BH200 firmware watch... - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Ohh, so now I have to tow the party line to post here? Brilliant advice. Any owner has the right to be concerned based on the # of reports of HDMI sync problems and video dropouts. These aren't all that isolated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Anyone from Canada having any luck with this yet?

I called the Canadian 1-800 number today. Given the big spiel about the Canadian and US branches being different entities, Canadians were never promissed profile 2.0 and how the BD300 is the player to buy, etc. I explained the initial global press release mentioned profile 2.0 and it was unfair not to include Canadians in the $75 refund offer. The CS rep promissed to call me back later today; it seems likely it will be another broken LG promiss as I live in BC and it is currently 7:00 PM Ontario time. I assume the head office is already closed.

I encourage all Canadians BH 200 owners to call 1-800-542-2623 and ask for the $75.00 refund. Perhaps I could start a Canadian refund thread so we can effectively update each other on our progress.
post #213 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM

I'm annoyed by LG's refusal to make the BH200 BD-Live compatible as well, but like sivartk said, I have played innumerable blu-rays and HD-DVDs on my two BH200 units, and neither have exhibited video or audio dropouts running the April firmware. They also both play my home-made Blu-ray and HD DVD disks flawlessly. In short, I'm crazy about this player, and if LG wants to send me a $75 check to boot, then I applaud them.

For what it is worth, I have my one of my units hooked up to a new LG TV via an Onkyo 606 and the other is connected directly to a very old Samsung DLP 720p TV using an HDMI-DVI connector cable. The player works great in both set ups.
post #214 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

A different thread sounds like a good idea... I'm in Ottawa, so I'll give them a call tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj2000 View Post

I called the Canadian 1-800 number today. Given the big spiel about the Canadian and US branches being different entities, Canadians were never promissed profile 2.0 and how the BD300 is the player to buy, etc. I explained the initial global press release mentioned profile 2.0 and it was unfair not to include Canadians in the $75 refund offer. The CS rep promissed to call me back later today; it seems likely it will be another broken LG promiss as I live in BC and it is currently 7:00 PM Ontario time. I assume the head office is already closed.

I encourage all Canadians BH 200 owners to call 1-800-542-2623 and ask for the $75.00 refund. Perhaps I could start a Canadian refund thread so we can effectively update each other on our progress.

post #215 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastan View Post

I just watched Hulk last night, and it had audio drop out issues. How can LG get away with not even providing updates for Blu-Ray releases on a $900 player that is less than a year old?

I also got audio dropouts with Hulk last night. Newest driver and June fw. I was able to duplicate it in the same spot when Ed and Liv were driving to meet Mr. Blue. It sounded like they were stuttering underwater. It kept up until I paused and then hit play again, or hit stop and then play the disk again. Speaking of pause, with this same movie, when I hit pause and then play again in different parts of the movie, the audio would randomly drop out until I paused and played again???

I also noticed the screen flicker on the Home screen fairly regularly, so I just figured it might be a good idea to exchange while I could. This player was a Oct 2007 build that I just got 2 weeks ago at BB, so I returned it today for a Feb 2008 build which seems ok.....so far. Funny, for the first 2 weeks the '07 build exhibited no dropouts of any kind.

Btw, is your player an Oct '07 build?

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #216 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

FYI-got a reply today. No mention of firmware to correct disk errors.

-----------Reply to Customer Inquiry------------
Dear Scott, Thank you for your email regarding the LG BH200. LG has provided several software upgrades for the BH200 that enable powerful new functionality including BonusView and audio performance improvements. However, LG is not planning a firmware upgrade to activate BD Live functionality in the foreseeable future. As a consumer electronics leader, LG is committed to its customers and we are offering $75 cash back for any inconvenience this has caused. In order to receive your $75 check, please submit your name, address, daytime phone number, serial number and a copy of your sales receipt to: customerservice@lge.com ATTN: BH200 Rebate or fax to 256-774-8668 If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience. Virginia Q. E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI This communication is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain trade secrets or other information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by calling 256-772-0623. Thank you.

I may use the money towards a PS3 or perhaps a Panasonic 55.

I received the same exact email today in response to my last email sent this past Friday. It just mentions Live but makes no reference as to whether LG will continue to support this player and address some of it's issues. In my return email today, I asked if we will be getting any fw update to address said issues.

Btw, is any of this rebate info useful for our friends in Canada?

Mike T

post #217 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Liked: 11
I have the february 2008 build and my Hulk also had the drop outs on the trip to Mr. Blue. However, if I rewind and do it again it doesn't do it at the same exact spot. Is the rebate available to everyone? Even so, I would rather forego the rebate and have them just provide the updates that make this player work. The whole point of the combo player was to be safe with either format no matter what turned out. LG was happy to charge a premuim for this product, but now wants to stop supporting it less than a year after release?! It's a Blu-Ray player and as such it should play all Blu-Ray movies properly. Heck, even Toshiba put out an update for all their players and they officially dropped the format. LG is just being cheap and totally disregarding its customers. Next time buy a Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, etc DVD player, TV, phone, etc! In this day and age this type of service is unacceptable. Perhaps LG is trying to move back to their cheap Goldstar roots.
post #218 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

I inquired about the $75 rebate earlier today (without having made any prior complaints) and it was willfully offered. The rep said it would arrive in 7-10 days.
post #219 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Ohh, so now I have to tow the party line to post here? Brilliant advice. Any owner has the right to be concerned based on the # of reports of HDMI sync problems and video dropouts. These aren't all that isolated.

Are you also thinking about dumping you Samsung 5000? It seems to have it fair share of problems as well. At least for some people.

John
post #220 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM

maybe coding a custom firmware would be the answer to all our troubles no ?
i know some coders done it for HD-DVD players
post #221 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post

Are you also thinking about dumping you Samsung 5000? It seems to have it fair share of problems as well. At least for some people.

John

The silver lining on the 5000 is that NO problem is systemic. It's all down to specific disc-related issues. So no, the BH200 is first up at the chopping block if and when I decide to start pawning off these players.

EDIT: I will even admit this systemic problem is apparently not evident across the board on all BH200 players. The percentage affected sounds akin to the defective problem of FOX discs failing to load on the 5000 (which required a replacement/repair). Otherwise the "benefit" of owning either play over the other has dwindled considerably.
post #222 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 PM

Well for what it is worth I sent an email about the problem discs asking for a firmware update as well as inquiring about the BD Live (hoping for the $75 dollar check). Personally I could live if the player doesn't have BD Live. I'd rather have it than not, but if we're not getting it I'll take my check. One thing I don't know if I would accept would be if they stopped supporting the player altogether and did not fix problem discs. Hate to play the hateful web consumer, but it would definitely impact my willingness to purchase another LG consumer electronic. I'm actually considering using the $75 check to purchase a second Bluray player for the bedroom.

Latest Blu(s): Wall-E, The Dark Knight

Latest HD(s): Beerfest
post #223 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the february 2008 build and my Hulk also had the drop outs on the trip to Mr. Blue. However, if I rewind and do it again it doesn't do it at the same exact spot. Is the rebate available to everyone? Even so, I would rather forego the rebate and have them just provide the updates that make this player work. The whole point of the combo player was to be safe with either format no matter what turned out. LG was happy to charge a premuim for this product, but now wants to stop supporting it less than a year after release?! It's a Blu-Ray player and as such it should play all Blu-Ray movies properly. Heck, even Toshiba put out an update for all their players and they officially dropped the format. LG is just being cheap and totally disregarding its customers. Next time buy a Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, etc DVD player, TV, phone, etc! In this day and age this type of service is unacceptable. Perhaps LG is trying to move back to their cheap Goldstar roots.

With my '07 build, rewinding or chapter skipping didn't correct it. I had to stop and then restart the movie, go to that same spot and it was fine. I've only tried the movie with the Feb '08 build twice and had no problem. I've even tried multiple pausing and playing in different parts of the movie and so far it's holding up. Btw, the '08 player has the Apr fw as opposed to June. The 200 although an overall good player, is very quirky. I have Shooter on HD and sometimes it works in 24/p and sometimes it doesn't??? Maybe this player gets lazy sometimes and starts to fall asleep. LOL

About the rebate, it should be good for anyone in the U.S., you may as well get something from LG. Send them what they asked for and take the money.....who knows, you may be able to get a BD-Live player for around $75 at BF time........but not an LG

Mike T

post #224 of 2794 Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Hi there,

I live in Germany and it seems LG wouldn´t pay to "outs of USA" - would somebody help me if I scan the invoice and the serial number to receive the money?

Best regards
post #225 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Dear Scott, Thank you for your email regarding the LG BH200. LG has provided several software upgrades for the BH200 that enable powerful new functionality including BonusView and audio performance improvements. However, LG is not planning a firmware upgrade to activate BD Live functionality in the foreseeable future. As a consumer electronics leader, LG is committed to its customers and we are offering $75 cash back for any inconvenience this has caused. In order to receive your $75 check, please submit your name, address, daytime phone number, serial number and a copy of your sales receipt to: customerservice@lge.com ATTN: BH200 Rebate or fax to 256-774-8668 If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience. Virginia Q. E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI This communication is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain trade secrets or other information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by calling 256-772-0623. Thank you.

I sent in my info. Here's hoping I get the check soon.
post #226 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Does anyone with multiple BH200s know whether we'll get multiple checks?
post #227 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 10:30 AM

receipt? I have had mine for 8 months or so. Why won't a serial do ?
post #228 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
receipt is pretty typical of any rebate and in most cases warranty work. Not asking too much, I don't think.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #229 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

No call or e-mail for me...I'll just fax my info to that number and see what happens.
post #230 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Just call here and speak to customer service: (800) 243-0000

Mention the BD-Live rebate offer and they should fix you up (have your serial # ready).
post #231 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Mention the BD-Live rebate offer and they should fix you up (have your serial # ready).

Thanks! No mail-in needed. Smooth as silk.
post #232 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Cowboy View Post

Well-written e-mail. I'll be interested to see what they say.

Thanks ... as of right now (8:45 CST) I've yet to hear anything back from them. I was hoping to get a response from them either yesterday or today.

Quote:

I just watched Hulk last night, and it had audio drop out issues. How can LG get away with not even providing updates for Blu-Ray releases on a $900 player that is less than a year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I bet (for disc issues) the question that LG is asking themselves before issuing a 'fix' for a specific disc is:

1) Was the disc authored to BD specs or not?
If the disc wasn't authored to BD specs, they probably feel no reason to fix their player to play discs authored out of spec.

[snip]

My 2 cents. If you caused the problem fix it. Period.

(There in lies the problem with BD, the 'spec' is a moving target)

Agreed. The moving target spec is one of the biggest issues with Blu-ray. While I was never never fully sold on either format and bought movies from both camps, I certainly thought HD DVD had it right from the beginning when it came to being "finalized." Releasing a product that was still in flux like the BD profile was just a bad, bad, bad decision from the customer service point of view.

That being said, I still think LG is 100% obligated to continue updating the BH200 to deal with bugs and disk compatibility issues, whether they consider it a dead product or not. Every major manufacture out there (Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, Pioneer, etc.) continue to release updates for even their earliest Blu-ray players and we should expect nothing less from LG.

Quote:

Thanks for posting the phone number. If I don't get a reply soon, I'll give them a call. That's easier than making a copy of my sales receipt anyway. But, I really want to wait and see if they address my question about general firmware updates or not before calling.

Again, I'll keep you all posted. Anyone have an idea based on their experience about how long I should expect to wait for a reply?

-C.
post #233 of 2794 Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

@ casey.christian

Based on my previous emails, response was from next day to 2 business days. They have been pretty quick. In my rebate email, I mentioned that I expected a fw update for the 200 in the near future.

Mike T

post #234 of 2794 Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Word of advice, plz ask the customer service rep if they are familiar with the BD-Live rebate. I spent 15 min on and off hold while a guy tried to figure out what the heck I was talking about. After his supervisor got me to the correct LG area it went as easy as 1, 2, 3... Well worth the time for $75. BTW you must know your exact purchase date, if you don't have the receipt.
post #235 of 2794 Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Even though I told the woman on the phone my exact purchse date (since I had the receipt in front of me), she still said I had to e-mail/fax in a copy of my receipt for confirmation. I put one machine in under my mom's address, and the other under my current address so I can get checks for both of my BH200s
post #236 of 2794 Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM

I went ahead and made the call since I didn't get a reply from my e-mail yesterday. Gave them the serial #, date purchased and where I purchased it. They said my check will arrive in 15 to 21 business days.
post #237 of 2794 Old 11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I emailed LG last night, got an email from them at 7am this morning.

Now if I can just find that darn receipt when I get home.
post #238 of 2794 Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguapolo17 View Post

Even though I told the woman on the phone my exact purchse date (since I had the receipt in front of me), she still said I had to e-mail/fax in a copy of my receipt for confirmation. I put one machine in under my mom's address, and the other under my current address so I can get checks for both of my BH200s

I own three BH200s. Will they only give you one check per address?
post #239 of 2794 Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltie76 View Post

I own three BH200s. Will they only give you one check per address?

It seems that way.

I have two, so I filed one with my work address and the other with my home. Used different phones as well (one cell, one home)

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #240 of 2794 Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 AM

This may have already be posted, but how can I check if I have the latest firmware update for my BH200?

I have it connected via Ethernet. When I select "Software Update", it, searches for any new updates, and then I get a message saying "no update found. The current set is the latest version".

I would assume this means that the player has the latest firmware update, but when a new firmware update does become available, will I be able to download it via Ethernet, or will I have to download it from the LG website?
Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page