement"?

I bet it just means Blu-ray Disc recordable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-RE

Especially as after BDRE is BD. On the Samsung Combo it doesn't work. I wonder what Admin Mode is for?

Great work there thanks Dring. I'll add the hack to look at System Info to the Mini-FAQ. I've not added about making changing the BH200's BD Region as I don't think testing is complete on that one yet.
bradavon is offline  
post #59 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bradavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South West, England
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGT View Post

Decisions, decisions, decisions.......shall I try or shall I not try

If it were me I'd probably try 94 but it's not an official code like 96 is so I'd have to give it some thought. Take Krobar and Peter's advice on this one though, they know more about how the binary values work than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Anyone willing to risk trying "A0"?

Are you planning to try this and 06 you mentioned previously? It maybe safer is someone like you tries them as you have a better understanding of how the binary codes work than AlfaGT and I.
bradavon is offline  
post #60 of 332 Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Member
 
robertpierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I changed my EEPROM code from 82 to 80. As indicated elsewhere, it restored the "network update" entry in the home menu, without affecting the PAL playback or BD region code. The SD DVD codes are controlled by the hack, so this change did not affect Region 0 display in the summary screen.... 80 seems to be as valid as 82 or 8D entries

BH 200 (55 53 00 80 00 05 00 40) PAL/NTSC w.Network Update and region code hack, F/W December 08, driver 702 connected by SPDIF to Yamaha HTR 6060 and by HDMI to Toshiba Monitor 26HL84
robertpierre is offline  
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off