LG BH200: Is anyone still experiencing VIDEO dropouts with March firmware? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone has had the issue of video dropouts since installing the March firmware. I have had this issue on several occasions, primarily with HD DVDs. I tried turning off the 1080p Film Mode option and while it seems the issue has improved somewhat, it has not been eliminated. I'm not sure how frequently the dropouts occurred before the March firmware came out, as I installed it right out of the box. Is anyone else still having this issue and if so, is it happening with HD DVD, BD, DVD, or all three?

Thanks.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post

I was wondering if anyone has had the issue of video dropouts since installing the March firmware. I have had this issue on several occasions, primarily with HD DVDs. I tried turning off the 1080p Film Mode option and while it seems the issue has improved somewhat, it has not been eliminated. I'm not sure how frequently the dropouts occurred before the March firmware came out, as I installed it right out of the box. Is anyone else still having this issue and if so, is it happening with HD DVD, BD, DVD, or all three?

Thanks.

I watched the first two Matrix movies last night. I had no actual audio or video dropouts. The only thing I noticed was on the first one. It seemed the sound quit for a fraction of a second. It was during a scene change. It might have been the layer change it was so quick. I'm running pass thru at the moment.

Cheers
Willy
post #3 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 AM

Maybe its me, but I think the BH200 does quicker layer changes than my XA2 did. I've watched entire movies and couldn't tell when the layer change took place.

Cheers
Willy
post #4 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, I am experiencing them... the screen goes black for a fraction of a second, buth sound remains fine.

Something interesting (but not conclusive) - I just bought this player recently, and haven't watched that many movies on it - maybe 5 or 6.

When I first got the player a few or two ago, I had it plugged into a different tv. I watched about 4 of the 6 movies on my first tv, and didn't notice a single drop-out.

I then got a new tv (my old was being problematic, and replaced under an extended warranty.) Since I got my new tv, I watched Ratatouille on Blu-ray, and noticed no drop outs.

But, I just watched some of Planet Earth on HD-DVD and HAD drop-outs. When I had one, I rewound the disc, and played it back, and the problem area was no longer a problem, but it did it in another part.

Unless the whole thing is purely random, it would suggest that the problem is dependent on the device connected at the other end of the HDMI cable...

So.... my question (and I'll probably post it in the main thread for more visibility is):

Does anyone know whether the drop-outs are a hardware problem for which LG is telling them to return the unit, or is it an HDMI handshake thing that has a chance of being fixed in firmware?

Someone posted that they spoke to LG, and LG replaced the main board for them and that seemed to fix the drop-outs for them.

Should anyone with dropouts be returning their player because of a hardware fault, or is this issue actually workable and being worked by LG? (as hinted by one of their technicians)....
post #5 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM

No video or audio dropouts of any kind for me. The player seems to work perfectly. I am very satisfied with it.

Lorenzo
post #6 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM

I had a screen freeze on Ratatouille, sound continued on but the cute little rat suddenly wasn't so animated as before. Rewind and play again fixed it. Also when I was playing one of the special features the screen blanked out completely and wouldn't come back without a power cycle. Haven't tried it again. I think this has been a challenging disc for a few players.
post #7 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I was watching The Matrix and in the first 2 minutes it blacked out for less than a second. If I had blinked I would have missed it. No audio drop outs though.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #8 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

I was watching The Matrix and in the first 2 minutes it blacked out for less than a second. If I had blinked I would have missed it. No audio drop outs though.

Sounds like exactly what I'm seeing too...
post #9 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Does anyone know whether the drop-outs are a hardware problem for which LG is telling them to return the unit, or is it an HDMI handshake thing that has a chance of being fixed in firmware?

I don't think it's a hardware problem because it only seems to happen with certain discs. I have watched Saw II & IV, Hostel I & II, and Day of the Dead on Blu-ray all the way through without issue (though I did see one dropout during a featurette on Hostel II).

The first video dropout I noticed during a movie was on the German HD DVD of Saw. It happened twice - once near the beginning and once near the end. I watched the HD DVD versions of The Frighteners, Scary Movie 4, and Saw III (Dutch Filmworks import) without any dropouts. I noticed a dropout near the beginning of Wolf Creek (Weinstein) - this is the disc that seems to give me the most trouble. Yesterday, I turned off the 1080p Film Mode option and rewatched Saw without any video dropouts. They are still present on Wolf Creek however. I watched about 20-30 minutes of Shaun of the Dead and Land of the Dead and so far no dropouts.

I think this should be able to be corrected with a firmware update, and my hope is that putting it out there will help get the ball rolling. Note that I have not experienced any audio dropouts with the BH200. I am running audio via optical cable into a Sony receiver, HDMI into the TV with the TV volume turned down all the way.

I had several video dropouts with my Toshiba XA2 as well, but it wasn't until I upgraded to Firmware 2.7 (which enabled 1080p/24) that this started to happen. After I began to notice dropouts, I set the player to 1080p/24 (even though my display is not 120hz) and that seemed to solve the problem. So this further leads me to believe it is a firmware issue and not hardware.

On a side note, turning off 1080p Film Mode also seemed to fix another minor issue. After a disc would load up, I noticed several instances where the video on studio logos would start about a second after the audio. Also, some issues I was having with Weinstein HD DVD menus (Feast and Wolf Creek) have disappeared after switching off this feature.

post #10 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 PM

So I've had my player for a week or two, and had no drop-outs before yesterday (although I got a new tv on friday, so that's another major variable in the equation)...

I was showing off Planet Earth to some people yesterday, and there was a split-second video dropout (audio was fine though).

I decided to check it out again this morning, to see if on the off-chance the video drop-out was in source material on the disc (you never know).

It didn't drop out at the same spot, but did during the opening credit page (where the sun breaks past the earth and the title is shown).

So for the hell of it, I decided to re-flash my firmware and hour ago (I had the March firmware installed, and just reflashed it on top of itself).

I just watched an hour of Planet Earth, and no drop outs.

So... is it random, or did re-flashing do something?

I know, watching for only an hour isn't very conclusive, but prior to reflashing, I rebooted the bh200 with Planet Earth in it 3 times, and each time I experienced a dropout.

I never downloaded the 702 driver, so the last maintenance operation I did was flashing the March firmware.

I wonder if this is a co-incidence or not.

If anyone else is having dropouts with the march firmware, can you try re-flashing to see if it fixes things temporarily?

Maybe there's a memory scribbler in the code/firmware...
post #11 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

stpat,

Is Planet Earth the only disc you're having trouble with?

post #12 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:

stpat,

Is Planet Earth the only disc you're having trouble with?

Yes, so far.

But, I watched this whole disc (disc 1) before without any problems. It just kind of seems to have started acting up yesterday, and continued today (as I said in my previous post, I tried this disc 3 times this morning, and I had drop-outs all 3 times)

I re-flashed, and watched 1 episode (50 minutes) without a drop-out...

Hmmm...

I guess it would have been good for me to try another disc in there before I reflashed it, but I didn't.
post #13 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I never downloaded the 702 driver, so the last maintenance operation I did was flashing the March firmware.

I haven't downloaded the 702 driver either (I have 701). I wonder if that might be the problem. Could some of you who are not experiencing video dropouts kindly confirm which driver you are running? Also, how do you upgrade the driver...just hook the player to the internet?

Thanks.

P.S.: I just tried to play Seed of Chucky HD DVD...video dropout less than 2 minutes into the movie.

post #14 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM

The intro and menu have no Video in HD version of Gods and Generals. Thats the only issue except sometimes when load it flashes a box that says video cannot be loaded
post #15 of 90 Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:

I haven't downloaded the 702 driver either (I have 701). I wonder if that might be the problem. Could some of you who are not experiencing video dropouts kindly confirm which driver you are running? Also, how do you upgrade the driver...just hook the player to the internet?

Thanks.

P.S.: I just tried to play Seed of Chucky HD DVD...video dropout less than 2 minutes into the movie.

I don't think the driver has anything to do with it (but I could be wrong).

Are you willing to try re-flashing to see if it fixes things?
post #16 of 90 Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 AM

I've been sticking in test discs, since I set the player up on Friday, but hadn't watched a full movie until last night. I popped in 'Michael Clayton' and maybe 2/3rds of the way through, I got a video drop out. The picture didn't pop back on immediately, so I did a rewind and watched that part again, without a drop out.

I have the March firmware installed and the 0702 driver. I reinstalled the March firmware, after downloading the 0702 driver, as well.

*shrugs*
post #17 of 90 Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't think the driver has anything to do with it (but I could be wrong).

Are you willing to try re-flashing to see if it fixes things?

I'm thinking about updating the driver when I get home, and then maybe re-flashing (as I believe others have done). I tend to think that if a re-flash was necessary, then some of the other problems with this player would have re-surfaced, such as audio dropouts and the DVD green line issue.

post #18 of 90 Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste View Post

I popped in 'Michael Clayton' and maybe 2/3rds of the way through, I got a video drop out.

Which format? I'm seeing the problem mainly with HD DVD so far. I haven't watched a standard DVD all the way through yet, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with DVD as well.

post #19 of 90 Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Which format? I'm seeing the problem mainly with HD DVD so far. I haven't watched a standard DVD all the way through yet, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with DVD as well.

I'm so used to being red-only, that I forget I've now got a growing collection of Blu, as well! In this case, the disc was HD DVD. I may pop in 'No Country for Old Men' and see if I have better success with Blu-Ray, this evening.

As for DVD, I recently ripped them all to hard drive, so I can't speak to whether or not that's an issue.
post #20 of 90 Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM

I spoke to LG Canada yesterday...they claimed to know nothing about the video dropouts and recommended I exchange my player, so I did that today.

I figure it can't hurt (well, there's always the chance I'd get a defective player, so that's not really true, but...).

Anyways, I just updated it to the March "beta" firmware, so I guess I'll see if it behaves any differently (I really doubt it though).

Question:

People (including myself) have reported brief video dropouts, but have stated the audio remained fine. In my case, I don't have an HDMI receiver, so I go HDMI to my TV for video, and use optical toslink for audio. If the problem is with the HDMI communication, it makes sense in my case that my audio doesn't drop out since it's not going oiver HDMI

Is anybody on here who is having video dropouts doing their audio via HDMI too?

I guess if I start experiencing dropouts, I could turn down my amp, and turn up the speakers on my tv to see if the audio is briefly dropping too...
post #21 of 90 Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

When I got home I updated the driver to 0702. Then I popped in Wolf Creek... video dropout in 3 minutes. So I re-installed the March firmware. Popped in Wolf Creek again...dropout in 2 minutes. I am beginning to get pissed.

I really don't want to have to exchange this player (I ordered it on line), especially since there is a chance that a replacement player will have the same issue. I hope this problem can be corrected with a new firmware update. I am finding these dropouts increasingly annoying!

post #22 of 90 Old 04-02-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:

When I got home I updated the driver to 0702. Then I popped in Wolf Creek... video dropout in 3 minutes. So I re-installed the March firmware. Popped in Wolf Creek again...dropout in 2 minutes. I am beginning to get pissed.

I really don't want to have to exchange this player (I ordered it on line), especially since there is a chance that a replacement player will have the same issue. I hope this problem can be corrected with a new firmware update. I am finding these dropouts increasingly annoying!

Well there goes that theory. I guess re-flashing doesn't have an impact.

Are you doing both audio and video over HDMI, or audio over toslink?
post #23 of 90 Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well there goes that theory. I guess re-flashing doesn't have an impact.

Audio over toslink. I haven't tried turning up the audio on the TV yet to see if the audio drops out over HDMI. I'll have to check that out.

How's your new player working so far?

post #24 of 90 Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Audio over toslink. I haven't tried turning up the audio on the TV yet to see if the audio drops out over HDMI. I'll have to check that out.

How's your new player working so far?

No dropouts yet, but I've only watched 1/2 of one movie.
post #25 of 90 Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I now have reason to believe that the cause of the dropouts is the HDMI connection. (I believe this is what has been referred to as a handshake issue.) I was playing with the BH200 settings before and all of a sudden my TV screen went blank, causing me to nearly have a heart attack because I thought my player was bricked. I flipped the HDMI cable around and the picture came back, but I still had intermittent dropouts. This is without a disc in the player. I've also noticed that every time I switch inputs to the BH200 on my TV (Sony 52XBR2), a box appears on the screen that says something like "unsupported audio signal, check input device". I had gotten the same message quite a few times when my Toshiba XA2 was hooked up. I also tried to switch out the HDMI cable with the one from my cable box, but I still lost picture. My feeling is that the problem is with the HDMI jack on the BH200, and the dropouts that some of us have been experiencing are not related to disc compatibility. If I had any patience left right now I'd hook up the component cables and see if there are still dropouts. Question is, if it is an problem with HDMI, can it be fixed with new firmware?

post #26 of 90 Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:

OK, I now have reason to believe that the cause of the dropouts is the HDMI connection. (I believe this is what has been referred to as a handshake issue.) I was playing with the BH200 settings before and all of a sudden my TV screen went blank, causing me to nearly have a heart attack because I thought my player was bricked. I flipped the HDMI cable around and the picture came back, but I still had intermittent dropouts. This is without a disc in the player. I've also noticed that every time I switch inputs to the BH200 on my TV (Sony 52XBR2), a box appears on the screen that says something like "unsupported audio signal, check input device". I had gotten the same message quite a few times when my Toshiba XA2 was hooked up. I also tried to switch out the HDMI cable with the one from my cable box, but I still lost picture. My feeling is that the problem is with the HDMI jack on the BH200, and the dropouts that some of us have been experiencing are not related to disc compatibility. If I had any patience left right now I'd hook up the component cables and see if there are still dropouts. Question is, if it is an problem with HDMI, can it be fixed with new firmware?

So you lost your picture permanently until you wiggled the cable?

By the way, yes I'm having dropouts with my new player (I just exchanged it yesterday).
post #27 of 90 Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So you lost your picture permanently until you wiggled the cable?

By the way, yes I'm having dropouts with my new player (I just exchanged it yesterday).

Well the first thing I did was hook the player up to another input on the TV with an RCA cable to see if I got the "Home" menu screen. That worked, so then I just reversed the HDMI connection (stuck the TV side of the cable into the player and vice versa). Picture came back, but then dropped out again when the cable wiggled. A couple of times the picture would stay blank for a while, and other times there would be brief dropouts very similar to those which occurred while watching a movie...only there was no disc in the player during this process.

post #28 of 90 Old 04-03-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:

Well the first thing I did was hook the player up to another input on the TV with an RCA cable to see if I got the "Home" menu screen. That worked, so then I just reversed the HDMI connection (stuck the TV side of the cable into the player and vice versa). Picture came back, but then dropped out again when the cable wiggled. A couple of times the picture would stay blank for a while, and other times there would be brief dropouts very similar to those which occurred while watching a movie...only there was no disc in the player during this process.

It sounds like you have a bad connection. I should try wiggling mine to see if it causes the picture to drop out/flicker...
post #29 of 90 Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My wife was watching a DVD on the BH200 yesterday and she told me that she noticed a video/audio dropout. In her case the audio was over HDMI into the TV (the receiver was off), so it definitely seems to me like an HDMI-related issue. I'm also still getting that message on the TV screen that says "unsupported audio signal - check output device" every time I turn the player on.

post #30 of 90 Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:

My wife was watching a DVD on the BH200 yesterday and she told me that she noticed a video/audio dropout. In her case the audio was over HDMI into the TV (the receiver was off), so it definitely seems to me like an HDMI-related issue. I'm also still getting that message on the TV screen that says "unsupported audio signal - check output device" every time I turn the player on.

I get that message too. I have a Sony KDS55A2020. I suspect that on boot up, the LG is sending some sort of audio format to the tv that it can't handle, but it quickly stops doing it.

I haven't tried wiggling my cables so I don't know if it'll affect my picture... have you confirmed that wiggling your cables caused your picture to drop out? (ie: was it a coincidence or can you reproduce it by wiggling the cable?)

My gut tells me it's an HDMI issue, but I wasn't thinking it was a physical problem (ie: a bad connection), I just figured something is happening handshake wise that's causing the HDCP to kick in or just some sort of random outage.

I wish the LG guys were more verbal in the forums. It'd be nice to know if they've made any ground investigating the issue (at one point, an LG engineer posted that he was looking into the dropouts, but he never posted again).
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page