The BH 200 DD+ bitstreaming issue... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just trying to do some troubleshooting here. Along with myself, there are others who are experiencing the "helicopter" or "lawnmower" sound when bitstreaming DD+ and for some DTS-HD on your HD DVD's.

I'm wondering what receivers are having this problem?

Mine is the Onkyo 705.

What's receiver are you using if you have the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pioneer Elite 92
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Pioneer 9120TXH
Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ok, I was thinking it was only Onkyo's. This is definitely an LG issue.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

Maybe not solely the LG's fault as I have a Denon and have had none of the issues mentioned with bitstreaming any HD codecs (the DTS bomb is an example of a problem that would exhibit itself with certain hardware combinations). However it could just be that some AVR's are more tolerant of the LG than others.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

Maybe not solely the LG's fault as I have a Denon and have had none of the issues mentioned with bitstreaming any HD codecs (the DTS bomb is an example of a problem that would exhibit itself with certain hardware combinations).

Agreed. I have an Onkyo 705 receiver and have watched over 30 HD DVD's with DD+ and have never once had the issue. So, I'm not saying that it's not an issue with the BH200 (I suspect it might be), I just don't think we can say with 100% certainity that it is.

Anyone out there had the issue with a receiver other than Pioneer and Onkyo?

-C.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Onkyo 605. But only with a couple of HD DVDs.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 PM

My Denon 4308 is working perfectly fine with the BH-200 bitstream feed
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Add Marantz SR7002 to the list.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soapbox Kid View Post

Add Marantz SR7002 to the list.

Add it to the HAS the issue list or add it to the DOES NOT have the issue list?

-C.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 PM

Same problem when you bistream DD+ on the TX-SR805 as well.

Xbox LIVE Tag: D O N K E R

Playstation Network Tag: DONKER

Wii number 1548 - 0387 - 3348 - 3546

Proud Aperion owner!!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

Add it to the HAS the issue list or add it to the DOES NOT have the issue list?

-C.

Sorry ... absolutely has the issue!
Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

My Denon 4308 is working perfectly fine with the BH-200 bitstream feed

100% agree
Denon 4308 and BH200 are the perfect combination.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1225 View Post

Pioneer 9120TXH

Picked this up for my parents and was setting it up at home (may parent only have dial-up) and tested 3 HD DVDs and all 3 gave me buzzing with pass through two were TrueHD ONE was DD+. Alpha Dog gives buzzing with all warning screens and company logo videos but the TrueHD works. Shooter (the DD+) Gives the Paramount logo with the chirping, then goes to inoperable menus. Twister Chirps all the way to functional menus but there is just chirping for in place of the TrueHD track.

PCM multichannel clears up these issues completely.

However, if you play around with the player sampling rates you should notice that certain aspects work again (as in set it to 192 kbps). So what I surmise from this is that bitstreaming sampling rates are just no fast enough to allow for a proper signal to be passed. I don't know which has the issue the receiver of the player but since other receivers are having this issue (clearly far less pronounced than me since I tried TrueHD discs and had issues and not just DD+) I would suspect it is the player. Since many of the companies mentioned aren't known for their shoddy manufacturing.

just my two utterly useless cents (since I can't give anyone a cure)
Old 05-30-2008, 03:36 AM

I dont know what you are referring to but I just got my lg bh200 last night and I have it hooked up to my old Samsung HTiB with optical audio out and every time it goes from one logo change, frame shift or sometimes chapter skips I hear this sharp quick buzz before the sound comes in again. I thought it might be that my old HTiB couldnt handle the sound or something. However, its DD+ 5.1 and DTS, DTS-ES etc... compatible.

I cant describe the sound that comes...
Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM

So for fun I contacted LG and they said take it to the closest LG service centre.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbladder View Post

So for fun I contacted LG and they said take it to the closest LG service centre.

That seems to be the answer for any problem when you call LG.

Life is Good
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM

I have an Onkyo 905 latest firmware and the BH-200 latest driver and firmware. No issues with HD DVD Top Gun in Pass Thru Bitstream or with PCM Multichannel... tried all three tracks (the True HD, DD+, DTS) all worked fine either way. obviously using HDMI cables only.

by the way my sampling rate is set to 192kbps since the 905 can handle that rate. although the tracks on the HD DVD I have seen all seem to be 48kbps

Clueless In Pittsburgh, PA :)
JVC 56" D-ILA 1080p HDTV & Toshiba HD-XA1
Model - HD-56FH96 All Black
Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 AM

I have an Onkyo 875 with updated DSP's version 1.05 firmware and BH200 with latest firmware and driver. I have had no problems with any DD+ HDDVD that I have tried, and I have tried many. I have my sampling rate set to 192kbps. And of course using only HDMI Cable.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just a bit of side information, I use a really old external DD/DTS decoder (Technics SH-AC500D) with an old Onkyo receiver TX SV-828, and connect audio using Optical cable from a Toshiba HD-XA2.

I experience this motorboat sound on certain titles in certain places, seems to be when using TrueHD track (downconverted to dts then output over optical). I think I have it set to bitstream in the XA2 setup. It tends to happen during low volume segments, people talking. One example is Superman Returns, when Lex is on his ship in the ocean near start of movie, and he is talking to the dumb woman about being in prison (Listen for him to talk about something being "in your pocket"). It's easy to find just chapter search till you see the ship out on the ocean, and watch for 2 minutes. My old dolby decoder obviously can't do truehd, and bitstream was always the proper choice to get 5.1 over optical from a TrueHD track. I've always attributed the issue to my decoder not being able to handle the higher bitrates. Is this a correct assumption? If so it would point to the receiver possibly. Or it could be the downconversion process from TrueHD to optical just isn't perfect. Would be nice if someone from Toshiba/Onkyo could explain whats really happening when we hear that issue.

When you guys have this issue, are any of you using hdmi for audio? Or does BH200 have to downconvert everything and output via optical?

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from damninteresting.com

Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Picked this up for my parents and was setting it up at home (may parent only have dial-up) and tested 3 HD DVDs and all 3 gave me buzzing with pass through two were TrueHD ONE was DD+. Alpha Dog gives buzzing with all warning screens and company logo videos but the TrueHD works. Shooter (the DD+) Gives the Paramount logo with the chirping, then goes to inoperable menus. Twister Chirps all the way to functional menus but there is just chirping for in place of the TrueHD track.

PCM multichannel clears up these issues completely.

However, if you play around with the player sampling rates you should notice that certain aspects work again (as in set it to 192 kbps). So what I surmise from this is that bitstreaming sampling rates are just no fast enough to allow for a proper signal to be passed. I don't know which has the issue the receiver of the player but since other receivers are having this issue (clearly far less pronounced than me since I tried TrueHD discs and had issues and not just DD+) I would suspect it is the player. Since many of the companies mentioned aren't known for their shoddy manufacturing.

just my two utterly useless cents (since I can't give anyone a cure)

SO are you saying that you HAVE the sound issue when you set the sampling rate lower then 192 kbps? and you do NOT have the issue with 192 kpbs?

so the solution is just adjust your sampling rate to 192 kpbs? even if you receiver doesnt support the higher rate I have yet to see a 192 kbps DD+ track on a HD DVD or BR DVD

Clueless In Pittsburgh, PA :)
JVC 56" D-ILA 1080p HDTV & Toshiba HD-XA1
Model - HD-56FH96 All Black
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesspa View Post

SO are you saying that you HAVE the sound issue when you set the sampling rate lower then 192 kbps? and you do NOT have the issue with 192 kpbs?

so the solution is just adjust your sampling rate to 192 kpbs? even if you receiver doesnt support the higher rate I have yet to see a 192 kbps DD+ track on a HD DVD or BR DVD

No it does not clear up issues completely on any of the discs I tried. There are always sound issues and even some video issues ... like with Shooter. All discs had issues with studio intros and shooter had no sound at all. The only way they played at all ... which is not a big deal with me ... is PCM Multi-channel. It would be nice if I could both bitstreaming as it puts my receiver to better use ... in theory.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No it does not clear up issues completely on any of the discs I tried. There are always sound issues and even some video issues ... like with Shooter. All discs had issues with studio intros and shooter had no sound at all. The only way they played at all ... which is not a big deal with me ... is PCM Multi-channel. It would be nice if I could both bitstreaming as it puts my receiver to better use ... in theory.

What receiver do you have?

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

I experience this motorboat sound on certain titles in certain places, seems to be when using TrueHD track (downconverted to dts then output over optical).

I'm confused...

Is this a needed step to get the DTS HD track out of the optical port? Because the DTS-HD track, like all DTS tracks, is built off the core DTS track, with enhancement layers above and beyond that. If the player would just pass the core out the optical (which I belive it should) there would be no need for you to need to have the player do the "downconvert to DTS". Or does downcovert to DTS just mean "send the core track"?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

What receiver do you have?

Pioneer 9120TXH
Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 AM

Pioneer 9120TXH, ive put in a couple hddvds and im getting the motorboating sounds as well....hd audio though works fine, and my bluray movies work proplerly too
Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Denon 988/2808 here....

No issues with DD+ so far, have watched 5 films over HDMI/Bitstream.
I have used both april and June FW, and 701 and 702 drivers..

I have listened for that "helicopter noise" in EVERY format, and have not heard it once.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue, just that I haven't heard it.......

And don't want to!!

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

As far as I can tell (based on who has and doesn't have the problem and which receiver they are using), it does not seem occur with Denon receivers for some reason...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Just trying to do some troubleshooting here. Along with myself, there are others who are experiencing the "helicopter" or "lawnmower" sound when bitstreaming DD+ and for some DTS-HD on your HD DVD's.

Mine is the Onkyo 705.

Add me to the list...got the BH200 yesterday. Did the latest firmware update and the driver update courtesy of "bradavon" thank you.

My set up is A/V Pio VSX92TXH and TV Sammy PN58A650. The BH200 is connected to the Pio through HDMI in, and Pio is HDMI out to the Sammy.

I don't have any Blu Ray movies but have a dozen HD DVD's so I set the BH200 to primary pass through and SURPRISE SURPRISE I get the "helicopter" "lawnmower" sounds. I tried three different HD DVD's
bourne identity DD+, 300- Dolby TrueHD and Batman Begins- Dolby TrueHD.

If I set it to PMC Multi-Ch no problems at all....good sound. I have a 5.1 setup

I am at a loss......I really want to see those codes light up on my reciever !!!
Does anyone have any suggestions or is it a lost cause !!!
Please advise.............
Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Mine is the Onkyo 705.

Add me to the list...got the BH200 yesterday. Did the latest firmware update and the driver update courtesy of "bradavon" thank you.

My set up is A/V Pio VSX92TXH and TV Sammy PN58A650. The BH200 is connected to the Pio through HDMI in, and Pio is HDMI out to the Sammy.

I don't have any Blu Ray movies but have a dozen HD DVD's so I set the BH200 to primary pass through and SURPRISE SURPRISE I get the "helicopter" "lawnmower" sounds. I tried three different HD DVD's
bourne identity DD+, 300- Dolby TrueHD and Batman Begins- Dolby TrueHD.

If I set it to PMC Multi-Ch no problems at all....good sound. I have a 5.1 setup

I am at a loss......I really want to see those codes light up on my reciever !!!
Does anyone have any suggestions or is it a lost cause !!!
Please advise.............