post #61 of 146 Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

Just to clarify -- BrotherEstapol wants to know whether the multi-region hack will allow the US BH200 to play PAL DVDs; your first "Correct" implies that it will, but your second sentence implies that it won't.

Sorry I misread it and thought he said it "won't" play PAL. The second Correct was in response to his question asking if the Player will be Region A.

Quote:

BrotherEstapol, unless I've missed something the reports suggest that your BH200 won't play your PAL DVDs even with the current hack.

Correct. It's irrelevant what the TV supports as the Player cannot handle PAL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 146 Old 03-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Cannot you still get it to do that depending what audio option you choose? If there was a TrueHD 2.0 track it would be the way to go.

No worries. I didn't write that 2-channel PCM was gone. The limitation is what's gone at this point (i.e. we can now get multi-channel sound from a Dolby TrueHD source over SPDIF).

With the new firmware:
  • "SPDIF Primary pass-thru" player setting sends out Dolby TrueHD sources as 2-channel PCM. I could see the need for multi-channel DD from a multi-channel source though (i.e. the "hidden" track)
  • "SPDIF DTS re-encode" creates a DTS bitstream. If the source is multi-channel Dolby TrueHD, multi-channel DTS is output by the BH200 (as mentioned above, the two channel limitation is gone). That's in contrast to the previous firmware versions where all TrueHD tracks turned into 2-channel PCM. I'm not sure what DTS re-encode does if given a 2-channel source (i.e. does it create some sort of multi-channel mix, or is it simply re-encoding the channels). Obviously the better option is simply re-encode whatever channels are present: 2-channels in, 2-channels out (remainder set as silent); or multi-channel in, multi-channel out.

Anyway, that's my understanding based on testing of the new firmware.
post #63 of 146 Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Oilblue for the information.

I believe it has a DTS Decoder that converts the TrueHD to DTS. I would imagine it knows how many channels are so TrueHD 2 Channel would be DTS 2.0.
post #64 of 146 Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGT View Post

I think that's exactly the point. Your TV must support the other format. In US your TV must support 50Hz, if it does not, your not capable of watching PAL material.

The funny thing is, that all European Hardware (I am from Europe) these days support 60Hz. So, playing NTSC movies these days is no problem on newer European TV's because they support 60Hz (since about 10 years they do).

I think I read elsewhere in this thread, that US TV's don't support 50Hz. Because that, the region hack is not so usable for US people when it comes to PAL mastered movies.

Greetings
AlfaGT

Mine is a Panasonic Professional broadcast display, supports every signal on Earth so this is why I'm very curious whether this hack would work on EU or AUS players because - for different reasons though - but they DO play NTSC/PAL, regardless of region coding etc. If this hack would work on these non-US BH200s then I'd rather import one as I refuse to buy any next-gen disc with region restriction (e.g. FOX etc) anyway (and I strongly encourage everybody else to do the same so finally we might can put these parasitic monopolies on notice.)

Let's hope someone chimes in from AVForums or any other EU place with his BH200, ready to turn it into a region-free unit...
post #65 of 146 Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
T2k

Quote:

I just don't think there is much of a market for it North America.

That's impressive.

That's interesting. That's surprisingly honest of LG to tell you that.

I would guess Julio Cohen found this Service Menu to enable SD DVD MR. If someone could find the one to make it PAL & NTSC plus BD MR that would be amazing.

Absolutely, I'd immediately buy this unit and an extra one for spare then, that's for sure.

Fingers crossed here that LG knows this and very soon somehow this info 'leaks' out...
post #66 of 146 Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Mine is a Panasonic Professional broadcast display, supports every signal on Earth so this is why I'm very curious whether this hack would work on EU or AUS players because.

I'd be very surprised if this MR Hack didn't work on all BH200's.

Quote:

I refuse to buy any next-gen disc with region restriction (e.g. FOX etc) anyway (and I strongly encourage everybody else to do the same so finally we might can put these parasitic monopolies on notice.)

While I hate region coding too, ultimately it's only ourselves we're hurting by not buying region locked BDs.

Fox aren't going to listen to the minority who have a problem with it.
post #67 of 146 Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 AM

Is the euro BH-200 even out at this point?
post #68 of 146 Old 03-27-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It's out in Switzerland but hard to get hold of, AlfaGT has one. Considering your proximity to Switzerland it maybe worth PMIng him.

I thought it was already out in Germany. I've read it's coming soon to Italy and the UK. It was either €500 or €599 when in Italy.
post #69 of 146 Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grucl View Post

Is the euro BH-200 even out at this point?

I am a little surprised when the LG is really only out in Switzerland. I thougt I saw in a german forum (hifi-forum.de) once, that the LG is also available in Germany.

Am I really the only one with a European-Player

I can only advise to directly mail LG Germany. They should know where to buy one.

Greetings
AlfaGT
post #70 of 146 Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGT View Post

I am a little surprised when the LG is really only out in Switzerland. I thougt I saw in a german forum (hifi-forum.de) once, that the LG is also available in Germany.

Am I really the only one with a European-Player

I can only advise to directly mail LG Germany. They should know where to buy one.

Greetings
AlfaGT

When you have a minute would you, please, give this region-trick a try? I'm anxiously trying to find out if it works on EU players... TIA!
post #71 of 146 Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:

When you have a minute would you, please, give this region-trick a try? I'm anxiously trying to find out if it works on EU players... TIA!

Really interesting question.
Unfortunately I'm not so brave (till now) to try it on my Euro-Player

Thought I will wait till a brave one takes all bravery to try it on his player

Let me sleep over night....perhaps tomorrow

Besides, I have not one US-DVD to try it On the other side, I'm awaiting a parcel from Amozon.com including a Battlestar Galactica Special Edition (the classic one) - Code 1/NTSC. Gives me a few days to think about it

But you're the first I will give a feedback

Cheers
AlfaGT (the not so brave one)
post #72 of 146 Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

You have no NTSC and/or Non-Region 0/2 DVDs to try?

A firmware upgrade significantly alters the way the Player works. It's the heart of the players software. All Julian has done has worked out how to find the SD DVD MR Service Menu, that's all.

It will either work for you or nothing will happen when you put the disc in (i.e - it will spit it back out). I'd be very surprised if it didn't work.
post #73 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:

You have no NTSC and/or Non-Region 0/2 DVDs to try?

No, unfortunately not. Only Code 2 Releases.
But whats the point when I try it with Code 2/PAL Releases. I don't get the point. It would be interesting to see if Code1/NTSC works. Or am I wrong ?

Ok, I promise: When my Code 1 Galactica DVD arrives, I will give it a try. But that will happen in a few days. Shipping from the states needs time

Cheers
AlfaGT
post #74 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But whats the point when I try it with Code 2/PAL Releases.

If that's all you have, there is no point. Unless you plan to import of course.

* In the case of a North American Player you'll be able to play all NTSC DVDs and not just R1 or R0 ones.
* In the case of a European Player you'll be able to play all DVDs, regardless of where they come from.

I personally must own roughly 2/3 PAL DVDs (mostly UK R2 but some Mainland R2 and Aussie R4) and 1/3 NTSC DVDs (mostly USA R1 but many R3 too). I once even owned a Mainland Chinese R6. I've never owned a Russian R5 yet .

No worries we can wait. Airmail from America only takes about 7 days and Surface Mail 10-14 days.
post #75 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Alfa and others,

What voltage is your BH200 labelled as on the back? Are the USA models really 120V only?
post #76 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I bet they are but only have a tiny transistor which needs changing. It's not something I'd have the guts of knowledge to do but I understand it's an easy thing to do.

Many have done it in the UK on Panasonic USA BD Players for example.
post #77 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Alfa and others,

What voltage is your BH200 labelled as on the back? Are the USA models really 120V only?

Will look this evening when I am back home.
But running an US-player with only 120V in EU causes no problem. You can use a step-down converter 220V => 120V.

I am using one for my different US/Japan game-consoles (i.e. JAP-Dreamcast).

Cheers
AlfaGT
post #78 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

It's unfortunate that the BH-200, much like the Toshiba HD-DVD players, does no PAL-NTSC conversion. Usually when you see "region hack" you hope that's included as part of the deal.

Prior Toshiba players here have, but not the HD-DVD ones -- they'll play PAL but you need a high-end display or the capability of playing PAL on your monitor to take advantage of it.
post #79 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Alfa and others,

Euro-Player is labelled on the back with 200 to 240 Volt. I think US player really needs only 120V.

Cheers
post #80 of 146 Old 03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

I try the hack, burning it on a CD and on a DVD. Both time the player see the media as Data disk. It show me a menu for movie-picture-music-setup. What wrong? Is it because it is burn with a mac computer via Toast Titanium? Do I need to do something else? Update my tray firmware? I have the new march firmware that correct all the LB200 problem.

Thanks for your help!
post #81 of 146 Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

@ bgosselin:

CD & DVD burning isn't different depending on the Operating System (it being Windows, Linux or Mac OS) and nor does it matter what software you use, all Burning software prescribes to the same protocols. That won't be it.

Personally I'd stick to CD-RWs. There shouldn't be any need to use a DVD. How did you burn it? I presume:

1. New or Blank CD-RW or New CD-R
2. Single Session disc, not Multi-session
3. ISO Mode 1 or Mode 2 /XA - Mode 2 is newer. I forget how they otherwise differ.
4. ISO 9660 or ISO 9660 + Joliet
5. Max of 11 Characters (8.3 Filename) - Level 1
6. ISO 9660 Standard CD Character set
7. Track at Once instead of Disc at Once
8. Finalize Disc

I would imagine numbers 1, 2, 5, 6, and 8 are the important ones but I'd check all of them.

Also make sure:

1. The file size of the file kpjc19_1.dvd is 5,242,884 bytes
2. The root folder on the disc is RMTM0000, so it reads:

RMTM0000\\Scarlet\\kpjc19_1.dvd

And:

RMTM0000 - First folder on the Disc
Scarlet - Would be the subfolder inside "RMTM0000"
kpjc19_1.dvd - Would be the one and only file inside "Scarlet"

Make sure nothing else is on the disc except for those folders and that 1 file and kpjc19_1.dvd is not in the root of the CD-R/CD-RW.
post #82 of 146 Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

Usually when you see "region hack" you hope that's included as part of the deal.

Sadly it never is. They're two entirely separate sections in the Player. If a PAL Hack does come for North American models it will be a separate hack.

Sadly it's a uniquely North American thing to do (i.e - Not provide PAL support on the majority of DVD and HD Players).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

Prior Toshiba players here have

I didn't know Toshiba North American DVD Players could, thanks.
post #83 of 146 Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Just to clarify -- BrotherEstapol wants to know whether the multi-region hack will allow the US BH200 to play PAL DVDs; your first "Correct" implies that it will, but your second sentence implies that it won't.

BrotherEstapol, unless I've missed something the reports suggest that your BH200 won't play your PAL DVDs even with the current hack. Future hacks may allow it though, like the hacks to all the US Toshiba HD-DVD players.

Just trying to help out a fellow Aussie. (My BH200 should be arriving today, fingers crossed.)

Oh ok, cause what I thought from reading here, was basically that a hacked player could spit out PAL, but it spits it out raw...i.e. it doesn't convert it to NTSC, and since hardly any US TVs can display raw PAL, they could not view PAL DVDs.(thus people saying it can't play PAL)

Or are you saying that the hacked player tries to output PAL, but then end product is a jumbled NTSC signal?

Or does it just not work at all?

But yeah, it looks like voltage is another issue. Does the US one really only take 115v? I'm not keen on using a voltage converter is all.

Cheers for answering my questions so far guys!
post #84 of 146 Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

North American LG BH200's don't support PAL period and thus will spit the disc out saying "No Disc" regardless if you've applied this Multiregion hack or not.

European/Australasian LG BH200's support PAL and NTSC so once you've applied the MR hack you'll be able to play any DVD, except RCE encoded ones which require you to change the region of the player to the specific region first. I don't consider this an issue as RCE has only ever been used on R1 DVDs and then not very often.

There is no such thing as RAW PAL or RAW NTSC. NTSC is NTSC and PAL is PAL.

The MR hack and PAL/NTSC compatibility aren't connected in any way shape or form. They're two entirely different sections of DVD/HD Players. If a PAL hack does come it will be a secondary hack to the MR one.

Quote:

But yeah, it looks like voltage is another issue. Does the US one really only take 115v? I'm not keen on using a voltage converter is all.

Most DVD/HD Players can only operate in 110-120v or 200-220v and thus require a voltage converter. I've seen a few cases whereby all you have to do is open the case and change a tiny transistor on the Main board so it now supports 210-220v (and visa versa), but I personally wouldn't want to risk doing this.

The PS3 is the only HD Player I know that is dual voltage and Oppo DVD Players are the only DVD Players I know of that are also dual voltage.

A voltage converter is generally a perfectly safe thing to use, it's quite common to import a USA Player and use one.
post #85 of 146 Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hrm... so I should look for a Euro/Aussie player then
post #86 of 146 Old 03-31-2008, 03:18 PM

I don't think there's any such thing as an Aussie player... over at the DTV Forum there are reports that LG Australia has decided not to release the BH200 here.

Also keep in mind that a European player won't play Region A-locked Blu-Rays. And will cost a lot more than a US player.

The stepdown transformer ain't too bad, it's just like having a power brick attached to a computer or whatever.
post #87 of 146 Old 03-31-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

Hrm... so I should look for a Euro/Aussie player then

A Euro/Australasian Player will be BD Region B not Region A. Which is a big thing for me, but yes if you're happy with Region B then get a Euro/Australasian Player.

I'm only interested in importing a player (despite invalidating the warranty when you use it with a voltage converter) as there are a fair few Region A BDs but relatively none Region B BDs.

Quote:

I don't think there's any such thing as an Aussie player... over at the DTV Forum there are reports that LG Australia has decided not to release the BH200 here.

I'm sure I read reports of an AVS member with an Aussie Player.
post #88 of 146 Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I'm sure I read reports of an AVS member with an Aussie Player.

Must have been a BH100. Or, if you read reports of an Aussie AVS member with a BH200, that was probably me. But it's a US one.
post #89 of 146 Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

It probably was you
post #90 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Finally my (first) US SD-DVD arrived

So, the first thing I made when I was back home........ try to switch my LG Region-free.

And you know what? The region-hack also works great on a european-player. Had no problems to install it and the LG now plays not only my PAL-RC2 but also my NTSC-RC1 DVD's without any problems

And now, I go and watch a Movie (imported from the USA)

Cheers AlfaGT
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page