Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

for your info its a true claim unless customers are lying about it. which i doubt they would post a review on the net if it wasnt true

Listen, there is not a proportionate number of reviews of both players...the 5000 is simply more popular (as evidenced by this forum) for better or for worse, so there will naturally be more complaints and more reports in the wild on the 5000.

Here's a quick comparison in # of reviews:

Circuit City: 37 vs. 18
Crutchfield: 18 vs 4
Amazon: 40 vs 20

Maybe this implies there *were* more problems (most reviews were written well before firmware revision 1.3) or maybe the 5000 simply saw a healthier sales rate due to brand recognition and/or initial positive press releases. It's hard to say but one also can't say with any conclusive proof that the 5000 is more incompatible with HD DVD with a straight face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 06-13-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The problem I have with those reviews on Store Web sites is that if you read between the lines there is often either an agenda OR completely wrong statements by the reviewer. It is tough to weed out legitimate reviews.

I lost count, for example, the number of 1-star reviews on Amazon for HD-DVD movies saying how horrible they were only to finally note that the customer didn't have an HD-DVD player but somehow thought he could magickally play it anyway. Weeding out those leave a bit less negative reviews.

Then there are the folks who seem completely clueless... like the ones who expect it to magickally work out of the box without having to plug cables in... or one guy who gave a scathing review of how horrible a product was but then gave it 3/5 stars AND checked the "I would recommend to a friend" box!

At least in a forum like this there are some reasonable people (both positive and negative) who can give honest opinions based upon their actual experiences.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #33 of 42 Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The problem I have with those reviews on Store Web sites is that if you read between the lines there is often either an agenda OR completely wrong statements by the reviewer. It is tough to weed out legitimate reviews.

I lost count, for example, the number of 1-star reviews on Amazon for HD-DVD movies saying how horrible they were only to finally note that the customer didn't have an HD-DVD player but somehow thought he could magickally play it anyway. Weeding out those leave a bit less negative reviews.

Then there are the folks who seem completely clueless... like the ones who expect it to magickally work out of the box without having to plug cables in... or one guy who gave a scathing review of how horrible a product was but then gave it 3/5 stars AND checked the "I would recommend to a friend" box!

At least in a forum like this there are some reasonable people (both positive and negative) who can give honest opinions based upon their actual experiences.

i like to read customer reviews cause helps out alot on choosing the right item. i see on forum sites its mostly fanboys i noticed when it comes to info about stuff NO OFFENSE. but what i like better about the forum sites info is that you can get info here that you wont find on the store review site like how to hack your system and stuff for example

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #34 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to buy either of these players on clearance. I have an Onkyo 805 receiver that will decode the new codecs via bitstream and a Panasonic 1080p 58 inch 750u plasma (i don't think it will accept 24fps)

My questions are:

Which player has better SD up conversion?
Which player is more likely to be BD Live compatible?

Thanks.

HD-DVD: 115 Blu: 6
Latest HD-DVD: All of them at Frys for under $10.

Latest BD: No incentive to pick up discs now that the format war is over. Netflix via xbox and mail is more that sufficient.
post #35 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM

This has gotten alot of debate. The consensus seems to be that the Samsung is slightly better on upconversion (I can vouch for the fact that it is nice, since I own one) but it may also be the case that it is just different in the way it does upconversion, and so it comes down to subjective preference.

As for Profile 2.0, no one knows for sure if the Samsung is capable of it technologically, but it is darn close. Samsung isn't highly communicative about firmware releases either though, unfortunately. There have been some communications from LG that seem to indicate that the BH200 will be upgraded to 2.0, but nothing definitive--mostly short emails from customer support. (Check out the BH200 firmware watch thread.) Technologically, it has everything it needs, though.
post #36 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks. Does the LG have forced 24fps?

HD-DVD: 115 Blu: 6
Latest HD-DVD: All of them at Frys for under $10.

Latest BD: No incentive to pick up discs now that the format war is over. Netflix via xbox and mail is more that sufficient.
post #37 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB GAMER View Post

Thanks. Does the LG have forced 24fps?

With the April or latest firmware the answer is yes.
post #38 of 42 Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB GAMER View Post

I am looking to buy either of these players on clearance. I have an Onkyo 805 receiver that will decode the new codecs via bitstream and a Panasonic 1080p 58 inch 750u plasma (i don't think it will accept 24fps)

My questions are:

Which player has better SD up conversion?
Which player is more likely to be BD Live compatible?

Thanks.

Upconversion on my LG BH 200 is excellent. At least as good if not better than my previous Oppo 970. It is far better than a Panny BD30 and Sony S300 which I also tried out as Blu Ray players.

As for BD Live, I am going by what LG customer service has communicated in general that it 'appears' the player is compatible.
post #39 of 42 Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Here is my question... since it seems that which player may be better is determined in part by your setup, here's mine. I've got a 46 inch Toshiba RPTV with a Pioneer 1014 driving a 5.1 setup. Watch about two movies a week and that may go up soon now that my son is getting into big pretty pictures. I can get an open box Samsung about $80 cheaper than an open box LG. I'm not real sure that 2.0 is a big deal to me... not much of an extra guy. The analog outs would be nice, but I'm worried about the Samsung reliability and the fact that LG seems to support their product much more than Sammy. Should I pop for the LG or will the Samsung be fine fgr me? And to quell my concerns about reliability, should I get a warranty? Thanks for the help...
post #40 of 42 Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Any thoughts concerning which player is better now that both players have been updated with new firmware?
post #41 of 42 Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Please stop perpetuating this unfounded claim.

Agreed. The only disc I've encountered with my BD-UP5000 that didn't play was the NIN HD DVD.
post #42 of 42 Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

wasnt just one review i looked at circuit city best buy and afew other store reviews about the UP500 and lots of folks posted about issues with HD discs. didnt see as many LG reviews where people having issues with there HD discs as the sammy does

Initially, both the Samsung and LG had problems playing some discs. These issues were fixed with firmware updates however. I wouldn't trust reviewers on Best Buy or Circuit City's site. They are pretty much clueless. They probably have no idea how to update their firmware.
Reply Dual Format Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page