Buy or No Buy? Samsung bd-up5000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys I just need your help, please! Second Act has the Samsung BD-UP5000 for $362 shipped. Taking all the issues that some have with the player, do you think I should purchase this player for that price? Keep in mind I only have a Bose 2.1 channel audio system.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 AM

I haven't had any major troubles with it. Sure a few discs don't work for me, but they tend to be more obscure or import HD DVDs. Everything else has been great so far. I should note that the first thing I did was update to the 1.2 firmware, so I don't have any experience with the older ones.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Same here.. and that's a great price! Hopefully not a refurb.. but if it is I would see if they have a good return policy or reasonably priced extended warranty.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The biggest issue with the samsung Blu-ray player"s" is that there firmware updates are far and few between, in order to allow your player to stay compatable with new/future release blu-ray movies regular firmware updates are crucial....
Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 AM

Refurb's aren't bad. They test the heck out of it. I have one and haven't had any problem except imported T2.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wouldn't LG BH200 be a better buy at this point? It supports the new audio formats unlike the Samsung unit.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM

I would suggest the LG at this point. I owned a 5000 when they first came out before getting tired of waiting for firmware and selling it. I got my BH200 on Friday and it is every bit as good as the 5000 in every respect, and better in some. Plus, the TrueHD decoding/bitstreaming now works and I think LG has been giving more consistent and helpful firmware updates than Samsung has been providing. I'd definitely recommend that route for you, even if you are only using two channels of audio. You can get a 5.1 speaker/receiver htib for less than the player will cost, and you don't want to be stuck with a underperforming player in the future when you do put in a more robust audio system.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post

You can get a 5.1 speaker/receiver htib for less than the player will cost, and you don't want to be stuck with a underperforming player in the future when you do put in a more robust audio system.

A valid point for some, but "more robust" only has to do with 'capability'. Many of us have high quality a/v processors or receivers which we would not part with just for on-board decoding of HD disks.
That's why the unavailability of analog 7.1 would be considered a deficiency for our systems. Not to say the Samsung is a full-up ready to go player, it is not.
But it all gets down to individual requirements when making choices.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

A valid point for some, but "more robust" only has to do with 'capability'. Many of us have high quality a/v processors or receivers which we would not part with just for on-board decoding of HD disks.
That's why the unavailability of analog 7.1 would be considered a deficiency for our systems. Not to say the Samsung is a full-up ready to go player, it is not.
But it all gets down to individual requirements when making choices.

I agree with that. If I had a really nice older amp/receiver I'd want the analog outs too, rather than spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace it with a newer model. That is certainly an important consideration to make.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Wouldn't LG BH200 be a better buy at this point? It supports the new audio formats unlike the Samsung unit.

But for $362, it's at least $100+ cheaper than the LG for a refurb.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Get what you pay for. Samsung doesn't seem to keen on the combo thing right now, LG just gave us a monster update for the BH200. I'd pay the $100 extra. Hell, I just did...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I always thought both duo players were in a niche market. I dislike Sammy for it's poor support in particular, but it's the most suitable machine for my setup.

Maybe LH has more models planned for the future, but the further away we get from the date HD DVD dropped off the map, the less interest any company will have in making a duo player. Something to think about...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Pass on it...

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM

I bought a refurb BD-UP5000 from Second Act a couple of weeks ago for the same price and it arrived in a couple of days in like-new condition. The player functions flawlessly so far on all the SD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs I have fed it. The Reon HQV is one of the best implementations for SD upconversion I have seen. I say save your money and buy the refurb.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Get what you pay for. Samsung doesn't seem to keen on the combo thing right now, LG just gave us a monster update for the BH200. I'd pay the $100 extra. Hell, I just did...

Agreed and agreed. I think there are certain things in life where you really do get what you pay for (toilet paper, mattresses, and in most cases ... home electronics). LG has provided excellent customer service, more timely firmware updates, on record continuing support of HD DVD, and with the latest April firmware have made the BH200 not only the best dual format player, but one of the best Blu-ray players currently on the market.

If you can spare the money, spend it and get something you'll love coming home to everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabber View Post

I bought a refurb BD-UP5000 from Second Act a couple of weeks ago for the same price and it arrived in a couple of days in like-new condition. The player functions flawlessly so far on all the SD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs I have fed it. The Reon HQV is one of the best implementations for SD upconversion I have seen. I say save your money and buy the refurb.

While I can't say every refurb is a lemon, I certainly can't say that they'll work like new either. My grandfather always said buying a used car was just buying someone else's problems. Granted, that was before the days of CarMaxx, but I still think if you can spend the money for something new (especially in the ever changing field of consumer electronics) then get something new; future-proof whenever possible to save money in the long run.

Refurb or not, I'd still suggest you get the LG over the Samsung. As many others have stated, the BH200 now has proven performance and with the April firmware it blows the competition away in terms of HD audio support. Many others, myself included, feel the Qdeo upscaling in the LG is as good as the HQV in the Samsung. When and if Samsung does release their new firmware, hopefully it will unlock the HD audio support and fix a lot of disk compatibility problems. But, when and if that does happen, I still feel more comfortable recommending the LG because of their customer support and commitment to HD DVD at least for a while longer compared to Samsung who've already cancelled one dual player and have made no public plans to continue to support the format.

The one and only reason I can think of to choose the Samsung over the LG is if you absolutely need the 7.1 analog outs. Otherwise, I just don't see it. And, for the record, I'm not a Samsung hater or anything like that. In fact, the BH200 is the first LG product I've ever bought and I'm currently leaning heavily towards buying a new Samsung PN-50A550 plasma over either a Panasonic or a Pioneer. My thoughts on the BH200 are based solely on my own experiences, research, and facts as of today.

Hope this helps and best wishes with whatever you decide on!

-C.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Refurb units apparently go through stringent testing (more stringent than new items) before getting released to the public, so fretting about that detail should not be of primary concern. Also, while LG has verbally pledged to support HD DVD, they've been awfully quiet on the front of new hardware forthcoming (BH300).
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Well, refurb is differnt from used. Used is not guaranteed perfect working condition by the factory whereas factory refurbed are. A lot of times, refurb are just units who didn't past the factory's original QA and had to be reworked before it even reached the perfect production lot. My refurb has been great to me.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Refurb units apparently go through stringent testing (more stringent than new items) before getting released to the public, so fretting about that detail should not be of primary concern. Also, while LG has verbally pledged to support HD DVD, they've been awfully quiet on the front of new hardware forthcoming (BH300).

I agree with you that refurb vs. new should not be the primary concern. If anything, that probably just comes down to personal preference.

And you're right, other than showing the BH300 at a few industry trade shows, LG has not been too forthcoming with details. But, when Toshiba withdrew from the HD DVD game LG did immediately issue a statement saying they had no plans of abandoning the format anytime soon. As LG was doing that, Samsung made no comment and then quickly cancelled the 5500.

At this point, we know that LG has made good on their promise of updated firmware which delivered on every advertised feature of the BH200. Will they release the BH300 and continue HD DVD support? Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know. But, we do know that Samsung isn't releasing the 5500 and still hasn't released a major firmware upgrade. That's why I think the LG is the better bet. For all those who've already purchased the Samsung 5000 and are pleased with it, I think that's great. However, for someone who hasn't purchased either (the same boat I was in a few weeks ago after months of researching), I simply think the LG makes more sense.

-C.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

Well, refurb is differnt from used. Used is not guaranteed perfect working condition by the factory whereas factory refurbed are. A lot of times, refurb are just units who didn't past the factory's original QA and had to be reworked before it even reached the perfect production lot. My refurb has been great to me.

You are absolutely right and I shouldn't have equated refurb to used; I apologize for that.

As I said in my above post, I think it really just comes down to personal preference ... what puts a bigger smile on your face? Getting a great piece of equipment and saving some major money or opening a factory sealed box with a shiny, new toy inside that no other consumer's ever touched before?!

-C.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 PM

That's a great comparison. But for $100+ to a almost new one, i'd go for the refurb, especially with gas prices so high. Gotta reallocate my spendings a bit. But for 362, that's a great price for a refurb if it's almost like new. (unless you get it from ebay which is, imo, a little bit more risky).
Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At that price, you won't regret the Samsung. I really enjoy mine, and I paid $675+tax. But you should wait until Samsung puts out the "May firmware update" that will fix everything (we hope). If you must buy something right now, get the LG.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
A typical AVS response (seeing that you have Bose) would be that you've already compromised on your speakers, why compromise on your HDM player as well. However, I'm not a typical AVS'er and would say if the 2 channel doesn't bother you, go for it. However, if you only need two channel then why not get the LG BH200 for around $400 on E-bay NEW? I considered the same thing--the 7.1 analog audio meant I could buy a cheap Onkyo TX-SR5** series receiver and not worry about missing out on lossless 7.1 channel audio. Oops, I'd still miss out except for the rapidly decreasing percentage of Blu-Ray and HD DVD discs (even more rare) that use PCM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

That's a great comparison. But for $100+ to a almost new one, i'd go for the refurb, especially with gas prices so high. Gotta reallocate my spendings a bit. But for 362, that's a great price for a refurb if it's almost like new. (unless you get it from ebay which is, imo, a little bit more risky).

Considering the labor warranty on a new Samsung is only 90 days anyway, it does not really matter. If you register online (new machine) they claim to add another 90days, although I think 6 mos is still sucky for anything new.
I can see refurb (from a warranty aspect) not a big issue in this case, especially if the savings are substantial.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Get the Samsung BD U5000.Incredible SD and BD picture.With firmware update,this unit has worked flawlessly.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:04 AM

I own both, and I would recommend the LG BH200. Great picture and the new HD audio formats? Get the LG.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The LG BH200 also:

1. Supports PAL
2. Is SD DVD Multiregion
3. Can be switched between BD Region A and BD Region B

None out of the box but all confirmed by many as working perfectly.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

The LG BH200 also:

1. Supports PAL
2. Is SD DVD Multiregion
3. Can be switched between BD Region A and BD Region B

1)I don't care
2)who cares?
2)so what........

Hear is the real deal:HQV and Reon.Try them both out(the Sammy and LG).Your eyes will tell you the truth.It is all about the picture quality of BD/HD DVD and SD.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Importing and multi-region are important to some, and the 5000 definitely does not work flawlessly with the latest firmware. That said, I have 2 BD-UP5000s.

And thanks to Crutchfield (coupled with their $20 coupon code good through the end of May), it looks like the BH200 is currently winning the price war ($430).
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 AM

A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to choose between the two players, with both at the exact same price. I ended up selecting the LG, because of the slightly better customer support (LG employees actually posting in the thread, regarding upcoming firmware!?) and because I have a newer receiver that was dying to accept bitstreamed next-gen codecs.

I've sold all of my DVDs, so I don't care about upscaling. Even still, QDEO is winning praise in the reviews that I have seen.

I'm extremely happy with my choice and I would make the same one today. I don't need analog, so the only difference to me is how responsive the company is to it's customers' needs. In that respect, Samsung is pretty much camatose, while LG is at least alive.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Huh?

I like how analog 7.1 works too!