Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Well Folks the day is here

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...p_nm=BD-UP5000

Direct download:
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...AA_RUF_ISO.zip

Quote:

build date : 2008-05-30 Firmware(US & Canada)

date: May 30. 2008

This Firmware update provides the following benefits:

1. Upgrades current BD-UP5000 to profile 1.1
2. Upgrades BD-UP5000 with HD audio bit-stream output function.
3. Updates User interface based on BD profile 1.1
4. Improves playback compatibility in some movies

Hopefully it works out for everyone Created this thread to report bugs\\fixes for this particular release. BTW thanks to stuartcs for reporting the find 1st.....

EDIT:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To open\\close the PiP 1.1 features (it will show "Bonus View" when available on your TV) press the button Labeled "cursor" on the bottom right hand side of the remote...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audio:
Bitstreaming:
TrueHD\\DTS-MA\\DD+ confirmed

TrueHD now plays multichannel via all outputs
*For Optical\\Coax users you must set to Bitstream Audiophile or re-encode to get multichannel on some discs

DTS-MA, seems to still only play core DTS track via non HDMI 1.3 connections...

Disc Fixes:
Sunshine
Old Universal titles (tested Mummy) Scene selection now shows pictures....

Memory
**New there are seperate sections for Blu-ray and HD DVD now**
HD DVD memory shows 448 available (up from 128 previously)
Blu-ray is empty, but does not show available space....

Verified Glitches\\Bugs:
There is still "flicker" on disc playback at 24fps (possibly Paramount titles only) This bug was fixed prior to this firmware and has now returned.
Display bug-DTS-MA 5.1 tracks getting dispayed as DTS-MA 7.1....

---------------------------------------------

**The update is now available for direct download via the players ethernet connection****
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To burn this to a CD do the following:
Download the Zip file for the update from the link above.
Once downloaded extract the ISO file to your desktop or desired folder
Open you favorite burning software
Select "Burn an Image" (or something similar, different programs use different language)
Once you get prompted for the file, select the Firmware ISO image that you extracted earlier
Burn the CD (in some cases you may want to lower the burn speed to ensure less errors)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instructions for Mac Users (from user kwindrem):
Download the zip. It should expand automatically and mount to your desktop. Eject the disc image (you don't need it but it doesn't do any harm to leave it mounted either).

Locate the .iso file.

Right click and select Open With ... Disk Utility.

Insert a CD and click on Burn.

You can also use Toast but need to make sure that you select Copy, then Image File on the left side of the window. Then you must select the .iso file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What setting is best for Me?
We are seeing a lot of questions from memebrs on what audio settings they should use. While some of these settings may not be conclusive, they should point you in the correct direction.

HDMI 1.3 Receiver: Bitstream Audiophile

HDMI 1.1\\1.2 Receiver: PCM

Analog 5.1\\7.1: PCM

SPDIF\\Coax\\Optical: Bitstream Audiophille\\Bitstream Re-encode

If you take a look at this Chart created by Barney_DaPurple1 for the BDP-1400 we are able to at least take a look at what shuold be coming from our outputs )there are differences however):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5800
Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so how does this new firmware make it stack up against the LG BH200 now??
post #3 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 04:04 AM

TrueHD now is 5.1 from the analog outputs.
post #4 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 AM

Im just wondering because i purchased the lg BH200 for about 40 less than what this was going for. It was 399.99 up here in canada at futureshop but the guy said it was severely hindered when it came to audio. Thats why im wondering, because i can always return the LG if this is better now. I mean the LG's Qdeo is amazing, but the reon HQV in this must be better.
post #5 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post

5.1 or 7.1?
post #6 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

5.1 or 7.1?

Well, there's no disc with 7.1 Dolby TrueHD as of today to test it.
post #7 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Sweeeeetttt. Ill be able to confirm this once I get it installed, .....
post #8 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madness View Post

Im just wondering because i purchased the lg BH200 for about 40 less than what this was going for. It was 399.99 up here in canada at futureshop but the guy said it was severely hindered when it came to audio. Thats why im wondering, because i can always return the LG if this is better now. I mean the LG's Qdeo is amazing, but the reon HQV in this must be better.

We wont really know until someone that is connected via HDMI tels us if the bitstreaming is fixed.....I only have 5.1 Analogs so thats all I can confirm...This player may not be on par if not a hair better for US users who are not concerned with Multi-region....
post #9 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 AM

after someone checks, someone should make a list about how both stack up to each other now. As for myself, im more worried about picture and sound quality than region locks.
post #10 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well, there's no disc with 7.1 Dolby TrueHD as of today to test it.

The Dolby demo discs (blue and red) have 7.1 AFAIK.
post #11 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
DTS-MA is bitstreamed...lights I've never seen before on my Onkyo came alive.
post #12 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 AM

i do the dance of joy!

Technology is a hell of a drug...
post #13 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:38 AM

Sunshine = fixed. Navigation no longer causes any hangups...since I'm bitstreaming, I can't hear the 1.1 feature but I got the PIP video working without a hitch.
post #14 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sunshine = fixed. Navigation no longer causes any hangups...since I'm bitstreaming, I can't hear the 1.1 feature but I got the PIP video working without a hitch.

HAHAHAHA I was jsut about to post this.......

BTW for people that arent aware to hop in and out of the PiP feature you can press the button labeled "cursor" on the bottom right of the remote...

I can also confirm that via analogs I am getting 5.1 with TrueHD tracks tested Elizabeth TGA
post #15 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 AM

There was hardly a better first disc to check.

And I wasn't aware about that "cursor" trick, I was taking the arduous, tenuous route through the "Info" button screen.
post #16 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There was hardly a better first disc to check.

And I wasn't aware about that "cursor" trick, I was taking the arduous, tenuous route through the "Info" button screen.

Vinnie if you can, I would like to see if the player is doecoding TrueHD internally as well......I know we can test it via HDMI (it should sent it to the 605 as PCM), but am unsure of the settings...

I am happy though that I can get multichannel finally for TrueHD movies
post #17 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have a chance to test the coax or optical outputs with a TrueHD track yet? I'm particularly curious to hear what will happen with a 7.1 channel track, so I'm interested to know what the "red" and "blue" demo discs referred to above are -- I haven't seen these.

Also, I'm REALLY curious to know if the SD DVD audio dropout issues were fixed. This is a hard one to test for (since it's not consistant), but it's one of the most important issues in my opinion since it effects so many DVDs for some of us.

I won't be able to test this myself for a while, so I'm curious to hear other people's feedback.

Thanks,

Larry
post #18 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

Anyone have a chance to test the coax or optical outputs with a TrueHD track yet? I'm particularly curious to hear what will happen with a 7.1 channel track, so I'm interested to know what the "red" and "blue" demo discs referred to above are -- I haven't seen these.

Also, I'm REALLY curious to know if the SD DVD audio dropout issues were fixed. This is a hard one to test for (since it's not consistant), but it's one of the most important issues in my opinion since it effects so many DVDs for some of us.

I won't be able to test this myself for a while, so I'm curious to hear other people's feedback.

Thanks,

Larry

The report in the main thread was that it did properly re-encode to DTS 5.1 via spdif\\optical...not sure about how it handels in bitstream mode....

as fa as SD DVD goes, I think that Jurrasic PArk 3 was one that multiple people verified, with specific dropouts that could be duplicated...Id have to dig, but I may be able to test it...
post #19 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Vinnie if you can, I would like to see if the player is doecoding TrueHD internally as well......I know we can test it via HDMI (it should sent it to the 605 as PCM), but am unsure of the settings...

I am happy though that I can get multichannel finally for TrueHD movies

Do you mean if it's decoding DTS-MA internally, Ph8te? I think you guys have already confirmed TrueHD 5.1 at least. Basically, I think when set to PCM and if I'm getting input through all channels, I will still only be able to speculate wrt DTS-MA internal decoding.

Larry, I agree with that...I'm gonna' try some known problem HD DVDs later.
post #20 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Vinnie if you can, I would like to see if the player is doecoding TrueHD internally as well...

It was reported above that TrueHD tracks are sending out 5.1 over the analog outputs, which means that the player is definitely decoding the TrueHD track internally. Is this what you're asking about? I may just be misunderstanding your question.

Larry
post #21 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you mean if it's decoding DTS-MA internally, Ph8te? I think you guys have already confirmed TrueHD 5.1 at least. Basically, I think when set to PCM and if I'm getting input through all channels, I will still only be able to speculate.

Larry, I agree with that...I'm gonna' try some known problem HD DVDs later.

Quote:

It was reported above that TrueHD tracks are sending out 5.1 over the analog outputs, which means that the player is definitely decoding the TrueHD track internally. Is this what you're asking about? I may just be misunderstanding your question.

Larry

Hmmmmmmm not sure I guess, I guess I am wondering if what we are hearing is the PCM track or the DD 5.1 "hidden" track...

VInnie, might wanna try the Orphanage(sp) as I know that was reported as not playable at all.....

I have a few discs to test, but not many of the "problem discs"
post #22 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 244
TrueHD 5.1 now outputs to analog as 5.1 as well as re-encode to DTS 5.1 via optical if you chose re-encode.

Beowulf HD DVD: the initial long delay is now gone.

weired on screen box when chose audio via audio button on Matrix trilogy HD DVD: Fixed

HD DVD initial internet download: seems much faster than before.
HD DVD in-movie menu still sluggish.

BD side, National Treasure 2 menu now loads differently IIRC. It takes a minute to load/initialize. My guess is that is the BD-Java delay.

Other BD discs I have all play.

Internal clock when synced to NTS server still does not support Daylight Savings Time.
post #23 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The report in the main thread was that it did properly re-encode to DTS 5.1 via spdif\\optical...not sure about how it handels in bitstream mode....

Does it require the "re-encode" setting to do this, or does it also re-encode to DTS even in the "Audiophile" mode? I guess the important question is: what happens with TrueHD tracks over the spdif outputs when the player is set to "audiophile" mode?

Quote:

as far as SD DVD goes, I think that Jurassic Park 3 was one that multiple people verified, with specific dropouts that could be duplicated...Id have to dig, but I may be able to test it...

I'm pretty sure that I was the one who first posted the JP3 dropout spots. My post is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...c#post12913841

Here is the pertinent info from that post pinpointing the spot where I heard repeatable dropouts:

Quote:

Ch. 2 - 12:08 into film
Ch. 4 - 18:21 into film

NOTE that the DD track does NOT exhibit these dropouts (at least not repeatable dropouts at these spots.) I switched to the DD track and the dropouts did NOT occur at these spots, and when I switched back to DTS, the dropouts once again occurred.

This of course only tests for DTS dropouts. DD dropouts, in my experience, have never been repeatable -- they just happen randomly and usually do not repeat at the same place.

Note also that at least one other poster reported that only one of these spots had the dropout problem on their system even though I could repeat the issue at BOTH spots.

Thanks,

Larry
post #24 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Hmmmmmmm not sure I guess, I guess I am wondering if what we are hearing is the PCM track or the DD 5.1 "hidden" track...

VInnie, might wanna try the Orphanage(sp) as I know that was reported as not playable at all.....

I have a few discs to test, but not many of the "problem discs"

I don't have the Orphanage (only rented that one ). That one played flawlessly on both of my units if I pushed chapter next during the logo.

I need some sleep right now (seems we all do, we're confused, lol) as I'm still up from late night work.
post #25 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Unfortunately, my non-HDMI receiver is only capable of 5.1 analog input. DTS-MA discs I have played both from 5.1 analog and optical out. There is no way for me to test if it internally decodes anything other than DTS core (as it did before this firmware update).
post #26 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as fa as SD DVD goes, I think that Jurrasic PArk 3 was one that multiple people verified, with specific dropouts that could be duplicated...Id have to dig, but I may be able to test it...

Larry as reported by you:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12913594

Quote:

"Jurassic Park III" SD DVD:

With the DTS track, I have completely repeatable audio dropouts at the following points:

Ch. 2 - 12:08 into film
Ch. 4 - 18:21 into film

I did not hear any dropouts at these points and I had my ears to the speakers....

I also tested "The Mummy" HD DVD, looks like the menu issues are fixed.....
post #27 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

EXCELLENT point Ph8te -- I hadn't considered that. The player may indeed be accessing the hidden track for the spdif outputs. This would also bring up the question of whether or not the re-encode setting was accessing the same track as the audiophile setting when playing a TrueHD disc. I could theoretically be that the "audiophile" setting accesses the hidden track, while the "re-encode" setting decodes the TrueHD track, then encodes to DTS 1.5Mb on the fly, which would theoretically be a higher quality track.

Is there some way to verify which track is being played via the 5k's info screens? This might tell us what's going on under the hood.

Thanks,

Larry
post #28 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did not hear any dropouts at these points and I had my ears to the speakers....

Thanks for the report.

Could you confirm whether or not you heard dropouts at these spots BEFORE the new firmware update? I can't remember if you were one of the people who heard these dropouts before or not.

Thanks again,

Larry
post #29 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the report.

Could you confirm whether or not you heard dropouts at these spots BEFORE the new firmware update? I can't remember if you were one of the people who heard these dropouts before or not.

Thanks again,

Larry

I could have sworn I herd something, not sure if I would describe it as a dropout, but it sounded like someone scratched a record really loud for a split second.....

I have not heard them on other discs though so I really cant confirm DD 5.1 on other SD DVDs.....

ANother update....Jumpy menus on 30 Days of night have cleared up.....
post #30 of 885 Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 AM

Does this firmware still stretch 4:3 to 16:9?
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page