LG BH200: bug tracking thread (non-disk specific) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 191 Old 08-22-2009, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Saw my first full video/audio dropout with this player while watching the Aviator (near the beginning) HD DVD using latest firmware. Luckily, it didn't happen again...will be glad to move on from these dual format catastrophes after I finish watching my remainder of unopened HD DVDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 191 Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Saw my first full video/audio dropout with this player while watching the Aviator (near the beginning) HD DVD using latest firmware. Luckily, it didn't happen again...will be glad to move on from these dual format catastrophes after I finish watching my remainder of unopened HD DVDs.

Were your bistreaming? That needs to be mentioned.
post #183 of 191 Old 08-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Negative, decoding with the player (PCM). DD+ and bitstreaming with Pioneer receivers = recipe for noise.
post #184 of 191 Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Have updated the OP with current example (1/3/2010) of HDMI handshake issue apparently still causing audio or video drops.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17840447
post #185 of 191 Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM

I just started having this exact problem last night. Mine is connected to an Onkyo 606 via hdmi and a vintage Sansui 5500 via RCA L/R. I was playing the CD's through the Sansui when I noticed it. At first I thought there was something wrong with my speakers until I switched to a different source. I unplugged the LG and tried the CD again and it was fine. I turned everything off and came back later and the problem re-occurred. THis time I just ejected the disc, re-inserted and it went away.

Haven't tried the Onkyo when this was happening to see if it's affecting that receiver but that's my next step. Any thoughts why this occurring? This receiver has been pretty much flawless with everything I've played through up to this point. Thank you.
Tiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Son of a gun... don't know how long this has been going on, let me explain.
Our BH-200 was pretty much relegated to playing movies ever since we've had it. Well, today I decided to listen to some music CDs... usually I just play them from my HTPC but today I wanted to listen to a CD that I hadn't yet bothered to rip to the HD, so I thought I'd pop it into the BH-200 and see how it handles music. During the first song I thought I could hear a damaged EMIT tweeter... when I walked up and place my ear near to the suspected tweeter it was plain that there was bad distortion coming from it. I was bummed. So then I decided to also check the other main speaker, sure enough it produced the same distorted high freqs... I check the center channel same thing, etc. So it was either my Onkyo or the BH-200. I then ripped the CD to the HTPC and upon replaying from the HTPC every note was crystal clear. To make a longer story not as long... I eventually discovered that if I switch the BH-200 HDMI Audio in the menu to PCM and then back to Pass-thru the problem fixed itself, every note is crystal. However if I ejct and then put in either the same or another disc the distortion happens again until I go back into the menu and manually switch to PCM and then back to Pass-thru. Even though I never really use this player for listening to CDs it still bugs me. Has anyone else noticed something similar happening with their BH-200? Is it yet another bug in the new firmware update or is it something that has always been there (a known issue)? This sucks!

post #186 of 191 Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Does anyone know if the newer line of Pioneer Elite receivers decode dolby digital plus properly with this player? Specifically I am looking at the Pioneer Elite SC27 receiver. Thanks for your help
post #187 of 191 Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM

That would be good to know...though too late for me (already own an SC-05).
post #188 of 191 Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Not sure why they would not have addressed this issue as Dolby Digital Plus may turn into the next really popular broadcast format as True HD and Master Audio will likely not become standards anytime soon due to bandwidth limitations especially IF 3D gets big. It is already supported with the newest iterations of Windows Media Player so pc bitstreaming would be out. Have you tried to contact Pioneer? If yes, what was their answer? You may take the approach to Windows Media Player as the potentially changing factor in their decision.
post #189 of 191 Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 PM

I did last year...they denied any reports of the issue claiming I should go through the cumbersome task of taking it to a service center for diagnostic testing. I said no thanks. The CSR claimed he would look into the matter and report back if he heard anything, which of course didn't happen.
post #190 of 191 Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 PM

That is a little bit maddening from the perspective that it is listed as a working feature of the receiver but that it is actually not usable. Maybe I can take a player to demo somewhere and bring along a couple of discs. Does it drop frequently from your experience or only occasionally?
post #191 of 191 Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 AM

PCM is fine fortunately. Bitstreaming is the issue....it's more than a drop, it's completely unlistenable. It sounds as if the signal is being run through a lowpass filter IIRC (or there's an oscillating sound like it's been run through an LFO, my memory is hazy). This doesn't mean the SC-27 suffers from the same problem but it would be a good idea to demo in advance, or check in the owner's thread for more information.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page