Registering grey market players--yes or no? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-01-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Those of you that bought your Sammies and Lucky Gees off E-bay, Craigslist, etc., did you register your product?

Mine worked fine out of the box. However, if I had any problems down the road like with all of those Panny DMP-BD30's, Sammy BD-P1.4k's and Onkyo's breaking, I figure it would be easier to file warranty claim if I were registered (though not legally required in most states).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Those of you that bought your Sammies and Lucky Gees off E-bay, Craigslist, etc., did you register your product?

Mine worked fine out of the box. However, if I had any problems down the road like with all of those Panny DMP-BD30's, Sammy BD-P1.4k's and Onkyo's breaking, I figure it would be easier to file warranty claim if I were registered (though not legally required in most states).

I am not sure of LG, but typically the manufacturer will refuse warranty for gray market products. (They will make you pay for any work done).

No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Why wouldn't you register it? You've legally bought it, even before warranty is mentioned.

Besides if you've legally bought it new why wouldn't LG assist you? Presuming it's still in warranty and the warranty hasn't already been registered. If it's second hand then that would be different.

Grey market implies something dodgy has been happening when that isn't the case.

You may as well register it, even if as you say that tends to be optional (same here too).
post #4 of 20 Old 05-01-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was a new, sealed box. I'm registering it.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd imagine LG can tell from the serial number whether it's really new or the eBay guy lied and it's second hand. Meaning, as it's very likely to be new I'd imagine LG don't care if you bought it from eBay and will honour the warranty.

In other words I'd register it and I'm sure you'll be fine.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Absolutely!
Its your only chance to receive warranty work. You still may not get any; however at this time your chances are nil.
They built the dang thing, go ahead & send in the card.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #7 of 20 Old 05-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Man, if it was new in the box, I would register it. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers don't care as long as they don't have multiple registrations for the same product. I know I've got service help on stuff I've bought from ebay before. (Had to call about a hot tub heater once, believe it or not.) Twas no problem.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-02-2008, 12:47 PM

How is the machine, BTW?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360_4_EVER! View Post

Man, if it was new in the box, I would register it. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers don't care as long as they don't have multiple registrations for the same product.

Agreed. That's how I see it too.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Hello allargon,

Please let us know if you were able to register your BH200. As someone said LG will know from the serial number if it's the product sold in U.S. But if they allow you to register that will be great.

------------------------
I have dealt with gray market digital cameras from Nikon, Canon etc. Gray market for U.S. means the product was manufactured to be sold in some other country than U.S. It does not necessarily mean it's a used product. Typically the shady new york companies try to sell you the gray market cameras for cheaper than the the price of a U.S. camera. These gray market products will not carry the manufacturer warranty in U.S. and at least I know Nikon and Canon refuse to repair these products under warranty. These are manufactured by them but not meant to be sold in U.S.

I am interested in knowing how LG/Samsung handles it.

No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-04-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Many of the eBay sellers could be selling UK kit. There's nothing to say they aren't.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-04-2008, 05:59 AM

LG's policy is warranty for the product only if purchased through an authorized seller(bestbuy, circuit city etc. ). Normally ebay units will have no warranty through LG. Most units bought from auction sites are used and this voids the warranty since the warranty is for the original owner only.

Open box items purchased from bestbuy, circuit city etc come with a manufacturers warranty. Of course there are exceptions for everything but this is what is normally done.

Life is Good
post #13 of 20 Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

Most units bought from auction sites are used and this voids the warranty since the warranty is for the original owner only.

Presumably if it said it was New and had never been Registered there is nothing to say it is "Used" though. No? You can often tell if something us Used or New based on how it's been packaged from eBay goods.

That is presuming LG wouldn't want to see a receipt not from eBay, before they'll accept the warranty.

Thanks Samsungmaster btw for the heads up.

Quote:

It was a new, sealed box. I'm registering it.

Please update as how you get on, thanks .
post #14 of 20 Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 PM

It really does not matter if it was new or used when sold through an auction site. The receipt is what matters.

Life is Good
post #15 of 20 Old 05-04-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:

It really does not matter if it was new or used when sold through an auction site. The receipt is what matters.

Not necessarily true. If the item is a REFURB, it would have already had factory service and its serial number will already be on file with the manufacturer. At best, you might still get 90 days coverage.

If the item was in fact NEW and SEALED, you should ALWAYS register the item online right away even if it was purchased via an "unauthorized" dealer. Chances are that if something goes wrong later, Customer Service will more than likely just go by the date the item was registered and the fact that the serial number was VALID from their point of view. They may not even request the original sales receipt at that point (since you had already set up an account profile previously) and you could always claim you misplaced it.

However, try to get service later not ever having registered the product they will MOST CERTAINLY request a copy of the sales receipt to see where it came from. They could then deny coverage at their discretion.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
post #16 of 20 Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Samsungmaster.

It's the same in The UK the warranty isn't transferable, except (speaking generally) many companies will except eBay receipts as a valid proof of purchase (if it's new and not used).

As I'll probably have to import a BH200 and hook it up to a voltage converter I won't have any warranty anyway . Unless we can work out how to make a European BH200 support BD Region A that is.

Quote:

Customer Service will more than likely just go by the date the item was registered and the fact that the serial number was VALID from their point of view. They may not even request the original sales receipt at that point (since you had already set up an account profile previously) and you could always claim you misplaced it.

Again talking generally. I've had that work for me. They didn't even ask for a receipt.

There is also an element of the company trying to do their best by the customer, they don't want to anger the customer unnecessarily.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Considering my unit actually came from Best Buy, I registered it with no problem clicking the Best Buy option.

Sorry if I gave you guys a scare. I decided not to actually type in E-bay under other. (I chickened out.) (They only list Best Buy and Circuit City despite Fry's being an authorized reseller as listed options.) I put Best Buy's price (not what I paid on Fleabay) into the price paid as well. I'm 90% sure some employee got a good discount, etc. and decided to profit, etc.

Naturally, I was able to register it online without any issues.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Considering my unit actually came from Best Buy, I registered it with no problem clicking the Best Buy option.

Sorry if I gave you guys a scare. I decided not to actually type in E-bay under other. (I chickened out.) (They only list Best Buy and Circuit City despite Fry's being an authorized reseller as listed options.) I put Best Buy's price (not what I paid on Fleabay) into the price paid as well. I'm 90% sure some employee got a good discount, etc. and decided to profit, etc.

Naturally, I was able to register it online without any issues.

Thanks for clarifying. So it is not a gray market but a U.S. product.

post #19 of 20 Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM

So how does registering the BH200 work if I purchased it off ebay? It asked for location of my purchase...will they void it if I say ebay?
post #20 of 20 Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

So how does registering the BH200 work if I purchased it off ebay? It asked for location of my purchase...will they void it if I say ebay?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter if you never have to file a claim. However, do you know where your E-bay unit came from originally? Mine definitely came from Best Buy which is why I had no guilt checking Best Buy in the where purchased column.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page