LG BH200: Is anyone still experiencing VIDEO dropouts with March firmware? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 90 Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a newbie here so forgive me if I rehash old shtuff. I just connected my bh-200 and played my first movie in Blue Ray----- Mr. Brooks. I thought it was my system when the movie from the very beginning started dropping out. The sound remained but the picture would sometimes freeze and disappear or just disappear. I will be trying some more movies over this next weekend but if this player gives me fits I will return it and just get a dedicated blue ray player. Incidentally I do have the ps3 should I consider using it as the stand alone?

My equipment is sony vp-60, 108" dalite,sunfire tgV, sunfire sig amp 425wpc X 5, Direct Tv, all on Blue Jeans HDMI cabling. I know I am not supposed to list my equipment in my sig so I hope its ok to list it here so that there is a baseline for the equipment type and the blu ray issues.

edit: As the movie progressed the drop outs decreased and were gone during the last 1/2 hour of the movie. Totally unacceptable but I don't understand the lack of consistancy in the drop outs.????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Yeah know what you mean. Mine played up again last night even with the new firmware/drive installed. Played okay for 30-40mins then I put on Chronicles of Riddick and the troubles started...Could resurrect it no matter what disc i put in. Just kept dropping out and losing picture and as BADASP said the picture disappears and doesn't come back... really frustrating.
post #63 of 90 Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Hmmm... what you're reporting is different from what others have reported (or a worse case of it at least).

What I've experienced is split-second flashes where the screen goes black (and I think that's what others have reported).

I haven't heard of the picture freezing or it disappearing and not coming back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambo2000 View Post

Yeah know what you mean. Mine played up again last night even with the new firmware/drive installed. Played okay for 30-40mins then I put on Chronicles of Riddick and the troubles started...Could resurrect it no matter what disc i put in. Just kept dropping out and losing picture and as BADASP said the picture disappears and doesn't come back... really frustrating.

post #64 of 90 Old 08-20-2008, 06:55 PM

For anyone having HDMI dropout issues, keep reading... I can't promise this will work for you, but it did for me.

I played around with my setup (BH200->Onkyo 705->Sony TV) and I found that one of the inputs on my Onkyo seems to be more prone to HDMI handshake problems. So, if your amp or tv (whichever you're connecting to) has multiple inputs, try moving the cable to another input to see if it helps.

As well, I found that isolating the HDMI cable between the BH200 and my amp was really important (keep it away from power cables, and if it has to cross over a power cable, make sure it does so at a 90-degree angle.)

I think the HDMI handshaking is very touchy, and interference introduced into the cable (ie: from the eletromagnetic field generated by a power cable) can corrupt the handshaking, causing brief connection dropouts - theoretically, the worse the interference, the worse/longer the dropouts.)

I played around with my cables, and have eliminated my dropouts (knock on wood).
post #65 of 90 Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

For anyone having HDMI dropout issues, keep reading... I can't promise this will work for you, but it did for me.

I played around with my setup (BH200->Onkyo 705->Sony TV) and I found that one of the inputs on my Onkyo seems to be more prone to HDMI handshake problems. So, if your amp or tv (whichever you're connecting to) has multiple inputs, try moving the cable to another input to see if it helps.

As well, I found that isolating the HDMI cable between the BH200 and my amp was really important (keep it away from power cables, and if it has to cross over a power cable, make sure it does so at a 90-degree angle.)

I think the HDMI handshaking is very touchy, and interference introduced into the cable (ie: from the eletromagnetic field generated by a power cable) can corrupt the handshaking, causing brief connection dropouts - theoretically, the worse the interference, the worse/longer the dropouts.)

I played around with my cables, and have eliminated my dropouts (knock on wood).

stpat-- Thanks, I'll try something over the weekend but I am not sure how to avoid crossing over power cords etc., as my system, like most others I am sure, is kinda crowded with wires. I do have a couple of other inputs that I'll try though.
post #66 of 90 Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Mine is crowded too (tv, amp, cable box, xbox 360, BH200) but I was able to manage it. I have everything plugged into a home theatre UPS, and I had to move my UPS to do it, but it did the trick.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad asp View Post

stpat-- Thanks, I'll try something over the weekend but I am not sure how to avoid crossing over power cords etc., as my system, like most others I am sure, is kinda crowded with wires. I do have a couple of other inputs that I'll try though.

post #67 of 90 Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:

This makes a lot of sense to me. Given the numerous variables for the drop-out problems (and the wide variety of hardware) reported by the members here, I'd bet it's near impossible for LG to isolate a single cause that can be tied to the BH200 itself.

I, for example, have experienced only a single drop-out of the video variety, with HD DVDs (on Bourne Ultimatum). With BDs, a video drop -- usually just one -- occurs during every playback; the only variable is when during the film it happens. I've never had an audio drop-out (knock wood).

Like stpat I have the Onk705, but I have an LG display, which seems to be just the unwitting receiver of the signal glitches that cause these problems. My system was installed by a professional who ran all the cabling behind the walls and bundled the exposed portions neatly together (as any good installer would!), so I may have a tough time separating the HDMI cable from the others to test this theory...but I am going to give it a try. Seriously, it's the most cogent theory on why this is happening that I've read to date. Thanks, stpat, for the info. I hope others test your theory and report favorably on the results.

Cheers
Anna
post #68 of 90 Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM

The thing most people aren't aware of is that from an electrical point of view, the design of HDMI cables is vastly inferior to Component cables.

HDMI is more convenient (a single cable carrying everything), and Hollywood loves HDMI because it allows it them to copy protect their content, but it's a step backwards for the consumer.

Component cables are properly grounded and capable of very long runs without any problems.

HDMI cables on the other hand are typically equivalent to what's known as "twisted-pair"... very crappy shielding, and very prone to what is known as "digital cliff syndrome" (because it is digital, if enough information is lost due to resistance or interference, the picture cannot be assembled, and falls over "the cliff"). Many people trying to do long HDMI runs from a component closet to a projector find they start having problems arouns 20-30ft.

What badasp and hambo described recently sounds like it could kinda be "digital cliff", either from an HDMI perspective, or a from purely a digital info perspective (either the handshaking is getting corrupt, or just critical picture information.)

As for your installer bundling everything together neatly, any good installer would (hopefully) know not to bundle power cables with cables carrying signal/data.

It's just like in the music world... you don't run your mic or guitar cables parallel to power cables or else they're lying within the electromagnetic field and you'll get hum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx77 View Post

This makes a lot of sense to me. Given the numerous variables for the drop-out problems (and the wide variety of hardware) reported by the members here, I'd bet it's near impossible for LG to isolate a single cause that can be tied to the BH200 itself.

I, for example, have experienced only a single drop-out of the video variety, with HD DVDs (on Bourne Ultimatum). With BDs, a video drop -- usually just one -- occurs during every playback; the only variable is when during the film it happens. I've never had an audio drop-out (knock wood).

Like stpat I have the Onk705, but I have an LG display, which seems to be just the unwitting receiver of the signal glitches that cause these problems. My system was installed by a professional who ran all the cabling behind the walls and bundled the exposed portions neatly together (as any good installer would!), so I may have a tough time separating the HDMI cable from the others to test this theory...but I am going to give it a try. Seriously, it's the most cogent theory on why this is happening that I've read to date. Thanks, stpat, for the info. I hope others test your theory and report favorably on the results.

Cheers
Anna

post #69 of 90 Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:

As for your installer bundling everything together neatly, any good installer would (hopefully) know not to bundle power cables with cables carrying signal/data.

I can't swear that they are not right next to each other in that bundle, but I do know that they are not on opposite sides of the cabinet. (I've not looked since I am at work at present. I will have to take a look once I get home...) Maybe that's why I have not had such terrible problems as some others...? Who knows -- but my gut feeling is that you have fit a major piece of this annoying puzzle into place.

Perhaps my installer now owes me a favor...

Cheers
Anna
post #70 of 90 Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM

With the firmware updates and a second machine I still have these video dropouts. I even tried component out to rule out the HDMI. No change. I have come to the conclusion that LG is either unable to or unwilling to correct this. None of the other equipment I have, have ever done this on HDMI or video connections of all flavors.

Quote:

There hasn't been an update to this thread in a while and i was wondering how everyone who were experiencing dropouts are going nowdays with their units?

I ask because I've just bought one of these and it had the Nov07 firmware on it. I played a few BD with no issues, then i tried an HD and half way thru I got all these terrible video dropouts. I kicked the disc out and the turned off the machine but turning it back on it was no different. It has dropout now with just the menu running. So much so that the screen goes black and doesnt come back. Only way to fix it is to power off. I have since loaded the June firmware and while it seems stabler now i did have 1 dropout. [mind you it was late so didn't really get time to play around with it] I'll check again tonight.

I just wanted to know if this is still amajor issue or did the June firmware fix it for most?

Cheers

Cheers
Willy
post #71 of 90 Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 PM

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first I've heard of someone having dropouts over component...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

With the firmware updates and a second machine I still have these video dropouts. I even tried component out to rule out the HDMI. No change. I have come to the conclusion that LG is either unable to or unwilling to correct this. None of the other equipment I have, have ever done this on HDMI or video connections of all flavors.

post #72 of 90 Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Well, I looked last night, and this is indeed the case: the power cables are separate from the others, at a distance of about 18 inches. The former are bundled on the left, and the latter are bundled together on the right and disappear into the wall behind the 705. I guess he doesn't owe me a favor after all!

So my only experiment will be to try other HDMI inputs to see if that helps.

Cheers
Anna
post #73 of 90 Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

This is just an observation, but I've noticed that the dropouts only seem to occur within about 45 minutes of powering on the player. I'll see a dropout within 5 or 10 minutes after powering on, and then maybe one or two more a little while later. If I watch multiple movies back to back, the dropouts disappear after the first disc.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #74 of 90 Old 09-21-2008, 01:36 PM

I am seeing the exact same thing. Like Zombi3, it appears to go away after the player has been on a while. I thought it was just me, but after seeing it on a couple of discs, I verified that it only happens when the unit is turned on cold.
post #75 of 90 Old 09-21-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post

This is just an observation, but I've noticed that the dropouts only seem to occur within about 45 minutes of powering on the player. I'll see a dropout within 5 or 10 minutes after powering on, and then maybe one or two more a little while later. If I watch multiple movies back to back, the dropouts disappear after the first disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcoux View Post

I am seeing the exact same thing. Like Zombi3, it appears to go away after the player has been on a while. I thought it was just me, but after seeing it on a couple of discs, I verified that it only happens when the unit is turned on cold.

Same here, I have a March 2008 build date, with latest firmware (June '08) and Driver. Just got it at Bestbuy and debating whether I should deal with it and hope a new firmware update can fix it, return for cash (they no longer have other players in stock to exchange), or something else altogether. All I know is like mmarcoux, I thought it was just me and am reassured to know other's have experienced the exact same issue. I'd be interested to see everyone else's build date to see if it was the same time (March) to see if it was just a bad batch or what...
post #76 of 90 Old 09-21-2008, 04:39 PM

Mine is March 08 as well with the latest firmware. Like you, I can still return it and get my money back at Best Buy. Any advice on what to do ?
post #77 of 90 Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM

I have a March build date and a February build date in the closet. Been using the March one regularly without any audio or video drops. Out of the 15 discs I've thrown at it, I've only experience one drop out.
post #78 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Mine seems to have fixed itself - touch wood!

I swapped the HDMI cable and hdmi input it was going into in the amp and then changed the hdmi cable - and now its being going great since.

I would suggest playing with the cabling...

cheers
post #79 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 AM

That's what fixed my dropouts.

Quote:

Mine seems to have fixed itself - touch wood!

I swapped the HDMI cable and hdmi input it was going into in the amp and then changed the hdmi cable - and now its being going great since.

I would suggest playing with the cabling...

cheers

post #80 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM

I will try flipping the cables tonight. I actually have another HDMI cable going from my 360 to the tv which I can flip with. I love this player and my Best Buy is out, so hopefully this works . I really do not want to return it.
post #81 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 PM

This is odd, but for the first time I watched a movie without any video drops. It was Speed Racer on Blu-Ray. I don't believe it be the film however, although going to do further testing tonight. What I think did it (somehow) was two things. First I changed my HDMI cable, but the drops were continuing. Nonetheless, with the new cable I decided to change to 1080/24p. Odd thing is, my TV doesn't support 24p - but with all those changes, I watched my first full film with no video drops and it was lovely. I hope it continues, I'll post once more in a week or so after a few more movies, but keeping fingers crossed that it sticks! I was getting tired of drops and/or having to wait for my player to warm-up...
post #82 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by winklepr View Post

This is odd, but for the first time I watched a movie without any video drops. It was Speed Racer on Blu-Ray. I don't believe it be the film however, although going to do further testing tonight. What I think did it (somehow) was two things. First I changed my HDMI cable, but the drops were continuing. Nonetheless, with the new cable I decided to change to 1080/24p. Odd thing is, my TV doesn't support 24p - but with all those changes, I watched my first full film with no video drops and it was lovely. I hope it continues, I'll post once more in a week or so after a few more movies, but keeping fingers crossed that it sticks! I was getting tired of drops and/or having to wait for my player to warm-up...

Speed Racer doesn't even have high res audio according to all the posts on here. Did you bitstream it or internally decode the DD track?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1066923
post #83 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Speed Racer doesn't even have high res audio according to all the posts on here. Did you bitstream it or internally decode the DD track?

I'm confused what you mean... Do you think that my player is dropping video with movies that have high-res audio? It is possible I guess, like a processing issue or something? As for the audio, I've had my player set to DTS re-encode since day 1, so I guess it was re-encoded to DTS but probably indistinguishable from the DD track (at 640kbps I believe).
post #84 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 PM

Still had a dropout with the cables switched. I will try to isolate the cable so that it is not touching others in the bad. The dropout was with 10,000 BC...

...however, I had no dropouts with Speed Racer which I watched yesterday...

I have everything set to Pass-through for audio...
post #85 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Still had a dropout with the cables switched. I will try to isolate the cable so that it is not touching others in the bad. The dropout was with 10,000 BC...

...however, I had no dropouts with Speed Racer which I watched yesterday...

I have everything set to Pass-through for audio...

It sounds like we have the exact same issue(s), and why it's fine with Speed Racer is interesting. Maybe allargon's onto something with the non-high-res audio making a difference after all?
post #86 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Yeah, that I found interesting as well about Speed Racer. I had watched the Gauntlet with no dropouts a few weeks back. Saw dropouts on the Bucket List and 10,000 BC... but again only first 45 minutes... very strange...

I'm running this on a Samsung DLP. Could it be the TV?
post #87 of 90 Old 09-24-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that I found interesting as well about Speed Racer. I had watched the Gauntlet with no dropouts a few weeks back. Saw dropouts on the Bucket List and 10,000 BC... but again only first 45 minutes... very strange...

I'm running this on a Samsung DLP. Could it be the TV?

I'm planning on continuing through Smallville Season 7 Blu-Ray tonight so we'll see if there's any more dropouts on that front. As for your suggestion of the TV, I own a Toshiba and Vizio LCD, same deal on both. So no go on the Samsung DLP idea - but I didn't think it could be a TV issue... Also, not a receiver issue seeing as the HDMI goes strait from the BH200 to the TV. I'll keep you updated but I hope no more dropouts. If there are, I'll try ordering the best HDMI cable I can from monoprice.com (any recommendations AVS members?), try moving it even further away from other cables (in case there is still interference), or just keep my fingers crossed for a firmware update that resolves the issue... As always, open to everyone's continuing suggestions/solutions .
post #88 of 90 Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Good news! After changing my HDMI cable AND setting the output to 1080p24 I have not suffered a video drop. So far have only tested Speed Racer Blu-Ray (twice), Shooter HD DVD, and Smallville Season 7 Disc 1 Blu-Ray. Crossing fingers but this worked for me so maybe it'll help somebody else. That all being said, I am very happy with my purchase now! I can deal with 4x3 stretching, I could deal with Profile 1.1 Blu-Ray, and I can even deal with not being able to play my Clerks II HD DVD - but I wouldn't be able to continue dealing with video drops for the first 45 minutes of turning the player on. I hope this solution continues beyond the few discs I've tested so far, but wanted to update everyone and hope others can solve the issue through some of the suggestions provided so far!
post #89 of 90 Old 09-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Glad to hear it is not just my Samsung... I haven't changed the HDMI cable to a different brand-but have moved it away from the power cable. I have noticed very few dropouts but not watching every second of the films , thus I will keep the player. I still want to do some more testing. BluRays of Mr. Woodcock, Drillbit Taylor, Twister and Terminator 2 as well as Boston Legal S2 (2 episodes) worked fine this weekend... yep, busy weekend. So moving the cable away from the power may nave done the trick. I have this baby hooked up via Toshlink for sound, so the HDMI sound connection doesn't seem to hold water...
post #90 of 90 Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Liked: 11
After 50+ HD-DVD's, probably the same # of standard DVD's and only 2 Blu-Ray's, I have experienced no video or audio drop-outs. (Audio set to DTS re-encode and video 1080i over HDMI).
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page