BD-UP5000 Firmware Update Disaster - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Samsung BD-HD5000 and it's been great until I did a firware update today. Now when I turn it on it just sits and says "LOAD" or if I power it up from standby by pressing Open/Close it just says "OPEN". Is there a way of restoring the machine to the previous update of has anybody got any ideas for a solution. I live in New Zealand and im hoping it hasn't detected that and locked up on me..cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure it won't be an issue because you live in New Zealand. Did the firmware upgrade go through correctly?

Have you tried re-installing the 1.2 firmware? If that'd doesn't work, have you tried re-installing the version that was shipped with the Player? Have you tried resetting to factory defaults and leaving it unplugged over night? Otherwise it will probably need to go in for repair.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
From what I've read, there is one other person share the same fate as you. Unfortunately, you machine is toasted. You need send it in to Samsung to get it repaired. It is obviously firmware update gone bad. Did you upgrade it via ethernet to version 1.2? Next time, try use a CD to upgrade.
post #4 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC NZ View Post

I purchased a Samsung BD-HD5000 and it's been great until I did a firware update today. Now when I turn it on it just sits and says "LOAD" or if I power it up from standby by pressing Open/Close it just says "OPEN". Is there a way of restoring the machine to the previous update of has anybody got any ideas for a solution. I live in New Zealand and im hoping it hasn't detected that and locked up on me..cheers

Mine does that too on occasion.
Just turn it off and wait a minute and try it again.
Sometimes I need to turn it off and on a couple of times.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post

Same here. Sounds like pretty bad programming skill from Samsung. I've learnt to always turn it on/off twice before I play any disc.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Has the Sammy been released in Kiwiland? If not it could be tricky to send back.

I hope my eventual Combo Player doesn't die because sending it back to America would be tricky. It's a grey area whether domestic support will touch international players, especially ones locked to 100 voltage.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Same here. Sounds like pretty bad programming skill from Samsung. I've learnt to always turn it on/off twice before I play any disc.

Huh, I've never had that happen in mine. Maybe there is a slight hardware flaw in your guys' units? Perhaps something that's not quite working right when the unit is cold?

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #8 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yup, haven't seen that either.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post

Huh, I've never had that happen in mine. Maybe there is a slight hardware flaw in your guys' units? Perhaps something that's not quite working right when the unit is cold?

The thing is the player works flawless otherwise. I'm not going to return it (Amazon.com) and get another one that has more issues. You never know with Samsung quality control.

It could also be the combination of a few other factors: use of Harmony Remote, 1080p HDMI handshake with my Panasonic DLP etc. It only happens when you power it on.

Also, when I update the firmware to 1.2, the player suppose to reboot after it's done. Mine never did that. It kind of like frozen after it is done. Manually power cycle worked fine.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Well, as long as Samsung fixes the audio drpos and TrueHD more than 2 channels, then I'll be happy for a LONG time. Profile 1.1 is only secondary and I can live without it. Profile 2.0 isn't even on my mind.
post #11 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a feeling the audio/video drop outs are proving very tricky for LG and Samsung to 100% source the root problem of. They could be a flaw with the decoding chip used in both.

It's about time Sammy fixed TrueHD though.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post

Yeah IDK why it does it and it doesn't do it all the time and not enough for it to bother me.
I just turn it off and on again and its fine after that.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-19-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input people, yes it's still the same and I left it over night. The firmware update was done by ethernet connection (won't do that again) Will need to send back to the US as local distributor won't want to know. Is the only reset possible by pressing the next track button or is there something else that can bring it to shipping condition with out using the menu (as it wont power up on screen)..cheers
post #14 of 29 Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC NZ View Post

Thanks for the input people, yes it's still the same and I left it over night. The firmware update was done by ethernet connection (won't do that again) Will need to send back to the US as local distributor won't want to know. Is the only reset possible by pressing the next track button or is there something else that can bring it to shipping condition with out using the menu (as it wont power up on screen)..cheers

this happened to me on the disc upgrade ... my guess is it wiped out all the firmware. If i turned on the system all it would do is say "load" and never change from that. It would say Load for like 20 minutes. The only way to get it to open was to power it on by hitting the eject button, but then once the door closed it would go back to attempt to load and I couldnt do anything w/o aside from powering it down. I sent it back (to CVE), it took 4 weeks for service to realize it couldnt be fix and send me a new player. It also took about 7 phone calls to have this pushed through. Definitely the last Samsung product I will ever purchase.
post #15 of 29 Old 04-22-2008, 04:11 PM

I suffered the same problem, but mine was related to updating the firmware via the internet. I successfully downloaded and updated the firmware to v1.2and the player worked fine, until took the internet connection out and hooked it back up to my Tivo box. Next time I tried to use it, it froze. I tried everything suggested on this forum and others, but nothing worked. Luckily, it was still within thirty days, and it went back to Circuit City. I decided to gamble and exchanged it for a new unit because it's still the best option for me right now, but I did the firmware update via CD this time around. It went fine. Let's hope it continues that way...
post #16 of 29 Old 05-15-2008, 12:06 AM

Samsung's BD-UP5000 bluray player was included on the list of the Best Stuff in The PC magazine.
http://goitworld.blogspot.com/2008/0...-magazine.html
post #17 of 29 Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 323
cough cough aaaaaachoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good find but probably would have been better served putting it in the main thread instead of this one thats been dead since 4/22
post #18 of 29 Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 AM

How do you update the FW via the Internet?

TIA
post #19 of 29 Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Connect your player to the internet and click 'Update Firmware'. Please read the thread carefully. Some ppl bricked their players by updating via internet. I'd burn a CD and use that to update just to be safe.
post #20 of 29 Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Connect your player to the internet and click 'Update Firmware'.

I have a 4-port router that I plan on connecting the 5K to. Once I get it connected with an ethernet cable, what are the steps from the and where do I click on the "update firmware?"
post #21 of 29 Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

It isn't that complicated to do. Just hit the setup button and follow the instructions on screen. There will be an item called 'Update Firmware' displayed.

Like I said, using a firmware CD is strongly recommended. If you have trouble burn your own CD, you can ask Samsung to send you one for free.
post #22 of 29 Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman71 View Post

I have a 4-port router that I plan on connecting the 5K to. Once I get it connected with an ethernet cable, what are the steps from the and where do I click on the "update firmware?"

Let's see if I can pull this memory..

With No Disc in the player, press Menu. Then I think it is SYSTEM -> System Settings -> Update Software (?)

edit -it is actually "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> "System Update". However, from what I have read it takes MUCH longer to update it over the net, then it does to download the .iso, burn it to cd, and update locally.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #23 of 29 Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Thanks! I'm going to try this tonight. Hopefully my Internet connection treats me right.
post #24 of 29 Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsc23 View Post

this happened to me on the disc upgrade ... my guess is it wiped out all the firmware. If i turned on the system all it would do is say "load" and never change from that. It would say Load for like 20 minutes. The only way to get it to open was to power it on by hitting the eject button, but then once the door closed it would go back to attempt to load and I couldnt do anything w/o aside from powering it down. I sent it back (to CVE), it took 4 weeks for service to realize it couldnt be fix and send me a new player. It also took about 7 phone calls to have this pushed through. Definitely the last Samsung product I will ever purchase.

Same thing just happened to me using Samsung's own 1.3 udate disc. Unit froze. Reads 'Load' but unable to open drawer (although I was able to close the drawer which HAD been open -as stated on Samsung's site it would - while firmware was loading, yet couldn't open it again) or even bring up the menu. Firmware never completed loading after more than 30 minutes while instructions said it should take 10-15 mins. I presume it wasn't taking at that point so I closed the drawer. Have tried every suggestion, turning on and off, unplugging, using fast forward button on machine. Seems I have to send it in for repair. First unit I've ever had to return since DVD first started! Damn nuisance!
post #25 of 29 Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM

I just got mine and its doing the same thing, but I successfully loaded 1.3. I watched POC at worlds end, then I went to check the SD upconversion by putting in LOTR and it just says loading, I've unpluged for over 10 minutes and still wont even eject the disk. I couldn't see a manual eject port (like in PC drives) so now I'm sort of stuck. I'm going to keep trying. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
post #26 of 29 Old 09-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Well after leaving it unplugged for 30 min and trying again, I was able to eject the disk. I'm going to try to re-load the firmware.
post #27 of 29 Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 View Post

Well after leaving it unplugged for 30 min and trying again, I was able to eject the disk. I'm going to try to re-load the firmware.

Glad to hear that. Make sure you followed the instructions closely, particularily don't close the tray after you take out the firmware disc. You can also perform a reset on the player. Instructions for reset can be found on manual (press and hold some key on the player during power on but I can't remember exactly which key to hold).
post #28 of 29 Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 PM

If it locks up again I'll look for the factory reset in the manual.

The wife has taken over the TV for a while, so it might be awhile before I can try again.

So after it verifies the firmware and ejects and shuts down do I take the disk out or not? The directions don't say either way. The first time I took it out, and I had the successful installation message, but maybe something didn't work quite right.

*Edit Just for reference, pressing the Skip forward button for more than 5 Seconds (with no Disk inserted) will clear persistent storage, and reset to factory settings
post #29 of 29 Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

After it ejects the disc, take it out but leave the tray open. The player will then power down after the firmware is updated. When I update my player from 1.0 to 1.2, my player just freeze after ejected the disc. Luckily, I manually power cycled the player and it worked fine. The firmware upgrade process of this player is very unstable.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page