Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Further discussion with the LG employee:

"That seems a little early to me for the BH300. That's not the date I have heard (not this year) but you never know LG might be pushing it out sooner since HD lost."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Further discussion with the LG employee:

"That seems a little early to me for the BH300. That's not the date I have heard (not this year) but you never know LG might be pushing it out sooner since HD lost."

Well here in Europe the BH200 is hard to get and really expensive, so I guess LG will start selling it here. IMHO it will shown at the IFA. If the wait till next year I think it would be far to late.

End of Line
post #63 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oops. I did check my maths but still got it wrong
How far ahead is America with Non-Subscription/Free Digital TV?

I'm not certain where Europe is at with Terrestrial DTV (I've not lived in Europe since 2000) so I don't know how to compare them with the US. What I can tell you is that in my market (Dallas-Fort Worth 4th largest in the US) there are currently 17 digital stations with 7 of those featuring HD programing. I am currently pulling in all of those stations with a set of $8 rabbit ears and I'm over 30 miles from the Antenna Farm. Oh and no license fees in the US either. That £139.50 ($271) a year that Brits pay for a color...er...colour tv license will get an American about 6 months of basic cable or satellite.

Quote:

I presume you can buy Digital Set top boxes for Analogue only TVs or does everyone in America have (Digital) Cable anyway?

The last numbers I saw said that 87% of American homes have either Cable or Satellite. The digital cut-off does not matter for those individuals since Cable will still be transmitting in analog for some time.

Back on Topic: I sure hope that July release date for the BH-300 is accurate. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the BH-200, but I'm waiting for prices to drop a bit more and I'm focused on saving up for a new Pre/Pro and Amp. I already have almost 90 HD DVDs (and a few BDs despite the fact that I can't play them) and I am anxious to take advantage of the HD sound I've been missing. That being the case I am having a hard time convincing the wife that it's cool to drop over $400 on an HDM Player when I'm getting ready to drop about $1400 on audio gear. Still if the BH-300 comes out the 200 will see more price drops and LG offered the BH-200 for a lower price than the BH-100 ($799 vs $999). I'm hoping the BH-300 will show up with an MSRP of $399 so I can get one for a street price of around $350.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #64 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post

What I can tell you is that in my market (Dallas-Fort Worth 4th largest in the US) there are currently 17 digital stations with 7 of those featuring HD programing.

I cannot comment on how far ahead Europe is either but can comment on The UK.

There is about 29 Free Digital channels, although some don't operate 24 hours a day. There is only 2-3 Free HD Channels (one being BBC HD which shows a mixture of BBC channels 1-4) but despite being free you need to pay a subscription to the Satellite or Cable operator to get the, weird? Yes. There are also several subscription sport, documentary and movie channels but those don't interest me as paying for TV doesn't interest me.

This is soon to change (I hear this month) with Freesat, which unsurprisingly will be Free TV over Satelite. Not only will it give HD to the masses (in theory) but Digital TV to all, currently due to the analogue broadcasting getting in the way only 75% of people can pick up free digital TV. In reality this isn't so much of a problem as many want subscription digital TV (satellite or cable) anyway.

Unlike America massive parts of The UK cannot get Cable. The cables companies have only laid piping into big towns and cities. I cannot see that changing any time soon.

What's a rabbit ear?

Quote:

Oh and no license fees in the US either. That £139.50 ($271) a year that Brits pay for a color...er...colour tv license will get an American about 6 months of basic cable or satellite.

To clarify The UK isn't the only European country. Germany, Ireland and few others have it too but agreed it's a cheek. It's not a licence fee it's a TAX by another name.

Also by channels vs. cost it's incredibly expensive. The £135 pays for only 4 TV channels, 7 radios stations, the BBC's website, their iPlayer (like YouTube) and some other bits and bobs.

The BBC have already proven they're more than capable of running a commercial station (BBC America). The reason it remains is the government makes a mint from it. To be fair the quality of the BBC's broadcasting is mostly excellent and far better than the rubbish on satellite stations but then other UK commercial channels are equally as good as they have adverts.

So I don't think the usual "the quality will drop" argument holds up well.

Quote:

The digital cut-off does not matter for those individuals since Cable will still be transmitting in analog for some time.

That's shocking. Analogue TV is awful quality. By the time it's switched off in my area (2010) I'll have had Digital TV for 11 years and not used the analogue TV since I have
post #65 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Tron View Post

If the wait till next year I think it would be far to late.

Agreed. If the BH300 doesn't get sold before Xmas it will be too late. LG need to capitalise on the HD-DVD crowd before it's too late.

Quote:

I sure hope that July release date for the BH-300 is accurate. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the BH-200, but I'm waiting for prices to drop a bit more and I'm focused on saving up for a new Pre/Pro and Amp.

I'm not convinced July is correct. Where is the usual company press release? July is less than 2 months away.

Quote:

I'm hoping the BH-300 will show up with an MSRP of $399 so I can get one for a street price of around $350.

Do you reckon that price is likely? The BH200 is only $450 in sales is it not? That's not it's regular price.

I'd be surprised if it's "that" low.
post #66 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I cannot comment on how far ahead Europe is either but can comment on The UK.

There is about 29 Free Digital channels, although some don't operate 24 hours a day. There is only 2-3 Free HD Channels (one being BBC HD which shows a mixture of BBC channels 1-4) but despite being free you need to pay a subscription to the Satellite or Cable operator to get the, weird? Yes. There are also several subscription sport, documentary and movie channels but those don't interest me as paying for TV doesn't interest me.

This is soon to change (I hear this month) with Freesat, which unsurprisingly will be Free TV over Satelite. Not only will it give HD to the masses (in theory) but Digital TV to all, currently due to the analogue broadcasting getting in the way only 75% of people can pick up free digital TV. In reality this isn't so much of a problem as many want subscription digital TV (satellite or cable) anyway.

Unlike America massive parts of The UK cannot get Cable. The cables companies have only laid piping into big towns and cities. I cannot see that changing any time soon.

What's a rabbit ear?

Rabbit ears are VHF ("V" shaped) focused set top antennas. The telescoping antennas look like the ears of a "hare." (American raised in Dixie trying to spell/use British English.) That's why we refer to them as rabbit ears.

In the US cable penetration is largely limited to suburbs and cities (population centers) as well. Most rural residents obtain programming via amplified tower antennas or satellite dishes. IPTV in nascent stages here.

There is some satellite content available for free called free to air (FTA). It's mostly limited to religious and public access programming. Popular sports, movie networks and premium content is usually only available via Dish Network, DirectTV (Sky's US cousin) or C-band.

Again, I wonder how the BH300 will differ from the BH200. DivX alone is not a compelling enough reason to update. If they are going to combine Netflix downloading (will need a hard drive), Blu-Ray and HD DVD playback, they should also add full media center capabilities--a la Quicktime, Realmedia and WMV in addition to Xvid/DivX, mp3, FLAC, Vorbis, etc.
post #67 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Allargon. We have those Rabbit Ears here too but virtually no one uses them, maybe in a holiday caravan . The vast majority of people who don't pay for TV (except the TAX oops license) use a roof aerial.

Sport, Movies etc... are Satellite (which for 99% of people means Sky) or Cable over here. For a 2-3 year period they were available over an aerial until the company went bankrupt in 2002, the stupid fools tried to take on the might of Rupert Murdock. You do see some people with Non-Sky HUGE satellite dishes outside their house but they're the minority and always look so ghastly to me.

IPTV has largely been a disaster over here. Companies like BT (British Telecom, who own all the telephone lines) have tried but so far virtually no one has bothered. I cannot see that changing any time soon. Standard TV with a PVR already gives you want IPTV can and IPTV isn't any cheaper.

What's an amplified tower antenna?

Quote:

Again, I wonder how the BH300 will differ from the BH200. DivX alone is not a compelling enough reason to update. If they are going to combine Netflix downloading (will need a hard drive), Blu-Ray and HD DVD playback, they should also add full media center capabilities--a la Quicktime, Realmedia and WMV in addition to Xvid/DivX, mp3, FLAC, Vorbis, etc.

Is that Netflix BH200 actually out?

If the BH300 does come I suspect it will offer BD Profile 2.0, Analogue outputs and better all processing. You know the sort of stuff which makes the player all round better but cannot be put on a Spec. sheet.
post #68 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 02:34 PM

If the BH300 could internally decode DTS-HD MA, that would be good. More processing power for the HDi and BD-J would also be handy -- the menus etc on the BH200 aren't nearly as smooth as on the standalones I've had. Usual things like startup & read times can always be improved. Oh and they could make the BD Region easier to change
post #69 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

What's an amplified tower antenna?

Is that Netflix BH200 actually out?

If the BH300 does come I suspect it will offer BD Profile 2.0, Analogue outputs and better all processing. You know the sort of stuff which makes the player all round better but cannot be put on a Spec. sheet.

I thought the BH300 was the Netflix BH200?

An amplified tower antenna is what you refer to as an aerial. It is the bane of most homeowner's associations, housewives with decor and those expecting good taste everywhere. Those are generally only seen in the boonies. Most suburban and urban residents don't need them, and most neighbors cringe at the thought of living next to someone with one. Of course, many condominiums (illegally) forbid the mini-dishes used by DirectTV (D*) and DishNetwork subscribers.
post #70 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

An amplified tower antenna is what you refer to as an aerial. It is the bane of most homeowner's associations, housewives with decor and those expecting good taste everywhere. Those are generally only seen in the boonies.

Interesting. Most over here prefer the look of aerials as you cannot see them unless you really look, they're usually stuck on the roof. A satellite dish however is stuck on the side (I'm guessing like your DirectTV) of the house and are always very visible, many people dislike them for that reason and almost universally landlords won't allow you to put up a satellite dish.

Boonies! I've not heard that word before . I've just Googled it.

Quote:

Most suburban and urban residents don't need them, and most neighbors cringe at the thought of living next to someone with one.

Maybe yours are more obvious. The aerial used in the UK you can barely see at all, you really have to be looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

More processing power for the HDi and BD-J would also be handy -- the menus etc on the BH200 aren't nearly as smooth as on the standalones I've had. Usual things like startup & read times can always be improved.

I'd put that kind of thing, plus audio/video drop outs above everything else. The BH200 is mostly "spec wise" already spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

Oh and they could make the BD Region easier to change

They could equally make it worse , but agreed that would be handy.

Quote:

I thought the BH300 was the Netflix BH200?

I don't believe so. I'm not sure what that model is called though or if it actually ever got released, did it?
post #71 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 AM

post #72 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schandorsky View Post

Here is an interesting article: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...123_24018.html

If that's true, then there won't be any BH300 and most likely BH200 may not be made into profile 2.0?
post #73 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Surely, it is a very tough decision for us to halt the production of the combos, however, we will stop manufacturing the Super Blu series from the second half of this year

Sounds like the BH200 will get another 6 months or so of production. Apparently Samsung stopped in February?!?. (March builds are in the wild)
post #74 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 AM

Well, I can understand it if they don't release the BH-300, but hopefully they'll follow through and upgrade the BH200 to profile 2.

It's basically almost there (everything is web-enabled on the HD-DVD side).

They seem to be devoted to their customers, so let's hope this continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

If that's true, then there won't be any BH300 and most likely BH200 may not be made into profile 2.0?

post #75 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with stpat. While we may not see the BH300 there's nothing to say we won't see Profile 2.0 on the BH200. LG are still supporting the BH100 so I can see them supporting the BH200 for awhile yet.

It's good to see LG release a BD Player too. Won't this be their first BD Player? Talk about being late to the party.

From that link:
Quote:

Combo players are less costly and more advanced in implementing new features such as Internet content

Why do they cost more then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Sounds like the BH200 will get another 6 months or so of production.

Agreed. It sounds like they'll make them for awhile yet.

I am dubious over Samsung's firmware upgrade though, which that ever now come? I guess we'll know in a few weeks if it's likely to happen.
post #76 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I think when they say less costly, they might mean less costly to produce two separate products as each group may want their own R&D money as opposed to one group that does a combo. It doesn't mean they would want to charge less. It's just my guess.
post #77 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, got you, thanks.
post #78 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Here is an interesting article: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...123_24018.html

``Surely, it is a very tough decision for us to halt the production of the combos, however, we will stop manufacturing the Super Blu series from the second half of this year,'' said a spokesman from LG Electronics.

Not a very good translation. When he said, "from the second half of the this year", I wonder if he meant before or in the second half of the year?
post #79 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd imagine they said it in Korean and it's been translated by a non-native of English.

I read it to mean as it says though "from the second half of this year". So I guess roughly June/July time, which translates to a fair few months before you cannot get them new any more.
post #80 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 AM

I, for one, would have no reason to buy a standalone bluray player if it wasn't combo. It's unfortunate...I'm glad to have both my bh200 and up5000.
post #81 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sounds like I pulled the trigger just in time on the BH 200!
post #82 of 156 Old 05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Not quite. It will be available for sale for a few months yet.
post #83 of 156 Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 AM

wasn`t there a news article from a few weeks ago that samsung is going to make combo drives for the computers?
post #84 of 156 Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. I think so, as do LG but that doesn't mean Combo Players. Combo drives are significantly easier to make.
post #85 of 156 Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I agree with stpat. While we may not see the BH300 there's nothing to say we won't see Profile 2.0 on the BH200. LG are still supporting the BH100 so I can see them supporting the BH200 for awhile yet.

It's good to see LG release a BD Player too. Won't this be their first BD Player? Talk about being late to the party.

From that link:

Agreed. It sounds like they'll make them for awhile yet.

I am dubious over Samsung's firmware upgrade though, which that ever now come? I guess we'll know in a few weeks if it's likely to happen.

+1

I support Region-Free/OAR!
post #86 of 156 Old 05-14-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully there will still be 200's available for a while, will probably pick up another one if LG fixes the dropouts.
post #87 of 156 Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Not quite. It will be available for sale for a few months yet.

Crutchfield is listing them already as discontinued.
post #88 of 156 Old 05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just because an item is discontinued doesn't mean it isn't available to buy in a new form. Until Jan of this year you could buy a new Sony HD DVR that was 'discontinued' in late 2005.

Discontinued normally means that they will stop producing new units. How long it takes them to get totally out of the supply chain is anyone's guess and depends on several factors.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #89 of 156 Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ti-Triodes. Have they definitely said Discontinued and not Out of Stock/No Plans to get any more?

As Sivartk says it will be awhile yet before you can no longer get them.
post #90 of 156 Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Crutchfield did the same thing for the BD-UP5000 a few weeks ago so no surprise here, especially after the announcement.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...00&i=305BD5000
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...200&i=689BH200

It's all over but the crying. I even entertained buying a BH200 but with 2 Samsungs, the usefulness would be short-lived.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page