Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 191 Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

I think you are the first person to have problems with DTS-HD that I know of. Granted, it's pretty rare to see DTS-HD, especially on the HD DVD format. As for DTS-HD Master Audio, the Pan's Labyrinth disk is the only domestic HD DVD I'm aware of that has that audio codec. With my Onkyo 705 and the BH200 set to Primary Pass-Thru, I show 7.1 on Pan's; that might be a receiver issue.

I read somewhere DTS-HD HR is just a rebranded regular DTS at full rate 1.5mbps, BH200 reports it as dts-HD 5.1 or 6.1 by hitting Display key, all the disc I tried has the same helicopter noise issue as DD+: Top Gun, Face/Off, Riddick.

Regarding DTS-HD MA 7.1 on Pan's Labyrinth, I really hope it's BH200's "fault" and can be fixed by firmware, as I'm not sure if Pioneer 9120TXH is capable of firmware update I played again, interestingly the beginning part (High Definition) before Menu is shown 7.1 source on my receiver and BH200 Display shows 7.1 too, however the movie itself is shown 5.1 source on receiver while BH200 Display shows 7.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 191 Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1225 View Post

I read somewhere DTS-HD HR is just a rebranded regular DTS at full rate 1.5mbps, BH200 reports it as dts-HD 5.1 or 6.1 by hitting Display key, all the disc I tried has the same helicopter noise issue as DD+: Top Gun, Face/Off, Riddick.

DTS-HD HR is apparently more than regular DTS. According to Wikipedia it goes up to 3mbps on HD DVD or 6mbps on BD, and can deliver 7.1 channels at 96khz/24-bit. The BH200 reports all kinds of DTS-HD as DTS-HD and doesn't seem to distinguish between HR and MA.
post #93 of 191 Old 05-16-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Regarding DTS-HD MA 7.1 on Pan's Labyrinth, I really hope it's BH200's "fault" and can be fixed by firmware, as I'm not sure if Pioneer 9120TXH is capable of firmware update I played again, interestingly the beginning part (High Definition) before Menu is shown 7.1 source on my receiver and BH200 Display shows 7.1 too, however the movie itself is shown 5.1 source on receiver while BH200 Display shows 7.1.

That's the fault of the disc. There were many complaints about the 5.1/7.1 on Pan's for both Blu and Red.

Pan's is the only mainstream movie DTS-HD MA disc on HD DVD. However, there are quite a few music and concert discs from Surround Records and others that used DTS-HD MA (or HR) on HD DVD.
post #94 of 191 Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I heard DD+ on BD only supports 7.1 audio meaning most of the time it cannot be used, so DD5.1 is used.

I'm sure DTS-HD HR is different to DTS. There wouldn't be much point in re-branding DTS as DTS-HD HR. I've read several reviews saying the DTS-HD HR is only 1.5Mbps but my thinking is they're all picking up the Core and not knowing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Pan's is the only mainstream movie DTS-HD MA disc on HD DVD. However, there are quite a few music and concert discs from Surround Records and others that used DTS-HD MA (or HR) on HD DVD.

In North America . Studio Canal (France) put out nearly 30 HD-DVDs, all with DTS-HD MA. Many were ported across Europe and Australasia. Terminator 2 is one example. You can see a list here -

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=4441

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

That's the fault of the disc. There were many complaints about the 5.1/7.1 on Pan's for both Blu and Red.

What's wrong with the audio on Pan's Labyrthing? I plan to pick up the USA BD. Thanks.

The UK BD and HD-DVD has better PQ but only DD5.1.
post #95 of 191 Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As someone else has already pointed out, there is a difference between DTS and DTS-HD, that's for sure. In fact, as I understand it, there's a bigger difference between DTS and DTS-HD than there is between DD and DD+. Wikipedia is a good source for all the technical details.

Quote:

Regarding DTS-HD MA 7.1 on Pan's Labyrinth, I really hope it's BH200's "fault" and can be fixed by firmware, as I'm not sure if Pioneer 9120TXH is capable of firmware update

That's interesting. I've never checked it on the BH200's display, just on my receiver. Like I said in my last post, I'm almost positive that my Onkyo 705 reported 7.1 correctly, but I'll double check tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

What's wrong with the audio on Pan's Labyrthing? I plan to pick up the USA BD. Thanks.

This is the first I've heard about there being a problem, so I'm not sure. But I can tell you that the audio sounds great! Whether or not it is correctly reported as 5.1 or 7.1 aside, I don't think it should make you reconsider your purchase as it certainly doesn't reflect negatively on what you'll hear.

-C.
post #96 of 191 Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Casey.

I'm a 5.1 user (well "currently" 5.0) so as long as that works I'll be happy. AFAIK the only difference between DD and DD+ is the latter support higher bitrates and up to 7.1.

Aren't DTS-HD HR and MA the same except one supports a higher lossless bitrate?
post #97 of 191 Old 05-16-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

AFAIK the only difference between DD and DD+ is the latter support higher bitrates and up to 7.1.

Aren't DTS-HD HR and MA the same except one supports a higher lossless bitrate?

Yes, you are correct about DD+; it enhances DD by offering a maximum bitrate of 1.5 and up to 7.1 discrete channels. From a cynical standpoint, one could say that just makes DD as good as DTS has been from years; but I'm not complaining because a well done DTS soundtrack at 1.5 mbps can sound damn good.

As for the difference between DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA, I can't say I know for sure but I think it is more complicated than just lossy vs. lossless. There's an audio tech from LA that was posting in another BH200 related thread a while back and explained (in almost mind boggling detail) the difference between DTS-HD and Master Audio and why a machine might offer DTS-HD decoding but not MA. Something about extensions? I think. Needless to say, DTS-HD MA offers some fantastic sounding audio, but it's apparently very "processor intensive," to put it in computer terms.

-C.

EDIT: for some really interesting (and, to be fair, pretty geeky) reading, check out these links to Wikipedia that explain in great detail what DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of and also why Dolby TrueHD is different, even though they both offer lossless audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...solution_Audio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD
post #98 of 191 Old 05-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:

DTS-HD MA caused some "issues" with receiver:

- titles from New Line on Denon/Pioneer/Sony: only able to detect 5.1 instead of 7.1 due to the way of encoding; some reports that on Onkyo, shown 7.1 but no sound from surround back
- DTS bomb on Onkyo/Yamaha due to faulty decoder chip

There are several threads in AVS, e.g. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=967535
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008620

There is always pain for early adopters
post #99 of 191 Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Casey. As I understand it DTS is more processor intensive than DD5.1 on DVDs.

Quote:

From a cynical standpoint, one could say that just makes DD as good as DTS has been from years

It wouldn't surprise me if Dolby considered this when thinking up DD+

Quote:

DTS-HD MA caused some "issues" with receiver:

- titles from New Line on Denon/Pioneer/Sony: only able to detect 5.1 instead of 7.1 due to the way of encoding; some reports that on Onkyo, shown 7.1 but no sound from surround back
- DTS bomb on Onkyo/Yamaha due to faulty decoder chip

Thanks.

I have the DTS Bomb fix saved, in case I need it.
post #100 of 191 Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefstar View Post

I believe this is now a confirmed bug. Now can anyone think of any way to test if the forced resolution setting is actually functioning properly? My guess is that somewhere the 200 is sending a 720 signal that is causing the Mitsu to shut down (protection) but that is only a guess. It could be also simplink issue, because it looks like mitsu used the DVI cable for thier monitorlink feature. But if that was the case why would your reciever be blocking a function command signal? That is why I think it has to do more with the forced resolution issue.

I've now added your bug report on the main page. After reading through the posts, I believe I understand what the problem is and why you think it might be happening. Please let me know if you think I got the wording right and if all the details have been included. Thanks!

-C.
post #101 of 191 Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:

2. When bitstreaming DD+ to a receiver via HDMI while watching a movie on HD DVD, there is sometimes a "motorboat" or "helicopter" sound. This has been confirmed by users with both Onkyo and Pioneer receivers. This seems only to affect DD+ on HD DVD and not Blu-ray. The bug is not always repeatable at the same play time or even on the same disk in many instances.

DD+ on blu-ray has "helicopter" sound with my Pioneer 9120TXH receiver, use a Dolby demo disc
post #102 of 191 Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM

FWIW, I tried some 4:3 aspect ratio standard dvd's on my setup which only uses component. The BH200 stretched the image as others have reported. Luckily I was able to change the aspect ratio to a correct image as my front PJ has a setting which it calls normal vs full were I normally have it set. My PJ is a Sanyo PLV 70 clone.
post #103 of 191 Old 05-24-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

On my Dad's Sony HDD/DVD Recorder, when connected by HDMI (and only HDMI) ALL the TV display modes become inactive, meaning all aspect ratios cannot be altered BUT in the Sony menu under HDMI is specifically an option for 4:3 content over HDMI.

On you get 4:3, off you get it stretched to 16:9. It even says on-screen, use this is if your TV won't let you adjust the display mode when using HDMI.

It's a pity LG don't offer such a function on the BH200.
post #104 of 191 Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

DD+ on blu-ray has "helicopter" sound with my Pioneer 9120TXH receiver, use a Dolby demo disc

I've corrected this on the main bug list. Thanks for letting me know!

-C.
post #105 of 191 Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to all those who have reported their problems. May I suggest also that those with issues report them to LG? There seems to be some evidence from the chat transcripts from 5K owners that their issues where heard by Samsung so letting LG know directly about our issues could hopefully bring about resolutions to our problems as well. I have reported the issues I have, hopefully with more reports these issues get fixed in future updates.
post #106 of 191 Old 05-30-2008, 06:17 PM

Hi. What Yamaha receivers have the DTS Bomb? The ones with HDMI inputs? I have a older unit, a 1400, and I hope I don't run into any sound issues.

Pat
post #107 of 191 Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A minor one but definitely a bug

BH200 Ouput mode: 1080I
Firmware: Janurary

Pixel / Overscan Results
Bluray 1080P: Perfect
HDDVD 1080P: Perfect
NTSC DVD: Clips top 4 Pixels
PAL DVD: Perfect
post #108 of 191 Old 06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

How on earth did you spot the top 4 pixels being missing?
post #109 of 191 Old 06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
My guess would be that Krobar has a display that doesn't have any overscan. I had an LCD like this and it was easy to tell when something was missing.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #110 of 191 Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought that was it but 4 pixels has to be so minute I'm not sure I'd even spot it.
post #111 of 191 Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How on earth did you spot the top 4 pixels being missing?

My projector has no overscan and its very easy to spot with the appropriate test patterns on DVE.
post #112 of 191 Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

French user BlackVador has mentioned Hybrid SACDs do not work in the LG BH200, at least on Euro models. I've tested this with my Belgium sourced player and annoyingly I get the same.

Hybrid SACDs have one Standard Redbook Audio CD layer and one SACD layer. I have never come across a DVD or CD Player that isn't able to pick up the Redbook Audio CD Layer before. This is annoying as I have a few Hybrid SACDs I was planning to continue to use on my BH200.

I've tried "Genesis: We Can't Dance" Hybrid SACD and the BH200 recognises it as a DATA Disc. It then obviously doesn't know what to do with it.

BlackVador's info is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14015215

I'm running the April Firmware and 0702 Driver.
post #113 of 191 Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM

I think I should report my "chapter skip" problem here. When I skip chapters (using the disc's menu, but it might also happen with the remote), sometimes my screen will go blank. The player will still show the spinning disc icon, but I'll get no video or sound. This happens on some HD DVDs, but I've yet to see it on any Blu-ray discs. In the end I have to power off the BH200 to get it to respond. Has anyone else experienced this?

I plan to do more testing this weekend. I'm not sure if this issue is disc-specific or not.
post #114 of 191 Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

BH200 Ouput mode: 1080I
Firmware: Janurary

Pixel / Overscan Results
Bluray 1080P: Perfect
HDDVD 1080P: Perfect
NTSC DVD: Clips top 4 Pixels
PAL DVD: Perfect

Krobar - before posting your bug, I have a couple of questions for you. I noticed you said you were using the January firmware. Have you tested this with the April firmware? If so, same results? Also, any particular reason you haven't updated (this last one is really just more of my own curiosity)? Thanks!

Quote:

French user BlackVador has mentioned Hybrid SACDs do not work in the LG BH200, at least on Euro models. I've tested this with my Belgium sourced player and annoyingly I get the same.

I have never come across a DVD or CD Player that isn't able to pick up the Redbook Audio CD Layer before. This is annoying as I have a few Hybrid SACDs I was planning to continue to use on my BH200.

Brad - I posted your bug. Do you know if anyone has tested this as of yet on a North American model? If not, anyone out there who would/could?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMaustus View Post

I think I should report my "chapter skip" problem here. When I skip chapters (using the disc's menu, but it might also happen with the remote), sometimes my screen will go blank. The player will still show the spinning disc icon, but I'll get no video or sound. This happens on some HD DVDs, but I've yet to see it on any Blu-ray discs. In the end I have to power off the BH200 to get it to respond.

DoctorMaustus - I'm holding off posting this until you do more testing. Please let us know what kind of result you end up with. Thanks!
post #115 of 191 Old 06-06-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Krobar - before posting your bug, I have a couple of questions for you. I noticed you said you were using the January firmware. Have you tested this with the April firmware? If so, same results? Also, any particular reason you haven't updated (this last one is really just more of my own curiosity)? Thanks!

Hi Casey,

I have not tried with the April firmware because it does not work with the HDDVD menus on quite a few BBC UK HDDVDs I have (Can't start main feature on some of them).

I will test with the April firmware once I've finished watching this Robin Hood HDDVD box set (Menus dont work properly on April).
post #116 of 191 Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

Brad - I posted your bug. Do you know if anyone has tested this as of yet on a North American model? If not, anyone out there who would/could?

Thanks for adding it. No I don't know if anyone has tried it in a NA Player but I've not read anything. I'd be very surprised if it works, especially as the April firmware used in my Euro Player says it's for USA/Canadian models only, on the LG Service Sites (i.e - it's the same firmware), but like you say you never know.

I also have my LG BG200 set to the EEPROM code of 80, which makes it North American Region A. My country code (first 2 sets of values in the EEPROM) string is also 55 53 which translates to US. I didn't change this, it's how it arrived out of the box.

FYI:

I've just tested it using the January firmware and setting my EEPROM code to 00 (USA default) and I get exactly the same result. To double check I re-flashed it back to April (and put it back to 80) and again, same thing. I don't think the EEPROM code has anything to do with it.

I tried a different Hybrid SACD this time (War of the Worlds) too. I tried it three times to be sure. You can mention it's a fault for Euro Players with both April and January firmware.

If someone could try an Hybrid SACD in a North American Player and report back, please.
post #117 of 191 Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If someone could try an Hybrid SACD in a North American Player and report back, please.

Just tried Dark Side of the Moon - no joy. Reads as data CD
post #118 of 191 Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for testing it Dundas.
post #119 of 191 Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 PM

As DD+ bitstreaming to Pioneer 9120TXH has only 'helicopter" sound, choose PCM Decode, sometimes I can hear low volume poping sound, definitely not loud or DTS bomb, feel like BH200 decoding issue, does anyone have the same issue?
post #120 of 191 Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean PCM Multi-Channel or DTS Re-encode?
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page